The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+25
BlueCoverman
skiddy
Davie
McLaren
super_realist
GunsGerms
Mad for Chelsea
kwinigolfer
puligny
navyblueshorts
Nay
LadyPutt
hend085
Bob_the_Job
westisbest
beninho
SmithersJones
MontysMerkin
JAS
golfermartin
sirbenson
pedro
raycastleunited
I'm never wrong
Roller_Coaster
29 posters

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:42 am

First topic message reminder :

Super

For starters I live in a one bedroom flat. But I think you know that it should not take the people of a nation putting refugees up in their house before the government is required to do anything about it.

For example the government could easily rent 50 premier inns and put the refugees there until they can be given homes.

"Of course it matters. They have a far greater responsibility than the UK does"

So you are saying that because those countries closer to Syria have neglected their responsibilities the UK has the right to do nothing? You are saying that one country doing nothing is sufficient for another country to justify doing nothing?

bob

WTF was that?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by GunsGerms Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:24 am

Don't see the issue with adults playing computer games. Don't like them myself but each to their own.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:29 am

I probably spend more time over a year on computer games than playing golf especially in winter. Has to be a better use of time in the long crappy weather nights than watching TV.

Super, why do you object so strongly to adults playing computer games?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:29 am

Yep nothing wrong with that.
Each to their own as guns says.

Terrible bombings in Belgium.
Shocking stuff.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:35 am

Seems rather infantile Mac, or rather  getting excited about a "hack" in a game is. Each to his own though, but I can't see the attraction.

Last edited by super_realist on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:36 am

But why does it seem "infantile"?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:44 am

westisbest wrote:Yep nothing wrong with that.
Each to their own as guns says.

Terrible bombings in Belgium.
Shocking stuff.

Brussels in in lock down. Horrible altogether.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:00 pm

I play online golf games .. of course nowhere close to the real thing but actually I've found it can actually teach you quite good course management!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:27 pm

I play wii golf with the kids. Probably detrimental to my golf game as the ideal swing doesn't match a real golf swing, it doesn't properly recognise swing path although it does recognise open / closed face.

I usually win due to better course management, so I can see your point Davie how this would help a beginner with real golf.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:41 pm

Davie do you play xbox, ps4 or pc?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:00 pm

PC only - I don't play any other games so a games console would be a waste of time. wgt.com for anyone who is interested .. it's actually pretty good with some great courses but the game play is quite variable at different times of the day

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:24 pm

I still play Football Manager. And I still enjoy it. Been playing it since i was about 16. though did have a few years gap a while ago.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:36 pm

benhino

You brave man. I would love to start playing football manager again but know that it would be all consuming and probably ruin my life. Thankfully my laptop is a bit on the slow side so the temptation is reduced.

I play ps4. Only golf game I have played for years is the EA one. The latest Rory McIlroy one is pretty crappy. No Augusta anymore and hardly any real courses. The gameplay is ok but I wouldn't recommend it.

Davie - what sort of spec do you need to play that game?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:50 pm

Shouldn't need too high a spec to play it though at slow times it plays a bit smoother if you close everything else down - or the power meter gets very jerky

There are some good courses on there though and a variety of weather conditions and tee placements. St Andrew and RSG are the Brit courses but it's primarily an American game so there is Bethpage Black, Olympic, Oakmont, Kiawah and last year they added Chambers Bay which is excellent - oh and they've just added the front 9 at Pebble - back nine is expected later this year

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:28 pm

Occasional gaming is ok, with mates or kids. But adults spending the better of the day/night gaming seems quite infantile.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:14 pm

By at least a couple of peoples standards I am pretty infantile. raspberry
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:32 pm

I have a ps4 but go through spells of days wereni lose hours upon hours to not playing for a few months.

Back in the day i clocked up almost a month worth of online play for COD in a year. With a 4 year year old u dont have the luxury of that spare time

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:33 pm

I do possess a PS3 but the only things I really played on it were the EA golf game when it was still Tiger Woods, Singstar and Rockband. It usually only ever came out when I had people round although I used to practice on Pebble Beach before my annual trips there. Think the last time it was switched on was when my daughter was back home for a visit last year, she loves singstar & rockband, I suspect my neighbours hate it :-/

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:32 am

Sky Sports last night had a programme featuring people playing the FIFA game.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:39 am

pedro wrote:Occasional gaming is ok, with mates or kids. But adults spending the better of the day/night gaming seems quite infantile.

I disagree. I have friends that work in the gaming industry that would spend time a lot of time gaming. They are otherwise very normal people. If it is something you are really interested in then why not.

The reason in my opinion that it gaming can be seen as infantile is because as adult a lot of us lose our creativity and imagination. That's not necessarily a good thing though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:21 am

Gaming and gamers is a bit of a sub-culture that you either get or don't get, but it's a bit sweeping to call it infantile (IMHO).

It seems odd to me because I was brought up on traditional leisure activities that generally involved being outdoors and being physical, but a good family friend is a professional gamer and makes a good living at it.  To reconcile it in my head, I think of it as chess that also requires great reflexes, but even then the attraction is lost on me -  but I can suspend that.  I even know people who spend hours watching "professionals" playing on line via TWITCH which is odd squared to me, but each to their own.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:24 am

Infantile is maybe a bit harsh, adolescent is maybe a better description.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:35 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf

I found a picture of Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:00 pm

A great look.

In the the Stevie-W interview for bbc sport he mentions that he let tiger get down to one ball left in the bag coming up 18 in the 3rd round of the 2000 US open. But surely Tiger could have borrowed a ball as long as it was the same type had he lost his last and would not have been Dq'ed?

I am pretty sure the rules don't stipulate where you get the ball from as long as it is the same model of ball.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:52 pm

where does it say it has to be the same model of ball?
when you lose a pinnacle and reload with an ultra you think you should be DQ?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:54 pm

Hend, pro's have to use the same make and model of ball from start to finish. I think it stems from the advent of Balata balls which work better on short holes and swapping them for harder balls which are better for distance on longer holes.

Doesn't matter for Amateurs, in fact, you don't even have to declare what your ball is.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:23 pm

Not completely accurate - depending on the tour/governing body. pros may have to use the same ball, but not all the time.  For example the one ball rule is NOT in effect for the PGA:

"The PGA of America doesn't have a one-ball rule," Mickelson told reporters at the Presidents Cup, referring to the organization that runs the PGA Championship and Ryder Cup when it is played in the United States. "You can play 18 different balls, brands, whatever, on 18 different holes during the PGA Championship and the Ryder Cup.

You may remember last year FIGJAM fell foul of this because the Presidents cup does have a one ball rule.
And the USGA allows for changing the make or model between, and in certain circumstances, during a hole.  

Changing golf balls during a hole or a stipulated round

Q. May a player change golf balls during the play of a hole or a stipulated round? When the player is permitted to substitute another golf ball may he change to a ball of a different brand or type?

A. Rules 15-1 and 15-2 explain that the player must complete play of the hole with the ball with which he began the hole unless he is proceeding under a Rule that permits him to substitute a ball. The player may change balls between the play of two holes as well.

Rules 26-1 (Water Hazard Rule), 27-1 (Ball Lost or Out of Bounds) and 28 (Ball Unplayable) are examples of Rules that permit the player to substitute another ball. Rule 5-3 permits a player to substitute another ball during the play of a hole when his original ball has become unfit for play during the play of that hole. Other Rules (e.g. Rule 18, Rule 24, and Rule 25-1) permit the player to substitute another ball only if the original ball is not immediately recoverable.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:45 pm

Piccadilly line tube drivers on strike again tomorrow. Same old story, they always pick their strikes to coincie with bank holidays and give themselves extra holidays.

This strike has nothing to do with workers rights or safety, it's just pure greed. Can't wait until they bring in driverless trains like on the DLR.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:52 pm

Bob

The one make/model rule probably isn't in the RandA rules book but will be a local rule in pro events.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:36 pm

Happy birthday Jas

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:29 am

LL Cool Nay wrote:Happy birthday Jas

Cheers and well spotted LL :-)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:25 am

You'll be turning out for the seniors soon JAS :-)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:37 am

Davie wrote:You'll be turning out for the seniors soon JAS :-)

Aye 2 years and counting. Our seniors play more competitive golf than any other section of the club, shame it's mostly during the week though.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:55 pm

Adam Johnson got 6 years. He'll be able to yawn with his arse when the boys have finished with him...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:17 pm

Not sure he can have any complaints. He groomed a child for sex and then had sex with them.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:32 pm

I have limited sympathy for Johnson. It's quite clear he knew what he was doing was wrong, and that he used his star status in the girl's eyes to coerce her into having sex with him. He then caused her further pain by denying it all, leading to his supporters abusing her online, etc. He's shown no real remorse throughout the process either. Quite a nasty bit of work really...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:I have limited sympathy for Johnson. It's quite clear he knew what he was doing was wrong, and that he used his star status in the girl's eyes to coerce her into having sex with him. He then caused her further pain by denying it all, leading to his supporters abusing her online, etc. He's shown no real remorse throughout the process either. Quite a nasty bit of work really...
While I agree pretty much with the first two sentences, above, what does the rest have to do with anything? He's allowed trial by jury, why the Hell is he going to not do that? What does him "causing her further pain" have to do with it? Stuff all. Amazing as it might seem, maybe he doesn't think he did anything wrong. Who'da thunk it? Also, when did it become a requirement to show public remorse? What a ridiculous expectation. Your perceptions of how he is/behaves has nothing to do with anything and the idea that you and presumably loads of others expect (expect? Who do you think you are?) to see some public expression of remorse is laughable.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:23 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:I have limited sympathy for Johnson. It's quite clear he knew what he was doing was wrong, and that he used his star status in the girl's eyes to coerce her into having sex with him. He then caused her further pain by denying it all, leading to his supporters abusing her online, etc. He's shown no real remorse throughout the process either. Quite a nasty bit of work really...
While I agree pretty much with the first two sentences, above, what does the rest have to do with anything? He's allowed trial by jury, why the Hell is he going to not do that? What does him "causing her further pain" have to do with it? Stuff all. Amazing as it might seem, maybe he doesn't think he did anything wrong. Who'da thunk it? Also, when did it become a requirement to show public remorse? What a ridiculous expectation. Your perceptions of how he is/behaves has nothing to do with anything and the idea that you and presumably loads of others expect (expect? Who do you think you are?) to see some public expression of remorse is laughable.

I agree with completely with Chelsea. Remorse is a good indicator whether someone might reoffend or not or how aware an individual is of their crime and that what they did was wrong. Remorse is often referenced when judges read out their verdicts so it isn't unreasonable to conclude that it plays a part in their sentencing.

Johnson doesn't seem to give a damn so good riddance in my opinion.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:28 pm

Cruyff dead! No words!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:30 pm

Sad that Johnson is getting nearly as many headlines as Johan Cruyff - among Top 3 Post-War European footballers in my book, and sounds like he was a pretty solid citizen as well.

EDIT: Snap puligny!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:37 pm

Yes, very sad to hear of the death of Johan Cruyff, was an absolute genius as a footballer. RIP

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:04 pm

Cruyff being dead isn't really a surprise, 68 years old and a chronic smoker. Did well to make it that far.

Hasn't there been a lot of very high profile deaths lately?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:15 pm

super_realist wrote:Cruyff being dead isn't really a surprise, 68 years old and a chronic smoker. Did well to make it that far.

Hasn't there been a lot of very high profile deaths lately?

Yeah was just thinking that. Seems like there have been or maybe there always are?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:22 pm

Probably just better reported these days, and probably that the generation that really became the first "celebrities" are within the clog popping age expectation now.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:24 pm

Navy

I don't think anyone was questioning his right to a trial by jury or to plead not guilty. But if he knows that he committed a crime then he does have the choice to reduce the suffering of the victim by acknowledging what he did and minimizing the victims ordeal in the trial.

To plead not guilty and to then be found guilty shows he could have reduced the impact on his victim and his sentence reflects this. It has nothing to do with a public show of remorse but showing remorse and compassion for your victim.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:28 pm

It's our age group (and yes I know we vary on here from 20s to 50s and in some cases more) - but the high profile deaths of recent months have all come from our formative years one way or another. Footballers, actors and musicians.

There were probably just as many high profile deaths (say) 20 years ago - but the people dying then would largely have meant less to us.

Agree with Guns and Chelsea on the AJ case though - really not sure where NBS is coming from on that one unless he's just spoiling for an argument the way Mac does

The key thing in the whole case, to me, was his guilty plea to "grooming" - that says he KNEW what he was doing. I've had sympathy in the past for "celebrities" who have been caught out by jailbait (but she told me she was 19 your honour!) .. doesn't apply in this case

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:53 pm

As is so often the case my favourite daily has the answer on this Dead celebs
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:00 pm

Has anyone bought clubs off Ebay before,I want to buy a 2 iron for windy days to try out but don't want to spend a lot incase I can't actually hit one.

Did you get what you expected?

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:08 pm

Bought plenty LL. Always careful to buy from a UK Seller with good feedback with genuine photo's and description. Preferably with marks out of ten for condition of head, grip, shaft etc.
Actually considering something similar LL, maybe a Mizuno Fli Hi or similar.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:10 pm

You guys been inspired by Rory's 2 iron he used this week?

Ps.  Bought loads of clubs on ebay.  Just follow supers advice and it can't go wrong. (I will add that you should check whether its left or right handed. I have made that error before)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:18 pm

Struggling with my 3 iron off the deck Mac, Although all my range work is paying off nicely.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next