The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

+30
carpet baboon
formerly known as Sam
LondonTiger
Tattie Scones RRN
funnyExiledScot
SirBurger
Pot Hale
Brendan
NeilyBroon
TJ
Tramptastic
Mad for Chelsea
Anglobraveheart
demosthenes
IanBru
Oakdene
George Carlin
bsando
Eejit
Welly
Hazel Sapling
RugbyFan100
jimbopip
tigertattie
EST
EWT Spoons
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
BigGee
34 posters

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 8 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

Post by BigGee Tue 23 Oct 2018, 9:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Something is going on this year

Both Glasgow and Edinburgh are playing quite well!

Is it a dream, am I imagining it, am I going to wake up in a cold sweat and find out that we are really cr*p again?

Someone please reassure me!!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 8 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

Post by Eejit Tue 18 Dec 2018, 12:12 pm

Probably a good shout posting it here given the argumentative goblins that stink out some of the other threads.

I see where the author is coming from, but I think most people understand that pro rugby is a squad game and that a good squad will beat a good team over the course of a season. The author is an Edinburgh fan, and in years gone by he wouldn't have had to worry about when the Scotland squad was released because Edinburgh were that rank rotten that even club-level Glasgow players were stepping up to Scotland and Glasgow suffered in the league because of it - victims of their own success. Now, if you staged a Glasgow "first XV" vs a "second XV" behind closed doors I'm genuinely not sure who would win and that is a testament to excellent coaching and development. The Scarlets game a few weeks ago was an excellent spectacle that wasn't hindered in the slightest by having the Scotland players away.

Any further changes to the Pro14 will sadly be dependent on what happens to Super Touch which is as cut-throat a business model as I've ever seen. The South African Rugby Union will surely be under real pressure to devote far more resources to their Pro14 franchises to prevent them getting spanked every week but with teams in both northern and southern hemisphere competitions, they are sort of enjoying the best of both worlds and perhaps it is showing with the Springbok's resurgence into genuine contenders at the world cup.

As an aside, perhaps some fan bias here but I think the top sides in the Pro14 are similar or better than their counterparts anywhere else and that Leinster in particular are the best club side in the world by a considerable distance.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 8 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 18 Dec 2018, 12:53 pm

Totally get your point Eejit, but I guess just to counter that, I think this season is probably the first time Glasgow have been able to cope with losing players during international windows. It's great they have built that up, and I really hope this is the norm for them going forward, but it hasn't always been possible.

It is a squad game, but if you look at Edinburgh during the AIs we had a number of injuries to key players, plus the call ups. We were coping with the injuries, and we would have coped with the call ups, but together it was just a perfect mix.

I'm not sure what the solution is as there probably isn't an easy fix, without possibly extending the season and reducing the number of games that take place during int. windows.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Dec 2018, 12:57 pm

One things for sure, having a 4th international really messed up the clubs this year. Glasgow coped but with Edinburgh's injuries and Scotland callups we ended up losing to feckin Zebre. If it wasn't for the 4th international we probably would have had a BP win as we would have had the full team out.

It is crazy that our international players last played for their clubs in the Heineken Cup in October before the recent round of HK games!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 18 Dec 2018, 1:00 pm

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure that if you put a Glasgow first XV out against thier second XV, the firsts would win by a confortable margin

The Scarletts game was a bit of an oddity in that A: They also had a few key players missing and B: The Glasgow guys really went hammer and tong at the game due to the red card early doors.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 18 Dec 2018, 1:50 pm

tigertattie wrote:Hmmm. I'm pretty sure that if you put a Glasgow first XV out against thier second XV, the firsts would win by a confortable margin

The Scarletts game was a bit of an oddity in that A: They also had a few key players missing and B: The Glasgow guys really went hammer and tong at the game due to the red card early doors.

I don't think even Rennie knows who is First XV is just now. If everyone was fit you'd say the only nailed on starters are

1 Kebble
2 Brown
3 Fagerson
5 Gray
7 Gibbens

10 Hastings
11 DTH
14 Seymour
15 Hogg

Compare that to Edinburgh I can pretty much name the entire 1st XV!

1 Schoeman
2 McInally
3 Nel
4 Toolis
5 Gilchrist
6 Barclay/Bradbury (given that Barclay hasn't played yet)
7 Watson
8 Mata

9 Pyrgos
10 VDW/Hickey (whoever is on form)
11 VDM
12 Scott
13 Bennett
14 Graham
15 Kinghorn

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 18 Dec 2018, 3:15 pm

George Horne becomes the latest of the festive signings for Glsgow, two more years for him as well. Glasgow really looking like locking down the spine of their team with their young stars going forward. I quite like seeing it done this way before xmas as well, a good bit of PR after the thin gruel we got on the signing front last year.

In other signing news, the Glasgow and Edinburgh old boy Duncy Weir, penned a further 2 year deal with Worcester. He has actually done very well down there and good luck to him for having the guts to put himself in the frame. A lesson to all players struggling a bit in Scotland that going and challenging yourself somewhere else might improve your game and your prospects.

There will likely be a few players moving on from the two Scottish Pro teamsd this year and they should take note of what Duncy has achieved.

He has fallen down the pecking order a bit but will remain a handy back up for FR and AH should he ever be required. James Lang is also doing well playing FH for Quins and is currently starting for them, getting picked ahead of Marcus Smith, in that position. He may well come back into Scotland contention for the 6N and WC as well, we still have not nailed down our 12 spot!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 18 Dec 2018, 4:00 pm

BigGee wrote:George Horne becomes the latest of the festive signings for Glsgow, two more years for him as well. Glasgow really looking like locking down the spine of their team with their young stars going forward. I quite like seeing it done this way before xmas as well, a good bit of PR after the thin gruel we got on the signing front last year.

In other signing news, the Glasgow and Edinburgh old boy Duncy Weir, penned a further 2 year deal with Worcester. He has actually done very well down there and good luck to him for having the guts to put himself in the frame. A lesson to all players struggling a bit in Scotland that going and challenging yourself somewhere else might improve your game and your prospects.

There will likely be a few players moving on from the two Scottish Pro teamsd this year and they should take note of what Duncy has achieved.

He has fallen down the pecking order a bit but will remain a handy back up for FR and AH should he ever be required. James Lang is also doing well playing FH for Quins and is currently starting for them, getting picked ahead of Marcus Smith, in that position. He may well come back into Scotland contention for the 6N and WC as well, we still have not nailed down our 12 spot!

My money is on Sam Johnson as it goes.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 18 Dec 2018, 5:56 pm

Eejit, if SJ had played in the Ai's, and showed up well, then I would agree with you 100%. Toonie obviously rates him. However, he now only has the 6N's to acclimatize himself to international rugby before the World Cup. Time may be against him. This is one of the reasons why I don't buy into the "play your best XV and go into the tournament off the back of a morale boosting6 Nations". Thre will be players who need to play to get an idea of what international rugby is all about.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 18 Dec 2018, 6:18 pm

If Sam Johnson is the best available then he should play. It’ll be down to the coaches to decide.

In their news, Hosè has been sacked. Bit of an ego maniac to be fair
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 18 Dec 2018, 7:48 pm

jimbopip wrote:Eejit, if SJ had played in the Ai's, and showed up well, then I would agree with you 100%. Toonie obviously rates him. However, he now only has the 6N's to acclimatize himself to international rugby before the World Cup. Time may be against him. This is one of the reasons why I don't buy into the "play your best XV and go into the tournament off the back of a morale boosting6 Nations". Thre will be players who need to play to get an idea of what international rugby is all about.

A fair point, but my point was just that I reckon this will be a big big year for Johnson and by the end of the world cup he'll be the starting 12 we've been dreaming about in the absence of the perma-crocked Duncan Taylor. Fingers Crossed

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 18 Dec 2018, 7:59 pm

Tend to agree about Johnson, if he can get a run of games prior to the 6N, he could well be in the mix

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 18 Dec 2018, 11:00 pm

jimbopip wrote:Eejit, if SJ had played in the Ai's, and showed up well, then I would agree with you 100%. Toonie obviously rates him. However, he now only has the 6N's to acclimatize himself to international rugby before the World Cup. Time may be against him. This is one of the reasons why I don't buy into the "play your best XV and go into the tournament off the back of a morale boosting6 Nations". Thre will be players who need to play to get an idea of what international rugby is all about.

I'm actually in disagreement with you there.

I don't care whether we have a morale boosting six nations in terms of the world cup. Rather a win in the six nations would top anything other than actually winning the world cup for me. Think about the place 1990 or 1999 holds in the Scottish rugby psyche as opposed to reaching the semi-final of the 1991 world cup. If the first two games go wrong then I'd use it as world cup prep but if we're in a place to make a real, proper splash then we simply have to take it.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 19 Dec 2018, 7:42 am

John Barclay is now not going to make a return until late January at the earliest - don't think we'll be seeing him in the 6N, certainly not the first few rounds.

Big blow for Edinburgh too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 19 Dec 2018, 9:43 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:John Barclay is now not going to make a return until late January at the earliest - don't think we'll be seeing him in the 6N, certainly not the first few rounds.

Big blow for Edinburgh too.

Another reason to hate Glasgow (as if we needed one) over the festive period!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 19 Dec 2018, 10:19 am

I'm currently writing dirty limericks involving Matt Scott (23), the Roseburn Bar and a lady of negotiable virtue.

I do declare, they're quite scandalous.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 19 Dec 2018, 11:49 am

A centre sat in Roseburn Bar,
Watching Scotland train from afar.
"But I'm Matt Scott (23)!
There's none better than me!
Though I defend like a door that's ajar."

I had to leave out the lady, as making jokes about women in difficult circumstances doesn't fit with my new status as a legit woke millennial. Oh. Jeremy. Corbyn.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 19 Dec 2018, 12:09 pm

IanBru wrote:A centre sat in Roseburn Bar,
Watching Scotland train from afar.
"But I'm Matt Scott (23)!
There's none better than me!
Though I defend like a door that's ajar."

I had to leave out the lady, as making jokes about women in difficult circumstances doesn't fit with my new status as a legit woke millennial. Oh. Jeremy. Corbyn.

Horrible. Shameful. Offensive.

Still laughed. 10/10.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 19 Dec 2018, 12:11 pm

i was expecting better given it took him an hour and a half.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 19 Dec 2018, 12:17 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:i was expecting better given it took him an hour and a half.

There is a young man named Bru
who has one stone instead of two
his other is nailed to a mast
due to a bad bet from the past
so take heed as this could happen to you
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 19 Dec 2018, 12:18 pm

tigertattie wrote:

who has one stone instead of two
his other is nailed to a mast
due to a bad bet from the past
so take heed as this could happen to you

Now that's what I'm talking about! Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 19 Dec 2018, 12:19 pm

Aye but he'll bill for two hours. At least.

On which subject;

A "friend of mine" who has been struggling with the demon alcohol for some time phoned me last night,

"Listen, there's a new guy at the meetings. I don't think he understands the rules. He introduced himself by saying, "My name is Ian and I have a ....GIRLFRIEND"

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 19 Dec 2018, 12:46 pm

Does Ianbru have a girlfriend? Don't think he's mentioned it before...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 19 Dec 2018, 12:53 pm

Apologies all, I'll keep news of my impending nuptials to myself, and instead pretend that I am a bald, charmless social outcast without a friend in the world, trading on past glories and best seen in a tracksuit. Of course, people might mistake me for Richard Cockerill, but that's a risk you'll have to take.

Then again, if you'd seen her, you take out an ad in Engineer's Weekly.

Last edited by IanBru on Wed 19 Dec 2018, 1:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Wed 19 Dec 2018, 1:00 pm

IanBru wrote:If you'd seen her, you take out an ad in Engineer's Weekly.

Everyone knows engineers don't understand human emotion and only appreciate the love of a good soldering iron.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 19 Dec 2018, 1:02 pm

Eejit wrote:

Everyone knows engineers don't understand human emotion and only appreciate the love of a good soldering iron.
[Doffs cap]
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 19 Dec 2018, 1:02 pm

Eejit wrote:

Structural engineer mate - I'm more of a concrete man OK

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 19 Dec 2018, 1:05 pm

IanBru wrote:Apologies all, I'll keep news of my impending nuptials to myself, and instead pretend that I am a bald, charmless social outcast without a friend in the world, trading on past glories and best seen in a tracksuit. Of course, people might mistake me for Richard Cockerill, but that's a risk you'll have to take.

Who has one stone instead of two
But his burd is that that hot
it doesnt matter a lot
he can still get it up when needing to
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 19 Dec 2018, 1:06 pm

Interesting, if the post you quote is edited, it also edits in your quote!

tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 19 Dec 2018, 2:21 pm

Just as a silly aside, I received a concerned text from a Glaswegian poster who once frequented these boards and is rather fond of Young Pipetto.
It read,
"Jimbo, just heard the wee man's been in the hospital. Is that right?"

I passed the phone to Pipetto and he read it, frowned and said,

" I know it's in English but I don't understand a word of that!"

What kind of monster am I raising?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 19 Dec 2018, 4:27 pm

Adam Hastings the third one up on the signings front for the warriors this week. Keep them coming boys.

All a bit quiet on the signing front over in the east, not exactly queuing up are they!

Maybe they will get a few to come around eventually, but it is hard work no doubt and they will have to pay well over the market rate!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 20 Dec 2018, 2:13 pm

First professional contract for Grant Stewart, keeping him at Scotstoun until 2020.

I think we'd all like to be in the position of young Mr Stewart's agent in those negotiations:

[Sits down, lights cigar, addresses Mr Bombrys]
"So Nathan... Nate-ey old mate, what's the going rate for Glasgow's first choice hooker?"
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 20 Dec 2018, 4:46 pm

tigertattie wrote:
IanBru wrote:Apologies all, I'll keep news of my impending nuptials to myself, and instead pretend that I am a bald, charmless social outcast without a friend in the world, trading on past glories and best seen in a tracksuit. Of course, people might mistake me for Richard Cockerill, but that's a risk you'll have to take.

Who has one stone instead of two
But his burd is that that hot
it doesnt matter a lot
he can still get it up when needing told to

fixed that for you, Tiger, scans now.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Thu 20 Dec 2018, 5:00 pm

What's up with Socino? He was brilliant in the Premiership but can't seem to get a look in for Edinburgh.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Dec 2018, 5:03 pm

He's actually played a lot for us Burger, particularly off the bench, but has been pretty average / not very good. His defence has been pretty shoddy at times and he doesn't make much ground in attack. He's also prone to the odd bad kick.

He's basically involved just now due to injuries to Matt Scott and Mark Bennett - if they were fit he'd barely be playing at all based on current form.

Being a centre in a Duncan Hodge coached backline is difficult but he has been disappointing!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 20 Dec 2018, 5:15 pm

SirBurger wrote:What's up with Socino? He was brilliant in the Premiership but can't seem to get a look in for Edinburgh.

As Charles Darwin proved, creatures adapt to their environment; are you surprised that yet another decent rugby player went to Luvvietoun and became keech?

Of course, it works the other way too: ask Cap'n Kellock if he would have won the league staying at the home of the Exfoliators. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 21 Dec 2018, 9:07 am

jimbopip wrote:
SirBurger wrote:What's up with Socino? He was brilliant in the Premiership but can't seem to get a look in for Edinburgh.

As Charles Darwin proved, creatures adapt to their environment; are you surprised that yet another decent rugby player went to Luvvietoun and became keech?
To be fair, every time I get the train from the Toon up to Edinburgh, I'm consumed by ennui, despair, and a nagging sense that I'll have to walk more than two minutes to find a Greggs.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 21 Dec 2018, 12:02 pm

Glasgow Warriors team to play Edinburgh in the Guinness PRO14, 1872 Cup First Leg at BT Murrayfield, Saturday 22 December, kick-off 5.15pm - live on Premier Sports 1.

1. Oli Kebble (21)
2. Grant Stewart (12)
3. Siua Halanukonuka (20)
4. Rob Harley (196)
5. Jonny Gray (95)
6. Adam Ashe (62)
7. Callum Gibbins (C) (27)
8. Matt Fagerson (36)

9. George Horne (30)
10. Adam Hastings (19)
11. DTH van der Merwe
12. Peter Horne (149)
13. Nick Grigg (51)
14. Tommy Seymour (123)
15. Stuart Hogg (111)

Replacements

16. Kevin Bryce (16)
17. Jamie Bhatti (34)
18. D’Arcy Rae (52)
19. Tim Swinson (116)
20. Chris Fusaro (153)
21. Ali Price (66)
22. Huw Jones (15)
23. Niko Matawalu (103)
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 21 Dec 2018, 12:20 pm

Edinburgh team out

15. Blair Kinghorn (73)
14. Darcy Graham (13)
13. James Johnstone (30)
12. Chris Dean (76)
11. Duhan van der Merwe (29)
10. Jaco van der Walt (26)
9. Henry Pyrgos (12)

1. Pierre Schoeman (9)
2. Stuart McInally (129) CAPTAIN
3. WP Nel (124)
4. Ben Toolis (99)
5. Grant Gilchrist (129)
6. Luke Hamilton (12)
7. Hamish Watson (90)
8. Bill Mata (47)

Replacements: 16. David Cherry (8); 17. Allan Dell (53); 18. Pietro Ceccarelli (4); 19. Callum Hunter-Hill (8); 20. Luke Crosbie (17); 21. Nathan Fowles (64); 22. Simon Hickey (12); 23. Juan Pablo Socino (10)

Unavailable due to injury: Lewis Carmichael; John Barclay; Magnus Bradbury; Jamie Ritchie; Senitiki Nayalo; Matt Scott; Mark Bennett; Damien Hoyland

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Dec 2018, 12:26 pm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 21 Dec 2018, 12:48 pm

Really? You should tell everyone about it. boxing
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 21 Dec 2018, 12:49 pm

IanBru wrote:

Like you do with....wassername?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 21 Dec 2018, 12:55 pm

jimbopip wrote:
IanBru wrote:

Like you do with....wassername?
I swear James, you bring her up more than I do!
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 21 Dec 2018, 1:26 pm

Are you saying green doesn't look good on me?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Dec 2018, 2:38 pm

Gilcrhist signs a 3 year deal - good news given he's now in his prime (and despite what the weegies say, is actually a very good lock)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 21 Dec 2018, 2:44 pm

jimbopip wrote:Are you saying green doesn't look good on me?
Bubbly
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Fri 21 Dec 2018, 3:30 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Gilcrhist signs a 3 year deal - good news given he's now in his prime (and despite what the weegies say, is actually a very good lock)

Interesting that he is signing up for three years, whereas most of the Glasgow re-signings over the recent past have been one or two year deals.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 21 Dec 2018, 3:50 pm

Delighted about Gilco's deal. I know some don't rate him, but he's very good at what he does and is a cracking player for some of our younger locks to learn from.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri 21 Dec 2018, 4:01 pm

Whilst Edinburgh re-sign a second rate lock, it looks like Glasgow just announced a new deal for Niko.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 21 Dec 2018, 4:11 pm

Niko till 2021 Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

Yah beezer. Yah wee brammer that ye are. Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 21 Dec 2018, 4:13 pm

2 more years for Niko.

Clearly just did not fancy Wales

He is playing out of his skin and we just love him in Glasgow.

Great bit of business

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next