The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+32
Mick(TEFC)
MR. scotland27
geoff998rugby
RuggerRadge2611
perthshirepuma
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Rava
nottins
Cari
PenfroPete
Breadvan
Luckless Pedestrian
greybeard
mickyt
Mickado
Adam D
red_stag
robbo277
WillyGilly
Dave.
prop_lyd
KiaRose
Gibson
Suspicious lurker
Thomond
rodders
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
MBTGOG
The_Hound_of_Harrow
Standulstermen
Notch
Cymroglan
36 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 4 Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the Tommy Bowe photo on the bar. That's a banning offence

So pull up a chair....what'll it be? appletini

Last edited by rugbydreamer on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 4 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Mickado Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:58 am

roddersm wrote:Thats a shame you feel that way stag. Many people I know in the south were cheering for McIlroy to win, as were people across the political spectrum up here.

If the next superstar of Golf is from County Down then thats fantastic for Irish Golf, not just NI.

Rodders, I think you’re taking things out of context. Stag has already said he was delighted Rory won, we all are, every person on the island would have wanted a win for him. But we can’t claim any national pride from his win. I think that’s all there is to it really.

It will be good for Irish golf no doubt but Ireland have no more claim to his success than Britain. This was a victory for Northern Ireland, no matter what your political persuasion is, Ireland shouldn’t cheaply hang on the coat tails of this success.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub - Page 4 Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by MBTGOG Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:59 am

Stag, you might have felt closer to Harrington's win but it doesn't Irish people both sides of the border don't feel an affinity towards him.

Sure look at the Greatest Irish Sportspersons poll RTE did a few years ago. In the top four, there were two people from Northern Ireland.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:03 am

Morning all, pretty tired after decided to stay up and watch the presenation and speeches!! Training starts this wednesday so it's back to the rugby for me (shoulder permitting)!!
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:03 am

MBTGOG, I haven't said anything about other people or tried to convince anyone my way is right. Just that this is how I (and clearly others) feel about it. I do feel some affinity towards McIlroy and wanted him to win.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:03 am

red_stag wrote:Morning all. Well done to McIlroy. Notch you say its great for Northern Ireland and Ireland. I don't follow that if I'm being honest. Obviously it is an amazing moment for Northern Irish sport. Outstanding golfing achievement. But I only ever seen Northern Irish flags when he plays. I mean for example his Dad was waving the Northern Irish flag last night, beside his name he has the N.I. flag. Will Ireland as a whole benefit to the same extent that N.Ireland will.

Don't know if that was clear. Anyway well done to Rory on a serious achievement.

At the end of the day, the guy is British and Irish. That's how he sees himself; he's spoken of his desire to win the Irish Open in front of his home crowd, he's also indicated he could represent Britain at the Olympics. Are you not proud to see an Irishman achieve greatness? It matters not to you that a guy born just hours away from your own corner of this island we share is dominating his opponents in historic fashion?

It's your point of view I don't understand, because when Harrington won his majors I was dancing around the room with delight and pride. Harrington, McDowell, McIlroy- they belong to all of us.

When I've gone down to Dublin, I've had taxi drivers talk to me in awestruck tones about Georgie Best. The most strident Leinster/Irish poster in this pub takes his name after Mike Gibson, the great Ulster and Ireland centre!

I find your point of view really depressing.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:08 am

Notch, to me rugby is very different and not in any way relevant.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:08 am

Mickado I hear what you are saying but lets face it Golf is an individual sport so we are all hanging on his coattails to some extent. Like I say I respect Stags point of view but I think some people are politicising some thing that is apolitcal here. Geographically speaking McIlroy is from the same Island, so everyone in Ireland should be able to feel a bit of national pride without feeling that they are coattailing.

Am I coattailing if I feel a sense of National pride when Leinster or Munster win the HEC?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:09 am

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:11 am

Well said Notch.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:11 am

Stag,

Why is rugby different and in no way relevant?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:14 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup/5168368/Financial-struggling-Samoa-hope-for-RWC-boost

Interesting article this. While for most, people don't even think about this, Samoa are struggling to make up the 2 MILLION New Zealand dollars needed to compete at the tournament.

I really can't see the squad sizes increasing for the time being.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:15 am

Rodders and Notch, I take your point and I’ve changed my mind. But to be honest I can’t feel any happier for the lad as it is. I’m already chuffed, I just thought claiming him as “one of mine” would be a bit cheeky.

Suppose, anyone that drinks jagerbombs out of the Ryder Cup is definitely “one of mine”! OK

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:15 am

As terms like Rep of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Britain etc are not used. Tricolours and Northern Ireland flags are not the done thing. We don't use our countries we use the Island.

McIlroy waves Northern Irish flags when he wins, his father was waving them, he has a Northern Irish flag beside his name. To me he is neither British nor Irish. I see him as Northern Irish - meaning I have an affinity towards him but the achievements of someone like Harrington mean more to me.

I really am sorry if that offends anyone.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:17 am

For me it's the exact same Stag. I've been known to celebrate wins by the other Irish provinces with incredible enthusiasm- there's no link to Northern Ireland, but I am both Northern Irish and Irish.

Mickado, Ireland has no need to hang onto the coattails of his success- it has been fundamental in it. It wasn't just Northern Ireland McIlroy competed and learned in when he first took up the sport. It was the whole of Ireland; multiple victories in the West of Ireland Championship and the Irish Close Championship helping him on his way in his pre-professional days. He served his apprenticeship on both sides of the border, he's as much a product of the Irish Golf scene as the N. Irish golf scene and his victory belongs to everyone in the South every bit as much as everyone in the North. Which is to say, slightly less so in an individual sport.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:18 am

Rory as already played for Ireland in the world cup of golf so that's enough for me. And to be honest i much prefer to see him waving a NI flag than a union jack.

Anyway congratulations to the young lad hopefully he can kick on and become more consistent. One third of all his titles have been majors.
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:18 am

Mick,

I think the point is that he is not "one of mine" but one of ours.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:18 am

Very glad to hear that Mick! I was feeling like a coattailer there for being inspired by Roy Keane, Bernard Dunne, Sonia O'Sullivan, Brian O'Driscoll ,Paul O'Connell and co Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:18 am

red_stag wrote:As terms like Rep of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Britain etc are not used. Tricolours and Northern Ireland flags are not the done thing. We don't use our countries we use the Island.

McIlroy waves Northern Irish flags when he wins, his father was waving them, he has a Northern Irish flag beside his name. To me he is neither British nor Irish. I see him as Northern Irish - meaning I have an affinity towards him but the achievements of someone like Harrington mean more to me.

I really am sorry if that offends anyone.

Well does the fact he came through the same tournaments in the Republic of Ireland, served the same apprenticeship as golfers down there, mean anything to you?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:19 am

hughie1986 wrote:Rory as already played for Ireland in the world cup of golf

Game, set and match Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:21 am

To be fair, at Irish rugby matches, you'll see plenty of Tri-colours, while the Irish national anthem is sung when playing south of the border.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:21 am

Interesting article Munsty. Finances have been a problem for Fiji too, on top of their other problems. Interesting point in
here suggesting up to 6 soldiers were in the running for squad places, but would be barred from NZ due to sanctions.

Minnows and finances might be worth their own article. Though I seem to recall a debate with someone (can't remember who) last year or in 2009 on old 606 who couldn't grasp the concept that a small population + geographic isolation = much smaller economy
🤦
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:22 am

Notch wrote:
hughie1986 wrote:Rory as already played for Ireland in the world cup of golf

Game, set and match Wink

He played tennis as well? wow, talented lad!

Lads, as I’ve said I feel no better for him (was already chuffed to bits), but I feel more comfortable being outwardly happy for him. If that makes any sense.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:25 am

Kiwi,

It might be but as you say, you find that not that many people are very knowledgeable on the subject.

Though I suppose that's the reason of starting the article.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:26 am

Notch, I know nothing about his backgrounds or statements he has made. I'm a casual fan of golf and watched the tournament last night and Saturday and I just found myself feeling that way as I did.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:30 am

Just checking for an Irish golf association and there is a Golfing Union of Ireland, which takes in the whole island.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:32 am

MBTGOG wrote:To be fair, at Irish rugby matches, you'll see plenty of Tri-colours, while the Irish national anthem is sung when playing south of the border.

I've been to plenty of Irish rugby matches where there are Tricolours AND Ulster Banners have been flown.

I have no problem with the tricolour personally; the Ulster Banner is a more complex issue. It's not been the official flag of Northern Ireland since the 1970s and I feel it's continued use is sport is inappropriate as there are many in NI who don't feel it represents them, and never have. Rory McIlroy- a Northern Irish Catholic- is happy to be identified with it though, which just shows in many sectors of society it's has no negative connotations. I don't think he would get behind a Union Jack. I still feel we suffer from not having a flag for Northern Ireland is bad; we only have a flag that is obsolete and out-dated.

I had a great idea for a flag for Northern Ireland. See, the new Northern Ireland is about peace between the nationalist/republican and Unonist/Loyalist traditions. So I thought we could have a flag that is green, white and orange to symbolize both traditions and the peace between them.

Eh... wait. Maybe we do have far more in common with the rest of Ireland than some thought! Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:32 am

red_stag wrote:Notch, I know nothing about his backgrounds or statements he has made. I'm a casual fan of golf and watched the tournament last night and Saturday and I just found myself feeling that way as I did.

I'm not a big golf fan either stag but I know he's from Holywood, Down. If he wore Tricolour underpants or Union jack pyjamas then it wouldn't change the enjoyment I've got from seeing him win and in the manner he has.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:34 am

Notch,

Maybe you could turn the colours the other way around?

Wait..........

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:34 am

I was posting this last night not my battery died while I was writing it, how can lee Westwood and Luke donald be considered the worlds best golfer (previous and current world number 1s) without winning a major??

The atmosphere around golf revolves around the majors and just as in tennis you are judged on how many of the big ones you've won. I just feel that you can't be regarded as the worlds best I'd you've not won one
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:37 am

roddersm wrote:
red_stag wrote:Notch, I know nothing about his backgrounds or statements he has made. I'm a casual fan of golf and watched the tournament last night and Saturday and I just found myself feeling that way as I did.

I'm not a big golf fan either stag but I know he's from Holywood, Down. If he wore Tricolour underpants or Union jack pyjamas then it wouldn't change the enjoyment I've got from seeing him win and in the manner he has.

clap

Very wise words. The truth is Stag isn't necessarily wrong. His point of view and gut feelings are valid and should be respected. But Rory is as much a product of Ireland and Irish sport as Stephen Ferris or even- dare I say?- someone like Darron Gibson in my view.

The relationship between Northern Ireland, Ulster, Ireland, Britain and Europe is an exceptionally complex one. But there is more that unites us than divides us. In sport, politics, economics- the two Irelands are intertwined and co-dependent. We should celebrate that relationship.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:37 am

It is the same as tennis, Hughie. Caroline Wozniacki is women's number one even though she's never won a Major.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:42 am

Just saw on facebook, Discover Ireland using that to talk about McIlroy and mention the golf courses up here in the North. Discover Ireland (the body set-up to promote tourism in Ireland, North and South) are an organisation that would get funding from both sides of the border to promote tourism on our island and if they can use someone like McIlroy as a draw, that would be wonderful.

It's been so nice to have this debate in a civilized and good humoured spirit Ale

Stag, don't feel we're all hounding you. You go ahead and feel whatever way you want to feel, so long as you're ok with Paddy Wallace starting at 12 in the RWC thumbsup
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:42 am

Just a point on the flag issue. G-Mac and Rory have both waved and stood behind the tricolour at the Ryder Cup and Rory has actually raised the same flag at certain ceremonies. Thats not to say he isnt Northern Irish but rather that it matters not to him

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:43 am

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:45 am

I'm not a big golf fan either stag but I know he's from Holywood, Down. If he wore Tricolour underpants or Union jack pyjamas then it wouldn't change the enjoyment I've got from seeing him win and in the manner he has. [/quote]

Spot on. Chuffed for Rory. At his age and the manner of which he won, dominating all 4 days. Especially after Augusta. A great achievment. I don't know what it is with the majors. I don't play golf and don't watch it on the telly, but when it comes to the big tourneys, I'm hooked. During the last Ryder cup I was a bag of nerves watching it! Erm
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:46 am

Its ok guys. I don't feel hounded at all. I fully appreciate that most people wouldn't feel as I do and I certainly won't be trying to change anyones mind.

I just see Northern Irish players as competitors the same way I would view their soccer team. Its not something that happens in rugby.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:48 am

Hobo there is no need to direct us to the golf page, this is what we do in here we talk mostly rugby but also whatever else comes up. We know the golf page is there don't worry Wink
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:49 am

Anyway, this isn't really a golfing chat. This is a sense of nationality discussion.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Suspicious lurker Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:49 am

Can anyone tell me a sport apart from football and athletics that Ireland is partitioned?
Suspicious lurker
Suspicious lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:56 am

hughie1986 wrote:Can anyone tell me a sport apart from football and athletics that Ireland is partitioned?

Athletics is partitioned sort of, but not really. I know first hand the two Athletics associations on the island co-operate a lot and that NI athletes often compete in all-Ireland competition. Many do go on to represent Ireland, some go on to represent the UK. Some of the Athletics NI youth programmes take in the three Ulster counties in the South with the full support of Athletics Ireland.

In football, players from NI are also eligible to represent the Republic of Ireland and actually it can cut the other way as well. Football is by far the most divided sport, rugby is amongst the least divided, but I do feel like sport- Irish Sport- is becoming more cross-border.

Even in football, they started up the Setanta Cup as a cross-border club competition. Go back a few pages and check out Gibsons post on irish sport. Says it all for me.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:57 am

hughie1986 wrote: how can lee Westwood and Luke donald be considered the worlds best golfer (previous and current world number 1s) without winning a major??

I can understand that viewpoint Huggy. I remember Greg Norman being asked in the 80’s how he felt about not yet winning a major. He said he wasn’t worried as loads of great golfers had not won majors. The interviewer asked him to name some – he couldn’t

The flip side, however, is there have been a few very ‘average’ golfers how have won majors. Here’s a few
The Open – Rogers, Lawrie, Hamilton, Curtis
Masters – Mize, Wier, Immelman
USPGA – Beem, Micheel, Brooks, Grady
US Open – Glover, Campbell, Jones, Simpson

The World #1 ranking is more a measure of consistently acheiving very good results , than anything else
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:59 am

Its like NZ haven't won a World Cup for 24 years yet are widely regarded as the best international team and have consistently been ranked officially as #1.

It brings up the age old discussion of "Does the best team always win?" to which I will always give a resounding No!
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:01 am

Ulster Rugby have officially congratulated Rory McIlroy;

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/9470.php

Check out the pic- two legends of Irish sport! Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:02 am

Notch, sure he bankrolls the team they had to Smile

At the time that picture was taken both were nobodies. Now one of them has proven their calibre. The other just needs to make the step up now Wink

Last edited by red_stag on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:02 am

Notch wrote:
hughie1986 wrote:Can anyone tell me a sport apart from football and athletics that Ireland is partitioned?

Athletics is partitioned sort of, but not really. I know first hand the two Athletics associations on the island co-operate a lot and that NI athletes often compete in all-Ireland competition. Many do go on to represent Ireland, some go on to represent the UK. Some of the Athletics NI youth programmes take in the three Ulster counties in the South with the full support of Athletics Ireland.

In football, players from NI are also eligible to represent the Republic of Ireland and actually it can cut the other way as well. Football is by far the most divided sport, rugby is amongst the least divided, but I do feel like sport- Irish Sport- is becoming more cross-border.

Even in football, they started up the Setanta Cup as a cross-border club competition. Go back a few pages and check out Gibsons post on irish sport. Says it all for me.

What page Notch? I've searched and can't see anything...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:05 am

This is it Mickado;

Gibson wrote:I know this may sound trite, but, as is my wont - I dont give a damn.

I love the fact that the 4 provinces are one in Rugby, golf teams, boxing et al. Sports we over-excel at for our size. We need Ulster. Ulster need us - in sport. It makes us so much stronger. Combine it and anything is possible. Imagine.

NOT politics - just Sport. A common human-bond that transcends all.
The whole of Ireland and all Paddies (North & South) - everywhere in the World - are with him
right now. Sharing in the pride for such a small island. I think that's beautiful.

Believe

Oh MY God! What a shot.

Right, I've really got to go now lads!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:06 am

red_stag wrote:
At the time that picture was taken both were nobodies. Now one of them has proven their calibre. The other just needs to make the step up now Wink

Thats harsh on rory stag! Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:14 am

Not much of a surprise that Matt Stevens has been included in England's World Cup training squad - he's still quality.

Mouritz Botha's been called up, too. He's fugly.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:14 am

I do genuinely wish we could have one soccer team. Both sides have the resources stretched too far on their own really.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:16 am

MBTGOG wrote:I do genuinely wish we could have one soccer team. Both sides have the resources stretched too far on their own really.

Agree.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next