The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Men's Final (Preview and Match Thread) - Djokovic V Murray

+52
HM Murdock
Poorfour
monty junior
RinoGattuso
Colan (niner)
Calder106
erictheblueuk
carrieg4
sportslover
bsando
subhranshu.kumar.5
ONETWOFOREVER
Haddie-nuff
GLove39
The Facts
slashermcguirk
ryan86
ShahenshahG
LuvSports!
Cogen
whocares
Josiah Maiestas
Trebs
kingraf
summerblues
ChequeredJersey
Silver
Chydremion
Jahu
JuliusHMarx
JubbaIsle
laverfan
Steffan
Tropicalfruiter
Born Slippy
Fernando
Andy11
NickisBHAFC
Dave.
barrystar
Danny_1982
lydian
banbrotam
Bull
time please
invisiblecoolers
bogbrush
mthierry
socal1976
Good Golly I'm Olly
hawkeye
CaledonianCraig
56 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Men's Final (Preview and Match Thread) - Djokovic V Murray - Page 5 Empty Men's Final (Preview and Match Thread) - Djokovic V Murray

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Tomorrow will see the meeting of the World No.1 and World No.2 in the final. I really am in two minds about how it will pan out so I will try to look at the various ways it could go.

I will fancy Andy's chances strongly if his serve operates as well as it did against Janowicz but we know Djoko is a far superior returner. The rule of thumb between the pair is that the better server gets the result but we shall see if this is the case tomorrow.

Aggression is also key and Andy must be prepared to get his attacks in first and put Djokovic under pressure. If Andy lapses into bouts of passiveness as he can then he is asking for trouble and will hand the initiative to Novak and quite probably lose the match.

In my opinion and stats suggest as well that Andy is the better/more natural grass court player so that gives him an edge. On the other hand thus far at this Wimbledon I would say Novak has been more consistent so that works in his favour. That is why this is so tight to call in my opinion.

I am hoping that last year's pain Andy had to suffer in defeat will inspire him to do what it takes to avoid more heartbreak and push him over the winning line tomorrow. This could go either way and I just hope for the neutral that it is a classic match and no doubt the best player will win on the day. Enjoy the final.

Craig
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Men's Final (Preview and Match Thread) - Djokovic V Murray - Page 5 Empty Re: Men's Final (Preview and Match Thread) - Djokovic V Murray

Post by Jahu Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Yesssssssssssssssss Andy takes it yessssssssssssssssssssss
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Men's Final (Preview and Match Thread) - Djokovic V Murray - Page 5 Empty Re: Men's Final (Preview and Match Thread) - Djokovic V Murray

Post by summerblues Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Well done Andy, congrats!

That last game was too close for comfort but he did it.

It certainly would have been odd if he had ended up his career with one slam only.

BTW, this is the first time since W10 that Nole lost a slam match in straight sets.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Boring last game though.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:26 pm

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!! HE'S DONE IT! 77 YEARS OF HURT! HAS! GONE! ANDY MURRAY, YOU BEAUTY! YOU INSPIRATION! YOU HERO!!!!!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:26 pm

best game of the match, congrats andy murray, WIMBLEDON CHAMP!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:26 pm

Superb play by Andy. Djoko a little tired from the SF, but Andy too good for him today.

Long live Ivan Lendl!!!
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:28 pm

Will BBC still repeat whether Murray can win a Wimbledon or not? Laugh

Lendl has made a man out of a boy. thumbsup

Murray. clap clap

Djokovic. Upwards and onwards.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Facts Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:28 pm

The extent they have slowed down the courts is quite appalling tbh one of the most poor Wimbledon finals in history

The Facts

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:29 pm

Straight sets!! With this Novak moves to one defeat from joining Federer on a career Grand slam of GS final defeats. He just needs to lose the Aus Open final. Nadal and Murray just need RG defeats to achieve the feat.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:32 pm

Phew!! In fairness I think Andy's been better all day - but with Novak you never know

I also think that it was the faster playing conditions that caused Novak's error as if you see their head to head on the fastest of their matches, I'd argue that Andy has won them all

Genuinely rivalry now, certainly away from clay they've contested all but one of those slam finals

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cogen Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Is it sad that this is perhaps the happiest day of my life? notworthy 

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:34 pm

Cogen wrote:Is it sad that this is perhaps the happiest day of my life? notworthy 
Really?

he won Wimbledon not like it was 77 years in the making lol

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:34 pm

The Facts wrote:The extent they have slowed down the courts is quite appalling tbh one of the most poor Wimbledon finals in history

Eh? If you think it was poor, fair enough - but that was easiest the fastest Wimbledon final in years, which is what helped Murray. He constantly had first serves in the 125-131 zone etc

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:36 pm

Yahoo 

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:36 pm

Cogen - In a way, yes. But I understand what you mean, when a player you like finally comes good, it does feel like a personal triumph. Congrats to all Murray fans, and the man himself
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:36 pm

The Facts wrote:The extent they have slowed down the courts is quite appalling tbh one of the most poor Wimbledon finals in history

1973 W? Did you watch that?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Facts Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:38 pm

That's hardly saying much it has played like a wet clay court for the last 4 years at least

Neither Andy nor Novak would make a final in years when Wimbledon was played like an actual fast grass event

The Facts

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:38 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:No I say you are wrong. Hatred comes from people who have issues specifically towards one of the players and I don't get the gist that there is anything of that towards Novak. Any cheering of double faults and missed shots are by over-excited supporters, not what you want to see, but understandable in the heat of the moment. This s not down to any maliciousness though just more over-enthusiasm. If Novak wins Centre Court will stand as one to greet him as the champion.

Congratulations Andy... Im sure you are over the moon Craig clap  well done

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo 

The boy done good.

Congrats to Andy and his team and family and also to his supporters!

Djokovic a class act as always.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Indeed over the moon and in straight sets as well. Immense achievement and Andy is now a duel slam winner joining many other great players on that mark.

Sure Novak played poorly but Andy came through torrid times to win. Besides I have sat through slam finals that Andy has not done himself justice in do what goes around comes around I suppose. As always Novak was a great sport in defeat - he handles himself very well as a No.1 should. Credit to him - it wasn't his day but he'll win many more slams.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:44 pm

My fellow Murray fans of little faith - I told you it would be easy laughing Erm Hug 

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:46 pm

kingraf wrote:Cogen - In a way, yes. But I understand what you mean, when a player you like finally comes good, it does feel like a personal triumph. Congrats to all Murray fans, and the man himself    

Cheers kingraf. I hope Rafa's back and we can have the fab four in the US Open semi's and some fun Smile 

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Congrats Murray fans, he played well. Never seen djokovic serve so poorly. He just wasn't at the races today, totally out of sorts. Well done Murray

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Boxing real mans sport?

Pffffft

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:48 pm

One: What are you on? Can I have some?
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Congrats to Murray fans for the faith in him. thumbsup

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:49 pm

Jahu wrote:One: What are you on? Can I have some?

Its called truth

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:50 pm

The Facts wrote:That's hardly saying much it has played like a wet clay court for the last 4 years at least

Neither Andy nor Novak would make a final in years when Wimbledon was played like an actual fast grass event

Nonsene. Please if you're going to have a wind up at least have some semblence of truth in your comment.

Murray would have had no problem in the old days simply because;-

1) He has fast hands
2) Loves fast condtions as he feeds on pace
3) Is the msot natural player at the net in today's game (doesn't do it enough)
4) Is a great returner

If anything the medium paced hard courts go against him - virtually all Andy's 29 wins (I think it is now) have come from the 29 'fastest' courts he played on

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:50 pm

This is in my top 10 of tennis finals that has made me so happy to see the player I wanted to win, win it Smile
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:52 pm

Commiserations to Novak fans. And to Novak.

Murray.... Yahoo  what a performance. What a way to win it! I think I had 3 heart attacks in that last game!

Andy Murray, Wimbledon champion!! clap Yahoo Bubbly 

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:52 pm

Jahu wrote:One: What are you on? Can I have some?

If its doing that to his head I most certainly do NOT want it. Laugh 
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:52 pm

So he won Wimbledon not like he is a god too many people sucking up to him, congrats to him but come on his not the best in the sport or good enough to be considered no1

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by The Facts Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:54 pm

Murray more natural then Roger at the net lool and your calling me the windup

Have you only been watching the Roger of the last 2 years???

The Facts

Back to top Go down

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:54 pm

Well I will not say it was destiny, I will not say Djoko was tired, I will not say crowd support helped him, Only I will say Andy you are a champion. Andy you deserves the title. Andy you are the man of each of tennis fan. Andy just awesome. Andy superb. I dont have words to express your game. Played like champ and finally won like a champ. Congrats all my friends from UK. Your lad has done it. Congrats!!!!!
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:55 pm

OneTwo is the resident Conspiracy Theorist on 606. He thinks that the Queen and the rest of Planet Zog control the Wimbledon result. Let him be. Plenty comparisons between boxing and tennis, as Murray will attest.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:55 pm

It's a shame so many are so bitter. Novak can take his beatings, it's a mark of the man.

But the fact is, Andy Murray is the Wimbledon Champion.

Those who don't like it, tough! Wink

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tropicalfruiter Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:56 pm

kingraf wrote:Straight sets!! With this Novak moves to one defeat from joining Federer on a career Grand slam of GS final defeats. He just needs to lose the Aus Open final. Nadal and Murray just need RG defeats to achieve the feat.      

What a deliciously freakazoid stat to pull out at a moment like this. You champ!

Tropicalfruiter

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:56 pm

Wow - I have to say Facts and Bull are classic sore losers. Toys out of pram guys? Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Bull wrote:So he won Wimbledon not like he is a god too many people sucking up to him, congrats to him but come on his not the best in the sport or good enough to be considered no1

picard 

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by The Facts Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Tough on Del Boy most defiantly have to feel for him

The Facts

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Sore losers haha no, i dont care Julius lol if he won he won good for him lol

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:58 pm

2nd set and 3rd set were brutal for tennis, poor Novak was obviously not recovered from Delpo, well done to Argentina they deserve this victory
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:59 pm

Great result Andy

Wow - The football wums are out in force on here ! LOL

Never mind wums the season will soon be starting.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:59 pm

laverfan wrote:Congrats to Murray fans for the faith in him. thumbsup

Hear hear. Sincere congratulations to all Murray fans, an excellent performance today and he deserves the trophy. After the heartbreak last year, it's good to see him win it at the very next attempt. Well done, Andy!

Commiserations to socal, HM and slasher - Novak not really at the races today, but there'll be other opportunities Hug 

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:00 pm

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo 
Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly 

So happy Very Happy 

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:00 pm

Laugh loving all the haters.

One "Fact" that cannot be escaped though, is that Andy Murray is Wimbledon champion!!! Yahoo

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:00 pm

Well done to Murray. Brilliant stuff from him, and brilliant from Novak in defeat.

Now you have to wonder just how many Murray can win?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:00 pm

That was one of the worst finals I've ever seen !

I couldn't be happier !
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Djokovic gets annoyed too easily and can't hit many winners, but come on let's give Delpo his due, totally gave Britain it's first Wimbledon since 1936
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:02 pm

The Facts wrote:Murray more natural then Roger at the net lool and your calling me the windup

Have you only been watching the Roger of the last 2 years???

I've been watching Tennis for nearly 40 years and was a fan of Federer way before his infamous Sampras victory. He's good at the net, but I think Andy is better - not miles better, but better - that's my opinion

I think that we have to call into question your knowledge of the game if you think that my point is a windup. I'm quite happy to concede if put to me in the correct manner, that Roger might be better. Would you like to try?

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next