The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster v Dragons Game Discussion

+25
Irish Curry
LordDowlais
Seagultaf
Sin é
Standulstermen
Taffineastbourne
glamorganalun
Cymroglan
Artful_Dodger
MBTGOG
Shifty
Cari
Luckless Pedestrian
Notch
valjester
bedfordwelsh
BlueMuff
GavinDragon
Jenifer McLadyboy
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Thomond
greybeard
rodders
Rava
red_stag
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Munster v Dragons Game Discussion - Page 3 Empty Munster v Dragons Game Discussion

Post by red_stag Thu 01 Sep 2011, 3:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

Munster Team to play Newport Dragons:

01 Marcus Horan
02 Mike Sherry
03 Stephen Archer
04 Billy Holland
05 Mick O'Driscoll
06 Peter O'Mahony
07 Niall Ronan
08 James Coughlan
09 Peter Stringer
10 Ian Keatley
11 Denis Hurley
12 Lifeimi Mafi
13 Danny Barnes
14 Doug Howlett
15 Johne Murphy

16 Damien Varley, 17 Wian du Preez, 18 John Hayes, 19 Dave Foley, 20 Tommy O'Donnell, 21 Tomas O'Leary, 22, Scott Deasy, 23 Simon Zebo

Have to say very happy with that team. Ian Nagle misses out through injury. Should be fit by next game.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Munster v Dragons Game Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Dragons Game Discussion

Post by greybeard Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:13 am

red_stag wrote:I like Mafi, always have really. I think he's limited in many ways but is an asset at club level. Yes he has got a bit of form again and I think will have a good season. He's been at Munster quite a while - he has over 100 caps for Munster and been here now 5 years.

I've always liked Mafi but he hasn't been the same player compared to when he had Tipoki beside him, he seems to suit the lieutenant role.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Munster v Dragons Game Discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Munster v Dragons Game Discussion

Post by red_stag Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:15 am

Oh I'd imagine we'd keep him another 2 seasons or so. He's still in his 20s so we'll get another bit out of him. I'd rather Howlett leave before he does - Howlett turning 33 years old next week.

Wingers we have - Simon Zebo, Keith Earls, Denis Hurley, Johne Murphy. Centres are tough to come by and Mafi has been here a while.

Ian Keatley recently said Mafi was the best guy he'd ever trained with. Asking him questions about what he likes to do and telling Ian what he does and maybe they could or should do this when linking up etc.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:17 am

red_stag wrote:
roddersm wrote:I only caught bits of this game but I was very impressed with Coughlin. Ronin looked to have had a good game too for Munster. I thought Stringer looked sharp too and Keatley looked classy with the ball.

Both Barnes and Mafi scored very good trys. How do people feel they went overall? Does Barnes have international potential? Hes seems to know where the try line is anyway.

I'd be amazed if Barnes made it internationally. Maybe a few caps when there's injuries or a Lions tour but I think the likes of Spence, McFadden, Earls and maybe Cave will see more gametime than him at 13.

Showing signs of being an excellent squad player. Its early days yet.

This totally baffles me - how can you dismiss such a young talent so early on in his career when everything he has done in the short period of time at this level has shown so much promise. I also remember you dismissing Archer at the start of last season as well. Maybe I have taken you up wrong.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:18 am

Sin é wrote:
red_stag wrote:Hi all,

Poole looks a nice player. Him and Brew are a pair of very abrasive wingers.

Sin regarding the ref, he wasn't actually that poor, just very pedantic and showed a lack of empathy for the game. Quite hard to argue against any calls he made - by letter of the law he was correct.

But a better referee would have had the teams in no uncertain terms where they stood. O'Mahonys yellow card was bizarre and came from nowhere; the others were fine no complaints.

I think Munsty said it earlier, it wasn't that he didn't know how to ref, rather he knew a little too well.

I'd disagree with your (& Munsty's) last point. I'd say he knew the rules well, but didn't know how to ref.

Actually thats not a bad way of putting it. To be honest I've no sympathy for Munster, we should have been able to see that this is the way he is and adapted to suit. Thats what we used to do and its a mark of a top team. We've had Roman Poite (similar style) enough times to know better.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:24 am

To be honest it took many games before Munster figured out how to play with Poite on the pitch, and few of the players at the weekend have played in the HEC matches Poite usually takes charge of.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:25 am

BlueMuff wrote:
red_stag wrote:
roddersm wrote:I only caught bits of this game but I was very impressed with Coughlin. Ronin looked to have had a good game too for Munster. I thought Stringer looked sharp too and Keatley looked classy with the ball.

Both Barnes and Mafi scored very good trys. How do people feel they went overall? Does Barnes have international potential? Hes seems to know where the try line is anyway.

I'd be amazed if Barnes made it internationally. Maybe a few caps when there's injuries or a Lions tour but I think the likes of Spence, McFadden, Earls and maybe Cave will see more gametime than him at 13.

Showing signs of being an excellent squad player. Its early days yet.

This totally baffles me - how can you dismiss such a young talent so early on in his career when everything he has done in the short period of time at this level has shown so much promise. I also remember you dismissing Archer at the start of last season as well. Maybe I have taken you up wrong.

Blue I'm not dismissing him. I think that the Irish national setup is a very closed shop and some guys are just great club players. Ian Humphreys has NEVER represented Ireland despite playing well for Tigers and Ulster for years. Shane Jennings can literally count his caps on his fingers despite having played such prominent roles with Leinster and Leicester. Trevor Brennan captained Toulouse to a Heineken Cup - in fact he played in 3 Heineken Cup finals in a row winning two of them - he finished his career with 13 caps.

Brian O'Driscoll isn't going to immediately retire. I'd imagine what we'll see when BOD isn't playing is more of Keith Earls playing there, Fergus McFadden playing there and Nevin Spence playing there.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:26 am

I thought Mafi was pushing 30? It's good to see him playing well again as he seemed to lose his way after Tipoki left.

Stag I wouldn't be too keen to lose Howlett. On last years form he's still one of the best wingers in Europe and a guy who can bring on the young players. I think he's awesome and has been one of the best foreign signings to come to Ireland. I think he has at least 2 more seasons in him at the top level.

There's still some debate about Earls moving the centre so Munster don't have that many options on the wing. Zebo looks a good prospect but is unproven. Hurley is a good player but seems very injury prone.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:33 am

Stag it is tough out there and its a position with serios competition, however this really is the challenge for him.

If he can nail 13 down for Munster and form good partnership with Maifi or indeed another 12 then surely a starting HC place has to be his target for this year.

Once he establishes himself as Munster first choice 13 then International caps will not be far aware. A lot still to happen before then Im hopeful.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:35 am

Mafi turned 29 a month ago. Howlett turns 33 next week,.Howlett has definitely been one of best ever imports. Im not keen to lose him just being sensible about it. He's said he's more than likely retiring in May 2012 anyway. I don't see a 35 year old Doug Howlett being better than Hurley, Zebo, Murphy and Earls in 2 years. However a 30 year old Mafi could still do it in 2 years.

red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:40 am

I obviously meant 31. Really I can add 2+29 Whistle
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 05 Sep 2011, 3:25 pm

I thought the referee had a good first half and then just went against everything he was doing well in the second.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 05 Sep 2011, 4:24 pm

MBTGOG wrote:I thought the referee had a good first half and then just went against everything he was doing well in the second.

Most teams say that all they ask of a ref is consistency. He wasn't consistent.

Also, your making allowances for him as an inexperienced ref - how about a few allowances being made for an inexperienced and young captain.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Mon 05 Sep 2011, 5:07 pm

Firstly I didn't make allowances for him being inexperienced. I didn't say he was good overall either just that his first half was good.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 05 Sep 2011, 5:56 pm

Sin é wrote:
MBTGOG wrote:I thought the referee had a good first half and then just went against everything he was doing well in the second.

Most teams say that all they ask of a ref is consistency. He wasn't consistent.

Also, your making allowances for him as an inexperienced ref - how about a few allowances being made for an inexperienced and young captain.

I am sorry but if you reach Regional/Provincial level,no player is inexperienced with regards to respect of the Referee.Petulance and surly behaviour might be fine in footie but they have no place in Rugby.
May be a bit of an old git but I might have changed it to red if I was reffing.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3