The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guardian: "Shamed by bigoted England rugby fans at All Blacks game"

+53
beshocked
Cardiff Dave
SecretFly
HammerofThunor
asoreleftshoulder
Slow and Sedate
Breadvan
offload
Cyril
Irish Londoner
chewed_mintie
thomh
Hound of Harrow
aucklandlaurie
Biltong
splenetic
Mad for Chelsea
galwegian101
Intotouch
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
mbernz
nth
johnpartle
TJ
markb
gelodge
wolfball
rainbow-warrior
bedfordwelsh
Notch
quinsforever
wayne
Submachine
No 7&1/2
Steffan
Taylorman
Monkeyan
gregortree
formerly known as Sam
Big
majesticimperialman
Bathman_in_London
No9
des
dummy_half
fa0019
nathan
hugehandoff
LondonTiger
brennomac
GunsGerms
Duty281
Rugby Fan
57 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Guardian: "Shamed by bigoted England rugby fans at All Blacks game" - Page 4 Empty Guardian: "Shamed by bigoted England rugby fans at All Blacks game"

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 11 Nov 2014, 2:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

I posted this thread about boorish NZ fans following England's summer tour, so it seems only fair that I should also link to these Guardian pieces:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/nov/11/shamed-by-bigoted-england-rugby-fans-at-all-blacks-game

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/nov/11/foul-mouths-boo-boys-twickenham-england-all-blacks

The first link is two letters: one complaining about homophobic abuse aimed at Nigel Owens, the other by a NZ supporter who didn't care for the atmosphere.

The second link is Kitson following up on the letters

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Guardian: "Shamed by bigoted England rugby fans at All Blacks game" - Page 4 Empty Re: Guardian: "Shamed by bigoted England rugby fans at All Blacks game"

Post by mckay1402 Thu 13 Nov 2014, 12:27 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Anyone else heard Mike Phillips attempting to put off the opposition's hooker throwing in a lineout? Chopsing random numbers at 90 miles an hour is very impressive.

I used to do that when I played hooker. great to know phillips has stolen my routine
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Guardian: "Shamed by bigoted England rugby fans at All Blacks game" - Page 4 Empty Re: Guardian: "Shamed by bigoted England rugby fans at All Blacks game"

Post by Irish Londoner Thu 13 Nov 2014, 12:55 pm

lostinwales wrote:I look at the title of this article and cant help thinking that out of 80K supporters (or whatever the final total) the chances of not finding a few complete merchant bankers is nil.

Given the stereotype of an England fan at Twickenham and the amount of corporate hospitality that goes on there, I'm pretty sure you'll find plenty of "merchant bankers" in both senses on an England matchday. Very Happy

Have a look at the Guardian and Telegraph forums on Owens and the class warriors and "banter merchants" are out full force.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 13 Nov 2014, 1:57 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:
lostinwales wrote:I look at the title of this article and cant help thinking that out of 80K supporters (or whatever the final total) the chances of not finding a few complete merchant bankers is nil.

Given the stereotype of an England fan at Twickenham and the amount of corporate hospitality that goes on there, I'm pretty sure you'll find plenty of "merchant bankers" in both senses on an England matchday. Very Happy

Have a look at the Guardian and Telegraph forums on Owens and the class warriors and "banter merchants" are out full force

laughing/ Sad  What a surprise. I'd look but then life is too short..

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 14 Nov 2014, 6:17 am

I really hope (but not sure how they can) that they do something about the abuse aimed at Owens it is as most have stated way way out of order.

Whilst I know you will never get rid of all small minded idiots but if you look at football they have made huge strides in getting rid of any form of racist/homophobic behaviour since their dark days on the 80s.

As for the Haka issue and the swing low being sung then long way both continue (though I have said for years England should really sing Jerusalem, even as Welshman I love the hymn).

I love watching the Haka and always have since a kid, if they stopped doing it then I think the game losses a bit of theatre but its a challenge so by singing then for me you are accepting the challenge.

I remember for few years after it was performed in Cardiff Wyn Evans (the Go Compare man) use to walk the length of the field holding Welsh flag high singing Bread of Heaven and it really got the crowd going.

If the ABs are upset at how teams react then do it behind closed doors as they did in Cardiff that time but I think that would be a shame.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 14 Nov 2014, 7:23 am

I like the song Swing Low Sweet Chariot, I like the fact that different nations fans bring different things to games, the only problem I have, is why do you Seasneg's only sing the chorus ? Sing the whole damn thing, or at least a verse, Swing Low is a beautiful song, but singing just the chorus over and over is just droning. it's the same at the MS when the Welsh fans just sing the chorus to Cwm Rhondda, ok there is a few fans who will sing the start, and the first verse, and then the majority will sing the chorus, but lets all learn at least the first verse and sing it all at the top of our voices.

Anyway, as for the Haka, I love it, well the Ka mate version, and I even took the time to learn it in English and learn what it means, but for me, the HOME nation SHOULD be given the right to respond to the Haka in their own way, and if that means singing the national anthems AFTER the Haka is performed, then that should be given as much respect as the Haka is afforded, what the All Blacks decide in when playing in New Zealand though is up to them, and if they want the Haka after the anthems then that should be respected as well, but if they are the visitors then they should have to do what their hosts want.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 14 Nov 2014, 9:42 am

What was all that about ?.. the occasion when the ABs had to do the Haka in the Millenium changing room.
Can't remember why ? anybody ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 14 Nov 2014, 10:00 am

Nige gets plentty of grief/banter/abuse whatever from the stands at PYS,CAP,Liberty & RP every week. Not saying its right but there's no big fuss in the media about it..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 14 Nov 2014, 10:23 am

Saw Owens interview and he seemed pretty down about the whole thing. Felt really sorry for him. Imagine getting out of bed knowing you have to go to work just to be abused every day.

Id roll over and call a sickie. He has balls to put up with and speak out against the haters. Well played Owens.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 14 Nov 2014, 10:27 am

clap

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 14 Nov 2014, 10:41 am

gregortree wrote:What was all that about ?.. the occasion when the ABs had to do the Haka in the Millenium changing room.
Can't remember why ? anybody ?

I think it's already been mentioned but in summary

1) The year before the NZRU agreed to have the Haka go before the Welsh anthem due to it being 100 years since their first game in Wales (that was supposed to be when the anthems started)

2) The WRU wanted the same to happen the next year. The NZRU said not. The WRU said yes

3) All Blacks did the haka in private before the game (but it was videotaped and showed on screen)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 14 Nov 2014, 11:52 am

I would also like to add, although it might have no bearing on things, but on the day when we sang the anthems AFTER the Haka, we almost beat them, it was almost as if the impetus was taken away from the All Blacks, I remember Tom Shanklin scoring a try right at the start and the band was still walking off, so there might be something in this Haka giving the All Blacks a slight edge.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4