The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

France team vs Ireland team

+16
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
dublin_dave
Feckless Rogue
clivemcl
Rory_Gallagher
geoff998rugby
Standulstermen
WillyGilly
Adam
SecretFly
pete (buachaill on eirne)
rodders
Notch
eirebilly
brennomac
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

France team vs Ireland team Empty France team vs Ireland team

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:03 pm

France

Clement Poitrenaud; Vincent Clerc, Aurelien Rougerie, Wesley Fofana, Julien Malzieu; François Trinh-Duc, Morgan Parra; Jean-Baptiste-Poux, Dimiti Szarzewski, Nicolas Mas; Pascal Pape, Yoann Maestri; Thierry Dusautoir, Julien Bonnaire, Imanol Harinordoquy.

Replacements: William Servat, Vincent Debaty, Lionel Nallet, Louis Picamoles, Julien Dupuy, Lionel Beauxis, Maxime Mermoz

mo1

Ireland

R Kearney; T Bowe, K Earls, G D'Arcy, A Trimble; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Best, M Ross; D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell; S Ferris, S O'Brien, J Heaslip.

Replacements: S Cronin, T Court, D Ryan, P O'Mahony, E Reddan, R O'Gara, F McFadden.
Leprechaun

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

France team vs Ireland team Empty Re: France team vs Ireland team

Post by brennomac Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:06 pm

No disrespect to Szarweski and Bonnaire, but I'm happy from an Irish point of view that Servat and Picamoles aren't on the starting French XV

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:10 pm

Poitrenaud for Medard the one injury-enforced change, Bonnaire over Picamoles a non-injury-enforced change. Think it's a better balanced backrow with those 3 (or by swapping Hairy-donkey for Picamoles), and Picamoles was quiet by his own standards vs Scotland. Surprised that Szarweski keeps his slot over Servat - but when Servat and Debaty come on (around the 50min mark), expect Ireland's scrum to go into reverse maybe, much the same as Scotlands?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:11 pm

No Picamoles? That brings a pretty broad smile to my face Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:37 pm

Sacrificing ball carrying for a lineout option- smart move.

Meanwhile, here is Declan Kid- uh, I mean Gerry Thornleys justification for picking the same team again for Ireland.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0228/1224312480474.html

Seems to be under the impression that we can have O'Brien AND Ferris carrying the ball in the wide channels, but someone is going to have to hit a few rucks as well.

Last edited by Notch on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:39 pm

Yep that will be the team then.

How is it a smart move Notch, assuming you are refeering to Picamoles move to the bench?
I would have thought that France would need a ball carrier like Picamoles against Ireland.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:43 pm

eirebilly wrote:Yep that will be the team then.

How is it a smart move Notch, assuming you are refeering to Picamoles move to the bench?
I would have thought that France would need a ball carrier like Picamoles against Ireland.

Because their lineout has been utterly shambolic and we have some very good lineout operators. It's an area that Ireland will be looking to target and France need to be winning more ball there than they have done. They've picked another great lineout operator in Bonnaire who can help take the pressure off the locks and hooker by providing more options.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:47 pm

Persoanlly i think that France's lineout issues are mainly with the throwing. I cant remember how many times he was too long or too short against Scotland.

I can understand the thinking behind it but i am not sure that Picamoles should have been sent to the bench and believe that is a very positive thing for Ireland.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:50 pm

Picamoles was poor enough against Scotland.

I'm convinced Thornley actually picks the team anyways so we can assume it will be as -you-were from us unless O'Brien is injured.

I think if we lose this Kidney has to go at the end of the 6N. >= 2 losses again is just not good enough.

We'll have to be miles better than last week but I'll go for Ireland by 2..... Leprechaun
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:51 pm

I thought that Picamoles was pretty good on Sunday if i may be honest.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:53 pm

..Dusitoir was unbelievable again though against Scotland...25 tackles! We have to shut him down somehow. I'm convinced he's a cyborg or something...

Part man, part machine... all flanker ...the future of ruck enforcement is here! Shocked

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:55 pm

It gives them 4 very good options in the lineout now (pape, maestri, bonnaire, harinordquoy) and Dusatoir if needed as an option.

I know in my head I was try to think how Ireland could commit the midfield and get the French wingers to come up and join the line and kick the ball in behind them with a strong chase but aiming for touch.

I was thinking Ireland should employ screens behind maybe Darcy and a forward for earls/Kearney to recieve. Give that reciever an option of passing out wide to Bowe, trimble and Kearney/Earls so that the winger has to come up to cover the men outside and letting that deep reciever of the screen pass play a low kick in behind the upcoming French winger.

Now that the French have gone for a 4th lineout option I'm much less confident in us being able to win their lineout ball. Not sure where we can attack the French now, maybe at the ruck, maybe close to the fringes by using a short passing game and blindside wingers.

I was really hoping they'd keep Picamoles myself despite his ball carryng and breakdown work.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:55 pm

Dusitoir, is something else. He really is (in my opinion) the best rubgy player on the planet right now.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:55 pm

Ireland had alleged lineout advantages against Wales. Did we use that advantage?

I'm not so certain it'll be a kicking for territory game...I'm not so certain Ireland know how to play that game anymore.... I'm not sure it would be the best one anyway.

We're just going to have to do a Scottish game on France but be more clinical and more aggressive. A game of pauses and stops and saunters to lineout positions will run down the clock, kill tempo and play into the hands of the masters of modulated speed bursts.

I think our bonus might be Foley bringing something new to the party as regards O'Brien, Heaslip and Ferris.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Pete, they have added one extra lineout option and lost a good ball carrier.

I cant see the problem as being soley the lineout options as nthe other three options have been failing as well. To me its majorly down to the throwing. I am really happy that Picamoles is on the bench as he can be a very damaging player.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:59 pm

eirebilly - completely agree. If France were looking to fight fire with fire then surely Picamoles is exactly the type of player they need in their backrow?

That said, I've always rated Bonnaire....will be interesting to see how this change is reflected in the type of game they try to play...

Adam

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:01 pm

France's defence has been shocking so far fly...we need to keep the ball in hand... definitely not a game for territorial kicking!

Pick and go through the middle...Scotland got a lot of joy there when they had quick ball.

France don't have great team spirit right now and will crumble if they are forced to defend for long periods.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:05 pm

Bang on Adam OK

rodders, Ireland should study exactly what Scotland did in the first half.

This is not the game for Connor Murray i feel and Sexton must be told to have a go.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:16 pm

roddersm wrote:France's defence has been shocking so far fly...we need to keep the ball in hand... definitely not a game for territorial kicking!

Pick and go through the middle...Scotland got a lot of joy there when they had quick ball.

France don't have great team spirit right now and will crumble if they are forced to defend for long periods.

Now we're talking! I genuinely hope these players are going through this week relaxed and confident that they can pull this off - because the truth is, they can. There is nothing in this only psychology.

Yes, the French have some great players but on evidence in the last few years, not such a great team. So we're equal on that one. They are an International side - not invincibles. We have to believe we can beat them at home or else there is practically no reason to show up in New Zealand later on in the year.

The self belief must be resolute or else the players who don't actually believe need to be dropped. I would actually love to see one or two erratic youngbloods on the bench for a final solution if need be. I'll say it again _ Kearney or Zebo to introduce some youthful fearlessness in a second half that might have run out of ideas.

It won't happen but we need some explosive choices on the bench in future games. If Wales and Scotland are forced to trust them - then we too can show trust.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:20 pm

eirebilly wrote:Pete, they have added one extra lineout option and lost a good ball carrier.

I cant see the problem as being soley the lineout options as nthe other three options have been failing as well. To me its majorly down to the throwing. I am really happy that Picamoles is on the bench as he can be a very damaging player.

Agree the throwing has been bad. But a bad throw is much easier to take if you are not being contested. It is much harder to contest if you have to track an extra lineout option.

I think with the backrow change they have made we have to opt for ball in hand stuff. In a way i'd almost like Darcy to swap places with O'Brien or Ferris. If we can get SOB and Ferris running at the wider channels we can make more yards and recycle quicker hopefully sucking in more defenders to both the contact and ruck. Leaving the likes of Darcy for example (who is quick enough to get to the ruck first but not quick enough to go around/by Rougerie) to hit the ruck and let Sexton, Kearney, Bowe/Trimble get around the corner to exploit the space created.

Patience is going to be key I think as well as bringing that pace and intensity. If we aren't going anywhere we need to slow it down and begin to build up the momentum again. Trying to hard or kicking it away to a set French backfield is pointless.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:21 pm

I agree having a game breaker on the bench is wise should it be needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:26 pm

It just seems to me that no matter what options the French put in the lineout it will fail unless the throw is good. Adding one extra option will not make that much of an impact to me. What they have lost is a great ball carrier and defender (yes i feel Picamoles is a better defender than Bonnair).

I think the loss outweighs the gain for France in this.

This will ofcourse backfire on me when France's throwing improves by Sunday Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Fly this is not a great French side... on paper yes but nothing like the side which pipped us to the title so many times in the noughties...

Scotland and Italy opened their defence quite easily and we should to, if we get quick ball.

Their defence around the fringes was particularly poor and we should really take them on there with Murray,Heaslip, POC, Healy and Ferris and then use O'Brien and Trimble in the wide channels. Ferris and O'Brien should target Trinh-Duc too.

The biggest challenge is going to be at the scrum and beating Dusitoir to the tackle area.

The support play needs to be much better too as Trimble and Bowe were isolated a few times against Italy when looking for support runners.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Having watched Scotland and Italy's performances against France rodders, do you feel that this is a good game to start with Murray? I would have thought that Reddan would have been the more logical choice to partner Sexton.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:35 pm

Heading to the gym lads so I'll be watching here for some prompt team reporting. Even though we all know there'll be no change. Still Deccie could surprise us...

Probably not though...
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:40 pm

eirebilly wrote:Having watched Scotland and Italy's performances against France rodders, do you feel that this is a good game to start with Murray? I would have thought that Reddan would have been the more logical choice to partner Sexton.

Split on that one Billy. Reddan was much better against Italy and we looked much better when he came on... however in theory this is a game for Murray because of his physical edge against Parra and ability to attack the fringes. His service needs to be a lot quicker though.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Redden might be the spark we needed after half time...but would he be the spark that would sustain us through two halves?

I like the idea of first Murray and then Redden...I think the momentum that combination could induce, when handled well, would keep the steam engine fueled with coal and dancing on the railtracks.

The only issue is handling Murray properly. We can't use him to soften up or to breakdown (in other words keeping the pace slow but solid and drifting across to field to let each French man know what it feels like to get hit by the Irish battering ram).

The French don't rightly care about all that stuff... just use Murray in the exact same way we use Redden - to aid his flyhalf in finding room to exploit spaces. Never mind hitting the French to let them know they are in a game, just by-pass them if you can and go for the line that clocks up points.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:11 pm

Have to say I won't read the Irish times as long as thornley is writing for them. I can get whathe says off the IRFU website or the IRFU press conferences from kidney, small, kiss etc.

He should be the PR guy for the Irish rugby team not a reporter. Is the Irish team confirmed today?

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:12 pm

I am also a little split rodders and i must admit to liking Flys idea of Murray first half and Reddan second half (well on 50mins).

I am actually confident Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Thornley hasn't announced when he'll be letting the IRFU rubber-stamp his team selection yet. They await his call. This is exciting!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:14 pm

SecretFly wrote:Thornley hasn't announced when he'll be letting the IRFU rubber-stamp his team selection yet. They await his call. This is exciting!

laughing
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:15 pm

It's on now. I'm on the iPad so can't get the stream

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:19 pm

same starters same bench

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:21 pm

For me, France are best defending at close quarters, so not sure the pick and go will work the best against them. Bonnaire is also, imo, a much better defender than Picamoles (just look back to the RWC, him and Dusautoir together are defensively outstanding).

Lineout if it wobbles like it did against Scotland, well POC could have a field day there. You've got to beware their counter rucking though. This is where they hurt Scotland, and they destroyed Wales in last years 6N's when our only recognised 7 went off injured.

They won't be as dangerous with turnover ball now that Medard is out, but you can't offer them free ball. They will hurt you.

Ireland have all the attributes to beat them, tis just whether you guys get it right on the day, and are able to change your tactics during the game if your original ones aren't working.

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:22 pm

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that such a thing should occur Shocked

alternatively

Tumbleweed

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:23 pm

Can't agree that Bonnaire is a better defender than Picamoles. Although Picamoles was very quiet in attack against Scotland, his defence was fantastic.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:25 pm

Kidney has just blown my mind...

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:26 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that such a thing should occur Shocked

alternatively

Tumbleweed

It is a depressing time to follow the Irish rugby team. Good luck to the lads though.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Look on the bright side Henry will be in an Ulster shirt on Friday now.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:27 pm

I know Picamoles was v good, I just think Bonnaire is just as good/if not better and works better with Dusautoir too.

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:28 pm

I honestly rate picamoles as a better defender than Bonnair dreamer.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:33 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Look on the bright side Henry will be in an Ulster shirt on Friday now.

Very true Geoff thumbsup

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:35 pm

I shall have to agree to disagree with you all then! Smile I will confess I've not seen as much of Bonnaire this season, but going on the world cup, he impressed me far more than Picamoles.

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:38 pm

SecretFly wrote:Thornley hasn't announced when he'll be letting the IRFU rubber-stamp his team selection yet. They await his call. This is exciting!

I'm convinced Thornley is just the IRFUs PR man... he gets the inside track on the team on the basis he puts a positive spin on all the selections to brainwash the public into believing Kidney has picked the logical and best side once the team is released.

George Hook then does the reverse, complains about the selection on the basis that most people will disagree with him and thus agree with Kidney.

Its classic good cop bad cop stuff. The whole lot of them are IRFU puppets.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:41 pm

Picamoles is top class right now. Against Scotland he shown that he isn't only an attacking monster, but a defensive rock. Though I do wish he shown more in attack in that game. Harinordoquy isn't as good as Picamoles right now, nor are many 8s that I can think of. Plus I'm just bitter that Picamoles isn't starting and I am unable to change my fantasy league team mad

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:41 pm

I'm always amazed at Thornley's consistent defence of Kidney and insistence that he's a great coach, despite all the losses.

Wasn't Thornley one of EOS's biggest critics? And yet he pretty much won't criticize Kidney.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:41 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I shall have to agree to disagree with you all then! Smile I will confess I've not seen as much of Bonnaire this season, but going on the world cup, he impressed me far more than Picamoles.

Headscratch

Is this another one of those reverse thingies your trying dreamer? Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:45 pm

I couldn't say.

Now if Bonnaire ends up playing rubbish, I shall of course, take all the credit for it Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:47 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I'm always amazed at Thornley's consistent defence of Kidney and insistence that he's a great coach, despite all the losses.

Wasn't Thornley one of EOS's biggest critics? And yet he pretty much won't criticize Kidney.

Did he get his teamsheets right back in the day? Anybody know? My guess is he asked for an inside line from O'Sullivan and O'Sullivan told him to................................... Yes, O'Sullivan can use bad language - we all saw it in action as he sat on Paulie's shoulder during Paulie's big heroic "Fear of God" speech Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:55 pm

Gerry thornley is a poor journalist end of debate, an absolute yes man. That nonsense article about the leinster v munster game turned me against him. He looks like someone you would find chained to a tree in the glen of the downs

He was always bashing eddie but heralds deccie in every article. Of course both have their stregnths and weaknesses but correct me if im wrong Eddies win % was higher.

anyway on to saturday. no real issue with team selection. as said above someone needs to have a word with murray to remind him what the basic role of a scrum half as in not an auxilary flanker to pick and drive around the fringes but to control the pace of the game and get good service to sexton. he can do it just needs a reminder. If he does not head this expect to see Reddan in the 2nd half again. donners and darcy the contentious calls but both did ok on saturday.

we simply have to start well against them and ask them questions from the off. We cannot aimlessly kick the ball away to them and invite them on to us. If we give them 65% posession they have the pace power and skill to score tries against us.

If we get an early try and a lead and silence the fickle Paris crowd we can win there. If we fall behind early i cannot see it happening. Even if we come back at them they will have their dander up and will win handy

Would be happy with a decent performance even in defeat.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next