The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

+22
LadyPutt
TRUSSMAN66
dynamark
Shotrock
Good Golly I'm Olly
incontinentia
Collapse2005
I'm never wrong
JAS
Be_the_ball
Roller_Coaster
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
Davie
beninho
GPB
McLaren
kwinigolfer
super_realist
Diggers
NedB-H
pedro
26 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 3 Empty This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by pedro Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

RCB was only mentioned as a potential pick in lack of alternatives.

pedro

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 3 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by Be_the_ball Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:03 pm

pedro wrote:Surely JP is ponying up a few quid to cater his own ego and oil the ET execs. Not entirely unheard of in the world of oligarch and sheikhs.

And Shannon not remote? Yes there might be a few summer flights to the US, but hardly any to Europe. It’s a big middle finger to non-Irish golf fans.

PS: This is not The Open.

You need to get out of Peckham more often Pedro OK
Laugh

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 3 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by super_realist Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:26 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
pedro wrote:The selection of Adare Manor is a bit dodgy. No doubt it’s a lovely place but you can’t help think the ET are now going the UEFA/FIFA way of selecting oligarch sponsored remote locations. I’m sure they could have found more accessible places elsewhere.

Oligarch? Remote?

Adare manor is close to Shannon airport. Very easy to fly to. Lots of planes coming from the US to Shannon all year round and then a 2 hour drive to Adare.

JP McManus is a wealthy man but not exactly an oligarch athough Lionel Richie and Billy Joel did perform at his daughters wedding.

Access was one of the big arguements against Portrush 10 years ago. Turned out to be a bit of a red herring albeit in this case I think they will need to get the planned bypass completed.

Christ, what did his daughter do to deserve Lionel Richie and Billy Joel. He must not like her at all. That's music that a 60 year old would listen to, not someone the age of McManus' daughter.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:36 pm

I love Lionel Richie. Great music to make some moves to.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:48 pm

Banter aside Pedro, it does look like a pretty special course and facilities.

https://youtu.be/Mli1WKUXNm0

https://youtu.be/_IBPQegfZLM

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:48 pm

Latest from Harrington.. Looks like Sergio and Poulter will get Captain's picks. Lowry will probably get one too if he falls out of automatic qualification.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1242852/
incontinentia
incontinentia

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:12 am

Think the only real decision Harrington has, is if Lowry makes it automatically (which looks likely, bar Perez doing something like winning at Wentworth), then does he take Rose or a debutant like Bob MacIntyre?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:07 am

Europe are going to get spanked im afraid.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:09 am

super_realist wrote:Europe are going to get spanked im afraid.
It certainly will be a difficult atmosphere with only american fans present.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:13 am

super_realist wrote:Europe are going to get spanked im afraid.

I have a similar viewpoint Super. Really the only way I see the Americans not winning is if they have inter-team issues with clashes, as they have had at Ryder Cups in the past. Even if they do, it'll still be tough. They just have the better golfers at present!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:44 am

Europe win two minimum for every one the Septics win so theure due one.

They will benefit from not having the albatross of Botox Woods around their neck. He always gifted 3 points to Europe.

Only hope for Europe is that Matchplay is a different mindset.
Just cant see who'll be this years Molinari/Fleetwood.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:49 pm

What is a little strange this time around is that Europe look quite strong on paper compared to other years but the US team just look like one of the deepest teams ever. However, and I am not sure without the genius of Super_realist I would have picked up on this, but as we now know we should still never write off the Europeans whatever the gulf on class on paper looks like.

McLaren
McLaren

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:17 pm

McLaren wrote:What is a little strange this time around is that Europe look quite strong on paper compared to other years but the US team just look like one of the deepest teams ever. However, and I am not sure without the genius of Super_realist I would have picked up on this, but as we now know we should still never write off the Europeans whatever the gulf on class on paper looks like.

Strong on paper? Lowry? Fitzpatrick, Hatton? I see them as the weak points.

Hovland and Rahm could be good though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:40 pm

super_realist wrote:Europe win two minimum for every one the Septics win so theure due one.

They will benefit from not having the albatross of Botox Woods around their neck. He always gifted 3 points to Europe.

Only hope for Europe is that Matchplay is a different mindset.
Just cant see who'll be this years Molinari/Fleetwood.

There is still a chance the US mucks things up - six captains picks gives a lot of wiggle room for strange selections (part of me thinks they'll still pick Mickelson).

But as we've said the US depth is better, and while I know it is only a one week event so there is a certain randomness to it...but frankly a lot of the Euros aren't playing well at the moment. Hatton/Fleetwood in particular in the US have been poor, Westwood has gone off the boil from his good form in early 2021, you note Fitzpatrick too (the course is a horrible one for him).
Only really Rahm is playing at his best at the moment, Casey has been solid all year too.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:24 pm

Shane is in the hot seat, there’s a number of players who can push their way into the team and a lot of points to play for this week. It’s going to be an interesting week, anybody who plays well this week has really earned it- It’s not just they are going out to trying to win a golf tournament, but they are also trying to win a golf tournament knowing what it means in the bigger picture. That’s what you need when it comes to the Ryder Cup, you have to be able to handle the stress and pressure of what’s going on.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:10 pm

Annoyingly sensible and correct captains picks by Stricker
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:56 am

Patrick Reed is being reported as liking several tweets that criticise Stricker for leaving him out of the team.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:37 am

Poulter getting a pick? Can't see how he can.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:54 pm

beninho wrote:Poulter getting a pick? Can't see how he can.
Past glories. He played decent enough in a few comps this year though didn't he?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:10 pm

His recent events have been OK, nothing g really outstanding.

http://www.owgr.com/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=1435

On a course, which will be long and set up for bombing. Will the 185th ranked driving distance cone in helpful. I get he is a RC legend but him and Westwood on the team with Sergio is a worrying sign for European strength in depth. I'd love Guido in!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:12 pm

Poulter has done alright on the PGA Tour recently hasn't he? I do agree, he does seem a poor course fit.

But then you could say there is a fair few of the qualified guys who look out of form/poor fits too - Westwood/Hatton/Fleetwood, have they done anything of real note for a few months now?

Ultimately if Europe are going to win they're going to need the likes of Rahm/Rory/Hovland to do the heavy lifting, someone to do a Leona Maguire
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:54 pm

Westwood and Weisberger complete the 9 automatic qualifiers and Paddy picks

Sergio
Shane
Poulter

IMO, Poulter's aura is gone and Whistling Straits is a big boy ball park. I think Rose would have been a better pick than the Postman,

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:04 pm

Rose or Poulter. Much of a muchness.

You'd say USA are favourites, but they always are! And they were in the Solheim Cup adwell.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:06 pm

FWIW, the USA was not pre-event favorites in 2006 and 2008

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:17 pm

Ironic that Horschel won this week, one week too late again it seems, to warrant a pick.

Any updates on Koepkas injury?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:24 pm

Can’t see how we can win this time around. Will be a bombers course, no/few Euro fans and Paddy doesn’t come across as a leader who can motivate the guys. I’m afraid it will be a spanking like in 2016.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:30 pm

pedro wrote:Can’t see how we can win this time around. Will be a bombers course, no/few Euro fans and Paddy doesn’t come across as a leader who can motivate the guys. I’m afraid it will be a spanking like in 2016.

If the Euros lose, it will because Paddy picked Lowry and not MacIntyre or Perez.

GPB

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:18 am

GPB wrote:
pedro wrote:Can’t see how we can win this time around. Will be a bombers course, no/few Euro fans and Paddy doesn’t come across as a leader who can motivate the guys. I’m afraid it will be a spanking like in 2016.

If the Euros lose, it will because Paddy picked Lowry and not MacIntyre or Perez.

Europe are going to lose anyway, but the pick of a fat waster like Lowry isnt going to help. Tatty munching nepotism.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:20 am

beninho wrote:His recent events have been OK, nothing g really outstanding.

http://www.owgr.com/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=1435

On a course, which will be long and set up for bombing. Will the 185th ranked driving distance cone in helpful. I get he is a RC legend but him and Westwood on the team with Sergio is a worrying sign for European strength in depth. I'd love Guido in!

Plenty of the septics been quiet of late too. Rev Gordon, Rizla Johnson, Koepka and John Thomas havent exactly been ripping it up.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:16 am

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:

Europe are going to lose anyway, but the pick of a fat waster like Lowry isnt going to help. Tatty munching nepotism.

Maybe wouldn't call him a tatty muncher but I agree with the sentiment of this post. Other than them both being Irish there was no good reason to pick Fat Shane. He spends the majority of most seasons in the wilderness. The chances of him being on form on any given week are pretty slim.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:13 pm

Hovland, McIlroy and Rahm certainly have the talent to run the table at this exhibition event. Then, if they get some good performances down the roster, there's no reason they don't win.

The Yanks need to keep infighting to a minimum and then play to their world rankings (which I guess don't mean much in a an event like this.)

Not sure WS favors the US team.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:14 pm

If you base the FedEx cup standings as an overall sign of consistency Lowry was better then most who made the team. He is hands down the best choice over Rose or anyone else. More was higher up the standings. Also looks like 16 cuts in a row and been pretty consistent.

I dont think Poulter is a fit, but he is a better pick then Rose.

beninho

LadyPutt and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:23 pm

beninho wrote:If you base the FedEx cup standings as an overall sign of consistency Lowry was better then most who made the team.  He is hands down the best choice over Rose or anyone else. More was higher up the standings. Also looks like 16 cuts in a row and been pretty consistent.

I dont think Poulter is a fit, but he is a better pick then Rose.

Thats precisely the thinking as to why America lose so frequently. Square pegs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:41 pm

And it starts. The dire predictions for the Euro Ryder Cup team.

If the Euros lose, I predicted it!

If the Euros win, See, the US Team Sucks.

Heads I win, Tails you Lose.

(with a plethora of sophomoric and puerile name calling)

GPB

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:41 pm

But if you put the teams together, surely most people would say Anerica is stronger? And therefore should win.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:53 pm

beninho wrote:But if you put the teams together, surely most people would say Anerica is stronger? And therefore should win.

That is always the case, but this is a team matchplay event and so form, rankings , majors etc counts for little.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:54 pm

GPB wrote:And it starts.  The dire predictions for the Euro Ryder Cup team.  

Ive been saying that Europe would lose for about 2 years.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:32 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:But if you put the teams together, surely most people would say Anerica is stronger? And therefore should win.

That is always the case, but this is a team matchplay event and so form, rankings , majors etc counts for little.

Yep, but it's still the only way to think who is favourite, by comparing players.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:49 pm

beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Yep, but it's still the only way to think who is favourite, by comparing players.  

And it routinely fails as a method, but i cant see that being the case this time. Europe have got a bit long in the tooth and the course is set up to benefit one dimensional American golf.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:38 pm

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:And it starts.  The dire predictions for the Euro Ryder Cup team.  

Ive been saying that Europe would lose for about 2 years.

My Point, Exactly!

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:39 am

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:

It’s hardly that is it? Lowry only dropped out of an automatic place on the last day. I presume you’d have put Rose in Lowry’s place? Tight call for sure but I think Paddy was fairly objective, I mean he gave his “good mate” Sergio a pick :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:00 pm

Matchplay is a different game to yer regular golf .Love it

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:05 am

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:

Paddy based his picks on many factors including data from his stats guy. The data show that Lowry deserves his pick. MacIntyre's background in shinty, plus his victories in the Sahara Kuwait championship and the Aphrodite Hills Cyprus showdown would have helped his case for a captain's pick, but Lowry's record just pipped him slightly. Good shout though, hopefully Bob will make the next Ryder Cup Smile
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:44 pm

No Laying Up podcast has a pretty tremendous episode this week of behind the scenes stories from past players, captains and caddies.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:07 pm

inco

I downloaded it earlier. Looking forward to it. NLU are my go to way to consume golf these days.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:25 pm

So should Koepka give his place up to a more deserving participant?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/58569270
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:20 pm

What a whiner

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:22 pm

McLaren wrote:So should Koepka give his place up to a more deserving participant?

Maybe, but its not gonna happen. I'd say most of the players hate playing the RC but grin and bear it, we've heard comments like this before.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:24 pm

pedro wrote:What a whiner
You dont enjoy his honesty?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:51 am

incontinentia wrote:
McLaren wrote:So should Koepka give his place up to a more deserving participant?

Maybe, but its not gonna happen. I'd say most of the players hate playing the RC but grin and bear it, we've heard comments like this before.

Most "Americans" perhaps. Europeans clearly love it. Funny how the Yanks seem to love the tinpot Presidents Cup though. What a difference winning makes

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:29 am

Super

The yanks have better things to worry about. Like winning majors.
McLaren
McLaren

Shotrock likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next