The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd's treatment of Khan is 'a disgrace', says Bob Arum

+25
JabMachineMK2
horizontalhero
Izzi
quentins_monkey
RanjitPatel
TopHat24/7
Boxtthis
huw
jimdig
joeyjojo618
Derbymanc
titaniumjaw
Hammersmith harrier
ONETWOFOREVER
catchweight
hogey
hazharrison
kingraf
Valero's Conscience
Rowley
KingMonkey
Gerry SA
Rodney
TRUSSMAN66
Strongback
29 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Floyd's treatment of Khan is 'a disgrace', says Bob Arum - Page 3 Empty Floyd's treatment of Khan is 'a disgrace', says Bob Arum

Post by Strongback Wed 19 Feb 2014, 2:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

EXCLUSIVE: Promoter Bob Arum says Amir Khan is being "humiliated" by Floyd Mayweather and believes the American will fight Marcos Maidana.

By Gareth A Davies, Boxing Correspondent 10:08AM GMT 19 Feb 2014

Amir Khan has been ritually humiliated by Floyd Mayweather and made a laughing stock, claims veteran promoter Bob Arum, who has even labelled Mayweather's actions "a disgrace".

Arum, who promoted Muhammad Ali and has overseen the rise of Manny Pacquiao, believes Khan will not get the fight with Mayweather he has been holding out for since November last year. Mayweather has stated that he will fight on May 3, but is refusing to announce his opponent yet.

Khan signed a contract to fight Mayweather this year, made that fact public last year and, in the last two weeks, the undefeated American has set up a poll on his Twitter account asking fans to vote on whether he should fight Khan, or Argentinian Marcos Maidana.

"What he has done to Amir Khan is absolutely disgraceful, whether he ends up fighting him, or he doesn't," Arum told Telegraph Sport in an exclusive interview from Macau, China, where his boxer, Zou Shiming, the former double Olympic gold medallist, fights this weekend.

"My feeling is he is not going to fight him, but it's disgraceful to do that to another human being because you are in a position to do that. Just because he has the power where you can do something like that.

"If a promoter did it, if a Bob Arum or a Frank Warren did it the press would be all over them. They have allowed Myweather to get away with this s***. It's terrible.

"They have twisted the kid in the wind. Mayweather should be ashamed of himself. He's not going to sign the contract. I think he will fight Maidana."

Arum's advice? Forget about the payday with undefeated Mayweather - boxing's No 1 pound-for-pound fighter.
"Cut your ties with these people, be a man," he said. "You were the great hope of England at one point. I have Olympic gold medal winners with me. The pride with which Vasyl Lomachenko and Zou Shiming carry themselves is astonishing."

Lomachenko, the double Olympic gold medallist, and one of the most decorated amateur fighters in history, is in action next weekend in San Antonio, Texas, fighting Orlando Salido for the WBO featherweight world title - only his second professional fight.

"These people will never be humiliated like that," Arum added. "Amir Khan has put himself in a position where he can be humiliated. He's like a laughing stock. Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

"He's not fighting back and telling these guys to get lost. Get another promoter, maybe go back to Frank Warren, get another opponent and tell them to p*** off."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/10648329/Floyd-Mayweathers-treatment-of-Amir-Khan-is-a-disgrace-says-promoter-Bob-Arum.html

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Floyd's treatment of Khan is 'a disgrace', says Bob Arum - Page 3 Empty Re: Floyd's treatment of Khan is 'a disgrace', says Bob Arum

Post by catchweight Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:40 pm

Checkmate

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Floyd's treatment of Khan is 'a disgrace', says Bob Arum - Page 3 Empty Re: Floyd's treatment of Khan is 'a disgrace', says Bob Arum

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:48 pm

Ok It's checkmate..

Let's move on

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:48 pm

http://www.boxingscene.com/schaefer-rips-arum-over-khan-floyd-advises-bradley--74833

Ninth paragraph: Looks like Khan might be out of luck and Maidana might land the fight.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:51 pm

So much for the poll

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 20 Feb 2014, 2:57 pm

The poll means nothing. It's all about the money.

I reckon Showtime are in a pickle. Neither Khan or Maidana can bring home the numbers to satisfy Floyd's contract's renumeration clause.

Will Showtime continue with a loss making fight? I doubt it.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:00 pm

You are always reckoning or second guessing..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:01 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Ok It's checkmate..

Let's move on

When Truss is the voice of reason it is time to worry. However in this instance his advice would be wise to take.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:03 pm

TRUSSMAN is the capo di tutti capi on here. I wouldnt dare cross him. He is a law unto himself.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:14 pm

Now that's Khan's race is close to being run, maybe he'll actually face a top welterweight and try and earn a September showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Fight Brook/Thurman/Porter all undefeated. Take their 0, get back into the spotlight.

Alternatively he could fight Robert Guerrero, someone who Mayweather's camp rate highly. Guerrero's been inactive for 10-11months. Khan 18months. So neither can blame ring rust. As both are in the same boat.

Last edited by Gerry SA on Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:16 pm

Brook v Khan...is a good pickem fight

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:19 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Brook v Khan...is a good pickem fight
Probably the only fight I'd have Khan winning.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:21 pm

Khan beats Brook.

Brook has never been near world level.

Brook wouldn't take the fight anyway.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:38 pm

If Diaz, Limond, Gomez can made him spaghetti legged what do you think a hard punching legitimate big welterweight would do when he lands a shot on him. Khan's fast hands and flashy combos will look great until Brook lands a half decent shot then the fight will be over. Brook is just too big and hits too hard to lose to a chinny Light Welter, i think its pretty much the same story with all the top men in the division where Khan is concerned. I think he is better seeing if he can pick up another shot at a L/Welter strap, he will get blown away like smoke on the wind with his chin in the Welters.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:47 pm

hogey wrote:If Diaz, Limond, Gomez can made him spaghetti legged what do you think a hard punching legitimate big welterweight would do when he lands a shot on him. Khan's fast hands and flashy combos will look great until Brook lands a half decent shot then the fight will be over. Brook is just too big and hits too hard to lose to a chinny Light Welter, i think its pretty much the same story with all the top men in the division where Khan is concerned. I think he is better seeing if he can pick up another shot at a  L/Welter strap, he will get blown away like smoke on the wind with his chin in the Welters.    
Can't see him getting anywhere at 140lbs either TBH.

Garcia KOs him again.
Provodnikov gets an even more brutal KO.

That leaves Peterson...in DC...again.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:50 pm

Roldan, Kinchen and Barkley left Hearns spaghetti legged..

He then beat a great 175 pounder..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:55 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Brook v Khan...is a good pickem fight

What?

How does Khan deserve a shot at Brook????

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:56 pm

Please Truss dont put the Hitman on the same thread as Khan mate, its like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Lamborghini.
Hearns had the firepower to compete at any level, and the skills to make people miss.
Khan has a chin that's like a magnet for fists and his punch power is nothing special at lower weights at Welter he will hit like a girl.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 3:59 pm

But why hold Limond against him when he beat Maidana after him..Who's power is pretty tasty..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 20 Feb 2014, 4:00 pm

Gerry SA wrote:
hogey wrote:If Diaz, Limond, Gomez can made him spaghetti legged what do you think a hard punching legitimate big welterweight would do when he lands a shot on him. Khan's fast hands and flashy combos will look great until Brook lands a half decent shot then the fight will be over. Brook is just too big and hits too hard to lose to a chinny Light Welter, i think its pretty much the same story with all the top men in the division where Khan is concerned. I think he is better seeing if he can pick up another shot at a  L/Welter strap, he will get blown away like smoke on the wind with his chin in the Welters.    

Garcia KOs him again.

Imagine what happens when Mattysee hits him, he would be down so quick his Bambi on ice moves wont even get a showing.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 20 Feb 2014, 4:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:But why hold Limond against him when he beat Maidana after him..Who's power is pretty tasty..

Khan done fantastic against Maidana, but he was not much more than a crude slugger at the time and lacked the finesse to finish a clearly well out of it Khan. I think Maidana has improved significantly since then and if they fought again i would expect Maidana to put Khan away inside of 6 rounds.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 20 Feb 2014, 4:28 pm

Gerry SA wrote:

Garcia KOs him again.

Provodnikov is a nightmare fight for Khan. Constant power and pressure is not Khan's bag.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 20 Feb 2014, 5:09 pm

hogey wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:But why hold Limond against him when he beat Maidana after him..Who's power is pretty tasty..

Khan done fantastic against Maidana, but he was not much more than a crude slugger at the time and lacked the finesse to finish a clearly well out of it Khan. I think Maidana has improved significantly since then and if they fought again i would expect Maidana to put Khan away inside of 6 rounds.

I thought Broner did a better job against Maidana in all honesty.

Maidana won the first couple of rounds but after that Broner pretty much handled him but Broner was always chasing the fight as a result of the knockdowns. BTW the first knockdown was more of a push but it does'nt matter. Broner was clearly the better fighter in the latter part of the fight something Khan could not acheive against Maidana

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 5:10 pm

WTF

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 20 Feb 2014, 5:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:WTF

It is possibly the best thing ever written on here isn't it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 5:30 pm

Three letters that speak a thousand words

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 5:30 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
hogey wrote:

Maidana won the first couple of rounds but after that Broner pretty much handled him but Broner was always chasing the fight as a result of the knockdowns. BTW the first knockdown was more of a push but it does'nt matter. Broner was clearly the better fighter in the latter part of the fight something Khan could not acheive against Maidana

That's got to be about the most delusional post I've ever read on 606/v2.  Shocked

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 20 Feb 2014, 5:38 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
hogey wrote:

Sorry mate, everyone has their own opinion but that is miles from reality, Broner was battered and hurt several times in the later part of the fight and was well beat overall. Even in Broners best moments Maidana was always in control and landing thudding shots to put him back in his place.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 20 Feb 2014, 5:39 pm

I personally thought Frazier did a better job against Foreman than Ali.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Feb 2014, 5:49 pm

Thought Shuler had Hearns confused..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 20 Feb 2014, 5:57 pm

I think Maidana would go through Khan like a shark through a surfer in a rematch all the same though.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 20 Feb 2014, 6:12 pm

Broner was the better fighter after the knockdowns.

Not saying he owned Maidana but he was able to carry him for the remainder of the fight. In Khans case the latter part of the fight right up to the last round was basically life and death.

Question is simple

Who finished the stronger Khan or Broner?

Well Broner is the one who asked for an immediate rematch something Khan never did or ever will.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 20 Feb 2014, 6:16 pm

Broner lost, Khan won which is why one wants a rematch and one doesnt.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 20 Feb 2014, 6:25 pm

Has a boxer who won the first fight ever been the one clamouring for a rematch?
Floyd in his only rematch maybe?

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 20 Feb 2014, 6:29 pm

RanjitPatel wrote:Has a boxer who won the first fight ever been the one clamouring for a rematch?

The decent thing to do was to offer the rematch. It was a contentious decision so a rematch would not of surprised anyone. Broner opted to face Maidana, Khan RAN from Maidana as long as he could.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 20 Feb 2014, 6:30 pm

Ward is still trying to get Froch over for another ass whipping.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 20 Feb 2014, 6:30 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Broner was the better fighter after the knockdowns.

Not saying he owned Maidana but he was able to carry him for the remainder of the fight. In Khans case the latter part of the fight right up to the last round was basically life and death.

Question is simple

Who finished the stronger Khan or Broner?

Well Broner is the one who asked for an immediate rematch something Khan never did or ever will.

He got knocked down twice but lost far more than 2 rounds, seriously fella i dont know what Maidana v Broner fight you was watching but it clearly wasn't the one the rest of us watched. Broner had a few short spells of minor success as Maidana tired but it he was a clear winner and dominated the majority of the fight. Even Broner's mums would have struggled to make a case that her boy done well in that fight.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Thu 20 Feb 2014, 6:40 pm

I agree it would have been decent of him but cant see how anyone could hold it against him.
He proved a lot of doubters wrong and moved on. Broner compounded his doubters beliefs so wants another go.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 20 Feb 2014, 6:49 pm

One two that is the single worst post I've seen on here, devoid of any realism.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 21 Feb 2014, 9:21 am

Some of these posts make me feel like I've woken up in some strange reality where achievements aren't used to judge a fighter and to win a fight you actually have to lose it...

Back in the 80's and 90's there used to be a lot of LSD stories about people thinking they can fly, so they go to the top of a building and jump off. Now, is there anyway we can legalise LSD so we can rid the world a few more stupid people?

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 21 Feb 2014, 9:32 am

I do think It's personal with Khan...He has the habit of saying stupid things and It alienates people..

However he has quality record which few modern day Brits can match so balance is needed...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 21 Feb 2014, 9:41 am

catchweight wrote:Broner lost, Khan won which is why one wants a rematch and one doesnt.

Seems a simple concept, doesn't it?!?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 21 Feb 2014, 9:43 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
RanjitPatel wrote:Has a boxer who won the first fight ever been the one clamouring for a rematch?

The decent thing to do was to offer the rematch. It was a contentious decision so a rematch would not of surprised anyone. Broner opted to face Maidana, Khan RAN from Maidana as long as he could.

How was it a contentious decision??! What fight were you watching..??!?!?!

He won by a clear 2-3 round margin.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 21 Feb 2014, 9:48 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Broner was the better fighter after the knockdowns.

You do know he was knocked down in the 2nd AND the 8th right?

You talk about it like there were a couple of flash kd's in the first round or two and Broner dominated thereafter.

Even being generous to Broner, you could only find about 5 rounds to give him, which given the 2 10-8s for Maidana still gets you to a comfortable margin of 115-111 MM.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by quentins_monkey Fri 21 Feb 2014, 10:21 am

If Maidana does get the Mayweather fight how would people see a Khan v Broner fight going?

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 21 Feb 2014, 10:24 am

At what weight?

At WW I think Broner lacks the pop to take Khan out and his chin has been shown up to not cut the mustard at the weight either.

IF, and it's a big if as always with Khan, Khan fights the right fight and uses his reach advantage to pepper Broner from distance then I think he should take it. I don't think he can war it like MM.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri 21 Feb 2014, 10:28 am

Khan vs anyone in the top 5 & WW or LWW = loss.

Should beg to fight Brook.

Deserves him right, ducked the best British guys viewing them as too easy and below him. Guess what kiddo, you never deserved the FMJ fight and now have nothing to show for being so inactive. Should've perhaps fought someone better than a shot fat blown up LW, more so not get dropped and look absolute pony in the process.

God I'd love to see Khan fight Prov, could have a sweepstake on how many seconds he lasts... I'll go first.. 7s.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 21 Feb 2014, 10:31 am

Khan has only lost to a top fighter in Garcia...

Prescott was an early blip...

You'd think he was s**te..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri 21 Feb 2014, 10:37 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Khan has only lost to a top fighter in Garcia...

Prescott was an early blip...

You'd think he was s**te..

Garcia... Peterson... Prescott... Scrapes past Maidana, barely beats a shot fat LW in Diaz....

Yup, I think he's s**t. Fights like a man with an iron chin, sadly not smart or good enough to box smart as he leaves that little glass chin dangling when throwing punches. So yup, don't rate him technically or mentally. Brook smashes him to pieces as does any other top 5 WW or LWW

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 21 Feb 2014, 10:37 am

His 'loss' to LP should be an NC.

This debate would be much more fun if Az were still around............

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 21 Feb 2014, 10:38 am

Do you not think the exaggeration of Khan getting knocked out early off anyone has went a little too far ? Although his chin isn't that of a Wayne McCullough to suggest anyone who taps him on the chin is going to to turn him into Bambi is absurd. Am I wrong in that he went 12 rounds with Maidana ? Suggests it isn't that bad.

Id heavily favour Khan over the one paced Brook.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next