The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DeGale V Groves - Official Prediction Thread

+48
KC
oxring
aja424
Billy Shears
bellchees
Ozzy3213
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Fernando
Jukebox Timebomb
scfc1992
Midnight Sting
Mr Bounce
sodhat
Colan (niner)
OasisBFC
88Chris05
John Bloody Wayne
marcellus wallace
J.Benson II
slash912
sugarrayb
Lord of Colchester
Small Time
jimdig
coxy0001
Eyetoldyouso
wow_junky
HumanWindmill
Rowley
captain carrantuohil
shenglong1983
joeyjojo618
Imperial Ghosty
Lumbering_Jack
Day V Lately
Boxtthis
Scottrf
Marky
BALTIMORA
azania
sonic_boom10
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Liam_Main
Young_Towzer
licence_007
AdZacO
Fists of Fury
Sugar Boy Sweetie
52 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

DeGale V Groves - Official Prediction Thread - Page 3 Empty DeGale V Groves - Official Prediction Thread

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 19 May 2011, 10:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

48 hours til fight time, it's been discussed enough on here but nows the time to make your official prediction - who, when and why?

Has to be DeGale for me, have been a fan of his boxing since he turned pro - seems to have a multitude of attributes, slick southpaw skills, good defence, speed, accurate punching. Groves can box too, but not as well as JD, although he's a better puncher and has guts. There are some variables that make me think it wont be all degale. Firstly, the more I see him the more I question whether he has the physicality to go to war at 168 - he looks slight in comparison to the likes of froch and dirrell etc. - even to groves. Also JD isnt a huge puncher, if GG feels he can walk him down he may be able to take degale to the trenches - unchartered territory for him.

Reckon with so much pride on the line it'll start cagey, not get going til maybe the 3rd, when GG will start trying to put the presure on. If DeGale decides to fight fire with fire it could be anyone's game, but I dont see this being a war. I see DeGale being a bit too evasive, a bit to quick and accurate with his hands and groves being a bit too wide open.

Am gonna go with DeGale via unanimous decision.

PS Hope I'm wrong, have gone off DeGale in the build up and wouldnt mind seeing Groves take him down a peg or two.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

DeGale V Groves - Official Prediction Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: DeGale V Groves - Official Prediction Thread

Post by Midnight Sting Sat 21 May 2011, 10:10 pm

You said it Juke. Not impressed at all.

Midnight Sting

Back to top Go down

DeGale V Groves - Official Prediction Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: DeGale V Groves - Official Prediction Thread

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Sat 21 May 2011, 10:15 pm

I pray for all of us that have forked out £15 ( Wink ) that DeGale/Groves is decent.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 21 May 2011, 10:16 pm

What a bell end Degale comes across as.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat 21 May 2011, 10:21 pm

Hhhhmmm, can't quite make up my mind if that was a truly confident Groves we just saw there, or a mask of confidence.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 21 May 2011, 10:22 pm

anyone got a link to this ?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Sat 21 May 2011, 10:26 pm

Christ, it's like WWF. A ringside fight between Chizza and Fury and then Murray and Mitchell, with microphones, smack talking to eachother in the ring.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Sat 21 May 2011, 10:28 pm

Here's a link

http://www.justin.tv/yadabagtx#/w/1233203184/5

Not great quality though.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 21 May 2011, 10:33 pm

It's good quality on boxing guru.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 21 May 2011, 10:34 pm

thanks guys Smile

should be a excellent fight.

can see degale's arrogance costing him if he isn't careful.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 21 May 2011, 10:36 pm

fernando wrote:thanks guys Smile

should be a excellent fight.

can see degale's arrogance costing him if he isn't careful.

I frigging hope so.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 21 May 2011, 10:42 pm

I normally watch the fights on my ps3, but boxing gurus videos don't seem to work anymore on it. Found a half decent one on myp2p
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 21 May 2011, 10:43 pm

Come in groves!!!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 21 May 2011, 10:44 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:I normally watch the fights on my ps3, but boxing gurus videos don't seem to work anymore on it. Found a half decent one on myp2p

Yeah I got it crystal clear on there, the occasional freeze.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 21 May 2011, 10:44 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Come in groves!!!!!

You want to do what..?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Sat 21 May 2011, 10:46 pm

I thought for a min before posting if I could get in trouble for posting up a link to a stream. No joke 2 mins later there's a bang on my front door. Open the door and it's the cops. Shocked

It took me back for a min. Was only because next door got broken into though.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Sat 21 May 2011, 10:55 pm

What's Jim Watt on about, clear Groves round.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 21 May 2011, 11:07 pm

Absolute masterclass by George so far, but I still fear he's gonna get caught
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 21 May 2011, 11:12 pm

Even stevens so far.

DeGale to win by knockout late on!
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 21 May 2011, 11:13 pm

ive got it 3-2 to groves with a round shared atm

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 21 May 2011, 11:15 pm

This is were groves loses his head.

He was doing great there,
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 21 May 2011, 11:15 pm

That's DeGale's round, I have him one round up now.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 21 May 2011, 11:24 pm

DeGale coming strong now, I have him 5 rounds to 3 up with one shared!
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 May 2011, 11:25 pm

Join us on the chat box Pete, there is a couple of people watching it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Sat 21 May 2011, 11:28 pm

Wonder if this fight will be decided by who has the better cut man.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 21 May 2011, 11:28 pm

This is a great fight
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Sat 21 May 2011, 11:40 pm

Did not see that fight playing out like that at all

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Sat 21 May 2011, 11:41 pm

Never have I been so glad to be proven wrong Smile

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 21 May 2011, 11:41 pm

Happy fiokin days!!!!!!

Made a complete tw@t outta Degale from the interviews right through to the fight.

No arguememts here, Groves was the
Better boxer.

Fantastic gameplan
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Midnight Sting Sat 21 May 2011, 11:43 pm

What an amazing fight.

Oh, and I called it spot on. Smile

Midnight Sting

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 21 May 2011, 11:46 pm

Fair play. Blagged great seats, had Groves 116-112.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat 21 May 2011, 11:47 pm

I had it 115-114 in degales favour but happy to see groves win. Thought groves was looking to steal it rather than win it but degale was too reluctant to pull the trigger even though he appeared to be (surprisingly) the bigger puncher. Good fight, didn't agree with the judges but it was too close to call it a robbery.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 21 May 2011, 11:47 pm

Anyone else think Booth came across pretty well in the post fight interview?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Shears Sat 21 May 2011, 11:52 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Anyone else think Booth came across pretty well in the post fight interview?

Not so much, mate.

Billy Shears

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sat 21 May 2011, 11:54 pm

i was nearly in tears at the result, bloody briliant. so proud of groves.
get in there!

lets give booth his dues! the man knows how to make a game plan

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 21 May 2011, 11:55 pm

I had it 117-115 for Groves. Thought it was a good fight for George and that James thought he could win by posing for the first couple of rounds. That is where the fight was lost. Even Ol' Fish Eyes agreed! laughing

I think the right person won. DeGale, whilst a big talent, is way too cocky and needed a wake-up call. This should do it! boxing

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Sat 21 May 2011, 11:55 pm

How obvious is it when jim watt calls every close round degales, that he is just singing the tune that sky want him to play. Sky seem to think degale is their next ppv star and watt is there trying to convince us viewers that degale is winning so that we dont question the judges if they favour him a decision.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 21 May 2011, 11:55 pm

I'm not one to gloat but considering i've had far too much to drink can't wait til those who predicted an easy KO for Degale within 4 rounds show up on here, he is after all the better boxer hahahahaha

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sat 21 May 2011, 11:56 pm

I thought DeGale might have nicked that. DeGale looked really timid in throwing punch combinations in the early rounds, which cost him points.

In the latter rounds - I felt DeGale did much more. Given DeGale threw away rounds 2, 3 and 4 - shows how stupidly he fought. And overall - I reckon DeGale landed the harder shots.

Incredibly close though - but a poor performance from deGale.

In many ways - his chat lost him the fight. He played the villain all the way through the build up and was almost universally disliked on his way to the ring. Could be a good lesson for him. He should stop talking - he's no good at it.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Sat 21 May 2011, 11:58 pm

He should also stop telling everyone that his long spoon face is that of a potential model WTF

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sat 21 May 2011, 11:59 pm

i agree with the points that degale threw the fight away, but perhaps he was so reluctant to throw punches was he had tasted groves power.
he'll never admit it so we'll never know.

funnily enough, i think if they meet again i'd favour degale. when he went for it he seemed too slick for groves.

what a night, brilliant for british boxing. shame about the clev situation but we have a british world champ and degale got knocked down a peg or two. brilliant.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 22 May 2011, 12:00 am

I thought he had Groves wobbled a couple times, but one of those was from a head clash.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 22 May 2011, 12:01 am

Great fight! I had Groves ahead by a point with afew rounds even.

Did you notice at the end when he said "your winner and still undefeated..." Degale thought he'd won for a second there!

Join me in a gloating laugh?

*hopes nobody noticed I picked Groves by KO in 1*

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 22 May 2011, 12:03 am

Billy Shears wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:Anyone else think Booth came across pretty well in the post fight interview?

Not so much, mate.

Really? He didn't come across too big-headed, he always admits when mistakes were made, and he gave Degale his dues. He was more gracious in victory than fish eyes was in defeat.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 May 2011, 12:03 am

In the 12th with about a minute to go, Groves lands two nice jabs then pulls DeGale onto a lovely short upppercut. Did Wattt oor Darke mention it...did they balls.

Very biased commentary from those two and it's just one more things that's pleased me about tonight's result

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Sun 22 May 2011, 12:03 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:I'm still rather assuming that Groves isn't chinny and that in any case, DeGale doesn't hit hard enough to expose any flaw that may be there. Therefore, Groves to outwork DeGale, who still looks too amateurishly pleased with his handiwork at various points of his fights.

Groves by close, and possibly unpopular, decision.

Thank you captain, I put a fiver on Groves at 10/1 based on your assessment king

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 May 2011, 12:05 am

Not being one to gloat Whistle I did pick Groves via close UD. I had it 116-114 Groves. The reason is simple. He is the more intelligent boxer, the better boxer and can change tactics and be disciplined and stick to a winning plan even though its against his instinct.

If they rematched, I'l pick Groves via KO next time. DeGale is scared of him and he knows it. All the trash talking, all the idiotic inanely childish name calling was to get under Groves skin. He didn't. The better, more intelligent man won and he will win again.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 22 May 2011, 12:06 am

I had it 115-114 Groves, but was totally expecting DeGale to get the nod. Delighted that it wasn't the case and, while I normally wouldn't speak ill of the loser, maybe it'll teach him to keep that gob of his a little less wide open in the future.

DeGale will be back, he's too talented not to be, but this is Groves' night. Just hope we don't get too many 'Chunky was robbed!' types trying to take the shine off it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 22 May 2011, 12:08 am

88Chris05 wrote:I had it 115-114 Groves, but was totally expecting DeGale to get the nod. Delighted that it wasn't the case and, while I normally wouldn't speak ill of the loser, maybe it'll teach him to keep that gob of his a little less wide open in the future.

DeGale will be back, he's too talented not to be, but this is Groves' night. Just hope we don't get too many 'Chunky was robbed!' types trying to take the shine off it.

You may not want to wander over to the 'end is nigh' thread then. ONETWO is throwing teddy out the cot.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Sun 22 May 2011, 12:09 am

I thought it was pretty boring really - neither seemed that keen to commit. I'll put my hands up & admit I thought JDG would win, I still think he would if he threw some punches for gawds sake!
I had it 116-113 for Groves - agree with previous comment regarding Watt cheerleading for JDG, 5 & 6th round nothing happened & yet he still managed to score both for De Gale because he walked forward a little bit more than GG.
Hopefully James will be a bit more humble now?!

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 22 May 2011, 12:10 am

So confident that Groves would win, I made my own bet with the forum. Here it is:

Here's my bet. If JD wins, I wont comment on old timers for a month (or criticise them censored ).

Sorry windy, Ghosty et al. You will have to put up with my thorough knowledge of old timers for a while longer. If Haye beats Wlad, my bet will stand. 8)

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next