The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster v Edinburgh

+22
BigGee
Artful_Dodger
Golden
GLove39
theshanker
gleesonisgod
MrsP
rodders
VinceWLB
Kingshu
Captain_Sensible
marty2086
geoff999rugby
The Great Aukster
clivemcl
Pete330v2
geoff998rugby
Notch
RDW
Standulstermen
RuggerRadge2611
Jenifer McLadyboy
26 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ulster v Edinburgh - Page 2 Empty Ulster v Edinburgh

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 20 Nov 2013, 3:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Morning Ulster fans - anyone fancy setting up a match thread for your game with us? Your home game so only fair! Very Happy

Plus I can't be bothered...
That's what you call dialing in a post. Good effort clap
Enjoy! Smile

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Ulster v Edinburgh - Page 2 Empty Re: Ulster v Edinburgh

Post by Notch Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:09 pm

I've liked Doyle based on what I've seen in an Ulster shirt, be it Ravens or seniors. I don't have any problem with him and I think he has a great opportunity to stake a claim with Henry out injured.

McKinney now has an opportunity to get it right. He would be well advised not to squander it!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:09 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:
Notch wrote:I think we should all reserve judgment on Ireland team selections until at least the Six Nations.

I'm pretty gutted for Tuohy, Trimble and Luke Marshall but I'm still 100% behind the coaches and the players selected. I still think that the longer Schmidt is in the role the more players from other provinces will get the nod in 50/50 calls as the Leinster lads headstart in terms of systems and tactics becomes less relevant and the others catch up.
That is my attitude as well but if I see Ross 3, Toner 5, D'Arcy 12, BOD 13 I am afraid that's it I had enough
So thats not your attitude then! After all, that's now almost certain to be the selection- maybe McCarthy instead of Toner.

Last edited by Notch on Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:10 pm

I have to say I've always found Doyle to be very solid when needed. I'm hoping for a big game from him. And a big game from Tuohy, Trimble, Cave, Marshall and Henderson - all hopefully will show Joe he made a mistake not picking them.

also, heres a little clip of interview with Ferris which is due to be on Newsline this evening

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25037374?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:12 pm

Notch wrote:I think we should all reserve judgment on Ireland team selections until at least the Six Nations.

I'm pretty gutted for Tuohy, Trimble and Luke Marshall but I'm still 100% behind the coaches and the players selected.
That's the spirit.

Very double edged sword having so many Leinster players in the Ireland squad. Not great if it were to continue (From a purely Ireland perspective) Hopefully it is just Joe feeling his way into the job and we will see more and more from other provinces as time passes.

Ulster seem to have a knack for good young Irish backs (And Henderson) Hopefully Munster can start churning out forwards like they used to and we'll all be happy. The like of Henshaw and Marmion out west could be the beginnings of a beautiful relationship too.

Sorry for putting this on the Ulster thread. The Intl ones are a bit long, boring and full of circular arguments.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:17 pm

Indeed they are.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:26 pm

Notch wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:

I'm pretty gutted for Tuohy, Trimble and Luke Marshall but I'm still 100% behind the coaches and the players selected. I still think that the longer Schmidt is in the role the more players from other provinces will get the nod in 50/50 calls as the Leinster lads headstart in terms of systems and tactics becomes less relevant and the others catch up.
That is my attitude as well but if I see Ross 3, Toner 5, D'Arcy 12, BOD 13 I am afraid that's it I had enough
So thats not your attitude then! After all, that's now almost certain to be the selection- maybe McCarthy instead of Toner.
My attitude is wait and see what changes are made and hope Schmidt starts doing the needful
Till that first 6N team is selected I'll reserve judgement and hope that this Autumn has been about damage limitation and him finding his feet.

However if those 4 are selected in that game I will be fed up and will not be going to the match and will start to wonder if Schmidt is any better than Kidney.
It is not just those 4 players they are a symbol. There were some serious tactical errors against Australia as well e.g. slow defence. That will not be fixed against NZ with D'Arcy and BOD in the centre.  
I think he is better but the selection in the 6N will give us a better idea.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:40 pm

Apologies, thought you meant for this game. Yes, I'll be pretty severely disappointed if we aren't bedding in at least one new first-choice centre in the Six Nations.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 21 Nov 2013, 1:41 pm

Just think in 10 years we'll be saying "Hey, remember D'Arcy and BOD? What a great centre partnership. For 3 years. And then 6 full years of mediocrity."
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 21 Nov 2013, 2:47 pm

Yeah he'll be feeling his way into the post and trying to undo the Kidney legacy. I mean I won't blame him for a bad autumn anymore than I ever claimed Kidney brought us the Grand Slam. I am just a little piddled off that his selections haven't been as much of a change from the last regime as I had hoped, fingers crossed for 2014 though.

Anyway, back to the Ulster match, the one that actually matters and SUFTUM.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 21 Nov 2013, 2:48 pm

clivemcl wrote:I have to say I've always found Doyle to be very solid when needed. I'm hoping for a big game from him. And a big game from Tuohy, Trimble, Cave, Marshall and Henderson - all hopefully will show Joe he made a mistake not picking them.

also, heres a little clip of interview with Ferris which is due to be on Newsline this evening

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25037374?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
What's the contect there Clive, IT department here won't allow me to see that. Is he looking positive?

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 21 Nov 2013, 3:03 pm

He is upbeat but he is an incurable optimist

Add 3 weeks to any date he gives for being ready.

As I maintained a couple of weeks back a run out prior to the last 2 rounds of the HC is the best we can hope for

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 21 Nov 2013, 5:29 pm

I think J McKinney is being written off very quick by some fans.
I haven't really got to see him to make a judgement, and i bet a lot of people saying he's not up to it haven't either.
J McKinney apparently did have a good stint in the championship, before coming back, it hopefully has put him in good stead.
A few years ago when Steenson was mentioned as a possibility as a back up for baby Humph people said he wasn't up to standard, but he's gone from Championship to being a first choice h-cup team out half.
Lets see if J McKinney can develop the same way.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 21 Nov 2013, 5:37 pm

Not writing him off as a player but a few weeks ago he showed a poor attitude

Hence the doubts

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 21 Nov 2013, 7:04 pm

Just seen Ferris on the box.

Reading between the lines my guess is Ospreys at Home 7th Feb

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Thu 21 Nov 2013, 8:35 pm

Switch Rennie and Grant and this is up there with one of the biggest pack Edinburgh has fielded in the last few years.

Ulster is fielding a pretty strong team at the end of the day too. Really excited about this now.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 22 Nov 2013, 9:23 am

geoff999rugby wrote:Just seen Ferris on the box.

That piece on Ferris was a bit depressing to be honest. It doesn't fill me with much confidence of him making it back.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 22 Nov 2013, 10:09 am

rodders wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:Just seen Ferris on the box.

That piece on Ferris was a bit depressing to be honest. It doesn't fill me with much confidence of him making it back.
He was quite deliberate when he claimed "I will play for Ulster again". Are you getting confused between it being a depressing story, and a depressing outlook?

I felt for him actually. But I admire his determination. I'm still being optimistic!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 22 Nov 2013, 11:06 am

Still not running on that ankle except in the reduced gravity treadmill or the pool?

Shocked 

Mind you, UR must think there is a chance or they would not be spending all that energy in trying to rehabilitate him.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 22 Nov 2013, 11:30 am

I was discussing with friends last night - when does the six months run out, and what is likely to happen at that point?

If it expires and he's only a few weeks away from an AIL game, whats the shortest contract they can extend it to? Or might they say 'we'll keep an eye on the AIL games and then consider re-signing you?".

Would Ferris agree? Japan season is nearly over, so that option is out for the immediate.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 22 Nov 2013, 11:34 am

I don't think a months extension or so would be out of the question given how long they have invested in it.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 22 Nov 2013, 11:38 am

Some would argue, we have given him enough money to be on the sidelines...

Would Ferris really be all that upset if he had to continue his rehabilitation unpaid?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 22 Nov 2013, 11:41 am

I don't know but I don't think he will have to. 6 weeks takes us roughly to the end of his contract. If he is showing no adverse effects then a few weeks extra won't worry them

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 22 Nov 2013, 11:51 am

Exactly a couple of months extension to the end of Feb seems likely

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 22 Nov 2013, 11:58 am

MrsP wrote:Still not running on that ankle except in the reduced gravity treadmill or the pool?

Shocked 

Mind you, UR must think there is a chance or they would not be spending all that energy in trying to rehabilitate him.
Yeah in answer to Clive that's what I was thinking too - 12 months off and to be at this stage in terms of rehab is....well.... I was shocked to be honest.

I thought he was much further on. Can't see how he is close to coming back based on that piece.

For sure I admire his determination. I'd say most athletes would be 6 months into retirement by now.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Fri 22 Nov 2013, 12:00 pm

Trimble
Marshall
Cave
Allen
Gilroy

Arguably better than

Bowe
Darce
BOD
Kearney
Kearney

And if Olding hadn't got injured (put him at fb and gilroy on wing) it certainly would be better

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 12:05 pm

rodders wrote:
MrsP wrote:Still not running on that ankle except in the reduced gravity treadmill or the pool?

Shocked 

Yeah in answer to Clive that's what I was thinking too - 12 months off and to be at this stage in terms of rehab is....well.... I was shocked to be honest.

I thought he was much further on. Can't see how he is close to coming back based on that piece.

For sure I admire his determination. I'd say most athletes would be 6 months into retirement by now.
rodders if you look at Ledley King who played for Spurs, he didn't train with the rest of the team for most of the week and only swam and used the anti gravity treadmill this may be what Ferris needs to do to get by until the end of the season and then assess everything at the end of the season if he stay injury free but his Ireland career may need to be sacrificed if he wants to keep playing

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by theshanker Fri 22 Nov 2013, 1:07 pm

Williams and Porter are out of tonight's match

theshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 22 Nov 2013, 1:13 pm

Where are you getting that? At least Wilson is there if true

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by theshanker Fri 22 Nov 2013, 1:28 pm

richard mulligan ‏@r_mulligan1 3m
#rugby nick williams and ian porter ruled out injured for @UlsterRugby v @EdinburghRugby @RaboDirectPRO12

Yep at least we have Wilson suppose Shanahan on the bench and ?

theshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 1:34 pm

McComish on the bench too

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 22 Nov 2013, 1:36 pm

theshanker wrote:Williams and Porter are out of tonight's match
For dear sake! Just when we thought we were doing well getting players back. Lets hope Marshall doesn't get injured!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 22 Nov 2013, 1:40 pm

Schmidt basically just said D'arcy only got picked because of the doubt over Sexton. There was a likelihood that Jackson would play and he basically didnt want the inexperience of both Jackson and Marshall.

In fairness, I do appreciate the way he talks about the guys who missed out and actually tries to give reason and praise.

Deccie used to just say
"Well you know, they both did very very well in training, but in the end I just chose one, and thats just that!"

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 22 Nov 2013, 1:43 pm

Bloody hell- when are we going to get a break with injuries! Hope big Nick is back soon.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 1:56 pm

clivemcl wrote:Schmidt basically just said D'arcy only got picked because of the doubt over Sexton. There was a likelihood that Jackson would play and he basically didnt want the inexperience of both Jackson and Marshall.

In fairness, I do appreciate the way he talks about the guys who missed out and actually tries to give reason and praise.

Deccie used to just say
"Well you know, they both did very very well in training, but in the end I just chose one, and thats just that!"

Sometimes you have to take a risk though, the two of them have held up in big games before it would be a natural progression to have them in against the ABs

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:08 pm

censored I have to say I am a bit annoyed

Some weeks ago Gilroy came back too early, and against medical advice, and had to miss another bunch of games as a consequence.

I knew Porter wasn't fit, and by the looks of it Williams wasn't either

Not the coaching staffs finest hour censored

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:40 pm

Peesh.

Not what we needed but it'll just have to do.
Why can't they just have released Jackson and give him some gametime.
irFU Too!!!
SUFTCAB!!!

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:09 pm

Glad the Wales-Tonga game is on tonight as well. 20 minutes to judge whether or not we're going to get gubbed or not. (And given how that kick off went I'm not confident!) if yes then other to that.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:10 pm

When's the last tine you saw a ref give a free kick for being in front of the kicker at a kick off??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:12 pm

Never!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:20 pm

Nervy start from both teams

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:24 pm

What a lovely try, great stuff by Clyne & Du Preez

Last edited by GLove39 on Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:24 pm

Du preez!!

What a signing that guy is

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:24 pm

Du Preez is a terrific player!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:26 pm

Awful from Allen there. A gift of a try.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:27 pm

Nel is getting a bit of a hiding at scrumtime, time for Cross to show everyone what he can do?

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:37 pm

Diack having a great game as captain!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:38 pm

Been a decent half from Edinburgh before that try - need to keep it going and get some consistent possession

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:45 pm

Unreal small paul!!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 22 Nov 2013, 7:45 pm

McKinney has been doing well.