Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Empty Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Post by wayne on Tue 15 Nov 2016, 10:06 am

First topic message reminder :

Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Wales_10Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Japan110
WALES v JAPAN
19 November 2016
KO: 14:30
Principality Stadium, Cardiff

Referee: Marius van der Westhuizen (South Africa)
Assistant referees: John Lacey (Ireland), Craig Maxwell-Keys (England)
Television match official: Eric Gauzins (France)
Assessor: Bryce Lawrence (New Zealand)

Wales played 9 Won 8 Lost 1

Wales: Liam Williams; Halfpenny J Davies, Roberts, Cuthbert; Anscombe, Lloyd Williams; Smith, Baldwin, Lee, Hill, Alun Wyn Jones, Lydiate, Warburton (capt), King.

Replacements: Dacey, Gill, Andrews, Ball, Moriarty, G Davies, S Davies, Giles.

Japan: Matsushima, Yamada, Lafaele, Tatekawa, Fukuoka, Tamura, Tanaka; Nakatani, Horie, Hatakeyama, Kajikawa, Anise, Ilaua, Nunomaki, Mafi

Replacements: Hino, Yamamoto, Ito, Helu, Matsuhashi, Mimura, Uchida, Lotoahea

This is a potential banana skin game for us, IMO we cannot treat Japan with contempt and select a completely different team from last weekend, we should try to bed in a couple of alternatives to our first choices in crucial positions.

wayne

Posts : 3166
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down


Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 11:56 am

rumpelstiltskindoh wrote:
uncle_nigel wrote:
rumpelstiltskindoh wrote:so incredibly slow moving the ball from the ruck

That'll be Lloyd Williams then?

amazingly - no. gareth davies apparently is being coached to play like Lloyd

Davies is an attack-minded scrum half, so he must have been under instruction to kick every time. Now if the coaches hadn't realised by that point that Japan looked dangerous running it back, then they really are not up to the job.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 23666
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 40
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Post by munkian on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 11:59 am

Anscombe and Brymoor Jnr are not test quality players.


I think Hill did Ok- steady lineout, some good carries - all that was asked of him.
munkian
munkian

Posts : 8456
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 38
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Post by uncle_nigel on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 1:05 pm

Hill was alright but I think he needed to carry and hit rucks harder. I wouldn't dismiss Anscombe just yet, as behind Biggar we don't even have a capped fly-half who can do the basics very well - this was his first start at 10 for Wales remember. If I were coach I would be willing to persist but at the same time I wouldn't keep on throwing him into the test arena in the hope that he will soon come good (as was the case with Priestland and Cuthbert).

uncle_nigel

Posts : 262
Join date : 2016-11-19

Back to top Go down

Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Post by Shifty on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 6:53 pm

uncle_nigel wrote:Hill was alright but I think he needed to carry and hit rucks harder. I wouldn't dismiss Anscombe just yet, as behind Biggar we don't even have a capped fly-half who can do the basics very well - this was his first start at 10 for Wales remember. If I were coach I would be willing to persist but at the same time I wouldn't keep on throwing him into the test arena in the hope that he will soon come good (as was the case with Priestland and Cuthbert).

I would, the guy is a liability, my only image of him is missing tackles!
He just bounces off people, it's like playing with 14 men in defense, if not worse because he plugs a gap and lets his opponent through the line, causing havoc.
Shifty
Shifty

Posts : 7363
Join date : 2011-04-26
Age : 40
Location : Kenfig Hill, Bridgend

Back to top Go down

Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Post by Cardiff Dave on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 8:23 pm

Shifty wrote:
uncle_nigel wrote:Hill was alright but I think he needed to carry and hit rucks harder. I wouldn't dismiss Anscombe just yet, as behind Biggar we don't even have a capped fly-half who can do the basics very well - this was his first start at 10 for Wales remember. If I were coach I would be willing to persist but at the same time I wouldn't keep on throwing him into the test arena in the hope that he will soon come good (as was the case with Priestland and Cuthbert).

I would, the guy is a liability, my only image of him is missing tackles!  
He just bounces off people, it's like playing with 14 men in defense, if not worse because he plugs a gap and lets his opponent through the line, causing havoc.  

Fly halfs don't like to tackle. Messes with their hair.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6596
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Post by SecretFly on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 8:30 pm

They also don't like tackling coz they're the ones that usually have most brains. If their brains get befuddled.......... game over Wink

SecretFly

Posts : 30882
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Post by Cardiff Dave on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 8:35 pm

mid_gen wrote:Japan are in danger of becoming a very good side.

They are so technically switched on, smart players. As someone said, NZ like. If they keep developing their player base they are going to be a serious force.

Were blydi marvelous in the WC just gone.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6596
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Post by Cardiff Dave on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 8:54 pm

SecretFly wrote:They also don't like tackling coz they're the ones that usually have most brains.  If their brains get befuddled.......... game over Wink

Like Gavin Henson then.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6596
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Post by SecretFly on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 8:58 pm

Well he was an genetic experiment in trying out a flyhalf without a brain Whistle

Needless to say, it didn't catch on....................

SecretFly

Posts : 30882
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Post by Cardiff Dave on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 9:40 pm

SecretFly wrote:Well he was an genetic experiment in trying out a flyhalf without a brain Whistle

Needless to say, it didn't catch on....................

He's a legend, mun.
Next time you're in Llanelli, pick up a local and throw him to the floor. They love it.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6596
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Post by SecretFly on Mon 21 Nov 2016, 9:50 pm

Ah, when I get back to reality, I didn't mind Gavin at all. A little loopy when inebriated it appears but didn't seem all that bad. A wild child. Not everyone can be a dutiful wallflower.

SecretFly

Posts : 30882
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Post by No9 on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 12:04 pm

There's a difference in the size of the Japanese players over the years Whistle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38023857


Two cracking tries.. Remember watching them live at the old National Stadium (aka Arms Park).

No9

Posts : 1524
Join date : 2013-09-20
Location : South Wales

Back to top Go down

Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Post by uncle_nigel on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:02 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Shifty wrote:
uncle_nigel wrote:Hill was alright but I think he needed to carry and hit rucks harder. I wouldn't dismiss Anscombe just yet, as behind Biggar we don't even have a capped fly-half who can do the basics very well - this was his first start at 10 for Wales remember. If I were coach I would be willing to persist but at the same time I wouldn't keep on throwing him into the test arena in the hope that he will soon come good (as was the case with Priestland and Cuthbert).

I would, the guy is a liability, my only image of him is missing tackles!  
He just bounces off people, it's like playing with 14 men in defense, if not worse because he plugs a gap and lets his opponent through the line, causing havoc.  

Fly halfs don't like to tackle. Messes with their hair.

Cardiff Dai, that's true!

Shifty, I think you're seriously overegging it there. Where were all these missed tackles? My concern is this and it's quite simple; if Biggar gets a serious injury and cannot play then Wales do not have an able deputy to step up. There are a No. of reasons for this and one of them being the selectors favoring Priestland as the second choice when it had been obvious for a while that his international days were over. That is part of the reason why Anscombe has rarely featured at 10 for Wales, was it not his first start at fly-half against Japan? If the selectors think Sam Davies is the one to take over then why have they not given him more game time? Certain players need further development. Howley, McBryde and Edwards cannot give it to them through shear incompetence - that is a concern for me.

uncle_nigel

Posts : 262
Join date : 2016-11-19

Back to top Go down

Wales v Japan 19/11/16 - Page 5 Empty Re: Wales v Japan 19/11/16

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum