The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Nadal Now The Wimbledon Favorite?

+33
banbrotam
FedsFan
kneel_before_nadal
Haddie-nuff
lags72
Jahu
JuliusHMarx
Born Slippy
sirfredperry
dummy_half
lydian
summerblues
mthierry
gboycottnut1
super_realist
Gerry SA
Josiah Maiestas
whocares
invisiblecoolers
Henman Bill
yloponom68
antonico
Danny_1982
CaledonianCraig
ChequeredJersey
Silver
naxroy
laverfan
kingraf
HM Murdock
skyeman
R!skysports
hawkeye
37 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Is Nadal now Wimbledon favorite?

Is Nadal Now The Wimbledon Favorite? - Page 4 Vote_lcap31%Is Nadal Now The Wimbledon Favorite? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 11 ]
Is Nadal Now The Wimbledon Favorite? - Page 4 Vote_lcap69%Is Nadal Now The Wimbledon Favorite? - Page 4 Vote_rcap 69% 
[ 24 ]

Total Votes : 35

Is Nadal Now The Wimbledon Favorite? - Page 4 Empty Is Nadal Now The Wimbledon Favorite?

Post by hawkeye Mon 09 Jun 2014, 5:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Last year Nadal felt unable to compete at Wimbledon but this year he's feeling a little better

"I want to try to play well again in Wimbledon," he said. "I'm healthy. That's the most important thing."

"I hope my knee will have the positive feeling on grass, because I feel my knee is better than last year on the rest of the surfaces,"

"Grass always was a little bit harder for me after the injury. Last year I tried, but I was not ready to compete at Wimbledon.

"Let's see how my feelings are there this year, but it's a very important tournament."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/27757048

Is Nadal now the favorite to add to his Wimbledon trophy collection? Nadal always has to win Wimbledon the tricky way as part of a channel slam but despite this I reckon he is now the favorite  king

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Is Nadal Now The Wimbledon Favorite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Nadal Now The Wimbledon Favorite?

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 10:16 am

How is that dubious? It is just a photo for crying out loud. If he really wanted to make a song and dance about it he would make reference to the injury at every opportunity which he hasn't. In fact he could wait a year after being defeated and make reference to it like a certain someone does.

Back to top Go down

Is Nadal Now The Wimbledon Favorite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Nadal Now The Wimbledon Favorite?

Post by kneel_before_nadal Thu 26 Jun 2014, 10:21 am

^ Don't you get it? If you keep talking about an injury you get accused of whining (the exact thing Roddick famously mocked Djokovic for with a never-ending list of health issues). Djokovic (and nobody else) has forgotten what Roddick said. So you do something that can't be quoted. You post a photo of the injury. And once again let me point out- he never wore a bandage at Roland Garros but made a point of wearing the bandage during his chess photo shoot.

kneel_before_nadal
kneel_before_nadal

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 26 Jun 2014, 10:31 am

Yes, we all know Djoko is a faker and attention-seeker, but Nadal is no better.

Maybe you know better as you kneel in front of him?  Laugh 
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 10:35 am

Take the Rosol match. I could accept that Nadal was carrying an injury given the length of absence after the match that he experienced. However, I don't buy it for the Darcis defeat. You don't go on a winning streak like he did afterwards if you were somewhat physically hampered.

Djokovic didn't wear the bandage for the match. So what. He may well have worn it as precaution during practice. I don't think there is anything dubious in that at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by kneel_before_nadal Thu 26 Jun 2014, 10:46 am

Nadal has always been able to win matches on clay while carrying injury, because he's the greatest clay player ever, and can therefore afford to be 60%. Whereas on other surfaces he needs to be 100% (or 80%) to win. So its pretty obvious that if he's injured he's going to still win Roland Garros and then lose on grass (a surface which requires extra low knee-bend) in particular. And Nadal said he took pain-killers in 2013. The odds are those pain-killers weren't enough at Wimbledon because like I said it requires extra low knee-bend (in week one especially). American hardcourts, very different obviously.

Last edited by kneel_before_nadal on Thu 26 Jun 2014, 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
kneel_before_nadal
kneel_before_nadal

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 10:48 am

@KbN... were you also recuperating during Wimbledon, Great Britain; 25.06.2012 and Vina del Mar, Chile; 04.02.2013 with Hoffitis? Laugh

I missed such discussions before KbN showed up on 23 Jun. Is Nadal Now The Wimbledon Favorite? - Page 4 3845856932

Wonderful GOAT debate in another guise. OK

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kneel_before_nadal Thu 26 Jun 2014, 10:50 am

^ Be very careful when accusing others of being another poster. Because I know for a fact you are 100% wrong. So think very carefully before you accuse me of being whoever it is you think I am. I had never seen this site in my life before I registered a couple of days ago. 100% wrong if you say otherwise.
kneel_before_nadal
kneel_before_nadal

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 10:55 am

kneel_before_nadal wrote:^ Be very careful when accusing others of being another poster. Because I know for a fact you are 100% wrong. So think very carefully before you accuse me of being whoever it is you think I am. I had never seen this site in my life before I registered a couple of days ago. 100% wrong if you say otherwise.

laverfan wrote:You remind me a lot of Amritia/IMBL/Red/... Wink

What part of this sentence requires an English (or perhaps a different language) explanation? Serbian, Latin, Swahili?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 11:02 am

kneel_before_nadal wrote:Nadal has always been able to win matches on clay while carrying injury, because he's the greatest clay player ever, and can therefore afford to be 60%. Whereas on other surfaces he needs to be 100% (or 80%) to win. So its pretty obvious that if he's injured he's going to still win Roland Garros and then lose on grass (a surface which requires extra low knee-bend) in particular. And Nadal said he took pain-killers in 2013. The odds are those pain-killers weren't enough at Wimbledon because like I said it requires extra low knee-bend (in week one especially). American hardcourts, very different obviously.

Ah but we are not discussing Clay.

I find it strange that Nadal is claiming an injury niggle for his defeat to Darcis, when before it was to do with little preparation he had on Grass going into the event. If you choose to follow the injury niggle and agree Nadal is playing at 80% in the American Hard Court swing I don't buy he would win 2 titles which one he had never won previously or even the made the final of or won the other which he hadn't won in 5 years! That is what I would call dubious.

Back to top Go down

Post by kneel_before_nadal Thu 26 Jun 2014, 11:06 am

laverfan wrote:
kneel_before_nadal wrote:^ Be very careful when accusing others of being another poster. Because I know for a fact you are 100% wrong. So think very carefully before you accuse me of being whoever it is you think I am. I had never seen this site in my life before I registered a couple of days ago. 100% wrong if you say otherwise.

laverfan wrote:You remind me a lot of Amritia/IMBL/Red/... Wink

What part of this sentence requires an English (or perhaps a different language) explanation? Serbian, Latin, Swahili?

You said "Wonderful GOAT debate in another guise."
That means you are accusing me of being another poster. And that is very disappointing, because if you convince others that I am another poster then their opinions became connected to my legacy, which is very annoying to me. For example, you used the term "GOAT debate".....and I never use the term "GOAT" ever, because I don't believe its possible to deduce a GOAT, and if you anoint a GOAT you are disrespecting the other greats. So if you are going to mistake me for another poster, don't attach GOAT to me.
kneel_before_nadal
kneel_before_nadal

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 26 Jun 2014, 11:15 am

kbn, drop this crap man. Your every post is how great Nadal is blla blla bllaaaaaaaaa.

You seem to know some tennis, so give us some tennis analysis and different angels.

We know who Nadal is and how good or bad he is, no need from you to push it on every post.

We were not born yesterday.

Change your nick too, as Nadals GF is getting jelous  Laugh 
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 26 Jun 2014, 11:17 am

JHM, easy on your trigger now...  censored 
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by kneel_before_nadal Thu 26 Jun 2014, 11:19 am

Jahu wrote:kbn, drop this crap man. Your every post is how great Nadal is blla blla bllaaaaaaaaa.

You seem to know some tennis, so give us some tennis analysis and different angels.

We know who Nadal is and how good or bad he is, no need from you to push it on every post.

We were not born yesterday.

Change your nick too, as Nadals GF is getting jelous  Laugh 

Whatever troll......
kneel_before_nadal
kneel_before_nadal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 11:42 am

Gents. Do remember that these blokes aren't crippled. People can still DO things while injured or recovering they don't need be in hospital with a drip for it to be legit. The djoko photo looks a bit if a wind up. A play on all the talk. Novak likes a joke here and there. The jetfoil photo is not comparable unless nadal specifically asked for it to be taken. And we need evidence if that cos as a rags fan even u haven't heard of it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 11:45 am

Ok gents knives away please. You're starting to wind each other up the mods especially should know better than this. You all claim that your adults soo keep the conversation adult

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 26 Jun 2014, 11:47 am

I'm out, before LF gets back from her coffee break Smile
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 26 Jun 2014, 11:52 am

I don't buy the Djokovic making the wrist injury thing as an excuse. It is common knowledge he had wrist trouble and it is common treatment for such injuries to be treated with crepe bandages to be applied to prevent movement. Along come photographers to interview and do a piece on Novak and that is all there is to it. I cannot recall Novak mentioning a wrist injury in any post-French Open interviews anyway.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 11:59 am

@KbN... Let Nadal play and win, he does not require a defence, does he? Neither does he require approval from any of us. Please try and find what "under a guise" means.

A direct accusation would be... - "You are XYZ..."
An indirect accusation would be... - "You are not XYZ, are you?"
An observation would be... - "You remind me of XYZ..."

We can take it off-line via PM, if you prefer it than such a public platform.

@Falzy... As Agassi said, there should be some "needle", or as SB says, there should be some "spice". I am glad to avoid some debates, because they just end up in trench-warfare. I find the 100%/80% discussion fascinating, but a tad repetitive, come every slam.

@Jahu... Will let JHM know.

PS: @CC... I recall Djokovic wearing leg and shoulder bands during Australia. Roddick and Federer have made comments which have stuck to him. They get brought up and interpreted subjectively without any context. I thought Nadal wore knee bandages during Del Potro W match? chin

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kneel_before_nadal Thu 26 Jun 2014, 12:19 pm

falzy21 wrote:Ok gents knives away please. You're starting to wind each other up the mods especially should know better than this. You all claim that your adults soo keep the conversation adult

Exactly.
kneel_before_nadal
kneel_before_nadal

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 12:20 pm

I think I'm right in saying that even a couple of Djoko fans here have acknowledged that the infamous presser in which Roddick gave his own unique 'perspective' on Djokovic's injury/health issues was pretty entertaining.

I won't link to it, but it's worth a look and not difficult to find for anyone who hasn't seen it.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 12:33 pm

In retrospect though lags its not funny because we now know that after he beat roddick he was considering beating him up which is extremely poor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 12:37 pm

Nothing wrong with that. He didn't act on his impulse and in fairness if I had an opponent who was messing around on court like Novak was I would've gone the whole 10 yards and probably decked him on court!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 12:42 pm

No way. A proper adult doesn't think about doing that. A jock would do that. You wind someone up and then they boast when they thrash you? The response is not I'm gonna beat him up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 12:46 pm

The response is I should shut my mouth before going up against a player much better than me

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 12:51 pm

The irony of that situation was that when they next played each other, Djokovic retired from the match.

Until you are in that situation you can't really gauge what your reaction will be. I have played some rather unsavoury players on the tennis court and sometimes a reaction is a difficult thing to avoid.

Also I don't think the Scot's who use this forum would be impressed with the 'A Jock would do that' comment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 1:02 pm

My apologies I was referring to the old word for American high school bullies. Might have the wrong word I've been wound too but in the end that whole saga had fault on both dudes. Djoko acting up but roddick also winding people up too

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 1:13 pm

Roddick wasn't the most likeable guy granted, though given Djokovic's past behaviours I can see why he was a little un-impressed. I think if you have deep respect about the game it can manefest itself on court and maybe off it. Look at Nadal for example when he bumped Rosol. That was over Rosol's actions when he was receiving serve. Connors once chased McEnroe round the court because of his behaviour. Some players can get pushed too far.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 3:49 pm

With Monfils and Gasquet out the way, Nadal's path just became a tad easier. You still have Nishikori and Raonic in the draw, but by the time they come round, Nadal you would think would come through unscathed against Kukushkin and Vesely/Kyrgios will be full of confidence and conditions will certainly turn in his favour, unless the rain gods show up next week on CC with Raonic.

Nadal's chances have increased greatly today.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:25 pm

It was always about getting through the early rounds for Rafa. Once he beds in he generally goes far anyway regardless of draw.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:39 pm

Come on Bouchard!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kneel_before_nadal Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:54 pm

Nadal beat Rosol in 4 sets, despite Rosol repeatedly talking while Nadal was serving.
kneel_before_nadal
kneel_before_nadal

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 4:55 pm

Wrong thread methinks laverfan !

Back on topic, I now see Rafa as an even stronger favourite for the title than I did before the tourney got under way.

All things considered, he could not have wished for a better early round challenge than the one provided by Rosol today (even though I'm sure that was not exactly Nadal's first thought on seeing the draw .....)

Having turned things around so well after being pummelled in the opener, and then going down a break in set two, his confidence will now be sky-high. The objective was clearly to not just win, but in doing so to banish the demons of 2012. Mission accomplished.

Plus .....he was pushed into raising his game to a much higher level than he would normally need to do in week one. He is in true battle-hardened form and will take some stopping ......

But congrats also to Rosol for a very creditable second album  OK 

Meanwhile .......do please stick to the rules Rafa.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by kneel_before_nadal Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:03 pm

lags72 wrote:

Meanwhile Rosol repeatedly talked out loud while Nadal was serving (similar to 2012 when Rosol tapped his racquet on the ground when Nadal was serving).

But, not cheating if the umpire doesn't say anything.
kneel_before_nadal
kneel_before_nadal

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView2 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:09 pm

Rafa certainly is a big favorite, HE was plain right with it and I could see him as the only Rafa fan who said the truth direcly.

Rafa a favorite , for me No, coz he looks like a big favorite and running of with it, the only person who can stop him is Nole and I don't see how this Nole will get past this Murray at grass.

DirectView2

Back to top Go down

Post by kneel_before_nadal Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:14 pm

I don't see how Djokovic can win a slam final vs. Nadal. Its like man vs. mouse. They are polar opposites mentally in slam finals. Nadal will probably be praying for Djokovic to make the final. Nadal would be going for his 5th straight slam win over Djokovic, and a chance to take their slam h2h to 10-3.
kneel_before_nadal
kneel_before_nadal

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:19 pm

He is now the favourite. He always blooming is these days!

Murray is the only player with a reasonable chance of beating him but I don't think it's a match up that suits Andy, even on grass.

If Rafa wins Wimbledon, I may have to take a hiatus from watching tennis. It will have become too predictable. That's OK if you like the tennis of the guy winning but I don't like Nadal's tennis at all.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:24 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:He is now the favourite. He always blooming is these days!

Murray is the only player with a reasonable chance of beating him but I don't think it's a match up that suits Andy, even on grass.

It becomes mud the second week. Wink

HM Murdoch wrote:If Rafa wins Wimbledon, I may have to take a hiatus from watching tennis. It will have become too predictable. That's OK if you like the tennis of the guy winning but I don't like Nadal's tennis at all.

You need to have a tete-a-tete with KbN. He has just won R64, there are other matches to be played, correct?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:24 pm

Bouchard serving for the set. OK

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:27 pm

Bouchard takes too long to serve. The Umpire is reluctant to call time violation. Crying or Very sad

I guess there is no Time Violation rule at W.

Bouchard up a set!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:31 pm

kneel_before_nadal wrote:
lags72 wrote:

Meanwhile Rosol repeatedly talked out loud while Nadal was serving (similar to 2012 when Rosol tapped his racquet on the ground when Nadal was serving).

Rafa does have a good deal of form (over many years) for time-wasting, MTO's etc etc

I can only imagine Rosol resorted to talking out loud mainly to help pass the time. If I heard correctly, he was saying something like "how much longer are you going to take between points ?"

You know kbn ...... you ARE allowed to criticise your hero as well as genuflecting in his presence. We promise not to tell him  Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:38 pm

laverfan wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:
If Rafa wins Wimbledon, I may have to take a hiatus from watching tennis. It will have become too predictable. That's OK if you like the tennis of the guy winning but I don't like Nadal's tennis at all.

He has just won R64, there are other matches to be played, correct?
True, but for me a slam that Rafa wins is like a romantic encounter that fails to conclude as I would hope. It's not that I don't like the early rounds but too many unhappy endings rather spoil the overall experience! broken steam Wink

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:45 pm

Who knows HM Djokovic might just come to the party Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by kneel_before_nadal Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:51 pm

lags72 wrote:
kneel_before_nadal wrote:
lags72 wrote:

Rafa does have a good deal of form (over many years) for time-wasting, MTO's etc etc

I can only imagine Rosol resorted to talking out loud mainly to help pass the time. If I heard correctly, he was saying something like "how much longer are you going to take between points ?"

You know kbn ...... you ARE allowed to criticise your hero as well as genuflecting in his presence. We promise not to tell him  Wink

Just understand that when Nadal takes 25 seconds (his average time today) or 30 seconds or whatever, he is not breaking a rule.

The condition of the 20 second rule includes: "or the players have been ordered to play by the umpire"

If the umpire doesn't order the player to play faster, then no rule is being broken.
kneel_before_nadal
kneel_before_nadal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:54 pm

Eh? Headscratch

The rule states both from the ITF and ATP that players should not take longer than 20/25 seconds between points respectively.

So yes a rule is being broken.

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:57 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Who knows HM Djokovic might just come to the party Wink
Djokovic is the partygoer who is fun at the start of the night but ends up getting emotional and making things a bit uncomfortable for everyone at the end!  Ale Ale Ale Crying or Very sad vomit

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by kneel_before_nadal Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:58 pm

The ATP rule book says "or when the players have been ordered to play by the umpire". This means no rule has been broken if the umpire doesn't order him to play faster.

Last edited by kneel_before_nadal on Fri 27 Jun 2014, 5:21 am; edited 2 times in total
kneel_before_nadal
kneel_before_nadal

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 26 Jun 2014, 5:59 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Eh? Headscratch

The rule states both from the ITF and ATP that players should not take longer than 20/25 seconds between points respectively.

So yes a rule is being broken.

The person to blame then is the umpire for not enforcing it. It is akin to a player clearly handling the ball on the line but not giving the penalty - who gets the blame? The player or the ref? Always the ref for missing it in my opinion.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jun 2014, 6:02 pm

kneel_before_nadal wrote:Read the rule book. I did, and it says 20 seconds "or when the players have been ordered to play by the umpire". This means Nadal can take 25 seconds (or 200 seconds) and no rule has been broken if the umpire doesn't order him to play faster.

I did read it.

So you agree it says 20 seconds.

So on that basis how is no rule being broken?

You'll find that umpires order the players when at the net before play.

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Thu 26 Jun 2014, 6:15 pm

well. first two rounds passed, so he slowly becomes more and more dangerous.

lets see kukushkin

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 26 Jun 2014, 9:06 pm

kneel_before_nadal wrote:Read the rule book. I did, and it says 20 seconds "or when the players have been ordered to play by the umpire". This means Nadal can take 25 seconds (or 200 seconds) and no rule has been broken if the umpire doesn't order him to play faster.

The ITF rule book says that? What section? Section 29, which covers continuous play does not say that at all.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next