The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan v Canelo - Great matchmaking by team Khan...

+24
Scottrf
huw
SugarRayBray
AZZJ44
jimdig
Nico the gman
3fingers
ONETWOFOREVER
ShahenshahG
titaniumjaw
DuransHorse
Coxy001
kingraf
Atila
Lance
Jermaine2015
AdamT
catchweight
Mr Bounce
Steffan
hazharrison
Hammersmith harrier
BoxingFan88
TRUSSMAN66
28 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Khan v Canelo - Great matchmaking by team Khan... - Page 2 Empty Khan v Canelo - Great matchmaking by team Khan...

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 06 Feb 2016, 5:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Easy to say that Canelo is too big.....But he isn't that great at using his strength and size...Not a great pressure fighter.

This fight is logistically no different than any other Khan fight for me....If he avoids getting caught he wins...

Not sure Canelo's work rate and accuracy will be good enough to wear Khan down.....He's better than Rhodes who went 11 ??

Have no doubts that Khan will trouble Canelo with his excellent speed and jab...He also has a ready made blue print to follow...

Khan has to fight the fight of his life but smaller fighters like Conn and Leonard did against Louis and Hagler....Whilst Khan is very talented he isn't in there league BUT Canelo isn't in Hagler or Louis league either...

Khan does have the talent and Canelo's work rate suggests Khan can take a good lead into the middle rounds...

Khan has the ability and he obviously fancies it.....But will he brain fade ??

He loses and he moves back to welter anyway....

Speed and a top jab should never be written off..Sure Golovkin would kill him..But he isn't fighting GGG is he !!

Intriguing fight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Khan v Canelo - Great matchmaking by team Khan... - Page 2 Empty Re: Khan v Canelo - Great matchmaking by team Khan...

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 6:11 pm

AdamT wrote:Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine Khan standing up to Canelo's shots. His only chance I to be elusive for 12. Is he good and disciplined enough.

I was one of the 20 percent on here that picked BJS to beat Lee...Mainly because I think good boxers give you less chance to land the shots that count...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Khan v Canelo - Great matchmaking by team Khan... - Page 2 Empty Re: Khan v Canelo - Great matchmaking by team Khan...

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 6:16 pm

I just can't see a way for Khan to win. There is nothing to show me, he is ready to beat Canelo. Also he hasn't been the most active. I credit him for taking the fight, but I think he will be sparked.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 07 Feb 2016, 6:30 pm

Come on man. Khan made Danny Garcia look like Tommy Hearns!

Look what Canelo did to little Josesito Lopez. Railroaded him. it's a bad match.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 6:37 pm

Canelo goes into the fight knowing Khan will not knock him out. Khan will go in knowing he can be sparked anytime. If Canelo is patient he will find the shot.

It isn't impossible for Khan. He just has to box the perfect fight. I don't think he can do that. Still, big credit for him taking it.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 6:39 pm

If you say so..Haz.

I'm not debating you...I don't think you're rational.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 07 Feb 2016, 6:40 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If you say so..Haz.

I'm not debating you...I don't think you're rational.

LOL!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 07 Feb 2016, 6:42 pm

AdamT wrote:Canelo goes into the fight knowing Khan will not knock him out. Khan will go in knowing he can be sparked anytime. If Canelo is patient he will find the shot.

It isn't impossible for Khan. He just has to box the perfect fight. I don't think he can do that. Still, big credit for him taking it.

He won't be able to better Cotto's performance - and even that couldn't get it done (he boxed a really good fight). Alvarez was just too big.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 6:47 pm

Cotto boxed well.

I don't care that much for Canelo vs May again. GGG should be next.

Only one winner in that fight, but Canelo might make it interesting.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 6:49 pm

Thanks for your opinion ..Haz

It's been noted.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 6:49 pm

AdamT wrote:Cotto boxed well.

Hopefully Canelo won't fight GGG...

Let the Russian numpty fight a 168 pounder

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 07 Feb 2016, 7:09 pm

I think it is good match making on khans behalf. He is fighting the biggest name in boxing in the biggest event of 2016. He also only has one game plan, hit and move. He and his team know that come round 12 (if Khan makes it that far) Canelo will still be standing in the opposite corner looking to knock him out.
As far as gameplan goes, in some regards the plan for this fight could not be simpler. Khans faster, quicker hands quicker feet, quicker feet by quite a margin too.
So the question is can Khan keep his chin safe for 12 rounds against Canelo? Hes got the tools for the job, it certainly not beyond the realms of my imagination. Although I still see him getting knocked out.
At least he'll be handsomely paid.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 7:17 pm

Exactly....No one has outboxed Amir and this guy won't..Forget Garcia..

You might as well say Terry Norris made Simon Brown look like Tommy Hearns..

Saunders could have made Lee look like Hearns..

Dumb comment..

Fighters have been nailed since the beginning of time..

Khan has speed..and skill advantages....My guess is he can make it interesting. .

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 07 Feb 2016, 7:43 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
AdamT wrote:Cotto boxed well.

Hopefully Canelo won't fight GGG...

Let the Russian numpty fight a 168 pounder

Perish the thought the lineal, WBC and Ring middleweight champion may fight the guy everyone feels is the best middleweight in the world! So biased it's laughable.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 07 Feb 2016, 7:47 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Exactly....No one has outboxed Amir and this guy won't..Forget Garcia..

You might as well say Terry Norris made Simon Brown look like Tommy Hearns..

Saunders could have made Lee look like Hearns..

Dumb comment..

Fighters have been nailed since the beginning of time..

Khan has speed..and skill advantages....My guess is he can make it interesting. .

Garcia looked like Ernie Shavers against Khan and he's no great puncher. Khan might rattle off a few frenetic combinations but he has absolutely no chance here. Algieri gave Khan fits and he's a powder puff puncher!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 7:56 pm

jimdig wrote:I think it is good match making on khans behalf. He is fighting the biggest name in boxing in the biggest event of 2016. He also only has one game plan, hit and move. He and his team know that come round 12 (if Khan makes it that far) Canelo will still be standing in the opposite corner looking to knock him out.
As far as gameplan goes, in some regards the plan for this fight could not be simpler. Khans faster, quicker hands quicker feet, quicker feet by quite a margin too.
So the question is can Khan keep his chin safe for 12 rounds against Canelo? Hes got the tools for the job, it certainly not beyond the realms of my imagination. Although I still see him getting knocked out.
At least he'll be handsomely paid.

I remember reading KO magazine when it puked all over Hagler v Leonard.....Spinks v Holmes and Douglas v Tyson...

I got all those wrong too ...in fairness though the losers in those were great....Canelo isn't !!......Forgetting what Khan brings and focusing on the size is basically what happened then..

The size may play...Could end up with egg on my face..

I think Khan will brain fade but I expect him to be well in front when it happens...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 9:31 pm

I don't buy the nobody has outboxed Khan stuff. If be was that fine a boxer he wouldn't of been put away by Garcia and Prescott.

khan has speed and good flurries. But he ain't no Sugar Ray Leonard. If he beats Canelo I may change my mind. Anyway I don't want to Khan anymore. I used to dislike him, because I though he was mouthing off and avoiding challenges. Well fair play to him, but I doubt be will do much in this fight.

Last edited by AdamT on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 9:43 pm

Barkley caught Hearns as did Kinchen..

Did Tommy lack class..??

S**t happens....

Prescott was a learning fight years ago..Hardly relevant..

Brook shouldn't have struggled with Carson...That fight is irrelevant too..Brook has moved on !!..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 07 Feb 2016, 9:45 pm

The difference being Brook put the Carson fight to bed in the rematch something Khan has yet to do, you say imply that Khan has moved on but has he, his matchmaking suggests an avoidance of big punchers.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 9:56 pm

Hearns wouldn't have looked awful vs McCloskey or Algieri. Bad comparison Truss.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 10:30 pm

He shut out Mcloskey. ...All you seem to do is focus on the negative.

Starling shouldn't have lost to Bumphus but he still creamed the much better Breland..Honey and Brown..

Khan beat Algieri...He probably took him lightly..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 10:40 pm

I might underrate Khan. You severely overrate him. Maybe I really do know nothing about boxing.

But other than great speed, I see nothing special in Khan. I'm really sorry if that offends his fans. I'm not being a c..t. I genuinely believe he is nothing more than a good fighter, with great speed and a dodgy chin.

Anyway I won't bash him now. He showed courage taking the fight. I do admire him. Good luck to him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 10:58 pm

You think I over rate Khan....and that's okay..

I see a boxer who if he utilises his gifts would be a very tough opponent...

I think Mayweather thought it too..

Never write off a guy like that..

As for Algieri might as well hold Howard against Leonard..

The fight before he beat Hagler..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AZZJ44 Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:03 pm

The Canelo v Lopez fight popped into my head when this was made too. Khan's better than Josesito, although they'd probably have a good fight together. Lopez was a pumped up light welterweight and was smashed to pieces by Canelo. As I said though, Khan's better but with that chin it could be over as soon as Canelo feels like ending it.

I said I thought Khan could surprise some people in this fight by lasting longer than he should however I'm not so sure on reflection. I hope he does but, realistically, he'd need to fight the perfect fight just to make it 12. Im off seeing it now.

Think I may have underestimated Canelo. He's a good fighter that I'd have given a chance against GGG if they fought this year so Khan can't really compete with a fighter of that ilk but mainly size. Canelo will be too big and hit too hard. He'll likely carry Khan 3 or 4 rounds so they both get something out of it.

After this Khan can collect his 10 million guaranteed to fight Brook.

AZZJ44

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:08 pm

Khan is good, no doubt. I just think he is out of his depth here. He is a great athlete.

If he listens to his trainer and doesn't stay too close to Canelo, he has a slight chance. Quick flurry in and out. 12 rounds us a long time.

I have new found respect for Khan a d I'm sincere when saying I hope he wins. I used to be a fan years ago. I am willing to be again. His ethnic background never bothered me in the slightest. I just thought he was all talk in recent years. He has proved me wrong by taking the fight.

Win or lose,I respect him a lot.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:42 am

Khan seems to think his speed advantage will be enough to be victorious and looks to Mayweather's Canelo win as a blueprint. The big difference is Khan's ring IQ is about 50 and Mayweather's is 200. Khan just reproduces drills in the ring with no savvy or adaptability. I think he will get ground down onto a fine powder in this fight.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 08 Feb 2016, 8:05 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Barkley caught Hearns as did Kinchen..

Did Tommy lack class..??

S**t happens....

Prescott was a learning fight years ago..Hardly relevant..

Brook shouldn't have struggled with Carson...That fight is irrelevant too..Brook has moved on !!..

Barkley - a big hitter - landed the mother of all Hail Mary's against Hearns after being all but crippled. Garcia - who is no TNT puncher - ragged Khan around like a rag doll.

Throwing around arbitrary 80s references is pointless without decent comparisons.

Why would he take Algieri lightly when - in his mind and his mind alone - it was an audition for Floyd? And here's the thing: Algieri changed his style against Khan - steaming in and letting his hands go. A confirmed non-puncher he had Khan hurt and on the run (Khan meanwhile couldn't put a dent in a guy Pacquiao played ping pong with).

The likelihood is that Canelo does, too. He'll demolish Khan at some point in a bout that should highlight what a sham these 'catch weights' are.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 08 Feb 2016, 8:25 am

The Leonard vs Hagler comparison is completely bogus.

Firstly, both Hagler and Leonard weighed c158 on the day of the fight. Here, Canelo is likely to scale anywhere from 170 upwards on fight night (Amir could be a full stone lighter despite his protestations to the contrary).

Secondly, Leonard and Hagler were both great fighters. Hagler had started to slip after his titanic bout with Mugabi while SRL managed to drag together one last miraculous performance.

Canelo is in his prime. Khan is probably past his.

Leonard was a champion at 147 and also showed destructive form at 154. Khan has only patchy form at 147 and nothing beyond. And while Canelo hasn't yet fought a true middleweight, he's beaten some top 154 pounders.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 08 Feb 2016, 10:12 am

Khan needs to utilise footwork to stay away.

Throwing a jab or 1-2 combinations and moving away is the only way he can avoid a big punch.

It will take the fight of his life but I can see Khan doing it, although would obviously have Canelo as the favourite.

Only problem with this game plan is that I have never seen Khan show the footwork he will need to keep Canelo away and confused.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 08 Feb 2016, 10:15 am

Fair play Huw. You're very optimistic. I honestly think he is getting butchered. He doesn't have the I.Q or the chin. I think Alveraz will wobbleKhan with a solid jab. If Khan had a good chin, he would have a chance. One thing Khan does have is courage. He doesn't quit.

I wish he had of fought Brook. After this fight, he might not want to fight again.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:50 pm

If Khan survives, it's because he spent 12 rounds going backwards. How can that translate to a decision win against the promoters favourite?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:55 pm

hazharrison wrote:The Leonard vs Hagler comparison is completely bogus.

Firstly, both Hagler and Leonard weighed c158 on the day of the fight. Here, Canelo is likely to scale anywhere from 170 upwards on fight night (Amir could be a full stone lighter despite his protestations to the contrary).

Secondly, Leonard and Hagler were both great fighters. Hagler had started to slip after his titanic bout with Mugabi while SRL managed to drag together one last miraculous performance.

Leonard was a champion at 147 and also showed destructive form at 154. Khan has only patchy form at 147 and nothing beyond. And while Canelo hasn't yet fought a true middleweight, he's beaten some top 154 pounders.
Absolutely 100% spot on analysis Haz, some on here seem to have conveniently forgotten about the size difference in both fighters.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:07 pm

Scottrf wrote:If Khan survives, it's because he spent 12 rounds going backwards. How can that translate to a decision win against the promoters favourite?

For me his is the key point. Floyd won, because he stood in front of Canelo in huge parts of the fight. He even backed him up as well. Khan will not be able to stay in the pocket with Canelo. Unless his ring intelligence and defence has improved ten fold.

I do believe this fight and a fight with Brook (if he loses) are retirement fights. If he had of fought Brook first, he wouldn't get the huge payday vs Canelo. If he somehow pulls of the upset, he will either rematch Canelo for another huge fight, or maybe that fight with Floyd will finally be available for him. If he loses, he can fight Brook at Wembley.

It is actually a smart move, as long as he doesn't get his head taken off.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:17 pm

Scottrf wrote:If Khan survives, it's because he spent 12 rounds going backwards. How can that translate to a decision win against the promoters favourite?

He gives him a silent beating?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:07 pm

Nico the gman wrote:

Absolutely 100% spot on analysis Haz, some on here seem to have conveniently forgotten about the size difference in both fighters.

Wasn't Mayweather a superfeatherweight...

Not forgotten anything thank you..Khan like Leonard will have to use his speed and skill..

Like Conn against Louis...

30 pounds that was..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:14 pm

You have a lot of faith in Khan Truss. You must see something I don't.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2015 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:19 pm

AdamT wrote:You have a lot of faith in Khan Truss. You must see something I don't.

He loves Khan, and nobody knows why?

One fight in one year, and Truss says "lay off the kid" whilst every other fighter should "p**s or get off the pot" ...lol

Its actually comical.

shenglong2015

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:23 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Nico the gman wrote:

Not forgotten anything thank you..Khan like Leonard will have to use his speed and skill..

30 pounds that was..

Leonard and Conn are ATGs. Great fighters can accomplish great feats.

And Mayweather was a welter who forced a light middle to drain down to 152.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:33 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Khan isn't the same fighter he was under roach he looked horrible last time out

Khan also has one of the worst chins

Khan will beat a certain type of fighter

Canelo isn't that fighter though he walks him down

Canelo is also very accurate and doesn't waste anything he only needs to land one

Khan also isn't good at rolling punches like cotto or Floyd

I'm so sure of this I'm not even buying it

Forget what Khan did last time out....Algieri isn't the same style as Canelo. ..

Khan has to fight a great fight....I'm picking Canelo late..

But speed and a decent jab can be a nightmare..

Khan has to be disciplined....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:35 pm

Khan is rarely disciplined. But I do agree about speed and jab. I think he will do good for a few rounds, then boom!!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:38 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Nico the gman wrote:

30 pounds that was..
Not talking about you in particular, I'm talking about the forum in general where Khans hand speed at a lower weight keeps getting mentioned.
If it was you I was singling out I'd put your name on the post no problem.

The fighters you are naming Conn, Leonard, Mayweather are all time greats, Khan is nowhere near that class, he hasn't even proven to be the best in the 2 divisions he has fought in.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:40 pm

Truss are you winding us up?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:42 pm

No one has outboxed Khan and Canelo won't. ..

He's got to avoid the big one and needs to wrong foot Canelo with his hand speed a la Taylor v Chavez..

Yes Khan is lighter but Canelo is no Chavez..

Fancy Khan to get a lead in a good fight before losing late..

Just my opinion and I'm not changing it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:47 pm

Nico the gman wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Nico the gman wrote:

30 pounds that was..
Not talking about you in particular, I'm talking about the forum in general where Khans hand speed at a lower weight keeps getting mentioned.
If it was you I was singling out I'd put your name on the post no problem.

The fighters you are naming Conn, Leonard, Mayweather are all time greats, Khan is nowhere near that class, he hasn't even proven to be the best in the 2 divisions he has fought in.

I respect your opinion and you may be right...You always put it across well..

I don't think Canelo uses his size as well as he might..

If it was Mike McCallum..Khan was facing he gets murdered..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No one has outboxed Khan and Canelo won't. ..

He's got to avoid the big one and needs to wrong foot Canelo with his hand speed a la Taylor v Chavez..

You don't need to outbox him. Just stand there and wait for your chance and hit him hard and watch his gameplan fall apart. He'll either lose concentration and then fight fire with fire or else he'll be KO'd. Pretty much like this his whole career.

Devon was a good win but apart from that when did Khan last look good (I don't include Collazo who was a shell)? Garcia, Diaz, Algieri were all bad for different reasons. Even Peterson (although on drugs) was a sign of Khan's poor ring IQ. Off the top of my head he won the first round 10-6 or 10-7 in that fight and still lost on points.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:54 pm

Pedro147 wrote:

You don't need to outbox him. Just stand there and wait for your chance and hit him hard and watch his gameplan fall apart. He'll either lose concentration and then fight fire with fire or else he'll be KO'd. Pretty much like this his whole career.

Devon was a good win but apart from that when did Khan last look good (I don't include Collazo who was a shell)? Garcia, Diaz, Algieri were all bad for different reasons. Even Peterson (although on drugs) was a sign of Khan's poor ring IQ. Off the top of my head he won the first round 10-6 or 10-7 in that fight and still lost on points.

Fantastic post. Well put.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:03 pm

If that's how you see it panning out Truss, then that's fair enough, its all about opinion.

Not a Khan hater, just think he's a good fighter but nothing special.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:08 pm

AdamT wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:

You think that drivel is fantastic..??

Apart from when he was a novice..Garcia is the only one to stop him..

Just pathetic..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:23 pm

Why don't you man up and back Khan. You always backed against Floyd too.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:25 pm

Khan has been stopped once in seven and a half years..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
AdamT wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:

You think that drivel is fantastic..??

Apart from when he was a novice..Garcia is the only one to stop him..

Just pathetic..

He's had one good fight since joining Hunter, that was Alexander.

Lost to Prescott, sacked trainer. Lost to Garcia, sacked trainer.

Pre-Alexander he had some good wins and performances over Judah, Paulie and Kotelnik. That was 5 years ago. Maidana was a good win in fairness but he nearly lost that. If Canelo hits him like that it'll be lights out.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next