The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+25
lorus59
BlueCoverman
puligny
Plunky
Diggers
mystiroakey
super_realist
MontysMerkin
navyblueshorts
Roller_Coaster
pedro
McLaren
incontinentia
westisbest
Davie
beninho
kwinigolfer
GunsGerms
Bob_the_Job
1GrumpyGolfer
raycastleunited
SmithersJones
golfermartin
JAS
barragan
29 posters

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rugby players are too fat to catch us Davie.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue 22 Apr 2014, 9:05 pm

pedro wrote:s_r you keep on cheering for the scandi golfers. First golfers you saw?

No, I pick some of them in bets because they have proven to be steady each way bets and one may win a major soon. I'm not a supporter, and even if I was, I do at least have some connections to the region having been there numerous times (and again on Saturday), work for a scandi company and speak 1 of the languages reasonably well.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 22 Apr 2014, 10:33 pm

ben,
Elgin and Nairn is gael country - she seems to have disappeared for a while but send her an email if she's still registered.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Apr 2014, 1:43 am

Super

I actually have no idea why I support Man Utd. All I know is that I have done so since around the age of 5 and that my family were not into football. So I presume I saw them on the sports news and decided I liked them. I guess kids get into all sorts like dinosaurs and action men, so why not a football team. You could say I should stop supporting them now I can rationalize about decisions but it seems I have been left with a lasting interest in how Man Utd perform.

Anyone played this.

http://gabrielecirulli.github.io/2048/

it is seriously addictive.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 23 Apr 2014, 8:44 am

Who cares who supports what team in fairness.

Does'nt bother me that some irish fans support Man utd/Liverpool.

Can support whoever they choose.
Know a fair few who travel over to watch them, Villa also.
Fairplay.

To me that is better than fans who are local, but wont go and watch their team because they are doing bad, or they don't like the manager, etc.

You support a team through good times and bad.

As in the 'we' 'us', fans are referring to their team.

As a Villa fan, when talking about them, I'm not gonna say yeah Villa need the win saturday, I will say we, cos its the team I follow.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:10 am

Are any of you chaps going to watch the GAA games which are being shown on sky sports this year?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:13 am

is that a bunch of Ginger Cyclops' running around Croke Park with sticks?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:17 am

ha ha yes that's hurling super, a bit like your shinty. The football's not bad either, less of the poncery of soccer and more skilful than rugby.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:18 am

incontinentia wrote:Are any of you chaps going to watch the GAA games which are being shown on sky sports this year?

Some of the lads will, so may join them.

Why do you ask?

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:19 am

Shinty differs from Hurling in that the goalkeeper in Shinty is dressed in an Iron Maiden Tshirt and gardening clubs and has no front teeth.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:20 am

It annoys me though as an Irish person that we as a nation invest so much money in clubs that have zero interest in giving back to this country. It makes no sense to me at all. Liverpool FC for example or any premiership team provide a massive financial boost to their local ecomonies and also give back to the local communities in many ways. What have they ever done for the masses of Irish fans? Nothing bar a novelty friendly in Dublin every few years.

Celtic fans are the worst as they actually believe they are supporting an Irish team. Its embarassing. I have even heard many Celtic fans blabber on about their republican loyalties as justification for supporting Celtic not realising how hypocritical they are being. I support Rangers out of protest.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:22 am

incontinentia wrote:Are any of you chaps going to watch the GAA games which are being shown on sky sports this year?

Sorry misread that as 'are' you, not any of you.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:23 am

Guns, Scottish Celtic Fans are even worse, they actually claim to be Irish.
They have been known to boo minutes silence for Rememberance Sunday.

Both sets of Glasgow fans are pretty disgusting at times. Partick fans in Glasgow are far more reasonable, educated and decent.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:34 am

super_realist wrote:Guns, Scottish Celtic Fans are even worse, they actually claim to be Irish.
They have been known to boo minutes silence for Rememberance Sunday.

Both sets of Glasgow fans are pretty disgusting at times. Partick fans in Glasgow are far more reasonable, educated and decent.

Its all very strange in my opinion.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:37 am

Super

Have you ever been to an SPL game?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:38 am

Indeed, football, like all sports is completely meaningless ultimately. It is literally only a game. The degree of seriousness which people attach to it is borderline madness.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:39 am

McLaren wrote:Super

Have you ever been to an SPL game?

Yes Mac, I've been to loads. The standard is appalling.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:44 am

What team did you tend to watch super?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:48 am

Its a pointless league really when Celtic win every year. It would make a lot of sense for NI, ROI & Scotland to consolidate their leagues like the Rabo in rugby. Local teams could merge too.

How I would love it if Celtic and Rangers merged.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:48 am

My local team growing up and the first club I watched from the terraces was Dundee United, so as a youngster I used to follow them.
I've grown out of sentimental attachments now though. Last match I went to was Aberdeen-Partick in 2013. Good for a laugh if not for the quality of the football and most of it was spent laughing at how serious people were taking it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:53 am

Proper fans take football seriously, good to have that passion.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 9:58 am

I prefer to have passion in things that I can actually influence, e.g. actually taking part. Seems a bit daft to invest emotion and energy into something that you aren't even involved in other than watching from a distance, even worse to let it affect your life.

If people get over a result in 10 minutes, no problem, but in Scotland there is a significant increase in domestic violence in the aftermath of Old Firm matches, and that is frankly pathetic.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 23 Apr 2014, 10:20 am

I love being a sportsfan.

The ups and downs of being a fan.

Ireland winning the 6N, the joy of hearing the final whistle. The celebration.
The good night to follow with your mates.

Having a beer with a fellow country man you have never met, enjoying the moment.

Just an example, of a good time being a sportsfan.
The Lions win last summer.

Your club side winning a cup/league. Just a great feeling.

Then the downside of losing that cup final, being relegated.
Bad times.

Your team winning is a great feeling, losing the opposite.

Therre is always another day.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 10:22 am

Enjoy the good times West, but when there's a negative, i.e losing a cup final. It's important to remember it's not the end of the world and only a game. Not worth being depressed about.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 23 Apr 2014, 10:23 am

I'm almost hoping Chelsea win the Champions League now as it seems there is a good chance brave JT would miss another final.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 10:24 am

Diggers wrote:I'm almost hoping Chelsea win the Champions League now as it seems there is a good chance brave JT would miss another final.

Laugh Laugh Laugh

No doubt he'd still take credit for it.  

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 23 Apr 2014, 10:31 am

super_realist wrote:Enjoy the good times West, but when there's a negative, i.e losing a cup final. It's important to remember it's not the end of the world and only a game. Not worth being depressed about.

Will do.

Have seen enough negative's to not get worked up about it.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 10:33 am

Sorry, wasn't trying to be patronising or condescending.
Sport is great, and it's great when you do well, but when you or your team lose, it doesn't really matter does it?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 23 Apr 2014, 10:38 am

I suppose that would depend on the individual.

Having supported Villa and Ireland over the years, have had more downs than ups. So am used to it.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 23 Apr 2014, 10:41 am

How long is Cech going to wear that ridiculous scrum cap for? surely his skull has knitted back together by now?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 23 Apr 2014, 10:49 am

I saw a phone-in show to Paddy Crerand on Man U TV and there was this 82 year old woman who claimed to follow United since she was 4 years old. She claimed that the team was so bad this season she was losing sleep and her family was concerned about her health. Now that is taking it seriously.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 23 Apr 2014, 11:11 am

lorus59 wrote:I saw a phone-in show to Paddy Crerand on Man U TV and there was this 82 year old woman who claimed to follow United since she was 4 years old. She claimed that the team was so bad this season she was losing sleep and her family was concerned about her health. Now that is taking it seriously.
Sure it wasn't fergie?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 23 Apr 2014, 11:52 am

Fergie won't be losing sleep. He chose a patsy to take over to make him seem even better. Moyes fell into the trap. Although I wouldn't mind the severance payment.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 11:56 am

Why do clubs not write something into a contract so that if certain standards/targets aren't met they can sack without such ridiculous pay offs?

I remember when Gordon Strachan left Middlesbro he turned down the payment because he felt he didn't do a good enough job.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:05 pm

Moyes is only getting a small fraction of the payoff he would have gotten had he been sacked while qualifying man utd for the champions league.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:06 pm

Moyes contract did set stipulations for success, that's why he is only receiving just less than a years severance. Still good money though
You have to remember in this case Moyes was already one of the biggest earning managers at Everton, he was obviously going to want a contract with a degree of security to it.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:06 pm

super_realist wrote:Why do clubs not write something into a contract so that if certain standards/targets aren't met they can sack without such ridiculous pay offs?

I remember when Gordon Strachan left Middlesbro he turned down the payment because he felt he didn't do a good enough job.

They did. There was a clause that if Moyes didnt make the champions league they could terminate his contract after one year rather than to have to buy him out of the 6 year contract. Thats why they waited until it was mathematically impossible for ManU to make the champions league until they fired him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:21 pm

Fair enough. Football seems to be one of the few industries where you get paid regardless of your performance.
It's about time they introduced something similar for players too. Full salary regardless of whether they play or not.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:26 pm

super_realist wrote:Fair enough. Football seems to be one of the few industries where you get paid regardless of your performance.
It's about time they introduced something similar for players too. Full salary regardless of whether they play or not.

There should also be an extra tax on English players. It should be called it a "world class" tax. English players command a higher salary than others of the same ability because they are more likely to be considered world class by the press and fans when in reality they arent. You could also call it a Wayne Rooney tax if you like.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:30 pm

Good point Guns. Some of the transfer fees for English players are laughable.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:34 pm

Players salaries are very rarely a set amount each week, they will all have clauses written in, and usually image rights, whatever that is. Transfers are higher for english clubs because the English league is the richest in europe if not the world. So clubs do not usually have to sell unless the offer is a ridiculous amount. Big clubs in other leagues sign players from smaller teams because the smaller team have no money.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:36 pm

Rooney earns Man Utd a fortune in image rights and shirt sales.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:39 pm

beninho wrote:Players salaries are very rarely a set amount each week, they will all have clauses written in, and usually image rights, whatever that is.  Transfers are higher for english clubs because the English league is the richest in europe if not the world. So clubs do not usually have to sell unless the offer is a ridiculous amount. Big clubs in other leagues sign players from smaller teams because the smaller team have no money.

I think the point was not the prices the English clubs can pay, but the prices that English players (usually average players) command in comparison to better (foreign) players who are often cheaper.

Last edited by super_realist on Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:40 pm

super_realist wrote:Fair enough. Football seems to be one of the few industries where you get paid regardless of your performance.
Err I think you'll find it's one of many industries where you get paid regardless of your performance.
Football is an absolutely great advert for capitalism. It shows on a small scale what happens if you allow market forces to dictate. Eventually all the money flows to the 'top' and leaves those at the bottom in the sh1t.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:42 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:
Err I think you'll find it's one of many industries where you get paid regardless of your performance.
Football is an absolutely great advert for capitalism. It shows on a small scale what happens if you allow market forces to dictate. Eventually all the money flows to the 'top' and leaves those at the bottom in the sh1t.

That's exactly what I said. You get paid regardless of performance. So you could stink the pitch out every time you play, but you'd still get paid in the same manner as the player who plays great every week. Mental.

Not much has changed at OT in the last year. THe players should also be facing financial penalties for not performing.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:43 pm

Id guess every single professional team sport in the world is contract based, so football is hardly and different to say rugby, cricket, baseball, basketball etc etc.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:44 pm

No, but given the proportion of income that goes on salary it's a pretty stupid way to run a business.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:46 pm

super_realist wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:

That's exactly what I said. You get paid regardless of performance. So you could stink the pitch out every time you play, but you'd still get paid in the same manner as the player who plays great every week. Mental.

Not much has changed at OT in the last year. THe players should also be facing financial penalties for not performing.

They will face penalties. If they don't get picked they will get paid less, they lose bonuses if they don't reach targets. So basically a Man Utd player will earn less in season 2013-2014 than he did in 2012-2013 if they had remained on the same contract. Would have been big bonuses for a Premiership win and therefore champions league qualification.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:47 pm

super_realist wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:

There's loads of industries where incompetence is compensated; football is hardly unique in that respect. At least they turn out for the games which is at least a result for the fans who buy a ticket/shirt. Better than bankers who seem to guess up or down...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:47 pm

super_realist wrote:No, but given the proportion of income that goes on salary it's a pretty stupid way to run a business.

I don't think there is another practical way that would work.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:48 pm

When you are already on mega bucks with millions in the bank is not being picked and not picking up bonuses much of an incentive to perform?

I don't think the current structure is sustainable and English football could potentially implode at some point.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next