The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HEC Semi-Final Toulon v Munster, Stade Velodrome, Marseille

+46
profitius
Manu's Boxing Coach
doctor_grey
VinceWLB
BigGee
GLove39
wales606
George Carlin
stub
LondonTiger
Rugby Fan
cakeordeath
LeinsterFan4life
Sgt_Pooly
HammerofThunor
Pot Hale
beshocked
Feckless Rogue
Nachos Jones
dubh_linn
Hound of Harrow
Notch
brennomac
GoodinTightSpaces
whocares
Cyril
geoff998rugby
quinsforever
theslosty
Ozzy3213
Sin é
MunsterMac
yappysnap
Golden
Thomond
Mickado
ME-109
RDW
tecphobe
TJ
Scrumpy
GunsGerms
asoreleftshoulder
thebandwagonsociety
BlueMuff
KiaRose
50 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

HEC Semi-Final Toulon v Munster, Stade Velodrome, Marseille Empty HEC Semi-Final Toulon v Munster, Stade Velodrome, Marseille

Post by KiaRose Tue 22 Apr 2014, 12:32 pm

KO 16.30 (local time; 15.30 YTC) Sunday April 27th.  Yet another Day of Destiny for Munster Rugby.

So far the only participants we know for definite are
Referee:  Wayne Barnes

ARs:  JP Doyle; Luke Pearce

TMO: Graham Hughes.

All the officials are from England.

Friday 25th - edited with team announcements.

Toulon
Delon Armitage;
Drew Mitchell, Mathieu Bastareaud, Matt Giteau, Bryan Habana;
Jonny Wilkinson (c), Sebastien Tillous-Borde;
Xavier Chiocci, Craig Burden, Carl Hayman,
Danie Rossouw, Jocelino Suta,
Juan Smith, Juan Fernandez Lobbe, Steffon Armitage.
Remplaçants : Jean-Charles Orioli, Alexandre Menini, Martin Castrogiovanni, Virgile Bruni, David Smith, Maxime Mermoz, Michael Claassens, Konstantine Mikautadze.

Munster
Felix Jones;
Keith Earls, Casey Laulala, James Downey, Simon Zebo;
Ian Keatley, Conor Murray;
Dave Kilcoyne, Damien Varley Capt., BJ Botha;
Dave Foley, Paul O'Connell;
CJ Stander, Sean Dougall, James Coughlan.
Replacements: Duncan Casey, James Cronin, John Ryan, Donncha O'Callaghan, Tommy O'Donnell, Duncan Williams, JJ Hanrahan, Denis Hurley.

As my stomach is already churning when I think of Sunday, I thought I would start the ball rolling on the topic.

Munster Abú

Last edited by KiaRose on Fri 25 Apr 2014, 5:27 pm; edited 3 times in total

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

HEC Semi-Final Toulon v Munster, Stade Velodrome, Marseille Empty Re: HEC Semi-Final Toulon v Munster, Stade Velodrome, Marseille

Post by BlueMuff Tue 22 Apr 2014, 12:39 pm

Excitement is building early - some of the red hordes are already on the way to Marseilles!

Munster need to recall the game against clermont where nobody gave us a chance! Exact same situation this year only we have fully functioning scrum better line out and more confidence and belief!

Given how easily Toulon dispensed of Leinster you'd be worried for Munster but that's just the way we like it!

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

HEC Semi-Final Toulon v Munster, Stade Velodrome, Marseille Empty Re: HEC Semi-Final Toulon v Munster, Stade Velodrome, Marseille

Post by KiaRose Tue 22 Apr 2014, 12:48 pm

Saw a comment on The Score, BM, from a fan who said she would be watching from behind her hands - I understand the feeling.

The Score's "predictions" (really why anyone who is still in it can win it) are here
http://www.thescore.ie/why-munster-will-win-heineken-cup-1422269-Apr2014/

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 22 Apr 2014, 12:50 pm

Munster probably have a better pack to front up against Toulon than Leinster had in the previous round. Don't make silly handling errors. Have solid set pieces. This Toulon side always strikes me as a team that doesn't play to the sum of their parts. But what they do is pounce on any indecision or mistakes by opponents.

The game is in the slightly more neutral Marseilles. Munster will have good travelling support. Munster should produce a good forward display. It requires good kicking displays by Keatley and Murray. And crucially good kick chase as well.

The more I think about the game the more I think Munster could pull something out of the bag.

Then I read JW is expected to be fit and Habana is back after a niggling 4 month thigh strain. I start to doubt a little.

Feck it.... Munster by 4 points in a nail-bitter!

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Tue 22 Apr 2014, 12:59 pm

My Munster team if all fit

Killer
Varley
BJ
Poc
Dave foley
CJ
Tod
Coughlan
Murray
Keatley
VDH
Downey
Lualua
Earls
Zebo

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:07 pm

I hope Munster can win this,it would be a massive achievement,unfortunately I'm not confident as PoM is just too big of a loss imo.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:12 pm

I reckon POM isnt that big a loss because Munster could just push this Toulon team to the wire if they play a tactically sensible game.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:13 pm

Would love to see Toulon win this one as I want to see Wilko (once more) before he retires.
C'mon RCT  Very Happy 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:15 pm

They play such painfully boring rugby though? They would make a good AP team.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:16 pm

I dunno,while Stander had a great game the last day against Toulouse he hasn't shown the ability to do that consistently.He was very poor against Glasgow and I'd fear he could be a weak link as he is not used to playing games of this magnitude.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:19 pm

GunsGerms wrote:They play such painfully boring rugby though? They would make a good AP team.

I take it you haven't watched any Jeff games then, what a Fozzie Bear you are!  Wink 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:20 pm

Ap is much less boring the last year or two.

I just hope for a good entertaining game and hope whoever plays the most attacking rugby wins.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:23 pm

TJ wrote:
I just hope for a good entertaining game and hope whoever plays the most attacking rugby wins.

OK  Thats all any fan wishes for.

I just don't understand why Guns needed to have a dig at the AP?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:25 pm

GunsGerms wrote:I reckon POM isnt that big a loss because Munster could just push this Toulon team to the wire if they play a tactically sensible game.

Your probably the only person in Ireland who thinks Pom is not a big loss,

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:42 pm

If you have a defeatest attitude like that you may as well not show up. Heineken cups are always squad efforts. Stander will be chomping at the bit. Give him some credit?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:50 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
TJ wrote:

Toulon are a lot like an AP side. 10 man boring rugby. A team that buys titles like Saracens. There is a lot of symmetry between those two teams. For the good of European rugby I hope they both get hockeyed.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by tecphobe Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:54 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
TJ wrote:

It's a tradition in the same way cato the elder finished every speech with "Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam"

tecphobe

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:55 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
TJ wrote:

Toulon are a lot like an AP side. 10 man boring rugby. A team that buys titles like Saracens. There is a lot of symmetry between those two teams. For the good of European rugby I hope they both get hockeyed.

Sheer arrogance!

Pipe down Guns you're making Munster fans look bad.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:56 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:
TJ wrote:

Sheer arrogance!

Scrumpy guns is an out and out Leinster supporter who politely putting it hates Munster

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:57 pm

Is he, I never would have guessed!  Wink 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Tue 22 Apr 2014, 1:58 pm

Looks like johnny will definitely start on Sunday bakkies Botha and Ali Williams will most likely not play as neither has played for a couple of months so bench spots at best I reckon

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:02 pm

Scrumpy wrote:
Sheer arrogance!

Where is the arrogance? Its true no?

I'd be fairly confident that Toulon and Saracens are two of the least popular teams in Europe now. That will always the be case when teams have lots of mercenaries and buy titles. Furthermore, Edward Griffiths and Mourad Boudjellal seem to be cut from the same cloth and seem to have worringly similar visions for the game.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:03 pm

BlueMuff wrote:Looks like johnny will definitely start on Sunday

Great news  Very Happy 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:03 pm

BlueMuff wrote:
Scrumpy guns is an out and out Leinster supporter who politely putting it hates Munster

I  heart Munster  Very Happy 

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:04 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Where is the arrogance? Its true no?

No, it's not true.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:13 pm

Half 4 on a Sunday has got to be one of the worst times for a HK semi final ever.

Or is that local time?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:14 pm

Saracens have been playing some very nice entertaining rugby - I have enjoyed watching them this season. Toulon are a bit dull at times and love to see them beaten for the dull defensive rugby they play.

I think Munster can win this - they just seem to have that bit extra in "passion" that could see them thru

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 2:53 pm

GunsGerms wrote:I reckon POM isnt that big a loss because Munster could just push this Toulon team to the wire if they play a tactically sensible game.

Yawn...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:01 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Half 4 on a Sunday has got to be one of the worst times for a HK semi final ever.

Or is that local time?

It is local time, kickoff is 3:30 UTC

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:03 pm

ME-109 wrote:

Yawn...

Why dont you think Munster can win if they play smart?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:03 pm

BlueMuff wrote:My Munster team if all fit

Killer
Varley
BJ
Poc
Dave foley
CJ
Tod
Coughlan
Murray
Keatley
VDH
Downey
Lualua
Earls
Zebo

Would like to see that team as well but I think he will still pick Felix. Not sure what the injury update on Casey, Ryan, Cronin or JJ is. The presumption is that Casey will start all the other three are iffy.

CJ has a big game to play and hopefully we see more of the Toulouse form than the last two. Strauss handed him his ass on a plate for the Glasgow game and he drifted in and out of the Connacht game...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:10 pm

Potentially losing Laulala is far worse then losing POM. If Laulala's gone or not fully fit we're in trouble. We've a replacement for POM who is more than capable can't say the same for Laulala (and before someone says Earls yeah he is good but odds are Casey will get flattened by Basteraud so Earls probably would too).

Stander is a gifted player, who found it tough to get into the team under Penney. But the guy is very talented. I'm surprised CJ signed a new deal if I'm honest. Guys like Butler, Dougal (love him as a 7 would love to see him stay) and Dave O'Callaghan are going to find it tough next year with Copeland.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:15 pm

Thomond wrote:Potentially losing Laulala is far worse then losing POM. If Laulala's gone or not fully fit we're in trouble. We've a replacement for POM who is more than capable can't say the same for Laulala (and before someone says Earls yeah he is good but odds are Casey will get flattened by Basteraud so Earls probably would too).

Stander is a gifted player, who found it tough to get into the team under Penney. But the guy is very talented. I'm surprised CJ signed a new deal if I'm honest. Guys like Butler, Dougal (love him as a 7 would love to see him stay) and Dave O'Callaghan  are going to find it tough next year with Copeland.

100%. Munster dont lose a lot with Stander slotting in.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:20 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Thomond wrote:Potentially losing Laulala is far worse then losing POM. If Laulala's gone or not fully fit we're in trouble. We've a replacement for POM who is more than capable can't say the same for Laulala (and before someone says Earls yeah he is good but odds are Casey will get flattened by Basteraud so Earls probably would too).

Stander is a gifted player, who found it tough to get into the team under Penney. But the guy is very talented. I'm surprised CJ signed a new deal if I'm honest. Guys like Butler, Dougal (love him as a 7 would love to see him stay) and Dave O'Callaghan  are going to find it tough next year with Copeland.

100%. Munster dont lose a lot with Stander slotting in.

You didnt see the Glasgow game then Guns.... Doh 

Earls will be fine if required Thomond I am sure that they will have some sort of game plan for mr basteraud...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:20 pm

Agree thomond I also don't think earls is not a centre! Pom is a natural leader though and he brings a huge amount of intensity that seems to rub off on other players. He is also insane at the breakdown!

CJ has his strengths though and I'm confident he will throw in a big performance. In the absence of Pom it's up to the likes of killer Varley and of course Poc to lead from the front!

I'm sure Munster studied the Leinster match and there is a lot to learn from the way they approached that game! Munster on the other hand are fairly predictable so it's just a matter if Toulon can counter our maul scrum and line out! Sounds easy.....

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:24 pm

I would be more concerned with how Armitage is dealt with...TOD will need to be back to his best.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:24 pm

ME-109 wrote:

Earls will be fine if required Thomond I am sure that they will have some sort of game plan for mr basteraud...

Saw some of it. What are you saying it would all have been different if POM was playing? Munster havent been great in their last four league games except possibly v Leinster which they still lost. Dont think their form in the league is Stander's fault.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:26 pm

BlueMuff wrote:Agree thomond I also don't think earls is not a centre! Pom is a natural leader though and he brings a huge amount of intensity that seems to rub off on other players. He is also insane at the breakdown!

CJ has his strengths though and I'm confident he will throw in a big performance. In the absence of Pom it's up to the likes of killer Varley and of course Poc to lead from the front!

I'm sure Munster studied the Leinster match and there is a lot to learn from the way they approached that game! Munster on the other hand are fairly predictable so it's just a matter if Toulon can counter our maul scrum and line out! Sounds easy.....

I agree with all of that. Really gutted about POM's injury. I presume he will be one of the water carriers for the game. After his injury, Penney said he would continue to be heavily involved with analysis etc. so he will be in Marseille leading from the sidelines.

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:29 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
ME-109 wrote:

Saw some of it. What are you saying it would all have been different if POM was playing? Munster havent been great in their last four league games except possibly v Leinster which they still lost. Dont think their form in the league is Stander's fault.

Aren't you forgetting the Treviso match surely worth another mention  Very Happy 

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:32 pm

BlueMuff wrote:
Aren't you forgetting the Treviso match surely worth another mention  Very Happy 

That was one of the last four games Muff.

Good win by Leinster on the weekend wasnt it? Leinster Rugby 62 - 7 Benetton Treviso

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:34 pm

Good to see Treviso taking the Rabo seriously!  Laugh 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:35 pm

BlueMuff wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
ME-109 wrote:

The difference is the leadership aspect which BM pointed out with regards to POM (and POC). They are both 24/25 (CJ and POM) but thats where the similarity ends. Even for the Toulouse game after POM played on with one arm for about 15 minutes our worst period was the 20 mins up to half time. I expect Stander to do well he wont be a weak link or anything, he just doesnt bring the same as POM...am sure even you could admit that (pigs might fly as well)

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:38 pm

All I said is POM isnt that big a loss with Stander there to deputise. Thats more or less what you have just said.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:39 pm

JJ and Cronin havent been ruled out yet and no word on Ryan so the possibility of having our strongest bench available would make a big difference......

TOD hasnt been the same since his involvement with Ireland and was ordinary enough against Toulouse (except for his defense)....

I wonder will he still pick Earls/Zebo/Jones.....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:41 pm

ME-109 wrote:
BlueMuff wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
ME-109 wrote:

The difference is the leadership aspect which BM pointed out with regards to POM (and POC). They are both 24/25 (CJ and POM) but thats where the similarity ends. Even for the Toulouse game after POM played on with one arm for about 15 minutes our worst period was the 20 mins up to half time. I expect Stander to do well he wont be a weak link or anything, he just doesnt bring the same as POM...am sure even you could admit that (pigs might fly as well)

Another thing you lose is the impact Stander brings off the bench,not sure who'll be your backrow sub but I don't know if there's anyone that can change a game if needed.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 22 Apr 2014, 3:46 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
BlueMuff wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
ME-109 wrote:

Another thing you lose is the impact Stander brings off the bench,not sure who'll be your backrow sub but I don't know if there's anyone that can change a game if needed.

By the look of things it will probably be Butler...he got MOTM last weekend (although it should have gone to Conway). He is similar but at the moment (in terms of form) an even poorer mans version...we are lucky that DOC is in great form so the issue of Ryan missing isnt that big and Foley has been excellent. Big thing really is having Cronin fit. A bench of Williams, Murphy/Vdh, JJ, Cronin, Ryan, Casey, DOC, Butler would be nice to have.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Wed 23 Apr 2014, 10:39 am

Squad update from Munster site

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/18378.php#.U1eIuFdkK40

The Munster squad held their training session in Musgrave Park today in preparation for Sunday's Heineken Cup semi-final against Toulon.
It was a busy morning with the first full squad training session of the week, and an equally busy afternoon with players and management up for the weekly media briefing.

Captain Peter O'Mahony was in attendance at today's practice keeping a close eye on his colleagues as they were put through their paces for the trip to Marseille.

It was positive news for the group with the return of Casey Laulala (hand) and James Cronin (sprained ankle) at training today.

Cronin returned to scrum sessions at the end of last week but made a full return to training today, while Casey Laulala has recovered from a fractured bone in his hand to make himself available for selection this weekend.

Rob Penney hailed JJ Hanrahan's rehab progress as "miraculous" as the young out-half continues to recover from groin injury. The Head Coach said "there is a slight possibility that he may be in contention later in the week. It'll be a big ask to get him anywhere near Sunday but it possibly could happen."

Donnacha Ryan took part in partial training today and he will continue to be assessed as the week continues. Talking about a possible return for the Tipperary man Penney added "It's very much dependent upon how he comes through the next few days, as to whether he'll be a possible option, but he's not out of the reckoning either."

Rob also spoke about the task ahead, with Munster facing the reigning Champions on Sunday in Marseille. "Toulon are a great side and deserve all the plaudits they receive. We will have to be at our very best and that may not be even good enough but we'll throw ourselves into it and give it a good crack.

"It's an exciting week and I just hope the lads enjoy it, and the experience. We've just got to get the whole team on the same page and committed on the same level in order to achieve a positive outcome this weekend."

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:00 pm

I am always impressed with the lengths to which Munster supporters will go to support their team. Saw this on Munster Rugby Supporters Club London Branch FB feed

Travelling cork to Dublin fri night, flying Dublin to gatwick sat morn, gatwick to nice and car hire and roadtrip from Nice to marseille sat eve

I guess she loves her rugby.

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 23 Apr 2014, 12:44 pm

Anything to save a few euros. Credit to her.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 23 Apr 2014, 1:46 pm

Who was the back up out half last week?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next