The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DeGale V Groves - Official Prediction Thread

+48
KC
oxring
aja424
Billy Shears
bellchees
Ozzy3213
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Fernando
Jukebox Timebomb
scfc1992
Midnight Sting
Mr Bounce
sodhat
Colan (niner)
OasisBFC
88Chris05
John Bloody Wayne
marcellus wallace
J.Benson II
slash912
sugarrayb
Lord of Colchester
Small Time
jimdig
coxy0001
Eyetoldyouso
wow_junky
HumanWindmill
Rowley
captain carrantuohil
shenglong1983
joeyjojo618
Imperial Ghosty
Lumbering_Jack
Day V Lately
Boxtthis
Scottrf
Marky
BALTIMORA
azania
sonic_boom10
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Liam_Main
Young_Towzer
licence_007
AdZacO
Fists of Fury
Sugar Boy Sweetie
52 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

DeGale V Groves - Official Prediction Thread Empty DeGale V Groves - Official Prediction Thread

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri May 20, 2011 8:29 am

48 hours til fight time, it's been discussed enough on here but nows the time to make your official prediction - who, when and why?

Has to be DeGale for me, have been a fan of his boxing since he turned pro - seems to have a multitude of attributes, slick southpaw skills, good defence, speed, accurate punching. Groves can box too, but not as well as JD, although he's a better puncher and has guts. There are some variables that make me think it wont be all degale. Firstly, the more I see him the more I question whether he has the physicality to go to war at 168 - he looks slight in comparison to the likes of froch and dirrell etc. - even to groves. Also JD isnt a huge puncher, if GG feels he can walk him down he may be able to take degale to the trenches - unchartered territory for him.

Reckon with so much pride on the line it'll start cagey, not get going til maybe the 3rd, when GG will start trying to put the presure on. If DeGale decides to fight fire with fire it could be anyone's game, but I dont see this being a war. I see DeGale being a bit too evasive, a bit to quick and accurate with his hands and groves being a bit too wide open.

Am gonna go with DeGale via unanimous decision.

PS Hope I'm wrong, have gone off DeGale in the build up and wouldnt mind seeing Groves take him down a peg or two.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

DeGale V Groves - Official Prediction Thread Empty Re: DeGale V Groves - Official Prediction Thread

Post by Fists of Fury Fri May 20, 2011 8:31 am

Official head prediction: Degale Pts or late TKO
Official heart prediction: George to know the arrogant swine the hell out

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

DeGale V Groves - Official Prediction Thread Empty Re: DeGale V Groves - Official Prediction Thread

Post by AdZacO Fri May 20, 2011 8:37 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Official head prediction: Degale Pts or late TKO

Not much of a prediction in late KO or PTS.

DeGale KO 8th

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Fri May 20, 2011 8:38 am

DeGale KO 10th.

I hope Groves wins though.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri May 20, 2011 8:41 am

DeGale 3rd round, too fast and a much better fighter. However, i wouldn't be surprised if he finished it in the 1st round to be honest

Cleverly to beat the bum he's fighting within 4

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri May 20, 2011 8:43 am

Degale TKO 7

Degale to pick him off before going in for the finish.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri May 20, 2011 8:48 am

DeGold to KO the ugly kid in rounds 6-8.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Fri May 20, 2011 8:48 am

Groves inside 6 rounds

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri May 20, 2011 8:50 am

Groves UD

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri May 20, 2011 8:57 am

Last third stoppage for Degale. Much as I'd rather otherwise.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Fri May 20, 2011 8:58 am

Groves in the 9th, after surviving a DeGale onslaught in the opening couple of rounds.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri May 20, 2011 8:58 am

Just seen the Groves/Anderson fight.

Respect to Groves. He showed guts and heart. I hope he has tightened up his defense and stop the reflex based slipping all the time. If he does that I think his body punches will sap Degale's strength and I believe he is a better puncher than Gale.

But.....Groves is a small SMW. He should drop down to MW.

Still I have this feeling he will take DeGale.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri May 20, 2011 9:05 am

AdZacO wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:Official head prediction: Degale Pts or late TKO

Not much of a prediction in late KO or PTS.

DeGale KO 8th

Ok, Groves TKO 10. Yeah that's right!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri May 20, 2011 9:10 am

DeGale stoppage around the 9th.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri May 20, 2011 9:15 am

Degale late KO - I'll go for the 10th

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Fri May 20, 2011 9:32 am

If a painfully slow Anderson can get to Groves, cant see Degale having too much trouble, I think Degale will box his head off, and it will be stopped in the 7th.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri May 20, 2011 10:02 am

Degale TKO 6. Too fast, too sharp and just too good all around.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri May 20, 2011 10:06 am

Day V Lately wrote:If a painfully slow Anderson can get to Groves, cant see Degale having too much trouble, I think Degale will box his head off, and it will be stopped in the 7th.

Anderson used his strength to bully Groves. DeGale is not a physical fighter. Groves plants his feet and offloads. DeGale should win, but he wont. He wants to please the fans by being flashy. Groves is the more professional person and will win.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Fri May 20, 2011 10:12 am

Granted I'm not sure Degale can force Groves back like the tough Anderson did, but Groves vulnrabilities will still be there, hes easy to hit, and Degale is slick and sharp on the inside, can make people miss.

The bet worries me though, if Groves loses, how will he pay his tailor?

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri May 20, 2011 10:16 am

People do seem to be paying too much attention to the Anderson fight but completely ignoring the fact he's a strong, tough and physical fighter which Degale is not, he's quick but still not sold he has the power to trouble the top fighters.

Groves within 8

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri May 20, 2011 10:31 am

I think DeGale is a decent puncher, and is improving as he adapts to the pros.

Finishing combo here (10 min58):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEoqBWFeYmI#t=10m58s
The uppercut against Smith (36 min 10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8RvaVQp_Ms#t=36m10s

The Anderson fight wasn't Groves' only poor performance recently, he didn't look good in America.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Fri May 20, 2011 5:34 pm

DeGale TKO 9

we will have to wait for his next step up until we see some sense slapped into DeGale (imo.)

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri May 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Warren will tell both men to make a "show of it" no 1st round KO's, as the PPV thing is now a complete sham, and SKY would go down the tubes if this is a one round fight.

So expect a late DeGale KO,

Round 9.

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri May 20, 2011 7:41 pm

I'm still rather assuming that Groves isn't chinny and that in any case, DeGale doesn't hit hard enough to expose any flaw that may be there. Therefore, Groves to outwork DeGale, who still looks too amateurishly pleased with his handiwork at various points of his fights.

Groves by close, and possibly unpopular, decision.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Fri May 20, 2011 7:47 pm

I think the ref will stop it to be honest, Groves will take a fair bit of punishment unless hes picked up a defense from somewhere.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri May 20, 2011 7:47 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:I'm still rather assuming that Groves isn't chinny and that in any case, DeGale doesn't hit hard enough to expose any flaw that may be there. Therefore, Groves to outwork DeGale, who still looks too amateurishly pleased with his handiwork at various points of his fights.

Groves by close, and possibly unpopular, decision.

It's a ballsy prediction Capt and one I dearly hope is correct. Have no problem with cocky fighters but have to admit Degale's infantile blatherings calling Groves an ugly ginger kid with bad breath leaves me absolutely cold. He lacks neither the charisma, wit or intelligence to pull this particular act off.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri May 20, 2011 7:48 pm

I only wish the people picking Groves would go down the bookies!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri May 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Scottrf wrote:I only wish the people picking Groves would go down the bookies!

Here's my bet. If JD wins, I wont comment on old timers for a month (or criticise them censored ).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri May 20, 2011 7:52 pm

azania wrote:
Scottrf wrote:I only wish the people picking Groves would go down the bookies!

Here's my bet. If JD wins, I wont comment on old timers for a month (or criticise them censored ).

I was rooting for Groves until you wrote this. I will now be praying for a DeGale victory.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri May 20, 2011 7:57 pm

As it happens, Scott, I have done so. I am a betting man, although rarely on boxing, where value is usually hard to find. However, with betfair offering better than 3-1 for Groves to win at all, and a general 9-1 on offer for a points victory, I think that I have found some. A modest interest, mind. I've no quibble with DeGale being favourite, but Groves is not a 3-1 shot and 9-1 for a points win really does make some appeal. Sentiment doesn't come into it here, although I don't deny feeling that a setback to DeGale might be just what the doctor ordered insofar as modifying his character is concerned.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri May 20, 2011 8:03 pm

9-1 certainly is a cracking price, think I may have a flutter. I really think that if Groves can keep a tight defence whilst outworking Degale we may just see the points win. I, for one, will be hoping so!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri May 20, 2011 8:06 pm

Captain - There are certainly still questions to be answered and it probably has swung too far in DeGale's favour. I'd agree he might not be a 3/1 outsider but that's a long way from me thinking he'd win. He's too vulnerable in my opinion and with the speed edge and not insignificant power I don't think Groves will be walking through him. As for a points win, I'm unconvinced Groves can outwork him through 12, he only really started to against Anderson when Kenny started to tire early.

Azania - Good lad. Think of a suitable punishment for me and I'll match your bet.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri May 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Scottrf wrote:Captain - There are certainly still questions to be answered and it probably has swung too far in DeGale's favour. I'd agree he might not be a 3/1 outsider but that's a long way from me thinking he'd win. He's too vulnerable in my opinion and with the speed edge and not insignificant power I don't think Groves will be walking through him. As for a points win, I'm unconvinced Groves can outwork him through 12, he only really started to against Anderson when Kenny started to tire early.

Azania - Good lad. Think of a suitable punishment for me and I'll match your bet.

Anderson tired because of the energy sapping body punches Groves landed. Groves is more varied in terms of style and all round ability imo. The Smith fight made JD look good but styles make fights. GG will win because he is better.

Dont worry, I'll think of a suitable punishment/bet WHEN GG wins.

Agreed with rowley. JD is too stupid to be funny. Just cringe worthy and daft. He cant even remember his script.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri May 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Yeah, it was embarassing watching his clown of a trainer mcdonnell having to whisper things to say to JD when he was on the mic. Muppets the pair of them.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Fri May 20, 2011 8:32 pm

I really want Groves to win, even though I think DeGale has more chance of being a world champ and has the better skillset.

However, I dreamt that DeGale won by 10th round KO, so I have to go with my subconscious on this one.

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Fri May 20, 2011 8:38 pm

DeGale by TKO before Rd 6.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri May 20, 2011 10:46 pm

According to SSN DeGale was 176.5lbs on tuesday. Weigh in could be interesting today...
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri May 20, 2011 11:26 pm

Have got Degale UD as part of a double with Pascal UD....

But nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see Groves knock Degale the buck out!!!!

C'mon Groves, spank him sideways!!

What time is the weigh-in? And i'm going to go on the hunt for a live stream.... if anyone has one lemme know yeah?!

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 20, 2011 11:34 pm

Degale was able to unload at will against Paul Smith and still couldn't put him down. What is there to suggest he can hit Groves hard enough to put him down and keep him down? Groves had a bad night against Anderson and I'd be mightily surprised if he fought the same way on Saturday.

DeGale will try and unload a few flashy combinations and get the ref to step in like he did against Carl Dilks. In that final combo, there was nothing of any real significance landed and yet the ref still jumped in. yes, Dilks was out of his depth but he wasn't badly hurt and whilst covering up, was still protecting himself.

My prediction is that the referee ****s this one up mightily by being too scared to let them get on with it and DeGale will win, then go on to proclaim himself the greatest of all-time to the biggest chorus of boos a winner has ever rec'd since Audley won on the Khan/Prescott undercard.

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Fri May 20, 2011 11:46 pm

Smith is a tough lad who's never been stopped before, Degale still had his eyes rolling round the back of his head with some shots. I also think it will be volume rather than a massive one bomb that stops the fight, but that doesnt mean it shouldnt be stopped, an it starting to sound like sour grapes besfore the fights even started Dave!

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 20, 2011 11:55 pm

Smith is a tough lad who's never been stopped before
Day V, who'd he faced of any real note? Warren sacrificed Smith in order to get DeGale that strap and try shift a few more tickets for future "title" fights.

I'm only going on previous experience in fights that have been stopped prematurely. Not getting into the argument about whether it's right or wrong, I'm simply saying, DeGale's had a couple of fights that, in the minds of some, HAVE been stopped a tad too early. Now, despite the fact this ISN'T for a major bauble, there's a lot at stake for both fighters and I think whoever the referee is, they should give both guys a reasonable chance. As I say, all being equal, DeGale should get the win but if he really has to get it, I'd rather it was all fair and square rather than leaving a sour taste in the mouth.

Personally, I'm rooting for Groves as I really do not like DeGale even though I do appreciate he does have some talent.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat May 21, 2011 12:14 am

Degale is bookies favourite but pitting Groves for the upset, I think he'll have taken this fight more seriously, he'll know how much work he'll have to do to improve on the anderson performance. And sparring with Dirrell should have prepared him for anything that Degale could throw at him.

There is no way that Degale got the same quality of sparring as Groves, but then there is always the chance that Groves just got bet up sparring.

Tough call - Groves.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Sat May 21, 2011 12:37 am

Degale ko in the 4th.....easy nights work, as much as I'd like Groves to shut him up.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat May 21, 2011 12:50 am

What era counts as 'old timers' Az?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat May 21, 2011 12:54 am

Scottrf wrote:What era counts as 'old timers' Az?

Pre 1999 Very Happy

Nah, pre Dempsey I'd say.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat May 21, 2011 12:56 am

Anything prior to last Thursday.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat May 21, 2011 1:07 am

BALTIMORA wrote:

Anything prior to last Thursday.

Ha. As far as that? Ooops, that's yesterday Shocked

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat May 21, 2011 1:15 am

Someone wrote:
Groves: 11st 13lbs 7oz
DeGale: 11st 13lbs 6oz

Apparently Clev and his opponent made weight.

Anyone have SSN on?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sat May 21, 2011 1:36 am

Scottrf wrote:Someone wrote:

Anyone have SSN on?

Ditto..... Where's our resident deluded poster as he's probably watching it and can give a detailed and concise explanation of exactly how drained either fighter was, who's heart rate was higher (nerves), what they're thinking (mind reader as well you see) and whose body is most perfect machine like.... all from just looking at them.....

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat May 21, 2011 1:40 am

coxy0001 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Someone wrote:

Anyone have SSN on?

Ditto..... Where's our resident deluded poster as he's probably watching it and can give a detailed and concise explanation of exactly how drained either fighter was, who's heart rate was higher (nerves), what they're thinking (mind reader as well you see) and whose body is most perfect machine like.... all from just looking at them.....

And when he does post you go into one. I swear you cant live without his presence. randy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next