The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd's treatment of Khan is 'a disgrace', says Bob Arum

+25
JabMachineMK2
horizontalhero
Izzi
quentins_monkey
RanjitPatel
TopHat24/7
Boxtthis
huw
jimdig
joeyjojo618
Derbymanc
titaniumjaw
Hammersmith harrier
ONETWOFOREVER
catchweight
hogey
hazharrison
kingraf
Valero's Conscience
Rowley
KingMonkey
Gerry SA
Rodney
TRUSSMAN66
Strongback
29 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Floyd's treatment of Khan is 'a disgrace', says Bob Arum - Page 4 Empty Floyd's treatment of Khan is 'a disgrace', says Bob Arum

Post by Strongback Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

EXCLUSIVE: Promoter Bob Arum says Amir Khan is being "humiliated" by Floyd Mayweather and believes the American will fight Marcos Maidana.

By Gareth A Davies, Boxing Correspondent 10:08AM GMT 19 Feb 2014

Amir Khan has been ritually humiliated by Floyd Mayweather and made a laughing stock, claims veteran promoter Bob Arum, who has even labelled Mayweather's actions "a disgrace".

Arum, who promoted Muhammad Ali and has overseen the rise of Manny Pacquiao, believes Khan will not get the fight with Mayweather he has been holding out for since November last year. Mayweather has stated that he will fight on May 3, but is refusing to announce his opponent yet.

Khan signed a contract to fight Mayweather this year, made that fact public last year and, in the last two weeks, the undefeated American has set up a poll on his Twitter account asking fans to vote on whether he should fight Khan, or Argentinian Marcos Maidana.

"What he has done to Amir Khan is absolutely disgraceful, whether he ends up fighting him, or he doesn't," Arum told Telegraph Sport in an exclusive interview from Macau, China, where his boxer, Zou Shiming, the former double Olympic gold medallist, fights this weekend.

"My feeling is he is not going to fight him, but it's disgraceful to do that to another human being because you are in a position to do that. Just because he has the power where you can do something like that.

"If a promoter did it, if a Bob Arum or a Frank Warren did it the press would be all over them. They have allowed Myweather to get away with this s***. It's terrible.

"They have twisted the kid in the wind. Mayweather should be ashamed of himself. He's not going to sign the contract. I think he will fight Maidana."

Arum's advice? Forget about the payday with undefeated Mayweather - boxing's No 1 pound-for-pound fighter.
"Cut your ties with these people, be a man," he said. "You were the great hope of England at one point. I have Olympic gold medal winners with me. The pride with which Vasyl Lomachenko and Zou Shiming carry themselves is astonishing."

Lomachenko, the double Olympic gold medallist, and one of the most decorated amateur fighters in history, is in action next weekend in San Antonio, Texas, fighting Orlando Salido for the WBO featherweight world title - only his second professional fight.

"These people will never be humiliated like that," Arum added. "Amir Khan has put himself in a position where he can be humiliated. He's like a laughing stock. Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

"He's not fighting back and telling these guys to get lost. Get another promoter, maybe go back to Frank Warren, get another opponent and tell them to p*** off."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/10648329/Floyd-Mayweathers-treatment-of-Amir-Khan-is-a-disgrace-says-promoter-Bob-Arum.html

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Floyd's treatment of Khan is 'a disgrace', says Bob Arum - Page 4 Empty Re: Floyd's treatment of Khan is 'a disgrace', says Bob Arum

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:40 am

Izzi wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Khan has only lost to a top fighter in Garcia...

Prescott was an early blip...

You'd think he was s**te..

Garcia... Peterson... Prescott... Scrapes past Maidana, barely beats a shot fat LW in Diaz....

Yup, I think he's s**t. Fights like a man with an iron chin, sadly not smart or good enough to box smart as he leaves that little glass chin dangling when throwing punches. So yup, don't rate him technically or mentally. Brook smashes him to pieces as does any other top 5 WW or LWW

Beats Maidana handily, all because he has a couple of bad rounds doesn't mean he 'scraped'. Was a clear winner. Diaz was a nothing win, jut about getting out there with the new trainer. PM (who Broner actually did scrape by) is a good win, as was Zab and certainly Kotelnik - just because he isn't 'fashionable' doesn't stop him being an upper tier operator (also beat Maidana, as well as Alexander in most people's eyes).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Floyd's treatment of Khan is 'a disgrace', says Bob Arum - Page 4 Empty Re: Floyd's treatment of Khan is 'a disgrace', says Bob Arum

Post by Izzi Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:43 am

To be fair Rodders Khan has gone down more times than Jenna Jameson. He'd be most peoples pick for having the worst chin of any Ring mag top 10 rated fighters

Probably got sparked in a pillow fight when he was younger as well

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:45 am

well at least we all know you can be safely ignored without risk of missing something accurate, insightful or unbiased......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:50 am

Khan is vulnerable Izzi that's not up for debate , however to suggest someone just has to look at him and he goes down, seems to be a fans exaggeration to the extreme these days , if it were that bad then , we must credit him for being some fighter operating at a high level with a chin made of China.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by quentins_monkey Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:51 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:At what weight?

At WW I think Broner lacks the pop to take Khan out and his chin has been shown up to not cut the mustard at the weight either.

IF, and it's a big if as always with Khan, Khan fights the right fight and uses his reach advantage to pepper Broner from distance then I think he should take it.  I don't think he can war it like MM.

Khan v Broner is a fight I'd like to see, especially at WW, as Broner doesn't look as good at the weight and Khan hasn't looked great in his last few fights either, so would be a good measure of how he would cope at the higher weight. If Maidana does get the fight with Mayweather I'd like to see Khan fight (and hopefully beat) Broner on the undercard, followed by a rematch with Maidana towards the end of the year. If he were to win both of these I don't think people could really complain if he was in the mix for a fight with Mayweather next May.

Smile

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:52 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:well at least we all know you can be safely ignored without risk of missing something accurate, insightful or unbiased......

Accurate: Khan has been stopped by Prescott & Garcia early. Dropped by Diaz, Limond, Gomez, some French school teacher (missed anyone?)

Those are facts, so shut your irrelevant hole

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:02 am

Yet Maidana who is a proven banger and just dropped supposed 'slickster' Broner twice couldn't put Khan down once let alone get him out of their.

Come up with some better arguments you dumb twonk.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:02 am

Louis was knocked down plenty is he garbage too.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:14 am

Vince Lombardi wrote:It's not about whether you get knocked down, it's about whether you get up.

Only 2 people have ever dropped and stopped Khan, the rest he got back up and beat. That's what matters.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:20 am

Izzi wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:well at least we all know you can be safely ignored without risk of missing something accurate, insightful or unbiased......

Accurate: Khan has been stopped by Prescott & Garcia early. Dropped by Diaz, Limond, Gomez, some French school teacher (missed anyone?)

So that's six in his career to date- Joe Frazier went down six times in two rounds, the glass jawed Cat!

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:35 am

Izzi wrote:

They are facts, he is also a two weight world champion, also a fact.

Who has he ducked? Yes, there were a couple of domestic scraps he could have had but at the time he was fighting on big cards for more money against higher ranked opponents. If he had beat everyone domestically he would be considered in the same way as Brook, feeding off poor fighters and never having fought anyone world class.

He chin is vulnerable but to get to where he has with a major weakness like that again shows how good he is.

I'm not going to start saying he is a P4P ATG as it isn't as black and white in that he is not one of the best ever which makes him one of the worst ever.

He is one of the best ever Brits (probably top 20-25) and a top 10 of the last 20-25 years.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:35 am

Whoa whoa whoa.

ONETWO said...what?

Maidana won. It wasn't contentious, although I've heard you use the terms "schooled" and "robbery" massively out of context. I wonder if you even watch the same fights sometimes, let alone should have any sort of formed opinion.

Khan beat Maidana. It wasn't "close" or anything of the sort. Maidana was made to look like he was, a crude slugger for the majority of the rounds. He had a good period in the 10th and Khan looked like he was on his way out, but he rallied and actually made the last 2 rounds pretty close. Not just in my opinion but general consensus of people with eyes who aren't stupid.

I thought you were leaving because you didn't win an award anyway?

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:00 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Yet Maidana who is a proven banger and just dropped supposed 'slickster' Broner twice couldn't put Khan down once let alone get him out of their.

Yet Maidana has just beaten up on a lightweight and against a slickster his own size in Alexander he didn't even win a round.

Fact a boxer as average of Maidana would've won the fight if you take away the point deduction and being dropped says volumes about how much Khan struggled to get past a guy that someone as poor as Alexander shut out with stupid ease.

Face it sunshine, Khan is average.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:07 pm

And Huw, being a two weight world champ means jack **** in an age where there's belts flying round galore.

He has never been the man at the weight, in both weight classes by some margin.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:14 pm

sorry have i missed something, when did Khan become a 2 weight world champion, if memory serves me he has won the IBF and WBA belts in LWW only

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:17 pm

Izzi wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Yet Maidana who is a proven banger and just dropped supposed 'slickster' Broner twice couldn't put Khan down once let alone get him out of their.

Fact a boxer as average of Maidana would've won the fight if you take away the point deduction and being dropped says volumes about how much Khan struggled to get past a guy that someone as poor as Alexander shut out with stupid ease.

How'd you work that one out clever boy? 2 point turnaround would still have given Khan an SD win. Unless your fantasy also requires turning rounds on their head so not only does Khan not get a 10-8, he actually loses a 10-9......... Rolling Eyes

And if you're going to start doing silly things like that then Khan 'actually' beat LP......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:17 pm

Means nothing that's why there aren't any other guys apart from Froch fighting over here..With two belts with or behind them..at the moment..

You aren't 32...Your vocabulary and attitude is that of a teenager..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:19 pm

no-mas wrote:sorry have i missed something, when did Khan become a 2 weight world champion, if memory serves me he has won the IBF and WBA belts in LWW only

Depends how you regard trinkets like 'WBA International'.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:19 pm

Ah, thought he won one against MAB @ LW.

Blame Huw.

Either way he's even shi***r than first thought!

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:20 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
no-mas wrote:sorry have i missed something, when did Khan become a 2 weight world champion, if memory serves me he has won the IBF and WBA belts in LWW only

I think your being generous calling it a trinket mate

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:21 pm

no-mas wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Lol, you can get worse, Audley won the WBF 'International' HW title, or something like that.....!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:35 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
no-mas wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Lol, you can get worse, Audley won the WBF 'International' HW title, or something like that.....!

Dont you ever speak so poorly of the A Force, that is the perfect example of how a great man can make a title, not a title make the man!

Back on topic i am seeing both sides of everyones argument, i feel to diminish Khans best wins is going a bit far (Maidana was his best for me) however no one can deny the monumental downfall he is experiencing at the moment. I feel his attributes are over-rated somewhat, he has speed, no he flurries his opponents, worked lower down the ranks but the higher he has stepped up the less effective it is, he has power, how many people has he stopped lately or even hurt badly?
Im in the camp of i dont feel sorry for him and feel this is Kharma kicking his square in the nuts, before the Garcia fight, 'im a superstar, all these people call me out' he avoided his domestics depriving them of there chance at exposure and money, he messed Alexander around which is a fight he could have won, so for me i dont have any sympathy, he should go after Brook, would be a huge Brit showdown which would bring in the numbers and if he wins, he takes the number 1 contender spot for the IBF belt at WW and has beaten an unbeaten WW, so would be in a stronger position.

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:36 pm

Agree with no-mas, that's pretty much how I see it too.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:44 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Agree with no-mas, that's pretty much how I see it too.

im assuming you are refering to the Audley reference, good man  Very Happy   Hug 

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:46 pm

No-mas has pretty much nailed it.

Besides the Audley reference of course.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:46 pm

no-mas wrote:

im assuming you are refering to the Audley reference, good man Very Happy Hug

Haha, NO!!  boxing

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:50 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:No-mas has pretty much nailed it.

Its a good job my name isnt TRUSSMAN otherwise im sure there is an innuendo there

JabMachineMK2 wrote: Besides the Audley reference of course.

Philistine!!   boxing

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:51 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
no-mas wrote:

im assuming you are refering to the Audley reference, good man  Very Happy   Hug

Haha, NO!!  boxing

Another Swine!  boxing

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:54 pm

Bring back Audley! The man, my hero.

You can do it fella, you just have to believe!!!

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Izzi if you check the boxing news website there will be news to make your heart sing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:15 pm

Hope you're kidding..

The guy is deluded....

Like a burglar that keeps robbing your house...But more irritating..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:20 pm

Put Audley in with Joshua in a Battle of British Gold Medalists.... i think it would be the end of Audley....

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Rowley wrote:Izzi if you check the boxing news website there will be news to make your heart sing.

He's fighting Wlad??!

I've been in a coma and he's actually the undisputed HW champ and gone undefeated in 5 years?!

I'm about to go for a dump and watch the curling so bit tied up to be floating around the www.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:42 pm

Can I ask Huw what other division than 140lbs he's a world champion in because he did win one at lightweight?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:44 pm

Izzi wrote:And Huw, being a two weight world champ means jack **** in an age where there's belts flying round galore.

He has never been the man at the weight, in both weight classes by some margin.

World ranked number one going into the Garcia fight as well as being regarded on an almost even level with Bradley for two years, hardly far off being the man.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:28 pm

The saddest thing of all is that Khan has some great fights out there for him, this thread acknowledges plenty, and if just got out there and fought them he could easily earn a shot at Floyd.

Brook, Thurman, Broner.... Khan has the skills, he's exciting to watch, just get in there Amir and get it on.

How it feels to me is that he's shot and he knows it. Or that he's suffering from a distinct lack of confidence and wants a pay day before he gets out.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:33 pm

Good thing about Arum is he's a man of principle..

Floyd calls him tomorrow and say's "100 million let's split it"....

He'd say "Not after how you treated Khan.."

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:44 pm

Thurman would blast a hole in Khans face after 2 rounds.

Brook would be a good fight, Broner isn't anything special above SFW

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:53 pm

I wouldn't worry about onetwo leaving while I'm here Jabby...

At this moment though I'd pick Brook to win via come from behind LKO..against Khan.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:08 am

“Floyd is not the same fighter as he was three or four years ago,” Khan said to thenational. “That’s why he picks slow fighters, because he doesn’t have the same movement as he used to. I have been working very hard in camp on a Plan A, Plan B and Plan C on how to beat him…He has dodged two of the quickest fighters in the business because he knows I can give him a headache. If you look at his last three or four fights … all of them are slow, with no footwork, one-dimensional fighters. He cherry-picks them, to make himself look good.”

Interesting that Khan is calling Mayweather a cherry picker.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:26 am

Also says he's running scared of him.

Let's just hope whoever Khan fights next lays him out on his back and leaves his careers in tatters from which he'll never recover.

He should fire his retarded father as well as anyone else who advises him. Why not take the Alexander fight and then you'd still have time to stake a claim for FMJ? As it is he's coming off the back of an embarrassing performance against a massive underdog and sat there twiddling his thumbs.

Speaks volumes for his intelligence inside and outside the ring.

#khanvsbrook

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:30 am

People seem to be excusing Mayweather's behaviour because Khan has also treated other fighters badly in the past.

My view is two wrongs don't makes a right.

Whatever your take on Khan, and I'm no fan of the way some of his entourage have behaved in the past, I can only come to the conclusion that Floyd has royally taken the pi$$ out of Khan.

The Mayweather circus has chewed Khan up and spat him out.  Floyd getting a drama going only sells more tickets/PPV.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:37 am

People are excusing his behaviour because like Hearn and Haye..People are sick of you picking on him

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:52 am

So now Khan's outta the Mayweather race. 

Who's he gonna fight to stay relevant?

Garcia rematch? 
Peterson rematch?
Brook?
Guerrero?
Thurman?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:36 am

Strongback wrote:People seem to be excusing Mayweather's behaviour because Khan has also treated other fighters badly in the past.

My view is two wrongs don't makes a right.

Whatever your take on Khan, and I'm no fan of the way some of his entourage have behaved in the past, I can only come to the conclusion that Floyd has royally taken the pi$$ out of Khan.

The Mayweather circus has chewed Khan up and spat him out.  Floyd getting a drama going only sells more tickets/PPV.

In this case two wrongs do make a right, Khan should practice what he preaches before complaining about how he's been treated.

Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:46 am

Gerry SA wrote:So now Khan's outta the Mayweather race. 

Who's he gonna fight to stay relevant?

Garcia rematch? 
Peterson rematch?
Brook?
Guerrero?
Thurman?

Garcia. No chance, has Khan on Queer Street thinking his name is Delia again

Peterson. Probably, mainly as he's the worst of the list

Brook. Hits too hard and if he lost he'd have to retire as there wouldn't be any comeback, unless it was close. But don't view being unconscious on your back as running a guy close.

Guerrero. Best technically on the list, too dangerous

Thurman. Gets knocked in to Kingdom 'dad can we go to macdo for lunch' land

I'd be surprised he'd fight any of the above. Probably going to cherry pick some blown up LW that will probably drop him and make him look a bit average as usual

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Brook is a big fight to retire on

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:10 pm

Izzi - are you indian?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:14 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Izzi - are you indian?
He does have a rather irrational hatred for Khan doesn't he Shah, there's dislike and then there's the fairly distasteful comments Izzi makes.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:15 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Izzi - are you indian?

No. And before you down the race route I am white but also don't rate or particularly like Ricky Burns, Wlad K amongst other white fighters.

As that's what you're getting at.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next