The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

+22
LadyPutt
TRUSSMAN66
dynamark
Shotrock
Good Golly I'm Olly
incontinentia
Collapse2005
I'm never wrong
JAS
Be_the_ball
Roller_Coaster
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
Davie
beninho
GPB
McLaren
kwinigolfer
super_realist
Diggers
NedB-H
pedro
26 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 4 Empty This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by pedro Mon 01 Oct 2018, 9:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

RCB was only mentioned as a potential pick in lack of alternatives.

pedro

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 4 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by GPB Fri 17 Sep 2021, 9:35 pm

Some American players don't value the Ryder Cup as other American players or their European Counterparts.

In other golf news, some golfers don't give a rats arse about Olympic Golf.

Big F-ing Deal! I don't see why there is angst and outrage about it, especially by media and fans from the European side of the pond.

FWIW, I can understand (but not agree with) Koepka's point of view. When you boil it down, the Ryder Cup is an exhibtion. A highly competitive exhibition, and the players are passionate about winning it. I enjoy watching it and wake up very early to watch when it is played in Europe.

The fact remains that a significant percentage of the male golfing population will never be eligible to play. Some of the all time greats never had a chance to play it. Bobby Locke, Gary Player, Peter Thomson, Greg Norman, Nick Price. NOT ELIGIBLE to play the Ryder Cup. While World Class famous players like Thorbjorn Olesen, JB Holmes, Steve Pate, Pierre Fulke, and Phillip Price not only got to play, but were on Winning teams.

Lee Trevino had disdain for ANGC and skipped many Masters
Don January didn't like the USGA and skipped many US Opens

Golfers have their opinions and it takes all types to make the world go round,

The ice cream parlors would be pretty boring if all they offered was vanilla ice cream.

GPB

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 4 Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by super_realist Sat 18 Sep 2021, 11:30 am

Believe me, no one in Europe give a toss whether the Yanks care avout Ryder Cup

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 18 Sep 2021, 2:39 pm

Some of the posts on this board and tweets from Euro media contradict that statement.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sun 19 Sep 2021, 12:16 pm

Ryder cup is good though as a completely different format.We have probably all played club matches where you are waiting for the last game to come on to 18 and win you the match .then all in the bar and a meal together some good nights,

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 20 Sep 2021, 10:44 am

McLaren
McLaren

Shotrock likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 20 Sep 2021, 1:16 pm

super_realist wrote:Believe me, no one in Europe give a toss whether the Yanks care avout Ryder Cup

Well, I do. It partly explains how the superior team have not won as often as you would expect. And I agree with GPB, it's a glorified, highly competitive, exhibition. It shouldn't be the main focus for any player. In some ways it is quite sad to see how seriously the euros take it when half of them can't even keep a PGAT card.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 20 Sep 2021, 5:43 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:Believe me, no one in Europe give a toss whether the Yanks care avout Ryder Cup

Well, I do. It partly explains how the superior team have not won as often as you would expect. And I agree with GPB, it's a glorified, highly competitive, exhibition. It shouldn't be the main focus for any player. In some ways it is quite sad to see how seriously the euros take it when half of them can't even keep a PGAT card.
Those Euros often have a poor record in the majors, so they big up the RC to make their careers seem better.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 20 Sep 2021, 5:54 pm

McLaren wrote:

A collection of individuals do not make a team Mac. Thats the whole point. If they played as a team wouldn't you expect a better result? Europe get more out of the sum of their parts, America just cant get over their own ego.
If you think America dont try though take a look at the Miracle at Medinah and observe the faces of Bradley, Furyk, Stricker, Dufner etc, I'd say Woods too, but that bell end often is tripping over his petted lip.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 20 Sep 2021, 7:01 pm

Super

So you do care about how much the Americans care? Or at least accept that how much they care will determine their chances of winning?

If it were a bigger priority for more of their players then the incentive to culture a team spirit would exist.

PS the Euro's are getting pumped. Can't make birdies on the biggest stage.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 20 Sep 2021, 9:00 pm

For those who want some pre-telecast looks at the holes for the upcoming exhibition event:

https://www.golfdigest.com/video/every-hole-at/every-hole-at-whistling-straits

Shotrock

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Sep 2021, 7:39 am

McLaren wrote:Super

So you do care about how much the Americans care? Or at least accept that how much they care will determine their chances of winning?

If it were a bigger priority for more of their players then the incentive to culture a team spirit would exist.

PS the Euro's are getting pumped. Can't make birdies on the biggest stage.

Mac, you can care about an outcome but still not understand team unity. Thats the point.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 21 Sep 2021, 3:56 pm

Super_realist wrote:Believe me, no one in Europe give a toss whether the Yanks care avout [sic] Ryder Cup

Can you confirm that Ian Woosnam is no longer a European?

Ian Woosnam wrote:“The article Koepka has just done, that’s not nice for his team. It’s not good. He’s basically said, ‘I could do without this, it’s getting me out of my routine doing this’. “Christ almighty – get a life!”

“If I was captain and it was one of my players, I’d be saying ‘What the f**k you doing?’ All this crap he’s got going with DeChambeau – is it that bad or is it just false? Either way, it’s not good for Stricker.”

https://www.golfwrx.com/661084/what-the-fk-you-doing-former-masters-champ-tells-brooks-koepka-to-get-a-life/

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 21 Sep 2021, 5:53 pm

GPB wrote:
Super_realist wrote:Believe me, no one in Europe give a toss whether the Yanks care avout [sic] Ryder Cup

Can you confirm that Ian Woosnam is no longer a European?

Ian Woosnam wrote:“The article Koepka has just done, that’s not nice for his team. It’s not good. He’s basically said, ‘I could do without this, it’s getting me out of my routine doing this’. “Christ almighty – get a life!”

“If I was captain and it was one of my players, I’d be saying ‘What the f**k you doing?’ All this crap he’s got going with DeChambeau – is it that bad or is it just false? Either way, it’s not good for Stricker.”

https://www.golfwrx.com/661084/what-the-fk-you-doing-former-masters-champ-tells-brooks-koepka-to-get-a-life/

Once again you fail to understand the difference between literal and figurative language.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 21 Sep 2021, 9:45 pm

Super

Why not just admit you were wrong? Not sure if you talk to many golf fans but a large part of the golf chats I am in talk about the US's relative lack of caring about the RC. Europeans love to bitch about the yanks. How have you missed this?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 22 Sep 2021, 8:03 am

Why not just admit you were wrong? Not sure if you talk to many golf fans but a large part of the golf chats I am in talk about the US's relative lack of caring about the RC. Europeans love to bitch about the yanks. How have you missed this?

Because i'm not wrong. The only  problem is that GPB can only read on a literal level. Speak to MOST Europeans (for the hard of understanding) and you'll see they dont give a toss how seriously the Yanks take it.
Clearly MOST of the Yanks, Botox excepted  have and do take it seriously, but it doesnt put MOST Europeans up or down either way.

Does any European on here want to admit they care whether the American team take it as seriously as Europe does? You dont for sure seeing as you consider ot a pointless exhibition.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 22 Sep 2021, 10:11 am

Anyways, it’s nearly upon us. I had been thinking for all the hype about the differences in rankings,which I think is largely irrelevant, that Europe would upset the odds and bring it home. However I came a cross a set of putting stats yesterday (in my view MUCH more relevant than world ranking) and it makes worrying reading. If and it’s a big IF those putting stats stick largely where they are throughout this week then all other things being equal, sad to say Europe will get an absolute horsing. Get on that practice putting green and stay on it until bedtime because each and every one of them will have to find some improvement somewhere!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 22 Sep 2021, 10:25 am

Interesting stats BUT they do have to be taken in context as well I.e. based on strokes gained putting, the worst putter on both teams is the Open Champion…eh?? Obviously a testament to his great tee to green game
This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! - Page 4 4b35be10

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 22 Sep 2021, 12:58 pm

Jas

Do you know if the EU teams SGP numbers are from the PGAT, ET or both? Because if the EU teams stats are based on playing mostly outside the US then their putting performance might end up being slightly worse relative to the US. Kwini was always a big proponent of the idea that it was difficult to putt in the US if you weren't a full time PGAT member and I would tend to agree with that.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 22 Sep 2021, 1:57 pm

I'm beginning to think I'm the only one here that gives Europe a cat in hell's chance of winning this time around. Sure, USA are the clear favourites but I'm not writing Europe off just yet. Stranger things have happened....

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 22 Sep 2021, 2:55 pm

You cant write off Europe, but it does seem that home advantage is making a big (too big?) Impact on the RC.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 22 Sep 2021, 3:15 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/that-1980s-sports-blog/2021/sep/22/ryder-cup-bernhard-langer-putt-kiawah-island

Good article. 1991 RC is my first real golf memory, and only really the Langer Putt. That Hale Irwin tee shot looks well dodgy though. The the car accident and dodgy withdrawal just as dodgy.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 22 Sep 2021, 3:24 pm

Wisconsin used to be up there with Alaska as one of the few States with more Men than Women.....Mainly white and with a reputation for being one of the racist States in the US... The patrons aren't known for their empathy with outsiders so don't expect Europe to get any.....Of course it gets away with this because of its middle class apple pie reputation....

it will have changed some in the years since I moved here but real change takes time..

Hate to sound like a broken record but I can't see any hope for Europe.  USA has fearless rookies unsullied by defeats of old...Europe have toi many faded stars hoping for one last miracle....

Course is long.. The US is longer...Imagine the rough will be sparse too..

Hope it is close.. But I expect it will be comfortable..

USA 17 - Europe 11..

Hope Poulter finds his game...Love watching him...Good luck.

You will need it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 22 Sep 2021, 4:28 pm

I could absolutely see Europe winning this event. Rory/Rahm are world beaters and could run the tables in their matches. Then, just go 50/50 and the cup stays

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 22 Sep 2021, 4:53 pm

super_realist wrote:

Because i'm not wrong. The only  problem is that GPB can only read on a literal level. Speak to MOST Europeans (for the hard of understanding) and you'll see they dont give a toss how seriously the Yanks take it.
Clearly MOST of the Yanks, Botox excepted  have and do take it seriously, but it doesnt put MOST Europeans up or down either way.

Does any European on here want to admit they care whether the American team take it as seriously as Europe does? You dont for sure seeing as you consider ot a pointless exhibition.

There you go again. Spouting a bunch of bulls***.

Now you have gone from the absolute statement from "No one from Europe" to "Most Europeans". Of course most Europeans don't gives a rat arse about the what Americans think. Most Europeans don't give a rats arse about golf. Millions of Italians and Germans and Austrians and Croatians have probably never watched golf.

You are unwilling to admit that you are wrong. You still think MacIntyre and Perez should have been picked over Lowry. That shows your bias against Lowry. (becauase they are more consistent!! HA! )

IMO, most passionate golf fansand media from both America and Europe are somewhat bothered by Koepka's attitude. Many on this board. 'that is who I was directing my post at. I was not directing it at the general population, and it is obvious that you did the same thing as you accuse me of doing,.

And TrussMan66

Do you have citation about your Wisconsin claims? A reputation as one the most rascist states in America? And more men than women? And a middle class apple pie reputation.

The "Race" Card gets thrown around way too frequently these days. Its easy to do that without anything to back it up. And that is BullS*** as well.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 22 Sep 2021, 8:32 pm

The racial inequality figures are out of sync with most other States always have been...Only 5 or so % of the State is Black and nearly half the prisoners in the State are black...Whilst white kids excel at reading and writing the State is at the bottom of proficiency for Black kids...Places like Dane County were renowned for chucking Black kids in jail for little reason or at least they were...

Employment disparities...Income disparities...

I don't make statements I can't back up..

But this is a Golf forum.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 23 Sep 2021, 12:59 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:The racial inequality figures are out of sync with most other States always have been...Only 5 or so % of the State is Black and nearly half the prisoners in the State are black...Whilst white kids excel at reading and writing the State is at the bottom of proficiency for Black kids...Places like Dane County were renowned  for chucking Black kids in jail for little reason or at least they were...

Employment disparities...Income  disparities...

I don't make statements I can't back up..

But this is a Golf forum.

"This is a golf forum" Correct, this is a golf forum so I don't know why you brought racism into it.

And you still haven't backed anything up. No citations. And even if your numbers are true, it is not evidence of racism. Look up the difference between causation, correlation and coincidence.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 23 Sep 2021, 10:38 am

beninho wrote:You cant write off Europe, but it does seem that home advantage is making a big (too big?) Impact on the RC.

Was listening to the No Laying Up podcast, and they were speaking about the kind of tit for tat in course setup between the two teams which has been going on, and pointed out that the more "neutral" course setups in both Europe/America have produced the better RCs in recent years.

Will be interesting to see what they do with Whistling

Has there been any leaked pairings for day 1 yet?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 23 Sep 2021, 1:40 pm

I still can't believe fatprick is not on this team. When you have so many like BDC, Koepka that couldn't give a Poopie, and many like DJ who are indifferent it is crazy to leave out the one guy who just absolutely revels in the event.

Even to this day Spieth talks about how inspiring it was to play with P Reed.

They guy is a cheating jackass, but that didn't hamper Seve in the RC.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 23 Sep 2021, 2:33 pm

Seve didn't excel in 95 when he was out of form and oldies like Torrance...James and Clark pulled through.

My guess is if Reed was provably 100 percent he would be there.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 23 Sep 2021, 2:46 pm

Can we please stop the puerile name calling and have a sensible discussion about how the matches are going during this Ryder Cup or I'm not going to bother even logging on to the site. Maybe I'm getting old but it's all getting a bit wearing Erm
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

incontinentia, GPB and Born Slippy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 23 Sep 2021, 3:37 pm

If anyone wants to die a slow death, tune into the golf channel ... how they can talk for 72 hours straight about this exhibition event is beyond me. "Everything means something" taken to an entirely new level.

Still can't understand why the US chose a links style course for home field advantage?

Bring on F1 practice sessions.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 23 Sep 2021, 3:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

He had covid several months ago now. He would be fine to play.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 23 Sep 2021, 5:05 pm

Couple of funnies to keep you amused. https://twitter.com/RyderCupEurope/status/1440737666987872256

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O202kIq6_oI

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 23 Sep 2021, 5:14 pm

McLaren wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

He had double pneumonia only a few weeks ago.
incontinentia
incontinentia

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 23 Sep 2021, 5:20 pm

My problem is that generally this America team, is pretty much hard to dislike. Apart from BDC or English. The rest all seem decent guys.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 23 Sep 2021, 5:37 pm

incontinentia wrote:
McLaren wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

He had double pneumonia only a few weeks ago.

Double pneumonia, which He said himself he thought he was going to die from!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

LadyPutt and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 23 Sep 2021, 11:52 pm

Americans look a lot stronger on paper, as they usually do, but they've often failed to live up to that billing at the Ryder Cup in the last decade.

Europe favourites by my reckoning. Looks like a decent foursomes draw for them as well.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Sep 2021, 8:51 am

beninho wrote:My problem is that generally this America team, is pretty much hard to dislike. Apart from BDC or English. The rest all seem decent guys.

Berger looks like he played Banjo in Deliverance, BDC is a Bell End, Gordon is a boring git, but generally theyre alright compared to when the loathesome Botox used to play.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 24 Sep 2021, 8:59 am

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:My problem is that generally this America team, is pretty much hard to dislike. Apart from BDC or English. The rest all seem decent guys.

Berger looks like he played Banjo in Deliverance...
Laugh Laugh
Disappointed Lowry didn't get a pick for the foursomes..
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Sep 2021, 9:22 am

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Berger looks like he played Banjo in Deliverance...
Laugh Laugh
Disappointed Lowry didn't get a pick for the foursomes..

Still at the buffet. Hes looking fatter than ever

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 24 Sep 2021, 10:18 am

super_realist wrote:
Still at the buffet. Hes looking fatter than ever
Protection from the harsh Wisconsin cold. I'm expecting him to deliver big this weekend.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Sep 2021, 10:33 am

Not sure who he will be paired with this afternoon. Hatton?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 24 Sep 2021, 11:17 am

super_realist wrote:Not sure who he will be paired with this afternoon. Hatton?
Possibly Fleetwood, I think they get on pretty well.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 24 Sep 2021, 12:11 pm

I'm going 3-1 America this morning. That Westwood, Fitzpatrick team scares me. And im still unsure on poulter, maybe better foursomes then 4 balls though.

Really can't wait!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 24 Sep 2021, 12:55 pm

Agreed on Poulter. I admire what he has done on the PGAT for over a decade compared to some supposedly top Europeans efforts on that tour but this might be a RC too far. Could see him picking up 0 points this weekend.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 24 Sep 2021, 1:00 pm

My only positive on poulter l, was who else. Rose hasn't done much, Noren was close but, meh. I'd love to see Guido get involved through.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 24 Sep 2021, 1:10 pm

Ben

If not Poulter then I would have had a good look at Fatprick reeds ancestry if I were Europe.

Ok predictions for the overall score.

I am going for a US win by 3 2. (just need to temper my confidence a little)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Sep 2021, 1:15 pm

16-12 to USA.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 24 Sep 2021, 1:18 pm

Would have thought those putts on one were good, good. chin
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 24 Sep 2021, 1:18 pm

I like the cut of Hovalnds jib. Looks good.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next