The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Should Start Heavy favorite for Wimbledon

+19
Jahu
newballs
JubbaIsle
lags72
break_in_the_fifth
hawkeye
ryan86
time please
summerblues
Danny_1982
lydian
Haddie-nuff
Gerry SA
_homogenised_
User 774433
banbrotam
LuvSports!
CaledonianCraig
invisiblecoolers
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Andy Should Start Heavy favorite for Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty Andy Should Start Heavy favorite for Wimbledon

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 14 Jun 2013, 5:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Andy Should Start Heavy favorite for Wimbledon, he is playing stunning tennis at the moment, might get ousted himself in queens early but in 5 sets he will be very difficult to overcome, compare to his other predators like Djokovic and Nadal, Murray is a natural mover on grass, with Federer not at his best and going older Murray with home support might make the British dream of a Wimbledon single title come true.

His two matches on 1 day was very impressive eventhough one of the matches against Mahut went for a tie breaker.

Murray looks in great shape, well toned with full of rested muscles gearing for a big go, if Murray could avoid Rafa early on then there is every bit of chance for him to go deep for the title.

Murray would ideally love Ferrer on his side of the draw and the top half be packed like Djoko - Federer semi and Djoko -Rafa quarters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited - To include Grass Court Metrix

I didn't open a thread trying to windup someone, when I said Andy is the favorite , not sure how many know this, Andy has the best stats for grass among current player ahead of Rafa and Djoko and only behind the the GOAT.

Lets look into  the stats

Player          Win/Loss  Career Index  Current Index

1]Roger Federer     121-17       .877              .941
7]Andy Murray       66-14        .825              .944
9]Rafael Nadal       50-12        .806              .500  [no Idea where this current Metrix came from, Davis cup? or may be last years included as well]
16]Leyton Hewitt   115-34       .772             .714
17]Novak Djokovic  47-14        .770              .750

Note: The number next to the name indicate the career position among all time modern era players, I am surprised to see Andy on list 7 eventhough I see him as a very good grass court player. OK

Considering Roger's form, I give the favorite tag to Andy, I place him as heavy favourite if Rafa is drawn on Nole's half and I presumed that will be the case and hoping for a Nole-Rafa quarters, not sure how many believe that would happen, Wimbledon quarters Nole-Rafa , you saw here first.censored thumbsup

Last edited by invisiblecoolers on Mon 17 Jun 2013, 10:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Andy Should Start Heavy favorite for Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty Re: Andy Should Start Heavy favorite for Wimbledon

Post by banbrotam Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:16 am

LuvSports! wrote:I don't think feds was lucky last year at wimby at all. Roof came on in the 3rd set.

I agree and said so at the time

But I also don't think it's right to cite Fed's SF match against DP as the reason he lost The Olympics, as some would have

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Andy Should Start Heavy favorite for Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty Re: Andy Should Start Heavy favorite for Wimbledon

Post by lydian Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:20 am

Murray's record is good, very good. But I still dont see him above some former greats I watched win multiple Wimbledon titles.

Given his recent run and you saying this is a version Nadal hasnt seen we surely expect him to rollover Nadal who'll come into Wimbledon with no grass matches under his belt since Rosol '12.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:21 am

I also agree (and I'm a mahoosive feds fan Smile ).

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:24 am

lydian wrote:
Murray's record is good, very good. But I still dont see him above some former greats I watched win multiple Wimbledon titles.

Neither do I - but as you say, we can do owt with stats

Given his recent run and you saying this is a version Nadal hasnt seen we surely expect him to rollover Nadal who'll come into Wimbledon with no grass matches under his belt since Rosol '12.

No. But it's folly to think that he definitely has mental scars about playing Rafa. Particularly given their last match. For me Andy would be slight favourite in any of his matches against his three rivals - but this could  change if he stutters early. Four joint favourites, with Andy slightly ahead is how I see it

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:00 am

Danny_1982 wrote:Murray 7th best grass record of all time? That's impressive and ridiculous for a guy who's never won Wimbledon. 

Murray's last 3 grass tournaments have been RU,W,W so he deserves to be there or thereabouts... However the other 3 have won Wimbledon and he hasn't, which is why I think one of those deserves the favourite tag. 

Great stats though IC.

Thx Danny thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:10 am

lydian wrote:So from that table, from Wiki, we're supposed to believe Murray is a better grass court player than Becker or Edberg? And he's less than 1% behind Sampras...sorry that renders the stats meaningless. The devil is in the detail. Because the numbers are low the %'s are skewed...Sampras has nearly 45 more wins but only 6 more losses yet as mentioned he's less than 1% ahead. Also, if we look at grass slams alone then Murray drops to 10th behind Becker (5th) and Edberg (8th). In fact he's behind Djokovic (joint 8th). We know he's great over 3 sets, it's over 5 sets he needs to make his prowess count in these prime years he's now hit.

The Table is not from Wiki its from ATP website Fedex reliability zone.

Believe it or not Andy is one of very good grass court player, yes he hasn't won a Wimbledon but neither did he win USO before 2012 but he did win that, form counts a lot, Andy in my view should and will start favourite ahead of Djoko and the current form of Federer, with resepct to Nadal, its difficult to say anything coz I don't know what Nadal will turn up for Wimbledon this year.

Current Murray CAN beat Sampras on grass on 3 setters, yes Sampras is way better grass court player than Andy is but in general Andy will have his chances and those stats of performance don't lie.OK

If George Bastl could beat an off peak Sampras in fast grass, why can't a peak Murray beat Sampras few occasions on a slow grass? Headscratch

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:20 am

The only piece of "luck" I would say that Federer had last year was I remember Benny missing a fairly routine shot that would have been given him match point. As it was he missed, Federer quickly took the set and then was steamrollering the final set 5-10 minutes later.

I see my number 10 pick for the title is eliminated already.Sad 

Ah, well, 9 to go.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:59 am

Those stats showing relative grass court success are from here http://www.atpworldtour.com/Reliability-Zone/Reliability-Grass-Career-List.aspx.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 11:03 am

If Murray wins the title, he'll jump to 4th. (3rd is possible if Rod Laver asks for a Wild Card and loses first round)

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:56 pm

Goffin loses to world 194 at 's-Hertogenbosch...from 4-2 up in 3rd  picard 

Wimbledon 4th seed Ferrer loses in first round in straights to Malisse picard
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:20 pm

damn it goffin! Sad

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 18 Jun 2013, 4:25 pm

lydian wrote:Goffin loses to world 194 at 's-Hertogenbosch...from 4-2 up in 3rd  picard 

Wimbledon 4th seed Ferrer loses in first round in straights to Malisse picard

Well you know Lyd Malisse is a vetran who has tasted success against big names in the past as well, and faster the surface it suits his game better, he was difficult round for Ferrer in small tournaments.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3