The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New European Cup Thread (Merged)

+67
The Saint
GavinDragon
asoreleftshoulder
Engine#4
Hound of Harrow
doctornickolas
The Great Aukster
lostinwales
Jimpy
profitius
Metal Tiger
stub
Ozzy3213
ME-109
RF09
No 7&1/2
stevetynant
quinsforever
thebandwagonsociety
Cardiff Dave
Eustace H Plimsoll
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
kiakahaaotearoa
gregortree
No9
slane
Rugby Fan
XR
rodders
Geordie
GunsGerms
englandglory4ever
munkian
Pot Hale
nathan
Welshmushroom
Scrumpy
Poorfour
Feckless Rogue
wolfball
broadlandboy
whocares
andyi
Portnoy's Complaint
SecretFly
Notch
Irish Londoner
geoff998rugby
Dubbelyew L Overate
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
monwy
Exiledinborders
malky1963
Jenifer McLadyboy
Brendan
beshocked
LordDowlais
KiaRose
Sin é
Heaf
HammerofThunor
BigTrevsbigmac
RDW
LeinsterFan4life
wayne
LondonTiger
71 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

The New European Cup Thread (Merged) - Page 2 Empty The New European Cup Thread (Merged)

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Mon 17 Mar 2014, 3:59 am

First topic message reminder :

Can anyone provide an update on what is going to actually happen from next season?

A factual update would be welcome. As brief as possible.

Opinionated views not so.

Last edited by Portnoy's Complaint on Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

The New European Cup Thread (Merged) - Page 2 Empty Re: The New European Cup Thread (Merged)

Post by LordDowlais Tue 18 Mar 2014, 11:26 am

Heaf wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
beshocked wrote:Lorddowlais I think that's good news. You'll know what it feels like to have to fight to be in the top european club competition. Plus it will eradicate the contempt that some of us have for the lack of qualification in the Pro12. Of course we'll probably replace these complaints with soft pool complaints but that's the way things are. Very Happy At least you'll be able to say you earnt your place in the HC fair and square. 

It really isn't that much difference to how the four Welsh regions qualify now though, as long as you are above the other Welsh regions you will qualify, except there is now only two spaces instead of three, if you are the third placed Welsh region, you just have to make sure that you finsh above the rest, so as it stands the Blues would need to finsh above the Dragons, as per the last few years, and Connacht, Edinbrugh, Treviso and Zebre, if all four regions were propping up the rabo the we would still get two regions in the HC the bottom two would then go into what ever other competitions the powers to be invent.

I thought only the top team from the 4 unions in the Pro12 will qualify irrespective of league position and then the remaining places are based on league position?

Nope, top two, as I said earlier, who ever went in negotiating for the four regions has played a blinder, he has got them an extra million quid per season out of it as well, also the regions are having a bigger say in any tele sponsership.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

The New European Cup Thread (Merged) - Page 2 Empty Re: The New European Cup Thread (Merged)

Post by Sin é Tue 18 Mar 2014, 12:09 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Nope, top two, as I said earlier, who ever went in negotiating for the four regions has played a blinder, he has got them an extra million quid per season out of it as well, also the regions are having a bigger say in any tele sponsership.

How are the Regions having a bigger say in any tele/sponsorship?

Edit: after thought. Must be Lewis who was negotiating on behalf of the Regions.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Tue 18 Mar 2014, 12:12 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Heaf wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
beshocked wrote:Lorddowlais I think that's good news. You'll know what it feels like to have to fight to be in the top european club competition. Plus it will eradicate the contempt that some of us have for the lack of qualification in the Pro12. Of course we'll probably replace these complaints with soft pool complaints but that's the way things are. Very Happy At least you'll be able to say you earnt your place in the HC fair and square. 

It really isn't that much difference to how the four Welsh regions qualify now though, as long as you are above the other Welsh regions you will qualify, except there is now only two spaces instead of three, if you are the third placed Welsh region, you just have to make sure that you finsh above the rest, so as it stands the Blues would need to finsh above the Dragons, as per the last few years, and Connacht, Edinbrugh, Treviso and Zebre, if all four regions were propping up the rabo the we would still get two regions in the HC the bottom two would then go into what ever other competitions the powers to be invent.

I thought only the top team from the 4 unions in the Pro12 will qualify irrespective of league position and then the remaining places are based on league position?

Ah OK - I guess this bit from the Guardian article is wrong then ...

"Under the new accord, 19 teams will automatically qualify for the European Cup on merit: the top six in the English and French leagues and seven from the Pro 12 made up of the top teams from all four countries involved in it and three others based on finishing positions in the table."

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 18 Mar 2014, 12:14 pm

Heaf wrote:

Ah OK - I guess this bit from the Guardian article is wrong then ...

"Under the new accord, 19 teams will automatically qualify for the European Cup on merit: the top six in the English and French leagues and seven from the Pro 12 made up of the top teams from all four countries involved in it and three others based on finishing positions in the table."

I don't believe it is. Thats been the line for quite some time. Whats the source on this other qualifying format?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue 18 Mar 2014, 12:57 pm

If you went down the top 2 irish and welsh and top 1 scot and italy that leaves one place. With the form of Ulster that leave none.

If that is true the route for connacht has just got alot harder then before

Has to surely be just the top team from each union

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 18 Mar 2014, 1:08 pm

Brendan wrote:If you went down the top 2 irish and welsh and top 1 scot and italy that leaves one place.  With the form of Ulster that leave none.

No it means that Connacht will not qualify, no matter where they are in the league as Ulster will finish top of the rest. The only way Connacht would qualify is if they finished as one of the top two provinces or finished as the third placed province but above the third placed region from Wales or above the second place region from Italy or Scotland, there will be only one 3rd place spot for all the unions to fight over. OK 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 18 Mar 2014, 2:27 pm

I don't believe that for a second.

If the league finished like below (Mathematically possible but unlikely) all 4 Irish teams would be in and only one from the other 3 nations.

Leinster Rugby
Munster Rugby
Ulster Rugby
Ospreys
Glasgow Warriors
Connacht Rugby
Scarlets
Newport Gwent Dragons
Edinburgh Rugby
Cardiff Blues
Benetton Treviso
Zebre

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by malky1963 Tue 18 Mar 2014, 2:31 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Brendan wrote:If you went down the top 2 irish and welsh and top 1 scot and italy that leaves one place.  With the form of Ulster that leave none.

No it means that Connacht will not qualify, no matter where they are in the league as Ulster will finish top of the rest. The only way Connacht would qualify is if they finished as one of the top two provinces or finished as the third placed province but above the third placed region from Wales or above the second place region from Italy or Scotland, there will be only one 3rd place spot for all the unions to fight over. OK 

There is no way you have got that right - that would mean that in (the admittedly very unlikely) event of the 4 Welsh teams finishing in the bottom 4 places then 2 of them would still qualify. That would be totally unacceptable.
Almost as unacceptable, looking at the current year, would be Edinburgh finishing 6th and losing out to the Scarlets for an HEC place - this is perfectly plausible as Edinburgh have 2 games in hand and would go above the Scarlets with 2 wins, including one bonus point win (other things being equal).

malky1963

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 18 Mar 2014, 3:24 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26625894

Do BBC not believe in checking articles before publishing? picard 

Who would qualify in 2014-15
If the new European deal is ratified, the qualifiers, based on current league positions, would be:

England: Northampton Saints, Bath, Leicester, Harlequins, Sale.

France: Toulon, Clermont Auvergne, Montpellier, Stade Francais, Toulouse, Castres.

Ireland: Leinster, Munster, Ulster.

Wales: Ospreys, Scarlets.

Scotland: Glasgow.

Italy: Treviso.

Play-off: Wasps v Racing Metro.

Doh 

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 18 Mar 2014, 3:30 pm

From the BBC:

France: 7 (Castres, Toulon, Toulouse, Clermont-Auvergne, Racing Metro, Montpellier, Perpignan)
England: 6 (Northampton, Exeter, Saracens, Harlequins, Leicester, Gloucester)
Ireland: 4 (Leinster, Connacht, Ulster, Munster)
Wales: 3 (Ospreys, Cardiff Blues, Scarlets)
Scotland: 2 (Glasgow, Edinburgh)
Italy: 2 (Zebre, Treviso)

Think I prefer the BBC version

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 18 Mar 2014, 3:34 pm

Aslongasbut100ofus BBC actually got that bit right. That's the 2013-14 HC teams.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 18 Mar 2014, 3:40 pm

I think someone is misinformed, it is only 1 guaranteed place for each of the 4 Pro12 countries and 3 based on league positions.

The English would not agree with 2 from both Wales and Ireland because that would mean only one place would be up for grabs from league positions.

If Scarlets finish below Edinburgh this year there will be only 1 Welsh team in the senior competition

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 18 Mar 2014, 3:49 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:I don't believe that for a second.

If the league finished like below (Mathematically possible but unlikely) all 4 Irish teams would be in and only one from the other 3 nations.

Leinster Rugby
Munster Rugby
Ulster Rugby
Ospreys
Glasgow Warriors
Connacht Rugby
Scarlets
Newport Gwent Dragons
Edinburgh Rugby
Cardiff Blues
Benetton Treviso
Zebre

No if the league finished like that, then Leinster, Munster, and Ulster would qualify, Ospreys and Scarlets, Glasgow, and Treviso. Ulster would be the team that took the remaining spot because they are the highest out of the rest. That is seven teams qualifying from the Rabo.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 18 Mar 2014, 3:56 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:I think someone is misinformed, it is only 1 guaranteed place for each of the 4 Pro12 countries and 3 based on league positions.

The English would not agree with 2 from both Wales and Ireland because that would mean only one place would be up for grabs from league positions.

If Scarlets finish below Edinburgh this year there will be only 1 Welsh team in the senior competition

I think you are using the original proposal as if it has been rubber stamped, the original proposal is what the Pro Twelve were against, look I could be well wide of the mark, but I am only going on what I have been told by somebody within the hierarchy within one of our regions.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:00 pm

As I said. I don't believe you. You are the only person saying this anywhere that I have seen.

You are either A/ Winding us up. B/ Have picked it up wrong off your mate. C/ Your mate is winding YOU up. D/ Someone is winding him up/he has picked it up wrong etc.

For the sake of Welsh Rugby hopefully you will never have to find out....... i.e there will always be 2 Regions in the top 7.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:00 pm

malky1963 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

There is no way you have got that right - that would mean that in (the admittedly very unlikely) event of the 4 Welsh teams finishing in the bottom 4 places then 2 of them would still qualify. That would be totally unacceptable.
Almost as unacceptable, looking at the current year, would be Edinburgh finishing 6th and losing out to the Scarlets for an HEC place - this is perfectly plausible as Edinburgh have 2 games in hand and would go above the Scarlets with 2 wins, including one bonus point win (other things being equal).

Edinburgh can finish where they like, but if they do not finish above Glasgow then they will not be garaunteed a place in the HC, if Glasgow finish above them, then Edinburgh need to finish in the highest place of all the other teams that have not qualified to get into the HC.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:05 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:As I said. I don't believe you. You are the only person saying this anywhere that I have seen.

You are either A/ Winding us up. B/ Have picked it up wrong off your mate. C/ Your mate is winding YOU up. D/ Someone is winding him up/he has picked it up wrong etc.

For the sake of Welsh Rugby hopefully you will never have to find out....... i.e there will always be 2 Regions in the top 7.

I posted an article on here at the start of the 6N pointing out that a deal is imminent, and that information was correct, I have no reason to believe that this other information I have is wrong, it could be, but I have no reason to doubt it, I can assure you that nobody is winding anybody up, but I cannot see any reason to think that it is wrong. Anyway, with at least one team from each country gauranteed a place in next years HC if the four Welsh regions finished bottom of the league, the top region out of the four would be in the HC regardless of who is above them, so why is my information so unbelievable ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:19 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:As I said. I don't believe you. You are the only person saying this anywhere that I have seen.

I posted an article on here at the start of the 6N pointing out that a deal is imminent, and that information was correct, I have no reason to believe that this other information I have is wrong, it could be, but I have no reason to doubt it, I can assure you that nobody is winding anybody up, but I cannot see any reason to think that it is wrong. Anyway, with at least one team from each country gauranteed a place in next years HC if the four Welsh regions finished bottom of the league, the top region out of the four would be in the HC regardless of who is above them, so why is my information so unbelievable ?

Because it makes a joke of the whole "having to qualify on merit from a league" If there is only one place actually up for grabs.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:28 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Because it makes a joke of the whole "having to qualify on merit from a league" If there is only one place actually up for grabs.

Yes, but I confirms that the Rabo will have three less teams in the HC. So now the rabo will only have seven teams in the HC and not ten, which was the basis of the whole argument in the first place.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:28 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
geoff998rugby wrote:I think someone is misinformed, it is only 1 guaranteed place for each of the 4 Pro12 countries and 3 based on league positions.

I think you are using the original proposal as if it has been rubber stamped, the original proposal is what the Pro Twelve were against, look I could be well wide of the mark, but I am only going on what I have been told by somebody within the hierarchy within one of our regions.

I believe your source is mis informed - at least that is what my source says  Very Happy 

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:38 pm

I don't care anymore, we will find out soon enough how it will work out.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 18 Mar 2014, 4:40 pm

Laugh Only a European cup rugby thread could descend into a 'my source is bigger than yours' one! Brilliant

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 18 Mar 2014, 5:48 pm

My source says it could happen on lots of types of threads  raspberry 
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 18 Mar 2014, 7:57 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I don't care anymore, we will find out soon enough how it will work out.

Quite. I only asked because I didn't know.

Seemingly I'm no different to anyone else.

Two bloody years all but!

But I thought Treviso were gonners...
No?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:34 pm

Either Treviso or an new regional team from that area will be in the pro 12. I don't think they're definitely out yet.

If Dowlais's 'source' is correct it would be pretty amazing. If 6 teams are out qualified and Sky get full TV coverage for their contract (actually it was a 3 or 4 year deal, not 2 so they're wrong there).

The mainstream media reported suggestions feel much more plausible. So one from each nation and 3 others, split TV coverage.

Also, the mainstream media were saying that a deal was on the verge so I wouldn't try claiming kudos for posting that if I was you.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 19 Mar 2014, 8:54 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Either Treviso or an new regional team from that area will be in the pro 12. I don't think they're definitely out yet.

If Dowlais's 'source' is correct it would be pretty amazing. If 6 teams are out qualified and Sky get full TV coverage for their contract (actually it was a 3 or 4 year deal, not 2 so they're wrong there).

The mainstream media reported suggestions feel much more plausible. So one from each nation and 3 others, split TV coverage.

Also, the mainstream media were saying that a deal was on the verge so I wouldn't try claiming kudos for posting that if I was you.

I qouted this about six weeks ago. Whistle 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 19 Mar 2014, 9:02 am

Maybe the assembled big wigs have been secretly assembling in breweries for their regular knees-ups.
I wouldn't be a surprise judging by their organisational skills.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:41 am

There is piece in today's Telegraph claiming much more money will be available from TV and sponsorship.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/10709976/European-club-rugby-to-hit-the-jackpot-with-new-Champions-League-style-tournament.html

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:44 am

LordDowlais wrote:
I qouted this about six weeks ago. Whistle 

But the MSM were talking about a compromise that had been reached before the start of the Six Nations, I think the rugby paper first of all.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:20 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I qouted this about six weeks ago. Whistle 

Do  you read WalesOnline by any chance.  It was common knowledge that a deal had pretty much been made a long time ago. And that deal is basically the same one as before christmas.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/european-rugby-stands-verge-peace-6700413

Serious, if you want to be the big I am, I know a guy who know's a guy, come out with something original...which you have. That Wales will be given two auto places at the top tier of Europe. No one else has said that.  If it comes about then I'll be really impressed with your insider knowledge. If not then you have zero credibility.

Didn't you also claim that the Welsh AI were protected on FTA as well? Never seen anything back that up either.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:23 pm

Notch, I had it on good athuority that a deal was as good as done before the 6N and I posted it on here somewhere, and the only thing holding it up now is the direct translation into Italian, also, I cannot be bothered to go back through this thread, but for those of you who asked, Treviso will be in the Celtic league next year along with Zebre, what is happening is that they do not have to pay the extortionate entry fee's that they have been paying any more.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:26 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:I qouted this about six weeks ago. Whistle 

Do  you read WalesOnline by any chance.  It was common knowledge that a deal had pretty much been made a long time ago. And that deal is basically the same one as before christmas.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/european-rugby-stands-verge-peace-6700413

Serious, if you want to be the big I am, I know a guy who know's a guy, come out with something original...which you have. That Wales will be given two auto places at the top tier of Europe. No one else has said that.  If it comes about then I'll be really impressed with your insider knowledge. If not then you have zero credibility.

Didn't you also claim that the Welsh AI were protected on FTA as well? Never seen anything back that up either.

No I just said that it was the 6N and the world cup. I also stated which is correct that S4C have the right to show all Welsh rugby, that is why S4C have a highlights package on the same day as the HC is played, a bit like MOTD does with football on the weekends.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:33 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Rugby is protected here in Wales, even if SKY did get it, S4C would still be able to air the internationals, this was passed in the senydd a few years back

https://www.606v2.com/t46544-wru-chooses-viewing-figures-over-cash

This is referring to the AI.

And ITV have a highlights package for the English HEC games, broadcast on Sundays after and including the Sunday games.

A simple reference to anything that says this was passed (something that says the Welsh Assemby has the powers to protect events would be nice).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:47 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Notch, I had it on good athuority that a deal was as good as done before the 6N and I posted it on here somewhere, and the only thing holding it up now is the direct translation into Italian, also, I cannot be bothered to go back through this thread, but for those of you who asked, Treviso will be in the Celtic league next year along with Zebre, what is happening is that they do not have to pay the extortionate entry fee's that they have been paying any more.

I think that the Italians are still paying to be included in the Celtic league, LD, just less than previously OK

I think the name of the competitions is also still under discussion - Eng/Fra in favour of some version of 'Champions Cup', Celto-Italian unions against. Plus main sponsors still undetermined

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:50 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Notch, I had it on good athuority that a deal was as good as done before the 6N and I posted it on here somewhere, and the only thing holding it up now is the direct translation into Italian, also, I cannot be bothered to go back through this thread, but for those of you who asked, Treviso will be in the Celtic league next year along with Zebre, what is happening is that they do not have to pay the extortionate entry fee's that they have been paying any more.

Was the good authority you had it on that all of that information was published in very high-profile news outlets before the Six Nations?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:59 pm

Notch wrote:

Was the good authority you had it on that all of that information was published in very high-profile news outlets before the Six Nations?

Notch, I'm not sure if I would call any of them 'good' authority' Wink

As, they were called 'equal partners' in the press releases. What that means I don't know. I did see that Treviso are staying rather than a new region, somewhere. Not sure where.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by monwy Thu 20 Mar 2014, 1:57 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:There is piece in today's Telegraph claiming much more money will be available from TV and sponsorship.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/10709976/European-club-rugby-to-hit-the-jackpot-with-new-Champions-League-style-tournament.html

Notable comments from the industry figures in that article.

“This new European rugby championship is going to become the most lucrative in world club rugby,” said Rupert Pratt, managing director of the sport and entertainment agency Generate.

“I would expect the sponsorship income would increase by two thirds or even double within two or three years. I would also anticipate the broadcast revenue to go up by at least 50 per cent and that is probably a conservative figure.”

The likely decision for the new tournament to follow a model similar to European football’s Champions League, with four to six commercial partners replacing a sole title sponsor, is expected to be the main driver for such rapid growth.

It is also likely to make the broadcasting rights more attractive. Heineken, the present title sponsor, is expected to be one of the commercial partners.

“I would expect sponsorship to increase by 25 per cent next year and if BT Sport and Sky Sports do a new broadcast deal, it could be in a very good place, very quickly,” Steve Martin, chief executive of sports agency M&C Saatchi Sport & Entertainment, said.

“It is a really smart play to follow the Champions League model, as that way you get those brands doing the marketing for the tournament and not just one brand but four to six.

“In the current structure, the second tier sponsors were promoting Heineken, but what you can do now is promote your own brand and promote the tournament.

"The trick now is to have the right brands, with the right flair and creativity. As well as the traditional rugby brands, you want to have a bit of a maverick brand in there that has a bit of energy and innovation.

“When you get a brand marketing the tournament for you it is dynamite. That is the holy grail from the marketing point of view. If you are sitting there as a rights-holder of the new tournament, your dream is to have four really successful blue-chip brands all working for you, as opposed to one. Rugby is hot at the minute, it will be an attractive proposition for brands to go in and support it.”

The introduction of a new third-tier tournament aimed at developing the game across the continent, which will give teams from other European countries such as Portugal, Georgia, Spain and Romania the opportunity to play-off for a place in the second-tier tournament, is also expected to lead to long-term commercial growth.

“The new tournaments also pave the way for expansion of the sport into other European countries which again will increase the commercial appeal,” Pratt said.

“Rugby plays well to the stronger regions in Europe and also plays strongly to the business to business audience. It is not so big that it puts people off but it is focused enough around the commercial heartlands of Europe.”

monwy

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 20 Mar 2014, 2:44 pm

I sort of understood that.

But the babel-worm in my ear struggled with the marketisch-speesch.

When you get a brand marketing the tournament for you it is dynamite. That is the holy grail from the marketing point of view. If you are sitting there as a rights-holder of the new tournament, your dream is to have four really successful blue-chip brands all working for you, as opposed to one. Rugby is hot at the minute, it will be an attractive proposition for brands to go in and support it.”

The introduction of a new third-tier tournament aimed at developing the game across the continent, which will give teams from other European countries such as Portugal, Georgia, Spain and Romania the opportunity to play-off for a place in the second-tier tournament, is also expected to lead to long-term commercial growth.

The new tournaments also pave the way for expansion of the sport into other European countries which again will increase the commercial appeal

Have you ever sat in front of a telly watching slop-jawed at a party-political broadcast wondering if they actually said anything?

Drivel.

p.s. Anyone see the first episode of W1A on the Beeb last night?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu 20 Mar 2014, 4:27 pm

Portnoy, saw W1A, first impression that it's not as good as 2012 but could get there - loved all the BBC execs on the Brompton folding bikes!

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 20 Mar 2014, 8:07 pm

Surely by allowing 4 Irish regions the Welsh are effectively guaranteed two spots in the HEC anyway?
Or if things get to the point where Connacht and 2 Scotalian teams can get in the top 7 ahead of them then the Welsh might as well give up anyway.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Fri 21 Mar 2014, 9:16 am

The top 6 could end - 3 Irish, 2 Scottish, 1 Welsh - which means they plus an Italian side would qualify (it is more likely to be 3 Irish, 2 Welsh, 1 Scottish)

Going forward it is theoretically possible the league would finish
1,2,3,4 - Ireland
5,6 - Italian
7, 8 - Scottish in which case a Welsh side will qualify under the 1 per nation rule and Ireland would have 4 sides. Equally Ireland could have only 1 side in the premier tournament.

Bottom line is 6th place is not a guaranteed qualfication place which gives a level of competitiveness the English has been asking for

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Mar 2014, 9:27 am

The Brand Identity Lingo Trophy is finally up and running it seems.

BILT for short

All Hail BILT!  

Everything in 'moderation' though.... givez us a chance in the next few years youz big English and French moneybucksmonoliths! Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 21 Mar 2014, 9:35 am

Exeter won the LV= cup last weekend.
By all accounts that qualifies them for Europe.

Currently they are eighth in the Jeff.

Wtf?  censored 

Already the the meritocratic calls from the English are being undermined from within.

English hypocrisy at its worst.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 21 Mar 2014, 9:46 am

Current table would have 3 Irish, 2 Welsh, 1 Scot, 1 Italian
Infact the same split wouldve come form every end table since 08/98 when there wouldve been 3 Welsh and 2 Irish
07/08 2 Irish 2 Scots 2 Welsh 1 Italian

Theres never been a time that there wouldnt have been at least 2 Welsh clubs and 2 irish qualifying had this system been in place.

It will promote competitiveness through the season and add meaning to games. Theres far too many which are dead rubbers as things stand, the playoffs were resisted by some but have been a boost.
This could be too, and comes with additional income for all.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 21 Mar 2014, 9:48 am

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:Exeter won the LV= cup last weekend.

Wtf?  censored 

Already the the meritocratic calls from the English are being undermined from within.

It did under the old format, Portnoys, but don't believe that it will anymore OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Mar 2014, 9:56 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Current table would have 3 Irish, 2 Welsh, 1 Scot, 1 Italian
Infact the same split wouldve come form every end table since 08/98 when there wouldve been 3 Welsh and 2 Irish
07/08 2 Irish 2 Scots 2 Welsh 1 Italian

Theres never been a time that there wouldnt have been at least 2 Welsh clubs and 2 irish qualifying had this system been in place.

It will promote competitiveness through the season and add meaning to games. Theres far too many which are dead rubbers as things stand, the playoffs were resisted by some but have been a boost.
This could be too, and comes with additional income for all.

In brief, we hope it will knacker the Irish a little bit more so that they won't be so rabbit like fresh when they hit the HEC trail.

It ain't gonna work you know Wink

I can see the rules needing changing again to outright ban us from all European competition in a few years time  Cool

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 21 Mar 2014, 10:00 am

Laugh Probably, Fly, they'll get you in the end!! Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 21 Mar 2014, 10:32 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

Wtf?  censored 

It did under the old format, Portnoys, but don't believe that it will anymore OK

So is that another unannounced PRL/RFU announcement As?

I thought that part of the sponsorship LV= deal was that their winners (should they be English) would be European qualifiers. Tigers were last year.

Did any one tell Liverpool Victoria I wonder?

Knowing the shambles that is PRL/RFU, probably not.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 21 Mar 2014, 11:40 am

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

Wtf?  censored 

So is that another unannounced PRL/RFU announcement As?

I thought that part of the sponsorship LV= deal was that their winners (should they be English) would be European qualifiers. Tigers were last year.

Did any one tell Liverpool Victoria I wonder?

Knowing the shambles that is PRL/RFU, probably not.

It was mentioned by Exe's CEO after the win last Sunday OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Fri 21 Mar 2014, 12:32 pm

Currently they are eighth in the Jeff.Wtf?  censored 

Season isn't over yet - after this weekend, Exe will be 5 points better off and closing in on 6th place.  Whistle

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next