The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+25
lorus59
BlueCoverman
puligny
Plunky
Diggers
mystiroakey
super_realist
MontysMerkin
navyblueshorts
Roller_Coaster
pedro
McLaren
incontinentia
westisbest
Davie
beninho
kwinigolfer
GunsGerms
Bob_the_Job
1GrumpyGolfer
raycastleunited
SmithersJones
golfermartin
JAS
barragan
29 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 9 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rugby players are too fat to catch us Davie.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Tue 08 Apr 2014, 12:41 pm

The forces of nature are far greater the the cumulative effect of human existence. Were the cavemen concerned about their carbon footprint as ice ages came & went? Gross over-simplification of course but it illustrates the fact that a huge amount of natural climate change does go on and has gone on for millions of years.

Are we having an effect?...Yes I expect we are. Can we significantly change/reduce the effect we're having by taking our plastic bags back to the supermarket to use again??, paying a £1 carbon offset charge when we board a flight?? Using recycling bins??...Complete and utter tosh.

Before the media hype was about climate change and global warming it was about the hole in the ozone layer...where's that gone? Is it still there? Yes...it's just that the media have found something they think is more alarmist to bang on about and distract us.

Last edited by JAS on Tue 08 Apr 2014, 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue 08 Apr 2014, 12:42 pm

Mac, it's broadly irrelevant how it happens or why.
It's how we deal with it that matters. Even if there was no human influence, we'd still have climate change to deal with in some form. So it's pointless fighting over the causes.

Also, you cannot say Gravity is "only" a theory, a theory in scientific terms is the ultimate goal of a hypothesis if they could think. It is the pinnacle.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 08 Apr 2014, 12:51 pm

McLaren wrote:...I like the quote

"Gravity is only a theory so why not try throwing yourself from the 10th floor"
Ummm. Nope. A daft straw man argument. Gravity is testable in a way that the human impact on global warming probably isn't. If you want to take that approach, pretty much everything is only a "theory".
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 08 Apr 2014, 1:32 pm

The masters is coming .

YEAH!!!

golf season starts.. 

RIP Peaches. Allways liked her tbh-  funny , quirky girl. Genetic mental issues tbh. Sad to lose her.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 08 Apr 2014, 1:36 pm

mystiroakey wrote:The masters is coming .

YEAH!!!

golf season starts.. 

RIP Peaches. Allways liked her tbh-  funny , quirky girl. Genetic mental issues tbh. Sad to lose her.

I'm surprised that anyone is in a position in which they'd waste time learning anything about her.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 08 Apr 2014, 1:48 pm

YEAH!!!

golf season starts.. 

Says whom? Not surprised this happened but to assume it's all genetic is bunkum. Her mum had a screw loose, Hutchins was such a hedonist he did himself in and nothing I've heard about Peaches (what a ridiculous name to Christen a child) suggests she had anything like a normal adolescence. Always bored stupid to see her mentioned in any Press but not sure I wanted her removed from it in this fashion.

On the subject of The Masters though, I'm with you on the "YEAH!!!" there.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 08 Apr 2014, 1:55 pm

says me- its a guess.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 08 Apr 2014, 2:16 pm

OK climate change may be real. But the big question is: what do we do about it? And unfortunately people like Mac and millions other turn it into an ideological crusade against capitalism or industrialism, trying to create a back-door revolution where the solutions are given in advance (i.e. wind mills, taxation etc.).

You can not prevent the ever growing population in the developing countries from also wanting a flat screen tv, mobile phone, car etc., so learn to accept some of the effects of climate change, rather than desperately subsidising wind energy and taxing businesses and house holds here in Europe.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 08 Apr 2014, 2:19 pm

climate change off course is real- we are at the end of an ice age. The world goes in cycles

Its what we are doing to the planet that may be speeding it up or may not be speeding it up!

Either way- Its better to become a more environmental friendly world than not. That is just obvious..

I have never understood the argument against it. Yes its better to get more out of resources- that's frieking obvious- whether that changes the weather- who cares!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 08 Apr 2014, 3:01 pm

mystiroakey wrote:climate change off course is real- we are at the end of an ice age. The world goes in cycles

Its what we are doing to the planet that may be speeding it up or may not be speeding it up!

Either way- Its better to become a more environmental friendly world than not. That is just obvious..

I have never understood the argument against it. Yes its better to get more out of resources- that's frieking obvious- whether that changes the weather- who cares!
clap With you 100% there. I don't understand really why we wouldn't want to naturally minimise the crap we dump...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 08 Apr 2014, 3:28 pm

I'm not driving an Prius for anyone.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 08 Apr 2014, 5:55 pm

You dont sound the type to drive a super car or 4X4 either mate. so..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 08 Apr 2014, 11:21 pm

Here's the thing; it is scientific consensus that the extent of recent climate change is due to human action increasing the level of CO2. But let's assume it's not, let's pretend all you deniers aren't completely wrong. Let's pretend it's a 50/50 thing. Why would you come down on the side of doing nothing?

The hole in the ozone layer is no longer being widened because we stopped using CFCs. That's why you don't hear about it.

You can help by driving less and walking more, recycling, driving hybrids etc. If you think it's not worth it because your contribution is insignificant, or if you think it'll happen anyway even if we weren't making it worse, then consider this - your household water supply contains a level of bacteria and contaminants. Given that that's the case, you won't mind if I come round your house and p1ss in your water tank, will you?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Apr 2014, 7:06 am

Smithers, The consensus is that human influence CONTRIBUTES, no scientist would be stupid enough to claim it was the sole reason. Climate is not a constant, and you could never pin it on one action.

The ozone layer is still a massive problem if you happen to live at very southerly latitudes. Try going to Australia/NZ on holiday to see this.
We should make more efficient use of the resources we have, but I'm more concerned with dealing with the effects rather than try to reverse it. It's a bit like trying to reverse the climatic effects of a volcano.

Driving hybrids is not a serious solution. They are not especially efficient (my so-called big gas guzzler got me 47.5 mpg on a 70 mile run at the weekend) and require an incredible amount of widely sourced and hazardous resources to create them. Building a hybrid car is incredibly environmentally unfriendly.
People make massive amounts of journeys by car they don't need to as well as this contributing to the obesity epidemic.

We should be looking at building better houses, using less concrete etc, as this sort of thing affects everyone, and is incredibly damaging , much more than vehicles, but vehicles are easier and more socially acceptable to tax.
What would be better is to A) drive less, B) drive more efficiently.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 09 Apr 2014, 8:04 am

Super

Good to see that you do not deny what is evident from the scientific literature. But surely you understand the difference between uncertainty and something not being true at all.

For anyone who cannot grasp with what degree of confidence each outcome of climate change can be predicted I suggest you look up the 4 reports by the intergovernmental panal on cliamte change (IPCC).

Or better still read the chapter in Seeing Further (A book about the royal society edited by Bill Bryson) by Stephen Schneider, who was head of the IPCC. He talks about the uncertainties in climate change modelling, but makes it clear these uncertainties are about the fine details for example a 2 degree or 5 degree raise in sea temperature.

Super, as for housing and new buildings, I agree a lot more needs to be done. For example why does every new build not dig an extra hole at the foundation stage for a ground source heat pump?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Apr 2014, 8:11 am

Ground source heat pumps are not geologically possible for all properties or areas of the UK Mac.

I've never denied the human contribution to Climate Change, what I always have been against is the media ignorance which seems to assert that we as a species are entirely responsible for every change that might have taken place since the industrial revolution. I'm also very cynical about the ease at which governments are able to tax on the basis of so called environmental issues whilst completely ignoring other factors which also contribute. E.g they tax cars heavily, but not buildings? Seems a bit hypocritical and demonises car drivers unfairly.
There is also the media confusion and inability to understand the difference between global warming and climate change.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 09 Apr 2014, 8:42 am

navyblueshorts wrote:

YEAH!!!

golf season starts.. 

Says whom? Not surprised this happened but to assume it's all genetic is bunkum. Her mum had a screw loose, Hutchins was such a hedonist he did himself in and nothing I've heard about Peaches (what a ridiculous name to Christen a child) suggests she had anything like a normal adolescence. Always bored stupid to see her mentioned in any Press but not sure I wanted her removed from it in this fashion.

On the subject of The Masters though, I'm with you on the "YEAH!!!" there.
Lets get this right shall we...
Hutchins was such a hedonist he did himself in w@nking.
There.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Apr 2014, 8:49 am

What's Hutchence got to do with it anyway? Sir Bob was her father.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 09 Apr 2014, 8:51 am

Same thing happened to the guy from to "buy or not to buy".
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 09 Apr 2014, 8:59 am

He must have got careless. Everyone knows you must keep a slice of lemon in your mouth during the act, then bite down on it when finished to help revive yourself.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 09 Apr 2014, 9:06 am

Davie wrote:What's Hutchence got to do with it anyway? Sir Bob was her father.
A bloke dying while tickling the blue veined flute has everything to do with it. Have you no compassion man?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 09 Apr 2014, 9:10 am

MontysMerkin wrote:Lets get this right shall we...
There.
Well, w@nking and self-strangulation. Bit silly really.

Errr. Maybe she might have spent time with her wacko mother and w@nking Mike?? Maybe her childhood was somewhat influenced?

incontinentia wrote:He must have got careless. Everyone knows you must keep a slice of lemon in your mouth during the act, then bite down on it when finished to help revive yourself.
Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 09 Apr 2014, 9:18 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:Lets get this right shall we...
There.
Well, w@nking and self-strangulation. Bit silly really.

Errr. Maybe she might have spent time with her wacko mother and w@nking Mike?? Maybe her childhood was somewhat influenced?

incontinentia wrote:He must have got careless. Everyone knows you must keep a slice of lemon in your mouth during the act, then bite down on it when finished to help revive yourself.
Laugh
Well I'm certainly hoping it wasn't the w@nking wot did it.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 09 Apr 2014, 9:27 am

Has there been suggestions that Peaches died in a w@nking accident?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 09 Apr 2014, 9:34 am

I had a peaches w@nking accident as a youth, but i did have a curious and inquiring mind.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Apr 2014, 10:10 am

navyblueshorts wrote:

Keep up Navy .. the comments before that referred to "genetic mental influences" - they were even in bold and you commented on it yourself!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 09 Apr 2014, 10:24 am

Do you get mental illnesses that are not genetic?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Apr 2014, 10:54 am

Yes plenty

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 09 Apr 2014, 11:26 am

yes plenty. 

you can get it from a traumatic experience, drug overuse.. stuff like that.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 09 Apr 2014, 12:28 pm

Golf fan puts €1k on Mcilroy because he sees his face on a danish pastry:

Danish:

“It’s got to be a sign – Rory’s face on a piece of food from his girlfriend’s home country. My mates have had a giggle and think I’m mad, but if I pocket £11,000, I’ll be the one laughing.”

-Rob Price, a college lecturer living in Andover, England

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 09 Apr 2014, 12:35 pm

I cant see his face on that thing..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Apr 2014, 12:37 pm

Ha ha, looks more like John Merrick (the elephant man, not the golfer)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 09 Apr 2014, 12:38 pm

That pastry's way better looking..

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 09 Apr 2014, 12:39 pm

Well you call him pube head.

Next time you pull an ulster lass and the lady hasn't shaved- have a look if it resembles him..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 09 Apr 2014, 1:00 pm

Davie wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Keep up Navy .. the comments before that referred to "genetic mental influences" - they were even in bold and you commented on it yourself!
Your comments weren't explicit and the subtleties of language tend to get lost via a forum like this. Would have helped if you'd quoted some text prior to your comment don't you think? What I really need around here is a :yawn: emoticon....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 09 Apr 2014, 1:07 pm

McLaren wrote:Do you get mental illnesses that are not genetic?
Of course. Personally, I think a lot of the current behavioural 'illnesses' are nurture, not nature. The brain's synaptic plasticity is pretty amazing - mess around with it via behaviour, environment during development or chemically and you'll see neurological changes as adaptations to those challenges. Some of those changes we now like to call an 'illness'.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 09 Apr 2014, 1:24 pm

Everyone's a nutter to some degree or other. It's all relative.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Apr 2014, 2:34 pm

Navy - using quotes isn't always easy when on a smart phone - however my post was immediately after a post of Monty's that quoted YOU saying the same thing about genetics

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 09 Apr 2014, 3:00 pm

Hutchence dumped Helena Christensen (SP) for Paula Yates, seems crazy still.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Apr 2014, 3:02 pm

beninho wrote:Hutchence dumped Helena Christensen (SP) for Paula Yates, seems crazy still.

and he was crazy enough to think he was making good music with his rubbish band too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 09 Apr 2014, 3:21 pm

beninho wrote:Hutchence dumped Helena Christensen (SP) for Paula Yates, seems crazy still.

Yates had a very high dirt factor rating.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 09 Apr 2014, 3:28 pm

And the fact he was obviously pretty dirty aswell, it was a match made in heaven. But also seems a match that would never actually work.

And to be fair, some Inxs songs are pretty good.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 09 Apr 2014, 3:29 pm

super_realist wrote:

and he was crazy enough to think he was making good music with his rubbish band too.

Eh? They have some great songs. Suicide blonde for example.

Very unfortunate song title too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 09 Apr 2014, 3:33 pm

Inxs songs wernt the best- but for an aussie wow- pretty expectational !!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Apr 2014, 3:38 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Eh? They have some great songs. Suicide blonde for example.

Very unfortunate song title too.

Dad rock.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 09 Apr 2014, 3:51 pm

Sounds like Dad rock (hated them personally) but girls loved it, mainly because they all fancied MH which I could personally never figure out why but that was probably born out of jealousy.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 09 Apr 2014, 3:59 pm

He was a good looking fella that Hutchence guy, even the most hetero guy has to admit that.

I was not really listening to their music in the late 80s/early 90s, but it stands up well now. I did not really get into music until i was about 13/14. Buying Nevermind and Automatic for the people, and both again stand up very well.

Thinking of other Aussie bands though, only getting Crowded house. Who i also like.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 09 Apr 2014, 3:59 pm

What's dad rock?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Apr 2014, 4:06 pm

GunsGerms wrote:What's dad rock?

The sort of thing that embarassing dads thing is decent. I.e Having a Shakin Steven CD in the car, or the male equivalent of Westlife for women.
Just dreadful dreadful drivel.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Apr 2014, 4:47 pm

A bit harsh Super .. INXS were a bit better than your average "dad rock" band. Even harsher is comparing them to Shakin Stevens.

They always were a decent, hard working road band with some good songs and albums, despite Hutchense being a bit of a d!ck.

Call them softer rock or AOR if you will .. and if you don't like that particular genre then fine .. but to label them "dad rock" is just a bit of a put down

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next