The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland Team for 1st France Test

+25
GunsGerms
Feckless Rogue
the-goon
Feagh McHugh
ballroomhero
The Great Aukster
Jenifer McLadyboy
Pot Hale
Sin é
mrsuperclear
valjester
Boyne
Artful_Dodger
caoimhincentre
WillyGilly
Thomond
greybeard
C'mon You Irish
Mickado
Notch
Standulstermen
pete (buachaill on eirne)
rodders
MMC
MBTGOG
29 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Ireland Team for 1st France Test - Page 3 Empty Ireland Team for 1st France Test

Post by MBTGOG Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:05 am

First topic message reminder :

15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/ Leinster)
14 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
13 - Keith Earls (Thomond/Munster)
12 - Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/ Ulster)
11 - Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/ Leinster)
10 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
9 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster) Captain
6 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
7 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
8 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)

Replacements:
16 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon/ Munster)
17 - Tony Buckley (Sale Sharks)
18 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
19 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
20 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/ Munster)
21 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
22 - Felix Jones (Shannon/ Munster)

Last edited by MBTGOG on Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Ireland Team for 1st France Test - Page 3 Empty Re: Ireland Team for 1st France Test

Post by Boyne Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:06 pm

And it looks like Kearney will be the No. 1 FB in the squad.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Ireland Team for 1st France Test - Page 3 Empty Re: Ireland Team for 1st France Test

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:06 pm

15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/ Leinster)
14 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
13 - Keith Earls (Thomond/Munster)
12 - Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/ Ulster)
11 - Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/ Leinster)
10 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
9 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster)
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster) Captain
6 - Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
7 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
8 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster)

Replacements:
16 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon/ Munster)
17 - Tony Buckley (Sale Sharks)
18 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
19 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)
20 - Conor Murray (Garryowen/ Munster)
21 - Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
22 - Felix Jones (Shannon/ Munster)

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:07 pm

Interesting selections, but overall I like the team. Some much needed game time, a steadier front row, Cullen & DOC... tasty, back row still not doing it for me but better this time round.

Oh and very happy for Murray.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:07 pm

Thank God Trimbles not in the center... Whistle

Delighted to see Earls at 13 and O'Brien at openside to see how that goes.

No idea why Kidney plays Reddan with ROG and TOL with Sexton but hey ho, you can't have it all.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:08 pm

Surprised Leamy was picked but we do need to check out options at no8. We have another lineout option in Ryan but don't know if he will do enough at the breakdown. A decent team besides that,also I have nothing against Paddy I was just joking.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:08 pm

It's a pretty good team. I'm seeing most of what I wanted. I'm a little surprised Bowe and David Wallace aren't involved, I suppose the plan must be to see them get gametime in the last two matches.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:08 pm

Notch wrote:
Thomond wrote:It's better than Paddy Wallace...

Paddy Wallace does retain his place. I imagine he'll be dropped after this regardless of whether he plays brilliantly, abysmally or anywhere in between. He needs to get gametime at 10 so he should play there versus Connacht.

I wouldn't say he'll be dropped, he'll definitely be rested though. Quite looking forward to seeing how he and earls go together. Even though with rog at 10 and david wallace not playing they'll have a lot of defending to do.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm

No Sexton on the bench so Paddy's going to get his chance to shine at out half....should be interesting. Conor Murray will be getting his first game for Ireland at some point too.

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:10 pm

Can Sean O'Brien actualy do one of his primary jobs as a backrow on Saturday. His breakdown work will be interesting to watch as will his tackle count and how he will protect ROG.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:11 pm

Oh by the way the French will slaughter our back row.

Leamy is not a great No. 8, Ryan is not an effective back rower and SOB is not a fetcher and is being played out of position.

France by 25.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:11 pm

Also I think it is fair to say that murphy and duffy aren't in the running at fullback at this stage. Looks likely that kearney will go and jones will probably get the next game to see if can persuade kidney to take two full backs otherwise earls will cover 15.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:12 pm

Boyne wrote:Oh by the way the French will slaughter our back row.

Leamy is not a great No. 8, Ryan is not an effective back rower and SOB is not a fetcher and is being played out of position.

France by 25.

Wasn't everybody saying that last week as well about our back row?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:12 pm

valjester wrote:Also I think it is fair to say that murphy and duffy aren't in the running at fullback at this stage. Looks likely that kearney will go and jones will probably get the next game to see if can persuade kidney to take two full backs otherwise earls will cover 15.

Yip. Clear as day.

+1.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:13 pm

MBTGOG wrote:

France by 25.

We are playing France this week, not Scotland. And I certainly wasnt one of those people. Mark my words. If France click we will be slaughtered.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:13 pm

Thomond wrote:Surprised Leamy was picked but we do need to check out options at no8. We have another lineout option in Ryan but don't know if he will do enough at the breakdown. A decent team besides that,also I have nothing against Paddy I was just joking.

Yeah, I know Thom! laughing

I take that as a given. I hope he does play well though. Really, the more I see a player take stick the more I want him to succeed. I don't like fans who throw abuse at players. Sometimes I've been a hypocrite when it comes to that though, but hopefully I'm not too bad. But I don't think he will play well. I don't think O'Gara works well with another playmaker outside him. Wallace and ROG have had a fair bit of gametime together and never really gelled as a partnership.

Ryan at 6 is the guy with the most to prove in my opinion. That's a very versatile, dynamic loose trio he's up against. I'd say he'll need everything he's got to rise to this.

I'd say the guys picked twice in a row are all pretty likely on the plane.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:14 pm

mrsuperclear wrote:No Sexton on the bench so Paddy's going to get his chance to shine at out half....should be interesting. Conor Murray will be getting his first game for Ireland at some point too.

Yeah, massive congratulations due to Murray on potentially his first cap.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

mrsuperclear wrote:No Sexton on the bench so Paddy's going to get his chance to shine at out half....should be interesting. Conor Murray will be getting his first game for Ireland at some point too.

That's a good spot, which suggests that Earls will play the full 80min at 13 and McFadden will probably come in at 12 after 60min.

It looks like Donnacha Ryan has got one foot on the plane as the 4th lock/ Backrow cover.

Maybe I have been too harsh on Kidney and he has a bit of a plan afterall Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

roddersm wrote:

No idea why Kidney plays Reddan with ROG and TOL with Sexton but hey ho, you can't have it all.

Simple. Because they don't play together at club level and need to play a bit together.

Fail to prepare. Prepare to fail. Wink

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

I like the look of that team. a lot.

Ireland by 94+

How is it going to go tactically lads? I can’t see ROG pinging the corners and looking to dominate at the set piece, he doesn’t like to be pigeon holed as that type of player. I can see us running the ball a good bit.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:17 pm

Boyne wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:

France by 25.

We are playing France this week, not Scotland. And I certainly wasnt one of those people. Mark my words. If France click we will be slaughtered.

Isn't that the same with most teams when playing France? Anyway, does a player like Lakafia really worry you?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:17 pm

valjester wrote:Also I think it is fair to say that murphy and duffy aren't in the running at fullback at this stage. Looks likely that kearney will go and jones will probably get the next game to see if can persuade kidney to take two full backs otherwise earls will cover 15.

Murphy is injured and is due to start the next game I read somewhere.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:18 pm

Hope we do run the ball. Our attack was the area of the game that needed most work from the Scotland match. I think a centre partnership of Wallace/Earls is only ever going to impress if we get them a lot of ball.

Really what I would most like to see is our scrum being stable enough to actually give our backs room to launch some set plays off.

Last edited by Notch on Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:18 pm

When does the RWC squad have to be named - 7/8 days time latest? Or is it Aug 22nd latest?

Last edited by Pot Hale on Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:19 pm

Anyway, does a player like Lakafia really worry you?

If he were in a back row with Ryan and Leamy, no. But hes playing in the same team as Hairy Donkey and Thierry D.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:19 pm

Pot Hale wrote:When does the RWC squad have to be named - 7/8 days time latest?

In between the two final warm-up games. We'll know the final squad before we play England.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:19 pm

roddersm wrote:

That's a good spot, which suggests that Earls will play the full 80min at 13 and McFadden will probably come in at 12 after 60min.

It looks like Donnacha Ryan has got one foot on the plane as the 4th lock/ Backrow cover.

Maybe I have been too harsh on Kidney and he has a bit of a plan afterall Wink

I think Sexton played the full 80 last week, so its likely ROG will do the same this week.

I also think Kidney is more likely to want to have ROG around if bringing on Murray for his first cap.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:20 pm

Alright Pot, CizzyRascal here.

August 22nd is the latest it can be named.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:20 pm

Sin é wrote:Simple. Because they don't play together at club level and need to play a bit together.

Sin your the man with the stats. Tell me how many games has ROG started alongside TOL for Munster vs the other SH's over the past few seasons?

If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd be thinking that ROG doesn't like playing alongside TOL and is trying to sabotage Sexton by landing him with the SH who least suits his style of play.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

meas mór amach go dtí Conor Murray alright.
The days of taking uncapped players to the WC are well and truly over!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:22 pm

McFadden could easily come off the bench and play on the wing.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:22 pm

roddersm wrote:If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd be thinking that ROG doesn't like playing alongside TOL and is trying to sabotage Sexton by landing him with the SH who least suits his style of play.

...what?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:23 pm

roddersm wrote:
Sin é wrote:Simple. Because they don't play together at club level and need to play a bit together.

Sin your the man with the stats. Tell me how many games has ROG started alongside TOL for Munster vs the other SH's over the past few seasons?

If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd be thinking that ROG doesn't like playing alongside TOL and is trying to sabotage Sexton by landing him with the SH who least suits his style of play.

Laugh

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:25 pm

roddersm wrote:

Murphy is injured and is due to start the next game I read somewhere.

He played for leicester last monday. He came off after 55 minutes so he is back playing.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:27 pm

MBTGOG wrote:

Thanks - MBTGOG/CR. Found it in the meantime. Curious to see if that puts safety padding on the English match for the players. Does Kidney only put RWC30 players into that match, or does he fill it with those not travelling? And for the RWC30 players who do play, do they mince around the pitch avoiding injury?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

Notch wrote:
roddersm wrote:If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd be thinking that ROG doesn't like playing alongside TOL and is trying to sabotage Sexton by landing him with the SH who least suits his style of play.

...what?

You heard it here 1st.... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:29 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:

Thanks - MBTGOG/CR. Found it in the meantime. Curious to see if that puts safety padding on the English match for the players. Does Kidney only put RWC30 players into that match, or does he fill it with those not travelling? And for the RWC30 players who do play, do they mince around the pitch avoiding injury?

I don't think they will try to avoid injury but it is a good point that Kidney is under no obligation to play RWC30 players in that game, which would go against the assumption of most in here who believe he will play his strongest side in that game.

In saying that though, I still believe he will.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Ireland Team for 1st France Test - Page 3 Empty Irish team v France released

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:30 pm

Not loving the back row. French have some new youngfellah starting in theirs. Would have liked to see SOB at 8. Perhaps moving to 7 when Heaslip came on.

Earls starting at 13 is a good idea I suppose, we have feck all experience behind GOD. I hope we get a look at Ferg at 12 with the same team around him as Paddy, because neither of them stood out last week.

Just edited it and merged it into an already existing topic

MBT

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:31 pm

Thomond wrote:Can Sean O'Brien actualy do one of his primary jobs as a backrow on Saturday. His breakdown work will be interesting to watch as will his tackle count and how he will protect ROG.

DOC is usually the top tackler internationally.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:32 pm

It looks like Stringer has dropped off the radar and it's between Murray and Boss for the final SH slot?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:33 pm

Sin é wrote:
Thomond wrote:Can Sean O'Brien actualy do one of his primary jobs as a backrow on Saturday. His breakdown work will be interesting to watch as will his tackle count and how he will protect ROG.

And?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:35 pm

I'd say not too many of DOCs tackles are made in the 10-12 channel Sin.

I'd also say ROG and Wallace are going to be in for a busy evening when they have the ball.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:37 pm

roddersm wrote:

Well, if ROG is trying to get rid of O'leary, he hasn't got anywhere so far. His best chance of losing O'Leary will be the progression of Conor Murray!

O'leary has started about 3 out of 4 games for Munster when involved in the matchday 22. Since O8, he has started every HCup game that he has been fit for. ROG usually starts all HCup games.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:38 pm

DOC is an immense tackler his workrate is akin to that of a backrow but SOB will have to do a lot of work on Saturday and I don't know if he can.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

Congrats too to Leo for retaining the captains armband.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:40 pm

Notch wrote:I'd say not too many of DOCs tackles are made in the 10-12 channel Sin.

I'd also say ROG and Wallace are going to be in for a busy evening when they have the ball.

I don't think ROG-Wallace-Earls will work. I predict that the ball will get aimlessly shipped to the outside channels or we'll be forced to kick the ball away.

We've actually gone 1 step forward and two steps back. If we'd have stuck with Sexton then that would have been an exciting combo. Unless ROG is going to stand flatter than he has in the past few seasons that midfield could struggle. I hope I'm wrong though.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:50 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
Sin é wrote:

And?

Ireland usually have two players tackling (the now infamous 'gang tackle'), so SOB will have someone helping him. DOC & Rory Best were really very good at it in the England game.

The reference to DOC was he made now infamous comment about playing with ROG was like playing with your little sister - you have to look out for him (or some words to that effect).

Last edited by Sin é on Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 11 Aug 2011, 1:51 pm

With David Wallace not involved at all and SOB having to play the full 80, it looks as though Kidney has decided on his two 7s. Wallace will get most of the remaining time available at openside in the home games so I can't see Jennings making the plane with maybe only a 20 min sub appearance.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by ballroomhero Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:06 pm

Is this game JUST on RTE? Any ideas for GB-based viewers?

ballroomhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Feagh McHugh Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:08 pm

SOB was usually Leinsters top tackler in the Heino Cup - he will be fine.
I actually like the look of the backrow, wouldnt be my first choice obviously but I will be interested to see have it functions as a unit all the same

Feagh McHugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 11 Aug 2011, 2:11 pm

ballroomhero wrote:Is this game JUST on RTE? Any ideas for GB-based viewers?

It's on BBC Wales as far as i know. Not even on RTE. that's a trip to the pub for me. hate that! Yahoo

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next