The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread

+40
geoff998rugby
pete (buachaill on eirne)
SecretFly
Don Alfonso
Thomond
The Great Aukster
rodders
Brendan
Standulstermen
Dave.
brennomac
BlueMuff
Feckless Rogue
asoreleftshoulder
thebandwagonsociety
KiaRose
Kingshu
GunsGerms
Pete330v2
Mickado
Scrumpy
Jenifer McLadyboy
Biltong
Sin é
LeinsterFan4life
profitius
clivemcl
HammerofThunor
Submachine
Portnoy's Complaint
whocares
Nachos Jones
LondonTiger
Golden
formerly known as Sam
ReadBetweenthePosts
ME-109
GoodinTightSpaces
MunsterMac
Notch
44 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread - Page 3 Empty The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread

Post by Notch Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:04 am

First topic message reminder :

Fans of Ulster, Leinster, Munster and Connacht unite! A place is here to talk of your teams.

Discuss the Pro12 run-in, the provinces prospects in Europe next season, the tour to Argentina and why we're generally just the best. I mean, just how great are we? Lets talk about that.

But mainly whatever feckin' thing comes into your head!

Last edited by Notch on Tue 29 Apr 2014, 12:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 30 Apr 2014, 3:37 pm

Notch wrote:All to the better LF4L. The provinces were designed to foster and nurture Irish talent. We'll continue to do that. Tbh we've 3 teams in the Top 8 of Europe and 3 teams in the Top 4 of the Pro12, only one big-name player outside Ireland, so we're not in a bad place.
Yep, I'd rather keep SOB and Heaslip over any SH player. We'll have the same fight on our hands next year when Healy is out of contract  Shocked 

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread

Post by ME-109 Thu 01 May 2014, 3:51 am

Munster have signed Andrew Smith from the Brumbies....not exactly a marquee signing - then again Halstadt and Tipoki werent exactly world beaters at the time they were signed but did a great job for us. He is 6ft 4 and 104kg so more in the Trevor Halstad mode...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 01 May 2014, 4:19 am

ME-109 wrote:Munster have signed Andrew Smith from the Brumbies....not exactly a marquee signing - then again Halstadt and Tipoki werent exactly world beaters at the time they were signed but did a great job for us. He is 6ft 4 and 104kg so more in the Trevor Halstad mode...

Whats the obsession with "marquee signings"?

IMO if you are going to sign foreigners you are much better off uncovering gems with long term prospects. Guys like Stan Wright, Nacewa etc.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 01 May 2014, 4:21 am

This is the thing ME-German fighter dude, the likes of Tipoki were unknown quantities at the time. Johann Muller wasn't a name to excite Ulster fans as other signings yet look what he became and now we wish we could clone the great man.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 01 May 2014, 4:26 am

GunsGerms wrote:
ME-109 wrote:Munster have signed Andrew Smith from the Brumbies....not exactly a marquee signing - then again Halstadt and Tipoki werent exactly world beaters at the time they were signed but did a great job for us. He is 6ft 4 and 104kg so more in the Trevor Halstad mode...

Whats the obsession with "marquee signings"?

IMO if you are going to sign foreigners you are much better off uncovering gems with long term prospects. Guys like Stan Wright, Nacewa etc.

The "marquee" comment was just a throwaway one. Sure would be delighted if we got a Conrad Smith or something  Whistle . But am quite happy that they have gone for someone like Smith. Never really made his mark in the Brumbies but a decent player and looks like he could do a job for us. So chillax Guns you are far too uptight lately...  Laugh

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 01 May 2014, 4:41 am

Could be a very good signing. Only thing I worry about Australians is that they find Irish weather very challenging! I'd say he will be a good signing though, as Laurie Fisher will know him very well and he wouldn't send a dud if he ever wants to come back on his annual holiday to Munster!

He played at 12 for the Brumbies in the win against the B&I Lions. He is a big bruiser of a fellow.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 01 May 2014, 4:43 am

ME-109 wrote:
The "marquee" comment was just a throwaway one. Sure would be delighted if we got a Conrad Smith or something  Whistle . But am quite happy that they have gone for someone like Smith. Never really made his mark in the Brumbies but a decent player and looks like he could do a job for us. So chillax Guns you are far too uptight lately...  Laugh

Zen as always Dod. furious 

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Thu 01 May 2014, 4:44 am

Tipoki may not have been well known this side of the world when he came but he was very well known in the SH.

In fact that was part of the problem.

His talent and abilities were never in question but he did have a history which was mainly why he decided to leave and make a fresh start with Munster.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 01 May 2014, 4:45 am

MunsterMac wrote:Tipoki may not have been well known this side of the world when he came but he was very well known in the SH.

In fact that was part of the problem.

His talent and abilities were never in question but he did have a history which was mainly why he decided to leave and make a fresh start with Munster.

I remember he played against the Lions in an '03 tour game. Darce did quite a bad spear tackle on him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 01 May 2014, 4:50 am

so that guy seems more of a Downey type rather than Laulala one? who's likely to play 13 next year?

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 01 May 2014, 4:52 am

whocares wrote:so that guy seems more of a Downey type rather than Laulala one? who's likely to play 13 next year?

Hanrahan I reckon could do a job there. Im also a fan of Earls at 13 even though everyone else has given up on him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 01 May 2014, 4:52 am

whocares wrote:so that guy seems more of a Downey type rather than Laulala one? who's likely to play 13 next year?

Earls possibly, there is another Dineen who is decent enough. who knows...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 01 May 2014, 4:53 am

In other news...

D Ryan is out for the rest of the season by the looks of things.

Also there is a rumour that Brian Walsh (ex Con coach) is being lined up for the backs...only a rumour though. Would be a good addition to Foley, Costelloe and Micko.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 01 May 2014, 4:55 am

ME-109 wrote:In other news...

Also there is a rumour that Brian Walsh (ex Con coach) is being lined up for the backs...only a rumour though. Would be a good addition to Foley, Costelloe and Micko.

Surely its time for EOS to be given a job? Out of the game too long?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Thu 01 May 2014, 5:02 am

Given that Smith has only been signed on a one year contract I would imagine the hope is to approach a better quality SH option after Xmas in the hope of getting them to come to Munster after the WC.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 01 May 2014, 5:08 am

GunsGerms wrote:

Personally I wouldnt be against it. But Brian Walsh is someone who should have been given a shot a long time ago and would be a good addition.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 01 May 2014, 5:55 am

Ulster's Ian Porter signed up for Connacht I see.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 01 May 2014, 6:00 am

GunsGerms wrote:

I think it would be a bad move for Foley himself trying to establish himself as the new head coach.

I really like the idea of an all-Irish coaching ticket though. We're always putting ourselves down and not giving ourselves a chance.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 01 May 2014, 6:02 am

Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

I think it would be a bad move for Foley himself trying to establish himself as the new head coach.

I really like the idea of an all-Irish coaching ticket though. We're always putting ourselves down and not giving ourselves a chance.

I wouldn't have said that would be a problem of yours Sin Wink

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 01 May 2014, 7:33 am

Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

I like the idea of Foley/Costelloe/Micko/Walsh as a coaching ticket. Recent players, good experience and new. Also the Cork/Limerick split is good.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu 01 May 2014, 8:33 am

Feckless Rogue wrote:First of all France, England and Wales are too strong for us to expect to dominate the 6 Nations. We didn't dominate when Wales and England were weak for much of the 00's.

Secondly, keeping home grown players in Ireland has to be the priority. 3-5 top class foreign players would probably be needed to be knocking out Toulon, Clermont and Saracens. Remember they are the only three teams that have knocked out Uslter/Munster/Leinster in the last two years. Because they're probably the only three teams in Europe better than our top 3 teams.

Splashing out on that extra foreign talent should only be considered if there is extra money to spare after securing the top Irish players. We'll be lucky if we can even do that with all the money the French have and the RFU talking about England at least matching the French salary cap in the future.

If Munster, Leinster and Ulster are in the top 8 teams in Europe and keeping the top Irish players then Ireland is not in a bad place at all.

I disagree,France are a busted flush,the Top 14 is destroying any chance they have of getting back to the top level of the game and while they have some serious talent still they are missing class in key positions,outhalf and head coach are the most glaring issues.

Wales have peaked imo,they were never able to beat us by much (with one exception) even when they were at their best and we were awful,now that we have a coach who can pick apart their weaknesses they will have to adapt to beat us and they haven't shown any signs that they are really capable of adapting.They also have serious weaknesses at 9,10 and unless the possibly TH although their is at least one promising young player here.

England are the threat,they have a coach who has them playing well and really working as a team,imo it'll be a shootout between us and them for the next few years but we're already one up as we've won the tough 6N with France and England away.I also think Schmidt has much more scope to improve our team than Lancaster does with England purely on the point that Schmidt is only in the door so his ideas are only bedding in whereas Lancaster is already a good way down the road.England could also suffer if the clubs succeed in raising the salary cap and use their sugar daddies and new European Cup money to buy in top class SH players who will play instead of young English players.Long term the new European Cup could do real damage to the English national team.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 04 May 2014, 9:26 am

Kane Douglas to Leinster a done deal according to Peter O'Reilly of the Sunday Times. Leinster are meant to be announcing the signing on Tuesday.

The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread - Page 3 146864-kane-douglas
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Sun 04 May 2014, 10:49 am

If it's true, looks like a good signing with Leo retiring and McCarthy not much moire than a bit part player. Would make for a solid second row with Toner - certainly plenty of height - 6'7" Douglas and 6'11" Toner. Dunno if he's going to have the impact of Hines or Thorn but still a gap filled.

Now if only we had a decent post-BOD centre pairing, a decent 10 (Madigan has gone backwards hugely this year), a decent second SH (Boss is past it) and a decent coach, we'd be grand for 2014-15.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 04 May 2014, 11:45 am

Looks like the provinces can still make big name SH signings! Great signing.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sun 04 May 2014, 12:08 pm

Quinn Roux is rumoured to be released. Just too many injury problems i wonder?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 05 May 2014, 4:08 am

Glasgow fans won't be too happy with this article  censored 

They've proved their as good as anyone in the league but until they make the breakthrough in Europe the Irish media won't take them seriously

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/rabodirect-pro12/welsh-must-get-act-together-for-pro12-to-thrive-30243840.html
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 05 May 2014, 4:09 am

Still, it's right. The falling standards of the Welsh teams constitute a crisis.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 05 May 2014, 7:43 am

Mils Muliaina signs with Connacht.

How times have changed! It looks like Connacht will be the only Irish team to have a former All-Black on their books next season.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 05 May 2014, 8:01 am

Similar to when Ulster had their big signings, the idea is to no longer need big signings ten years later. Their back line will be a wonderful synthesis of imports and homegrown dynamos and down the line guys like Henshaw will take the leadership and talisman role off Muliaina, the same way we hope Chris Henry will take the leadership role of Muller in the squad. Ulster aren't there yet and Connacht are even further off but the idea is to use these short term big name signings as a stopgap to bring short term success while the long term development plan unfolds in the background  OK 

9 Marmion
10 Carty
11 Leader
12 Aki
13 Henshaw
14 Poolman
15 Muliaina

With Carr (who I feel isn't really up to it for them), O'Hallornan and McSharry also there. Looks good to me, a lot will rest of young Jack Cartys shoulders next season.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 05 May 2014, 8:10 am

Notch wrote:Still, it's right. The falling standards of the Welsh teams constitute a crisis.

PRO 12 team of the season is a laugh. Mostly Welsh players.  Very Happy 

15 - Liam Williams (Scarlets)
14 - Jeff Hassler (Ospreys)

13 - Casey Laulala (Munster)
12 - Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors)
11 - Andrew Trimble (Ulster)
10 - Dan Biggar (Ospreys)
9 - Gareth Davies (Scarlets)

1 - Dave Kilcoyne (Munster)
2 - Seán Cronin (Leinster)
3 - Samson Lee (Scarlets)
4 - Johann Muller (Ulster, capt)
5 - Alun-Wyn Jones (Ospreys)
6 - Rhys Ruddock (Leinster)
7 - Jordi Murphy (Leinster)
8 - Robin Copeland (Cardiff Blues)

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/14946.php#.U2d_Gy_fYnV

Whatever about provincial players, Glasgow surely deserve more than one player on the dreamteam.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 05 May 2014, 8:14 am

Aye, I agree. I made a separate thread about it out on the forum.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Mon 05 May 2014, 10:54 am

Great job by Ballynahinch to stay in 1A by beating Buccaneers in the playoff. Only Ulster side in 1A. Been unfortunate a few times in their first year in the division.

And I know their Number 8!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 07 May 2014, 8:29 am

Anyone heard of Sean McCartney a prop playing for Jersey? Leinster have signed him up. 23 and IQ.

Don't know if he's a LH or TH. Would have thought we were well stocked both sides of the scrum though. Maybe he's replacing O'Connell?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 07 May 2014, 9:45 am

Golden wrote:Anyone heard of Sean McCartney a prop playing for Jersey? Leinster have signed him up. 23 and IQ.  

Don't know if he's a LH or TH. Would have thought we were well stocked both sides of the scrum though. Maybe he's replacing O'Connell?

He's a LH, signed to replace O'Connell, he's just there as back up in case we're missing 2 LH's to the Irish squad again. And he's IQ too.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 07 May 2014, 3:34 pm

Interesting this morning to see Penney say Muliaina going to Connacht was not a good thing (or at least fair) while Schmidt said it was a good thing.....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 07 May 2014, 4:06 pm

Penney is probably more annoyed that Connacht (allegedly) outbid the other two provinces for Aki. In fairness I don't buy that but he has nothing to keep discreet about now. I would say it would be a bit annoying as Munster will be light in the centre

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 07 May 2014, 4:46 pm

I thought he was more annoyed about the NIQ issue that allows Connacht to have more than the other three provinces...at least that was part of my understanding. Munster have signed Andrew Smith so they arent that light (although noone seems to know much about him).

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 07 May 2014, 5:23 pm

I think a Penny is leaving he is just using the situation to vent his frustration having to deal with the NIQ rule.

think its interesting he mentions all these irish players at the other provinces not getting chances to play at Connacht when history says they dont want to.

Do we expect Connacht to push for a top 6 next year. I think losing parks is a big loss but you have to feel their backs will be stronger. Disappointed by their start this season so not sure if next year will be another one that promises so much but fails.
Even with their bad start they have picked up quiet a few TBP for them

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 07 May 2014, 5:25 pm

ME-109 wrote:I thought he was more annoyed about the NIQ issue that allows Connacht to have more than the other three provinces...at least that was part of my understanding. Munster have signed Andrew Smith so they arent that light (although noone seems to know much about him).

No but the signing of smith is hardly stellar when compared to Aki. When you consider the names mentioned for any of the provinces Connachts are the most impressive even if Mils is probably a bit past it in the playing sense.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 07 May 2014, 5:32 pm

Personally am happy with the Smith signing and the onus on us to start developing people. Isnt that what its all about? Having said that I wouldnt have said no to a Jean de Villiers or someone instead of Smith.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 07 May 2014, 6:30 pm

Trimble won IRUPA player of the year.

Henshaw got the young player of the year award for the 2nd year in a row.

Kearneys intercept against New Zealand is try of the year. That the best we can do? Guess it had more to do with the occasion.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 07 May 2014, 6:31 pm

Angry Andy  angel 

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 07 May 2014, 7:06 pm

I see McKinney has gone back to Rotherham. Good to see that he was able to get a contract somewhere else despite it not working out for him this season.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 08 May 2014, 8:25 am

Chucken won unsung hero award last night...well deserved..going to be some battle with Copeland and probably CJ for the No.8 jersey next season.

Cant believe Kearneys try was picked over either JJs or Sextons...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Thu 08 May 2014, 8:29 am

Yep think it the occasion and the opposition that led them to pick Kearney's try v NZ - agree JJ or Sexton or even Kearney's try v England were much more worthy. He did very well with his try v NZ but in reality once he gathered the ball all he had to do was run with only Kieran Reid chasing him down - wasn't a teamwork try like Sexton's or a piece of individual brilliance like JJ's.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 08 May 2014, 8:34 am

Pretty amazing that only 1 Munster player has won Player of the Year in the last 10 years (and thats POC in 2005).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 08 May 2014, 8:40 am

Its a lulster love in most of the time....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Thu 08 May 2014, 8:40 am

Sin é wrote:Pretty amazing that only 1 Munster player has won Player of the Year in the last 10 years (and thats POC in 2005).

Is it really that surprising?

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 08 May 2014, 8:45 am

For the try in terms of team play and individual brilliance JJs was the best by a mile, the interplay between Hurley and TOD in the lead up to it and JJs outrageous sidestep...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 08 May 2014, 9:12 am

I hate it when intercept tries make it into top ten lists or awards. Fair enough you've to be in the right place etc but the rest comes down to sheer luck and pace. I'd prefer to see a try judged on team effort or individual skill and that Munster try definately fulfils the criteria.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next