The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

+30
carpet baboon
formerly known as Sam
LondonTiger
Tattie Scones RRN
funnyExiledScot
SirBurger
Pot Hale
Brendan
NeilyBroon
TJ
Tramptastic
Mad for Chelsea
Anglobraveheart
demosthenes
IanBru
Oakdene
George Carlin
bsando
Eejit
Welly
Hazel Sapling
RugbyFan100
jimbopip
tigertattie
EST
EWT Spoons
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
BigGee
34 posters

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 7 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

Post by BigGee Tue 23 Oct 2018, 9:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Something is going on this year

Both Glasgow and Edinburgh are playing quite well!

Is it a dream, am I imagining it, am I going to wake up in a cold sweat and find out that we are really cr*p again?

Someone please reassure me!!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 7 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 13 Dec 2018, 12:08 pm

With us not getting a single point and conceding as Gee said somewhere between 69 and 71 points, I'd say that was pretty bad.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 7 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

Post by BigGee Thu 13 Dec 2018, 12:14 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:With us not getting a single point and conceding as Gee said somewhere between 69 and 71 points, I'd say that was pretty bad.

I would tend to agree with that.

RDW, have you ever consider a career as a spin doctor? I hear the Tory party have some vacancies, you could talk some of their recent performances into 'not to bad' category!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 13 Dec 2018, 12:19 pm

Ah I didn't get that the round number was 0!

Yeah that's pretty bad.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 13 Dec 2018, 1:16 pm

few points in reply to other posts on here

1 - Big Gee, please speak to Jimbo for tuition on the use of the quote function
2 - I honestly had an IT helpdesk (based in Portugal) ask me to email them a screenshot of the error message I was getting when I couldn't log into my emails
3 - Horne forces the pass too much as he doesnt have the physicallity to get out of trouble.
4 - Matt Scott (12) is our answer to 12 for the next few years
5 - Even though we got humped by the Ozzies, banning mentioning it is just daft!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 13 Dec 2018, 3:02 pm

I like the idea that Scotland rugby supporters are in some way sensitive to heavy losses, as though we haven't all supported the team through long periods of underachievement and antipodean prison-shamings!
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 13 Dec 2018, 5:21 pm

IanBru wrote:I like the idea that Scotland rugby supporters are in some way sensitive to antipodean prison-shamings!

There's nothing worse then being shamed down under. Especially if it's at Her Majesty's Pleasure Shocked

Last edited by jimbopip on Thu 13 Dec 2018, 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 13 Dec 2018, 5:24 pm

Also, it seems that Beauden Barrett is looking to take a sabbatical in the NH nest season. chin

I'll be first to say it; he really wants to team up with DR and sees playing at The Home Of The Once And Future Champions as the missing piece his CV.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 14 Dec 2018, 11:53 am

The second coming is upon us.

The Glasgow core is now made of Stafford McDowall.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 14 Dec 2018, 12:41 pm

8-10 weeks out for Fraser Brown with the knee injury sustained last weekend.

That is a tough one for Glasgow and Scotland, eased slightly by the impressive form of George Turner of late, who seems to be putting the brain farts behind him and developing into a top class hooker.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 14 Dec 2018, 3:09 pm

I'm hearing that Ollie Kebble has signed on until 2020 Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Let's celebrate with 5 points tomorrow and the a Yuletide stuffing of the Metrosexual Festival Luvvies.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 14 Dec 2018, 3:17 pm

http://glasgowwarriors.org/news/18/12/14/oli-kebble-extends-glasgow-warriors-contract

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 14 Dec 2018, 3:23 pm

Effectively just for one more year after this one, just about up to the point when he becomes SQ.

All of the other contracts announced so far have also been one year, not sure what to make of it, but they probably all have their reasons.

Keeble I would expect to sign a longer deal to take him over the line and get him internationally qualified.

McDowell would probably expect a decent pay rise after a year if he carries on his current trajectory.

Tommy S, the year after the WC and at 32 years old, may just want to assess his options, including the possibility of retiring.

It may be as well that there are far to many players renewing their contracts this year and they want to re-balance that. Some of these contracts may have extension options attached but not been spoken about.

However you look at it, keeping Big Ollie on board is a very good bit of business, he has been awesome this year.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 14 Dec 2018, 3:34 pm

If he becomes SQ at the end of his 1 year extension that's probably sensible. He's either going to become an international and therefore likely to commit to another deal so he doesn't disappear as soon as he becomes qualified, or through injury or form he may not get capped and may be in the interest of both parties to move on.

It is a good time to be negotiating a new deal as we don't know at this stage what situation he'll be in as a player.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 14 Dec 2018, 3:35 pm

Great bit of business, the bloke is a beast and feels like the missing piece in the jigsaw from last year.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 15 Dec 2018, 10:07 pm

So here may not be the place but looks like the winners of Edinburgh's group plays the winners of Munster's group. If Edinburgh play Munster at home how confident would you be of Edinburgh winning. Before it was an easy answer but right now I'm not sure who would win but think Edinburgh would have to be favourites as they are much more dogged.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 15 Dec 2018, 10:13 pm

Why would the winners of 2 groups play each other? Do you mean the runner up of Munster's group?

Still a long way to go for Edinburgh - if we win tomorrow we can maybe talk about going for the group win!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 15 Dec 2018, 11:34 pm

4th and 5th best group winners play each other. Munster look like scraping 19/20 points topping the group. I think Edinburgh will beat Newcastle but lose to Toulon leaving them on about 20. The other three winners look like being around the 23/24 mark.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 16 Dec 2018, 11:57 am

A couple of Welsh regions showing a bit of interest in Niko apparently. His wife is Welsh it seems and that might give him some incentive to move down to the valleys.

I imagine it will be the contract on offer that would be the deciding factor for him though. He has played his best rugby at Scotstoun and his last move away did not go well. He will be looking for some security though, a two year contract at least you would imagine at his age, so you wonder what Glasgow will put on the table, if anything.

It is highly unlikely, with all the wingers Fiji have available, that he will be going to the world cup and he is not someone who is going to cost silly money to re-sign. Bearing in mind though that the age profile of some of our wingers is against them, he certainly has a decent couple of years left in him, he seems to be playing better than ever at the moment.

I think it would be well worth Glasgow getting another contract on the table!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 16 Dec 2018, 2:20 pm

After the disaster of the Bath and Exeter moves, Mata should want to hang around. Scarlets don't need another scrum half or wing and they are the safest choice playing style wise.

Fiji may want him as a back-up scrum half who can play in the back three as well.

Also worth mentioning that a couple of younger Scots, Jake Kerr and Alex Craig, have come off the bench in the Champions Cup. With Brown and maybe Turner getting injured, could Kerr become an option for us?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 16 Dec 2018, 2:57 pm

Anyone watch Racing / Leicester?  Classic Russell.  Knocked on a long kick, missed a penalty to touch, gave away a silly penalty, Put in a long pass in his 22 that went to ground.  also made several great breaks, several great offloads, made 2 or 3 tries, made a short 22 dropout to himself.  At least he is consistent!

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 16 Dec 2018, 3:00 pm

First reports from Dave Rennie about Turner suggest it may not be as bad as we first feared and he may be back before to long.

He reckons the existing cover, Stewart, Bryce and Robbie Smith from the academy should be adequate.

Jake Kerr is coming along nicely at Tigers and has signed a two year contract now, but he is nowhere near international ready yet, we would need a lot of injuries for him to come into play. Still, definitely one for the future.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 16 Dec 2018, 4:16 pm

Not obviously rugby related but....

Sunday evening and Young Pipetto declares, "That's the three weeks that the hospital said I couldn't do any exercise up. (sic) So! I'm doing PE this week? Right?"

Well, like the good father I am I gave in quickly. No point in fighting a losing battle.

I sent his footie coach a text saying that IF he got through PE on Thursday and Friday then I would bring him to training on Saturday and he could "dip in and out" as he felt able. Pippetto dipping in and out of the training, not the coach dipping.... Oh stop it you scoundrels. Erm Also, if he coped with training then maybe he could be included in the squad for Sunday's match: you know, last 10 minutes or so.

I thought that was a very sensible line to take. Smile So I showed the text to Mrs Pip. picard

"Why are you trying to murder my baby???" Was the gist of what she said. Except it took her hours to say it. Spread over three days. picard

So, today he played for the whole of the first half. Very Happy And scored two goals. Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Did she alologise and say, "Why Jimbo, you were right all along."???

Not quite oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 16 Dec 2018, 4:31 pm

She'll come around eventually Jim, maybe in 10 years or so!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sun 16 Dec 2018, 4:32 pm

That's good news Jimbo. As for the non apology, surely a man of your age should know better than to expect one!

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 16 Dec 2018, 4:46 pm

As good news as that is, what's he doing playing football btw??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 16 Dec 2018, 4:49 pm

We're doing some great stuff followed by some utterly brainless stuff - great VDW break and he passes it straight to.a Newcastle player despite looking right at him. We're trying the wonder pass every time and it's not coming off.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 16 Dec 2018, 4:52 pm

Utter horse crap from the ref - Mata was all over that ruck uncontested

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Sun 16 Dec 2018, 4:55 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Utter horse crap from the ref - Mata was all over that ruck uncontested

Wrong thread! warning

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 16 Dec 2018, 4:57 pm

I may have been drinking.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 16 Dec 2018, 5:10 pm

Excellent result for Edinburgh. The Scottish sides are booming in the European Champions comp - great to see.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 17 Dec 2018, 8:09 am

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18/12/16/scott-johnson-leave-scottish-rugby

Scott Johnson confirmed as leaving.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 17 Dec 2018, 8:25 am

History may well be kinder in its analysis of the Scott Johnson years than those who lived through them.

Hard to deny that he leaves Scottish rugby in a better place than when he arrived. No-one wants to give him any credit for that though!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 17 Dec 2018, 8:46 am

Need a volunteer for an 1872 thread please!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 17 Dec 2018, 8:55 am

BigGee wrote:History may well be kinder in its analysis of the Scott Johnson years than those who lived through them.

Hard to deny that he leaves Scottish rugby in a better place than when he arrived. No-one wants to give him any credit for that though!

I would agree BigGee, he was atrocious as head coach but there is no doubt that the academies, Jnr rugby and the recruitment of coaches and players have all seen a drastic improvement. I'm not sure what level of involvement he has had on the Super 6 concept, but only time will tell if that is a positive thing.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 17 Dec 2018, 9:00 am

I think the problem with SJ is no one really knows what he did! What is for sure though is that he has been involved in all the major decisions at the SRU in recent times, which will include Super 6 (and the incident with Finn Russell's dad?)

He definitely became far less public a figure after he stepped down as interim coach, probably deliberately as he wasn't overly popular at that point. There were also the stories of him telling John Barclay and Kelly Brown that they'd never play for Scotland again while he was there - we will never know if that is true or not but luckily in Barclay's case he has manged to get back into the fold.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 17 Dec 2018, 9:21 am

I reckon Sean Lineen would make a pretty good replacement as i think he's done a good job heading up scouting and did a decent stint coaching. Failing that, any external candidates?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 17 Dec 2018, 9:29 am

Hard to know who might replace SJ. It might be the sort of job that would interest Toonie in 10 years time, but not now.

An outsider might not be a bad idea, seeing as how the SRU has a tendency to close ranks to often, so some fresh thinking and ideas would possibly be no bad thing. I need not necessarily even be someone from a rugby background, a good sports administrator may be the right person.

SJ kind of invented the job and it was built around his strengths, there may not be another person that fits it in the same way that he did and so the job itself might need to be adapted a bit.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Mon 17 Dec 2018, 11:30 am

Good morning Edinburgh fans. This is my annual statement that I despise you and everything you stand for. Your stadium is a joke, your team are flakier than a particularly tasty croissant, and the last good thing to come out of your city was the rejection letter I received from your apparently salubrious university.

Even your gin is only popular because it's pumped full of sugar, and enjoyed only with prosecco by ladies of a certain age.

(the last point is particularly heart-felt. When I drink gin I want it to hurt.)

In short, do one.

IanBru
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 17 Dec 2018, 11:34 am

BigGee wrote:Hard to know who might replace SJ. It might be the sort of job that would interest Toonie in 10 years time, but not now.

An outsider might not be a bad idea, seeing as how the SRU has a tendency to close ranks to often, so some fresh thinking and ideas would possibly be no bad thing. I need not necessarily even be someone from a rugby background, a good sports administrator may be the right person.

SJ kind of invented the job and it was built around his strengths, there may not be another person that fits it in the same way that he did and so the job itself might need to be adapted a bit.

I'd actually think about giving it to Sean Lineen. He's the only person I think would fit into the role in some capacity.

Director of Rugby is a bloomin odd job as you need to be one part rugby and one part business. There's plenty coaches out there like Craig Chalmers for exmaple who have the rugby side covered but arent experienced in the business/directorial side. Likewise there will be business men/women out there that don't have the rugby side nailed down.

Jon Petrie would be another option but he's just penned his contract elsewhere. It's that or you start looking outside the sport for someone like Anne Budge - are footy directors skilsl transferrable to the rugby arena?

Or Maybe old Andy Robinson would be a shout? By all means everyone spoke highly of him other than being a poor selector and as Toonie is in chagre of that, we'd be ok?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Mon 17 Dec 2018, 11:40 am

tigertattie wrote:
BigGee wrote:Hard to know who might replace SJ. It might be the sort of job that would interest Toonie in 10 years time, but not now.

I'd actually think about giving it to Sean Lineen. He's the only person I think would fit into the role in some capacity.

Director of Rugby is a bloomin odd job as you need to be one part rugby and one part business. There's plenty coaches out there like Craig Chalmers for exmaple who have the rugby side covered but arent experienced in the business/directorial side. Likewise there will be business men/women out there that don't have the rugby side nailed down.

Jon Petrie would be another option but he's just penned his contract elsewhere. It's that or you start looking outside the sport for someone like Anne Budge - are footy directors skilsl transferrable to the rugby arena?

Or Maybe old Andy Robinson would be a shout? By all means everyone spoke highly of him other than being a poor selector and as Toonie is in chagre of that, we'd be ok?

Part business, part rugby. At the risk of offending some on here, someone like Al Kellock would be a good fit - in a few years time. But not just yet.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 17 Dec 2018, 12:00 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Need a volunteer for an 1872 thread please!

Done. I felt it only fair that as the game is played on the hallowed turf of Scottish Rugby HQ, that an Edinburgh Fan wrote this one.

Some weegie can do the next thread when it's thier turn. I'm sure it will be as equally balanced as mine Hug

Last edited by tigertattie on Mon 17 Dec 2018, 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 17 Dec 2018, 12:01 pm

IanBru wrote:Good morning Edinburgh fans. This is my annual statement that I despise you and everything you stand for. Your stadium is a joke, your team are flakier than a particularly tasty croissant, and the last good thing to come out of your city was the rejection letter I received from your apparently salubrious university.

Even your gin is only popular because it's pumped full of sugar, and enjoyed only with prosecco by ladies of a certain age.

(the last point is particularly heart-felt. When I drink gin I want it to hurt.)

In short, do one.

IanBru

boxing

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 17 Dec 2018, 12:55 pm

A little early xmas present for warriors fans, a signing to be announced every day this week!

Bring them on Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 7 3602195817 Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 7 3602195817 Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 7 3602195817 Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 7 3602195817

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 17 Dec 2018, 3:05 pm

First up Sam Johnson, two more years up till 2021

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 17 Dec 2018, 3:24 pm

Sam Johnson has signed a new two-year contract with Glasgow Warriors.

The Australian-born centre moved to Glasgow from Super Rugby outfit the Queensland Reds ahead of the 2015/16 season and has gone on to play 42 times for the Warriors.

Johnson will remain at Scotstoun until at least 2021 and his signing follows the news that Tommy Seymour, Stafford McDowall and Oli Kebble all also put pen to paper last week.

The 25-year-old’s varied skill set, on-pitch communication and physicality in both attack and defence has seen him become a regular in Dave Rennie’s starting XV.

His performances during the 2017/18 season saw him recognised by his peers at the end of year awards dinner, voted the Players’ Player of the Season.

Having spent three years in Glasgow, Johnson qualifies for Scotland through residency and was named in a National Squad by Gregor Townsend at the first available opportunity.

He was unlucky to pick up an injury just days after his call-up meaning he missed the 2018 Autumn Internationals.

Johnson is the first of seven re-signings to come out of Scotstoun this week as the club announced they will be announcing a new contract extension every day.

Speaking to glasgowwarriors.org Sam Johnson said: “It was an easy decision for me to make. I’ve fallen in love with the club and the city in my three years here and I’m looking forward to the future.

“I had no idea how long I’d be here for when I first joined but it’s testament to the club that Glasgow now feels like home and I’m excited to be running out at Scotstoun for the next couple of seasons at least.”

Glasgow Warriors Head Coach Dave Rennie said: “I’ve been really impressed with Sam in my time with the club. He’s made some real shifts and his work ethic and determination to improve really epitomises what a good man he is.

“On the pitch he’s excellent both sides of the ball, is a really good communicator and has been at the heart of some of our best performances this last couple of years. We’re delighted that he’s sticking around.”

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 17 Dec 2018, 4:00 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18/12/16/scott-johnson-leave-scottish-rugby

Scott Johnson confirmed as leaving.

But Sam Johnson confirmed as staying. Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 17 Dec 2018, 5:28 pm

IanBru wrote:Good morning Edinburgh fans. This is my annual statement that I despise you and everything you stand for. Your stadium is a joke, your team are flakier than a particularly tasty croissant, and the last good thing to come out of your city was the rejection letter I received from your apparently salubrious university.

In short, do one.

IanBru
clap You're shaping up nicely as a bitter, middle aged member of the legal profession.

But I'm sure that you have your faults too.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 18 Dec 2018, 11:33 am

Might not be the best place for this, but an interesting article on the pro14 and international fixtures.  Putting it here as it's mostly Scottish related, and I fear if I put it into one of the main pro14 threads it will just end up with folk shouting at each other or claiming one nation is biased against the other etc.

Sandy Smith at ScotRugbyBlog wrote:The autumn internationals have just finished and the 6 Nations is only a few short weeks away. The Pro14 though has pressed on regardless of the wounds that international rugby call-ups have inflicted upon it. By the end of the season, six rounds of the PRO14 will have been influenced by International rugby.

Bluntly that means that nearly one in every three rounds (28%) of a competition that chief executive Martin Anayi boasts of having “270 internationals” within its ranks and that is at the “forefront of the game’s growth” are being detrimentally affected by another ‘competition’ – and possibly even more than one, as teams rested any fit players they did have ahead of the recent European games.

That’s quite a number and there is no doubt that it has an effect – but is it detrimental?

In “Week minus 1” (the one outside the window) of the autumn internationals, Edinburgh turned up in Zebre minus 10 of their Scottish Internationals. Zebre had all of theirs and took the capital side to the cleaners 34-13. Is that a result you would have expected under normal circumstances, even given Edinburgh’s Italian phobia?

In Week 1 we were treated to a top of conference A clash between Ospreys and Glasgow. Glasgow were minus 13 internationals and Ospreys 7.  Is that the game fans of these two sides wanted to see or perhaps, more importantly, was that what Premier Sports have paid so handsomely to show on their shiny TV channel?

In the same week Leinster, shorn of at least 8 international players travelled to Port Elizabeth to face a Southern Kings side that were completely unaffected by the AI’s. They still won but only by 4 points whilst conceding 4 tries. That gave Kings a two-point boost that lifted them up a place in conference B. A likely margin against arguably the best side in Europe? I think not. It might not be crucial at the end of the season for Leinster but Dragons who dropped to the bottom of the conference as a result might feel differently.

In the last weekend of the AI’s what looked on paper like a reserve team match between Leinster and Ospreys took place at the RDS which Leinster won somewhat comfortably 52-7.  Again a home win would have been most people’s prediction even had both sides been at full strength, but the last time these two sides met Ospreys won 32-18. Yes it was in Wales but still that’s some turnaround.

In the same week Edinburgh were forced into a ridiculous Sunday night game in Newport minus 9 internationals.  The reason for which is, to quote Martin Anayi, “to ensure supporters don’t have to choose between club and country as the autumn internationals draw to a close.” Thanks Martin, I appreciate it but I’m not sure the players welcomed the long trip back from Wales in the wee hours of Monday before they headed for Cork to play Munster on the following Friday.

Clear evidence of the effect and if it were across the board then you could argue that’s ok – but it’s not.  The South African sides are untouched and the Italians and Scots with only two sides providing the bulk of their international sides are affected more than the Welsh and Irish who have 4 clubs each to share the load.

The maths is simple.

In the PRO14 12 clubs provide players for 4 countries – Scotland, Ireland, Italy and Wales. An international squad varies but this Autumn, Scotland had 38 players in theirs. 8 of those play for clubs outwith the Pro14 so using that as a baseline (30 x 4 divided by 12) those 12 clubs provide 10 international players per squad each on average.

In the countries that have only two clubs that becomes an average of 15 players per club.

If you want to play for England you have to play in England and that means their 12 clubs only provide on average 3 players per club. In addition, the Gallagher Premiership has two less affected fixtures over the international windows when the Premiership Cup, largely used as a development tool, takes over.

English clubs play 22 games in a regular season, so combined with their league structure and the breaks for the cup their league is only affected 18% of the time by international call-ups. That’s a significantly smaller number than the 28% hit that the PRO14 takes.

So, whose fault is it and what can be done to address it?

The Autumn Internationals and the 6 Nations were here long before the PRO14 in its various guises. So on one hand you could argue that it’s the expansion of that organisation that has created this scenario. As all four home unions now climbing on the ‘outside the window’ bandwagon to swell their coffers, they have undoubtedly exacerbated the issue.

There are some cracking games in the Pro14 during these periods. The Kings v Scarlets game where they shared 75 points and Scarlets secured a last gasp victory is one example. It also gives young players a chance to make an impact.  To pick just one, Stafford McDowall has been outstanding for Glasgow in the absence of  Huw Jones, Alex Dunbar and Pete Horne on various weekends. On the whole though I can’t help feeling that it merely distorts the competition and gives those that would criticise it ammunition with which to do so.

Ironically the solution may be in further expansion: a 16 team single conference where you play everyone once either at home or away and a further away/home game against the teams from your own country.  Assuming the extra teams come from South Africa the Scottish teams could play their additional games against the Italian sides. Everyone would play 18 games in the regular season. This would free up 3 weekends.

That alone would take the 28% crossover to 16% and if the season was expanded by one more week into June then we are looking at 11%. In a congested fixture list and taking player welfare into account that might be the best we can hope for. Questions of fairness may remain but I would maintain that would be “more fair” than the status quo.

I’m an Edinburgh supporter and I also support Scotland. I don’t want to see the Scotland squad named and my first thought being, ‘well that’s Edinburgh stuffed this week’. I could even be, and I’m sure such a thing exists, an Edinburgh fan who isn’t Scottish. Imagine how that person felt as Edinburgh left Parma with their tails between their legs?

I understand that the unions pay the piper and therefore call the tune but it would be good if they and the PRO14 could get together and decide on a tune that suited them, the players and the supporters. It would benefit everyone.

https://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2018/12/is-the-pro14s-credibility-in-international-windows-becoming-an-issue/

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 18 Dec 2018, 12:08 pm

Yeah good luck sorting that out lol

It's the unions that need to address this as the Pro 14 can't infulence the international windows that world rugby say clubs (and leagues) need to adhere to.

The problem is that the Pro 14 has a window to play all its games in the season. In this day and age of player welfare you can't extend the season in order to allow the international players to play in each round of the competion (giving allowances for squad rotation)

At the end of the day, the only way you can resolve this is to reduce the number of games and to do this you need to remove the number of teams. Who would you cut? The league is trying to grow so cutting teams will be counterproductive. As you've posted this in our forum, it may be a bit more safe to say (but who knows), but could the answer be to only allow each union to have a max of three teams in the league? This would mean getting rid of Connacht and The Dragons for example. Given Connacht topped the league one year, this wouldnt be fair and again it would restrict the player base available to ireland.

I think fans/the media jsut need to accept that some Pro 14 games will be devoid of international players from time to time. Some would argue this is a good thing as it lets you see the fringe players and gives them exposure.

Either way, when the World cup comes round next year, it's going to be a crammed old calandar Sad
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 21 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14 ... 21  Next