The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread

+40
geoff998rugby
pete (buachaill on eirne)
SecretFly
Don Alfonso
Thomond
The Great Aukster
rodders
Brendan
Standulstermen
Dave.
brennomac
BlueMuff
Feckless Rogue
asoreleftshoulder
thebandwagonsociety
KiaRose
Kingshu
GunsGerms
Pete330v2
Mickado
Scrumpy
Jenifer McLadyboy
Biltong
Sin é
LeinsterFan4life
profitius
clivemcl
HammerofThunor
Submachine
Portnoy's Complaint
whocares
Nachos Jones
LondonTiger
Golden
formerly known as Sam
ReadBetweenthePosts
ME-109
GoodinTightSpaces
MunsterMac
Notch
44 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread - Page 2 Empty The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread

Post by Notch Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

Fans of Ulster, Leinster, Munster and Connacht unite! A place is here to talk of your teams.

Discuss the Pro12 run-in, the provinces prospects in Europe next season, the tour to Argentina and why we're generally just the best. I mean, just how great are we? Lets talk about that.

But mainly whatever feckin' thing comes into your head!

Last edited by Notch on Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread

Post by Mickado Wed 30 Apr 2014, 10:44 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:So what will you guys be doing on the 24th May?  Wink

Watching re-runs of previous HC finals?
Bidding on ERC memorabilia on eBay?

At least we have a choice of 6 re runs to dig out.. :)all of which are newer than the sepia tinted footage of 98......

That's called banter too.

That's near 24hrs viewing goodness (with extended pre and post game footage), a pretty tidy Saturday by all accounts.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread

Post by MunsterMac Wed 30 Apr 2014, 10:48 am

I have to say that if the original thread had been left alone we had already sorted out a strategy to deal with this idiocy.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 30 Apr 2014, 10:48 am

MunsterMac wrote:
rubbish at hurling sticks though

Just to clarify that only a tiny bit of Kerry in the north of the county around Ballyduff plays any hurling and they are actually quite good at it.

The story is that way back at the dawn of the GAA Kerry were just as good at hurling as football and  even won an All Ireland in 1891.

But given that all the other Munster counties favoured hurling a decision was made to concentrate on football and the rest as they say is history.

My understanding is that the counties that had flat landscape tended to play hurling and more upland areas went for football. For example, Hurling is played in North Kerry & East Galway which don't have any mountaineous land. Gaelic football is favoured in West Cork and the only place it is played in Tipperary is around the mountainous Glen of Aherlow.

The story goes that the sliotar would be lost in the heather on mountainous land, where as you need a flat playing area to play hurling.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 30 Apr 2014, 10:53 am

Sin é wrote:
MunsterMac wrote:

Just to clarify that only a tiny bit of Kerry in the north of the county around Ballyduff plays any hurling and they are actually quite good at it.

The story is that way back at the dawn of the GAA Kerry were just as good at hurling as football and  even won an All Ireland in 1891.

But given that all the other Munster counties favoured hurling a decision was made to concentrate on football and the rest as they say is history.

My understanding is that the counties that had flat landscape tended to play hurling and more upland areas went for football. For example, Hurling is played in North Kerry & East Galway which don't have any mountaineous land. Gaelic football is favoured in West Cork and the only place it is played in Tipperary is around the mountainous Glen of Aherlow.

The story goes that the sliotar would be lost in the heather on mountainous land, where as you need a flat playing area to play hurling.

Ah yes, who could forget the 1922 Tipperary U21 A Final between Aherlow and Eire Óg.

Spoiler:

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:01 am

Sin é wrote:
MunsterMac wrote:

Why is it so popular in Cork City then...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:05 am

Mickado wrote:
Sin é wrote:
MunsterMac wrote:

Ah yes, who could forget the 1922 Tipperary U21 A Final between Aherlow and Eire Óg.

Spoiler:

Oh mother of god, there will be a big night in the Glen!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:06 am

Mickado wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Scumpy, you really are a grade A bell-end with absolutely no class about you whatsoever OK

Don't fight with an idiot, an onlooker might not be able to tell the difference.

thumbsup 
Nice one Mick, it's funny because it's true SmileSmile

We need the wums on here though, it's reminds us of our own higher moral ground and makes us feel better about ourselves Wink

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:07 am

ME-109 wrote:
Sin é wrote:
MunsterMac wrote:

Any pitches on the side of hills DOD?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:12 am

Sin é wrote:
ME-109 wrote:
Sin é wrote:
MunsterMac wrote:

Any pitches on the side of hills DOD?

All of the Northside clubs....Glen Rovers pitch has a lovely slope to it.

What about De Pairc being redeveloped....with Frank going/gone would be useful for a few rugby games maybe

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:17 am

All I can say is that it doesn't really surprise me that Cork people wouldn't go with the flow of accepted wisdom that football suits hilly ground more than hurling does!

There will be anarchy in Cork GAA if Frank goes! Very Happy  Ye'll go mad down there.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:21 am

Sin é wrote:All I can say is that it doesn't really surprise me that Cork people wouldn't go with the flow of accepted wisdom that football suits hilly ground more than hurling does!

There will be anarchy in Cork GAA if Frank goes! Very Happy  Ye'll go mad down there.

Meh...breeds good skilful hurlers rather than the mullickers in Tipp and KK  Whistle Look at Clare they probably spend all their time trying to find the sliothers in the Burren...much better for it.

Frank  furious ..lets just say his leaving might help Cork GAA into the 20th century not to mind the 21st. Who knows we might get some proper structures in place....not one Cork city school in the Harty cup...when I was in school there were at least 4.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 30 Apr 2014, 11:33 am

Hurling is played in East Clare (close to the border with Tipp  Wink )
Those mullickers in Tipp sorted the men from the boys last weekend Whistle 

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:01 pm

Well its the exact same league final as last year....both teams did really well in the championship.. Cool 

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:10 pm

Hurling is played in East & Mid Clare with a dusting of West Clare thrown in (Kilnamona, Kilmaley, Corofin etc).

And East Clare is quite mountainous (Shieve Bernagh) which goes slightly against the Flat / Mountain Theory.

And we'll see who sorts who out when the real stuff starts!! furious

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:19 pm

Wouldnt be too concerned MM. Tipp have won their obligatory one All Ireland a decade and then spend the next nine years falling to pieces before they get lucky again...and then they start again...its like clockwork.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:38 pm

Munster rugby have announced that Niall Ronan is retiring due to injury....pretty sad...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 30 Apr 2014, 12:49 pm

Very sad. Glad to see he has a career lined up.

Remarkable the number of players Munster have lost to injury over the last few years.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:07 pm

so, Ian Humphreys leaving London Irish and wishes to return to Ireland. Would anyone have him though?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:11 pm

He could move to Munster as backup 10 for when we want to play Keatley / JJ at 12.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:13 pm

Ian Humphreys is going back to Ulster. They could do with him.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:14 pm

LondonTiger wrote:so, Ian Humphreys leaving London Irish and wishes to return to Ireland. Would anyone have him though?

I'd take him at Leinster over Gopperth and make Madigan 1st choice.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:14 pm

dan Parks is gone from connacht. worth a go??

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:37 pm

Munster have apparently signed Martin Kelly (tighthead) who played Leinster A this year. 20stone and 6ft 2. Is from Dublin University...anyone know anything about him?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:38 pm

Did anyone see the rumour that Mils Muliaina is moving to Connacht?

Credance is added to it with Duffy going and Henshaw playing more at centre. A good fullback would be required.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:40 pm

Kingshu wrote:Did anyone see the rumour that Mils Muliaina is moving to Connacht?

Credance is added to it with Duffy going and Henshaw playing more at centre. A good fullback would be required.

Yes it has been a rumour for a while now. Mils is 34 though and has been playing in Japan I think. Is it really a good move?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:41 pm

ME-109 wrote:Munster have apparently signed Martin Kelly (tighthead) who played Leinster A this year. 20stone and 6ft 2.  Is from Dublin University...anyone know anything about him?

He loves cheese and onion crips. Just kidding never heard of him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:00 pm

LondonTiger wrote:so, Ian Humphreys leaving London Irish and wishes to return to Ireland. Would anyone have him though?

He's coming home to big brother at Ulster. It's a done deal as far as I was aware. Better backup to Jackson than we currently have.

Has he developed his tackling style with London Irish. He went from being a doormat to jumping on players and going for a ride up the pitch when he was last with us Smile
He used to have moments of absolute genius balanced fairly evenly with moments where he completely disappeared in a game. But this time he's just backup so no worries. I am glad to see him back to be honest.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:03 pm

As Pete says its a done deal with Ulster. He'll be a useful and experienced backup for games during the international windows or if we need to manage Paddy.

Given he left because he was only going to be back-up to Paddy Jackson from last season onwards, it's kind of ironic but apparently the wife and kids are homesick so....

Last edited by Notch on Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:04 pm

ME-109 wrote:Munster have apparently signed Martin Kelly (tighthead) who played Leinster A this year. 20stone and 6ft 2.  Is from Dublin University...anyone know anything about him?

He sounds like a fair prospect. Mind you most people of 20 stone and 6ft 2 would do a job at TH........well apart from Mushy Buckley Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:05 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:

He sounds like a fair prospect. Mind you most people of 20 stone and 6ft 2 would do a job at TH........well apart from Mushy Buckley Smile

Third choice TH at Sale, behind a Moldovan and a young English kid who can't scrummage for toffee (but did ok against Ireland in the 6N Smile)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 30 Apr 2014, 2:16 pm

Henry Thomas will come good. He's still at that inconsistent stage but he'll come good.

Unless he's taking his scrummaging lessons from Tony Buckley...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Wed 30 Apr 2014, 5:16 pm

ME-109 wrote: In fact JJ Hanrahan and Mick Galway played rugby because they are the only people to have passed their Leaving certificate (school exams) in Kerry since the foundation of the Irish state.

Just a by the way small historical fact. Whatever about the current situation re educational achievement in Kerry, in days of yore, i.e. the first half of the nineteenth century, when travelling in foreign was popular amongst the moneyed and leisured classes, the West of Ireland was a favourite haunt for visitors. Needless to say, the language difficulties were significant as most people in the West were monolingual Irish speakers. The received wisdom passed amongst the travelling classes was "When in Kerry, if you wish to converse with the locals then you should speak Latin". They were not so illiterate / uneducated then as it would appear from the various comments on here that they are now  Whistle .

PS Shame about Niall Ronan.

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 30 Apr 2014, 5:17 pm

No, they just went to mass.  Wink

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 30 Apr 2014, 5:41 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:

From Wicklow, 24 years old and like Jamie Roberts, he is studying to be a doctor. Word is that Kelly is a powerful man and potentially very good. Leinster also wanted to sign him. It could be a very good signing for Munster.

Mushy Buckleys problem was he was too tall to be a top class scrummager. They just stuck him in there because he was very big. He should have been a lock IMO.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 5:44 pm

Going to be interesting to see if Archer will make it back - bulging disc is no joke. This would be a pity as he was beginning to look like a top class TH. Ryan has promise as well. They must have signed Kelly because of Archers issues (its only a one year development contract I think)

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 30 Apr 2014, 5:45 pm

KiaRose wrote:
ME-109 wrote: In fact JJ Hanrahan and Mick Galway played rugby because they are the only people to have passed their Leaving certificate (school exams) in Kerry since the foundation of the Irish state.

Just a by the way small historical fact.  Whatever about the current situation re educational achievement in Kerry, in days of yore, i.e. the first half of the nineteenth century, when travelling in foreign was popular amongst the moneyed and leisured classes, the West of Ireland was a favourite haunt for visitors.  Needless to say, the language difficulties were significant as most people in the West were monolingual Irish speakers.  The received wisdom passed amongst the travelling classes was "When in Kerry, if you wish to converse with the locals then you should speak Latin".  They were not so illiterate / uneducated then as it would appear from the various comments on here that they are now  Whistle .

Kia, I wonder has DOD heard of Daniel O'Connell, the first international statesman  ? Wink 
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 5:46 pm

Sin é wrote:
KiaRose wrote:

Just a by the way small historical fact.  Whatever about the current situation re educational achievement in Kerry, in days of yore, i.e. the first half of the nineteenth century, when travelling in foreign was popular amongst the moneyed and leisured classes, the West of Ireland was a favourite haunt for visitors.  Needless to say, the language difficulties were significant as most people in the West were monolingual Irish speakers.  The received wisdom passed amongst the travelling classes was "When in Kerry, if you wish to converse with the locals then you should speak Latin".  They were not so illiterate / uneducated then as it would appear from the various comments on here that they are now  Whistle .

Kia, I wonder has DOD heard of Daniel O'Connell, the first international statesman  ? Wink 

Does he play hurling?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 30 Apr 2014, 5:48 pm

He made absolute shyte of the Munster A scrum in the b&I cup qf in donnybrook. Foley was there watching. Probably signed him there and then. If yiz get him to a higher level of fitness. (Not that he looked unfit but you know pro fitness level) he could be a cracker.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 30 Apr 2014, 5:58 pm

With Moore, Ross and Furlong in front of him he needs to move to develop with game time.Moore and Furlong being so young still, Leinster won't be able to keep any quality TH coming out of the academy the next few years.

If only some of the backrow depth made the same decision.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Wed 30 Apr 2014, 5:59 pm

profitius wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:

From Wicklow, 24 years old and like Jamie Roberts, he is studying to be a doctor. Word is that Kelly is a powerful man and potentially very good. Leinster also wanted to sign him. It could be a very good signing for Munster.

Mushy Buckleys problem was he was too tall to be a top class scrummager. They just stuck him in there because he was very big. He should have been a lock IMO.

I agree, I always liked big Mushy and thought he should have been a backrower. It's a shame he disappeared off into rugby wilderness

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 30 Apr 2014, 6:02 pm

ME-109 wrote:
Sin é wrote:
KiaRose wrote:

Does he play hurling?

No, he was from Derrynane and they play gaelic football down there  Rolling Eyes 
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 30 Apr 2014, 7:10 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:
I agree, I always liked big Mushy and thought he should have been a backrower. It's a shame he disappeared off into rugby wilderness

I have fond memories of him throwing 18stone locks around like so many sacks of potatoes

CRASH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaex-bTi4l8

BANG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQS2lNRV0NQ

WALLOP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yH8m2R_zxE

Crap scrummager but definite cult hero
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 30 Apr 2014, 7:13 pm

So lads serious question here,if as I expect over the next few years Ireland dominate the 6N (I will be dissapointed if we don't win the Slam next year and barring an injury crisis I'd expect 4 out of 5 nearly every year) will some of the extra revenue the IRFU get from that be given to the provinces to allow us to compete with the big French clubs.

Obviously this is hugely dependent on the national team being very strong but just assume it comes to pass,do we use the extra money get a few top class SH signings each or will it be needed to keep our existing players at home?Alternatively is it used for something else like paying off the stadium loan early?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 30 Apr 2014, 7:26 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:So lads serious question here,if as I expect over the next few years Ireland dominate the 6N (I will be dissapointed if we don't win the Slam next year and barring an injury crisis I'd expect 4 out of 5 nearly every year) will some of the extra revenue the IRFU get from that be given to the provinces to allow us to compete with the big French clubs.

Obviously this is hugely dependent on the national team being very strong but just assume it comes to pass,do we use the extra money get a few top class SH signings each or will it be needed to keep our existing players at home?Alternatively is it used for something else like paying off the stadium loan early?

The IRFU are already spending the money wisely. I'd like to see them concentrate on the AIL if they've cash to spare. I suspect though that it will go the provinces to keep up with the wage inflation in rugby.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 30 Apr 2014, 7:50 pm

Downey is off to France apparently with Castres being rumored. That would be a great move for him! I thought he'd be looking at a team much lower down the table.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 30 Apr 2014, 7:56 pm

First of all France, England and Wales are too strong for us to expect to dominate the 6 Nations. We didn't dominate when Wales and England were weak for much of the 00's.

Secondly, keeping home grown players in Ireland has to be the priority. 3-5 top class foreign players would probably be needed to be knocking out Toulon, Clermont and Saracens. Remember they are the only three teams that have knocked out Uslter/Munster/Leinster in the last two years. Because they're probably the only three teams in Europe better than our top 3 teams.

Splashing out on that extra foreign talent should only be considered if there is extra money to spare after securing the top Irish players. We'll be lucky if we can even do that with all the money the French have and the RFU talking about England at least matching the French salary cap in the future.

If Munster, Leinster and Ulster are in the top 8 teams in Europe and keeping the top Irish players then Ireland is not in a bad place at all.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 30 Apr 2014, 8:02 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:First of all France, England and Wales are too strong for us to expect to dominate the 6 Nations. We didn't dominate when Wales and England were weak for much of the 00's.

Secondly, keeping home grown players in Ireland has to be the priority. 3-5 top class foreign players would probably be needed to be knocking out Toulon, Clermont and Saracens. Remember they are the only three teams that have knocked out Uslter/Munster/Leinster in the last two years. Because they're probably the only three teams in Europe better than our top 3 teams.

Splashing out on that extra foreign talent should only be considered if there is extra money to spare after securing the top Irish players. We'll be lucky if we can even do that with all the money the French have and the RFU talking about England at least matching the French salary cap in the future.

If Munster, Leinster and Ulster are in the top 8 teams in Europe and keeping the top Irish players then Ireland is not in a bad place at all.
Leinster have already signed their two marquee players; Heaslip and SOB. I'm sure those two are on a massive wage now to keep them away from Toulon. The days of signing top SH players are long gone, all the money will be used now to keep the best players in Ireland.

This just shows exactly that...Munster are looking at Brumbies center Andrew Smith http://thescore.thejournal.ie/andrew-smith-brumbies-munster-1441897-Apr2014/?utm_source=shortlink. This guy is no where near getting ahead of kuridrani at the Brumbies but this is the reality of it now.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 30 Apr 2014, 8:23 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:So lads serious question here,if as I expect over the next few years Ireland dominate the 6N (I will be dissapointed if we don't win the Slam next year and barring an injury crisis I'd expect 4 out of 5 nearly every year) will some of the extra revenue the IRFU get from that be given to the provinces to allow us to compete with the big French clubs.

As far as I know, the Aviva is paid off. The IRFU have loaned (repayable) the Stadium Company about 35m though. I'm presuming that they had to do this because the FAI were having financial difficulties.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Wed 30 Apr 2014, 8:33 pm

Sad news today to hear that Niall Ronan is retiring through injury. Never quiet made the break through the hc team but suffered with injuries that ultimately have forced him to give up.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 30 Apr 2014, 8:34 pm

All to the better LF4L. The provinces were designed to foster and nurture Irish talent. We'll continue to do that. Tbh we've 3 teams in the Top 8 of Europe and 3 teams in the Top 4 of the Pro12, only one big-name player outside Ireland, so we're not in a bad place.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next