The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Jeff means more to the English than the Rabid means to the Celts

+27
Feckless Rogue
nottins
nottins_jones
Pot Hale
beshocked
Totallybiasedscarlet
Mickado
HammerofThunor
Effervescing Elephant
TrailApe
Boyne
lostinwales
rodders
Notch
munkian
maestegmafia
ScarletSpiderman
BATH_BTGOG
red_stag
pete (buachaill on eirne)
robbo277
caoimhincentre
greybeard
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
PenfroPete
Thomond
Portnoy
31 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

The Jeff means more to the English than the Rabid means to the Celts - Page 5 Empty The Jeff means more to the English than the Rabid means to the Celts

Post by Portnoy Wed 13 Jul 2011, 11:57 am

First topic message reminder :

Being based on a league system (and I can't speak for the French), Jeff supporters have always to live with both aspiration and desperation.

No trap-door for Rabid supporters in the event of ultimate failure is very humane and gives them perpetual hope - and provides a perpetual National development process plus pretty much a guarantee of elite European qualification.

So English (and French?) club players have to break their backs week in week out whilst Celtic players sit in their Noel Coward smoking jackets sitting stuff out.

But the desire of all fans of all nations to succeed is equal. But I suggest that ultimately, at the pointy end of international competitions, Jeff/T14 will go further than the Rabid.

(this post may be a bit provocative)

Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

The Jeff means more to the English than the Rabid means to the Celts - Page 5 Empty Re: The Jeff means more to the English than the Rabid means to the Celts

Post by Notch Thu 14 Jul 2011, 8:35 pm

But does that sell tickets, attract people to the game, does it make you want to win more? I don't see that it does.

If anything, it narrows the focus. Our system encourages coaches to take risks, both in throwing in young players and in style of play. I feel that gives us an advantage when it comes to test rugby. The Rugby of Fear will only take you so far. It allows coaches of struggling teams to plan long term as opposed to short term.

By the way, which do you believe?

The Jeff means more to the English than the Rabid means to the Celts

or

the desire of all fans of all nations to succeed is equal

This seems contradictory.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

The Jeff means more to the English than the Rabid means to the Celts - Page 5 Empty Re: The Jeff means more to the English than the Rabid means to the Celts

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 14 Jul 2011, 8:37 pm

Portnoy, wrong guy, I'm afraid - I feel much more passionately about the inequality placed on newly promoted teams like the Chiefs than I care about relegation. We're just enjoying the ride - first European experiences, Anglo-Welsh matches, not to mention the pleasure of hosting the big teams at Sandy Park

Braveheart

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Thu 14 Jul 2011, 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 14 Jul 2011, 8:38 pm

Besides, I think you are overstating your case. Are there significant penalties for getting the wooden spoon in the Six Nations? No. Would you be happy enough with that? Of course you wouldn't.

Same with the 'Pro12' and the bottom placings.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Jul 2011, 9:48 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:not to mention the pleasure of hosting the big teams at Sandy Park

Braveheart

Enough about the Dragons already.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5