The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HEC Semi-Final Toulon v Munster, Stade Velodrome, Marseille

+46
profitius
Manu's Boxing Coach
doctor_grey
VinceWLB
BigGee
GLove39
wales606
George Carlin
stub
LondonTiger
Rugby Fan
cakeordeath
LeinsterFan4life
Sgt_Pooly
HammerofThunor
Pot Hale
beshocked
Feckless Rogue
Nachos Jones
dubh_linn
Hound of Harrow
Notch
brennomac
GoodinTightSpaces
whocares
Cyril
geoff998rugby
quinsforever
theslosty
Ozzy3213
Sin é
MunsterMac
yappysnap
Golden
Thomond
Mickado
ME-109
RDW
tecphobe
TJ
Scrumpy
GunsGerms
asoreleftshoulder
thebandwagonsociety
BlueMuff
KiaRose
50 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

HEC Semi-Final Toulon v Munster, Stade Velodrome, Marseille - Page 3 Empty HEC Semi-Final Toulon v Munster, Stade Velodrome, Marseille

Post by KiaRose Tue 22 Apr 2014 - 22:32

First topic message reminder :

KO 16.30 (local time; 15.30 YTC) Sunday April 27th.  Yet another Day of Destiny for Munster Rugby.

So far the only participants we know for definite are
Referee:  Wayne Barnes

ARs:  JP Doyle; Luke Pearce

TMO: Graham Hughes.

All the officials are from England.

Friday 25th - edited with team announcements.

Toulon
Delon Armitage;
Drew Mitchell, Mathieu Bastareaud, Matt Giteau, Bryan Habana;
Jonny Wilkinson (c), Sebastien Tillous-Borde;
Xavier Chiocci, Craig Burden, Carl Hayman,
Danie Rossouw, Jocelino Suta,
Juan Smith, Juan Fernandez Lobbe, Steffon Armitage.
Remplaçants : Jean-Charles Orioli, Alexandre Menini, Martin Castrogiovanni, Virgile Bruni, David Smith, Maxime Mermoz, Michael Claassens, Konstantine Mikautadze.

Munster
Felix Jones;
Keith Earls, Casey Laulala, James Downey, Simon Zebo;
Ian Keatley, Conor Murray;
Dave Kilcoyne, Damien Varley Capt., BJ Botha;
Dave Foley, Paul O'Connell;
CJ Stander, Sean Dougall, James Coughlan.
Replacements: Duncan Casey, James Cronin, John Ryan, Donncha O'Callaghan, Tommy O'Donnell, Duncan Williams, JJ Hanrahan, Denis Hurley.

As my stomach is already churning when I think of Sunday, I thought I would start the ball rolling on the topic.

Munster Abú

Last edited by KiaRose on Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 3:27; edited 3 times in total

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

HEC Semi-Final Toulon v Munster, Stade Velodrome, Marseille - Page 3 Empty Re: HEC Semi-Final Toulon v Munster, Stade Velodrome, Marseille

Post by Notch Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 0:36

This weekend I am.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

HEC Semi-Final Toulon v Munster, Stade Velodrome, Marseille - Page 3 Empty Re: HEC Semi-Final Toulon v Munster, Stade Velodrome, Marseille

Post by whocares Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 1:30

Notch wrote:If the Final is Saracens vs Toulon I'm not even going to watch it Wink Whistle 

I know what you mean Notch... back in 2012, I did think about not watching the HC final Wink Whistle

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 1:35

I'm hoping for a Sarries v RCT Final
Mainly so I get to see some past and present England players in Cardiff, but in truth I be just as happy with any of them as I'm a rugby fan at the end of the day.  Very Happy 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 3:40

Any Munster fans surprised / worried about Varley as captain?

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 3:46

Nah..better off. We all know who the real leader will be. Good call imo as Varley will still question the ref but is not as in your face as POC (who seems to have a tendency to annoy them these days).

Or maybe its because Varley is the one who is usually giving away the silly penalties so he will be right on the spot for discussing them with Wayne...  Whistle 

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 3:50

whocares wrote:
Notch wrote:If the Final is Saracens vs Toulon I'm not even going to watch it Wink Whistle 

I know what you mean Notch... back in 2012, I did think about not watching the HC final  Wink Whistle

It was great. It was just all these English people who were totally baffled. It's amazing how little just your average person in the street knows about rugby in London I found. They didn't know why we were there and what was going on, and this was all just minutes walk from Twickenham.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 3:57

Bit offensive!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 4:19

No, just an illustration of the difference between London and any city in Ireland. Any big sporting event like that would be the talk of the country in the weeks leading up to it, even if it didn't involve Irish teams at all. People were just walking around in London in 2012 completely and utterly bemused at all the rugby fans. They had no idea about what was happening.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 4:22

I'm intrigued by that, Notch. Surely most of the 'people on the street' one minute from Twickenham would have been heading to the game.

Anyhow, I should get back to the pub after the Wasps game to watch this one. I will probably miss a good chunk of Saturday's game as I'll be watching Ealing v Rotherham.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 4:28

Hound of Harrow wrote:I'm intrigued by that, Notch. Surely most of the 'people on the street' one minute from Twickenham would have been heading to the game.

All day in London we were approached by people who saw us in our gear and wanted to know what on earth was going on- not in the sense it was any bother, they were perfectly friendly. Just curious as to what was going on with all the hard drinking colour coded Irish people. It was bizarre. Stopped by confused locals three or four times!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 4:29

Most of them would have been tourist in London.

Plus rugby isn't a major sport in England.

Good luck to all the teams taking part in the euro semi's this weekend, all deserve to be there and have earned the right to be respected by all rugby fans, hope you all have great weekends following your teams. Very Happy
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 4:33

very few cities have as many people in or as much going on as London. And rugby is really not particularly popular in London. saw recent census data for 2011 which showed that London now has over 1 in 3 of its population born overseas, and over 50% who do not consider themselves British. I think that explains why rugby is least popular in London compared to anywhere else in the UK, and how 80,000 irishmen in rugby shirts could be a mystery to so many.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 4:34

I'm not framing it as any sort of criticism. It was just very funny.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 4:42

Hilarious no doubt!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 4:58

I can understand it in central London, Notch. It's very much a draw for theatre goers, diners, night clubbers, culture and sightseers. - I.e. a lot more going on than in most Irish towns and cities.

I would be surprised if more than 1 in 50 people in London had any interest in rugby.

The way sport is organised in Ireland based around counties and provinces will inevitably wed it to the general population in a parochial way.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 5:14

Good post Hound. I believe if the HC final was held in Paris even between 2 french clubs, 80% of the people wouldnt have a clue of whats going on and 10% would probably think it's the T14 final!

Anyway, let's hope it is a good weekend of rugby free of controversial referee decision and good luck to all teams and fans. Will re connect on monday Smile

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 5:22

whocares - The irony is the final should have been in Paris this year Smile

Back on topic, if Munster show the same intensity and physicality in defence and the same clinical finishing they brought to the game against Toulouse, then they have every chance of turning over Toulon.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by dubh_linn Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 5:51

For the leinster v northampton final i had a friend from ireland staying in my house in south london but he couldnt get his head around the fact that when he talked about 'the match' to londoners that they didnt know what he was talking about and
assumed he meant football which he found perplexing and annoying. In the end i had to explain that in a city of approx 10million people that rugby was a minority sport and that on any given weekend there were multiple big sporting events on...mind you i did wait quite a while before i told him as listening to the exchanges was very funny

dubh_linn

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 8:24

Composite Weather forecast from three different websites for Marseille on Sunday: Light cloud from 14.00; more cloud from 17.00; temp about 18deg C; could be a few showers on Sunday afternoon; very windy (wind speeds from about 28mph gusting to 38mph).

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 8:40

Anybody else just sick with nerves? Wish I was there on the lash now.....

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 8:55

BlueMuff wrote:Anybody else just sick with nerves? Wish I was there on the lash now.....

Yes.

Should I be friendly and invite my Toulon supporting friend (who doesn't have Sky) to join us to see the game? I am conflicted on this. It would be a nice gesture, but could I cope if they win?

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 9:22

Kids, and everyone is banished from the house on Sunday. I am being abstemious tomorrow and intend to settle down with beer and remote for Sunday afternoon. I was hoping to go but it was not feasible. I have been promised solitude for Sunday

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 9:38

BlueMuff wrote:Anybody else just sick with nerves? Wish I was there on the lash now.....

BM,
First congrats on your new arrival and I hope she allows you a decent night's sleep tomorrow so that you can watch the game in relative peace. Also, that her first rugby game will be utterly memorable.

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 21:45

ME-109 wrote:
Thomond wrote:Think you're being unduly harsh on Stander, magnificent against Toulouse if he doesn't play like that we would have been in a spot of bother. You really can't read a lot into the Glasgow game, like the Leinster game. POM is a fine player we lose
more from a leadership aspect in my opinion given who he has selected, What Dougal is capable of doing at the breakdown and the presence of CJ means we can deal with it far more effectively. We have about 3 good carriers in the pack could do with one more but you're sacrificing TOD for Dougal in defence.

Possibly but our worst part of the Toulouse game was the 20-25 mins  after POM went off.  

Also losing TOD in the centrefield which he patrols effectively is an issue (Gears try).

Having said that CJs tackling stats are outstanding so to be clear given POMs injury he is the obvious choice....but its definitely weaker.

I think some of that has to be put down to the shock of losing POM and also Toulouse coming into it. We'll lose more from a leadership standpoint (how big an impact POM has you can't really say unless you're playing)

Nerves are building a bit, Cork City were playing last night so that's a distraction and there's some club rugby today that I might watch (Cork Con made an underage final DOD, it happened!) but otherwsie it's a bit torturous!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 26 Apr 2014 - 22:37

City are doing well...might take a wander down some Friday.

Been reading all the papers this morning. We might as well not turn up. I shouldnt bother as its only self inflicted...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 27 Apr 2014 - 1:58

Not  sure if anyone is watching the Saracens Clermont semi final but its been a good match so far.

Weird decision there though, James sent for ten and a penalty try awarded for what looked like a perfectly decent attempt at a catch...

Last edited by Nachos Jones on Sun 27 Apr 2014 - 1:59; edited 1 time in total

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 27 Apr 2014 - 1:58

I was just gonna say that was a good try by Saracens. But I couldn't find a Saracens vs Clermont thread?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 27 Apr 2014 - 2:01

Nor me Feckless.

Sarries playing very well indeed.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 27 Apr 2014 - 2:05

Saracens: Why doesn't everyone love me papa?
Nigel Wray: Don't worry son. I will make them love you. (ominous crack of lightning)
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sun 27 Apr 2014 - 3:10

Good luck Munster?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 27 Apr 2014 - 3:37

Well done Sarries?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 27 Apr 2014 - 5:59

Am hoping Toulon win it.

Toulon v Saracens final will be the last ironic tick in the box for Ritchie, McCafferty & Co. as they call time on the H Cup.

Normal service has resumed.

The ERC is dead, long live the ERCC.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sun 27 Apr 2014 - 7:48

Can't see either of these two beating Sarries if they play like they did today, Sarries name is already on the cup.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 27 Apr 2014 - 19:01

I hope the Munster defensive coaches watched the Sarries match yesterday and took some notes. That performance yesterday is exactly the way to frustrate and beat those teams.

Got the beer in, herself has made an appointment at the time of the match so I get to sit in, have a few beers and enjoy the match with Munster winning.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:07

Children banished...check
Beer cold....check
Nerves wrecked (could be looking at this from behind the sofa if things go wrong)...check
Changing from wild optimism to feelings of doom every five minutes...check...

Gwan to f.....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:08

Good luck Munster. It's a massive ask but you know, to the brave and faithful...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:11

With you on that one ME-109.

Not expecting a win today but there is that little feeling that Munster will. It could also be the early beers affecting my judgment somewhat as well...

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:15

If the team feel the same fear as they did before the Toulouse game it will work in our favour...we need a fast start, get in their faces and make them doubt themselves from the beginning. ...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:16

How nervous was Penney in that interview - almost as nervouse as I am.

Join you behind the sofa, ME

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:17

Strong defence is the key for the first 20 I feel, Toulon will throw everything at Munster in the first 20.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:19

Nah attack attack attack....protect the ball and frustrate them....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:21

I'm with ME-109 on this one, Munster need to take it to them.  Put Toulon on the back foot and anything can happen from there.

C'MON MUNSTER!!!
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:23

We made the mistake last year of "hanging on" and when it got to the 60th minute we were five mins short of winning. Trying to hold on against Toulon would be a disaster I feel...of course Toulon might have something to say about that...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:23

I would love that ME but I really think that Toulon will go hell for leather and with good defence, Munster will frustrate them and then attack.

Hope that Stander puts in another big performance.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:27

GWAN.....

Right thats it until halftime...for analysis or lot of ranting...  Smile 

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:28

If anyone can do it, Munster can.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:30

Jaysus, I hate to quote Gibbo but...

BELIEVE

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:32

Great kick off from keatley.  Big scrum wanted by Munster here.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:33

Going to be one of those days...

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon 28 Apr 2014 - 1:38

Great turnover by Varley!

Come on Keatley

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next