The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs essex county championship division 2

+8
Tibor
simsini
thegooch7
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
Carrotdude
jbd349
jimbobgooner
12 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

surrey vs essex county championship division 2 Empty surrey vs essex county championship division 2

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 06 Sep 2011, 1:59 pm

Chris Adams has named an unchanged squad for Surrey's LV= County Championship match against Essex at Chelmsford, starting on Wednesday 7th September.
The full Surrey squad to play Essex at Chelmsford is:
Rory Hamilton-Brown (Captain)
Steven Davies (Wicket Keeper)
Mark Ramprakash
Zander de Bruyn
Tom Maynard
Jason Roy
Zafar Ansari
Gareth Batty
Chris Jordan 🤦 Sorry

Stuart Meaker
Pragyan Ojha
Tim Linley
George Edwards

and just for cricketfan Very Happy
Essex have named a 12-man squad for their final match of the season when they entertain Surrey at The Ford County Ground in the LV= County Championship.
Tymal Mills and Reece Topley are added to the side that were beaten by Kent last week, although Maurice Chambers is omitted.
Essex squad to face Surrey:

James Foster (7) (Captain & wicket-keeper)
Billy Godleman (34)
Tom Westley (21)
Owais Shah (3)
Jaik Mickleburgh (32)
Adam Wheater (31)
Ryan ten Doeschate (27)
Graham Napier (17)
David Masters (9)
Reece Topley (6)
Tom Craddock (20)
Tymal Mills (5)
i'm not sure if the number next to them is there average Wink

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 1:49 am; edited 4 times in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs essex county championship division 2 Empty Re: surrey vs essex county championship division 2

Post by jbd349 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 3:20 pm

Surely Jordan can't continue to play...

jbd349

Back to top Go down

surrey vs essex county championship division 2 Empty Re: surrey vs essex county championship division 2

Post by Guest Tue 06 Sep 2011, 3:23 pm

come on essex...

come on fossie and the boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 06 Sep 2011, 4:01 pm

Unless Edwards is going to replace the River then I think he'll play again. I still think he has it in him to be a decent bowler for us but at some point he has to start producing results. Hopefully the weather will be OK but I'm not too hopeful.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 4:02 pm

It's a shame that Dunn's injured, just when we need him to be playing

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 06 Sep 2011, 4:11 pm

i wonder side what grayson will put out for us...

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 06 Sep 2011, 5:13 pm

Will either Gaffer or Boy George replace River?

The question, of course, relates not to what we would do but to what Adams will do.

I have absolutely no idea!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:43 pm

Anyone know what sort of pitches they get these days at Chelmsford?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:05 pm

I don't think he'll change a winning team and River will play...............by play I mean score no runs, take no wickets...........the usual!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 06 Sep 2011, 10:24 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Anyone know what sort of pitches they get these days at Chelmsford?

My guess is that the Chelmsford groundsman is trying to produce pitches with a bit of something for all.

The leading wicket taker in the Championship is Essex seamer David Masters with a mightily impressive 86. He'll be supported in the match against us by the pace and seam of Napier and probably Topley (Mills is also in their twelve man squad although I think he'll be the one to miss out). Add to that the medium pace of ten Doeschate. However, they've also got a young leggie Tom Craddock who debuted a couple of months ago and has played well taking over 20 wickets. It would be surprising if the pitch didn't offer some encouragement to him as well as to the quicker stuff.

Given the above, Adams may well stick with the winning team last time out. He could well feel that there's no need to add Ansari's slow bowling to that of Ojha and Batty. I know many on this board would prefer Edwards to Jordan. However, Jordan is potentially the better batsman and has to take a wicket sometime - surely?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by simsini Tue 06 Sep 2011, 11:38 pm

Is Tom Jewell injured? Thought he might have had a chance by now.

simsini

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:07 am

Simsini - No, the Jeweller isn't injured. He's currently involved (if the rain stops!) in a friendly 3 day seconds game against Middlesex. He's really been an unlucky victim of our excellent CB40 campaign and end of season promotion push. I'm sure he would have got a few games if we hadn't stayed in contention in both these competitions.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:34 am

thegooch7 wrote:I don't think he'll change a winning team and River will play...............by play I mean score no runs, take no wickets...........the usual!
Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:26 am

thanks jimbob for writing the essex side in Smile..

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:19 am

Essex won the toss and Surrey will bat
Surrey again start with only 10 men

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:24 am

If the Essex team listed on cricinfo is correct, they have A LOT of batting for us to get through, especially if "River" doesn't start to turn things around.

Ten Doeschate isn't a bad number 7 to have !!, we have Batty to put that in perspective...

and we saw first hand what Napier at number 8 can do down at Whitgift earlier in the season.

As expected, Surrey are unchanged.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 10:27 am

Reece Topley misses out for essex

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:13 am

1,000 first class runs for the hyphen clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:29 am

54 for 3 mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

67 for 4 roy & wine gums left to save us now Crying or Very sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Wed 07 Sep 2011, 12:07 pm

on a positive note,

If Roy can get through this innings with a respectable score, than it wil be an important step in his development.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:09 pm

141 for 5 at lunch looks like we have lost this game in the very 1st session of the match Sad lets hope i'm proved wrong Erm

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:17 pm

god grief now roy gets out to buffet bowler westley Headscratch Sorry

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:21 pm

not sure cricinfo is right on that one jimbob,

I missed the wicket on comms myself, but I think I heard Churchy say that Roy had been caught by Westley but off Napiers bowling.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 1:25 pm

tibor you was right they have now changed it. the fact still remains that as before when we played kent with stevens now napier we should never be losing our wkts to these bowlers in 4 day cricket.

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Wed 07 Sep 2011, 2:24 pm

its fair to say that River "Gordon" (as the essex commentator keeps saying) has already surpassed expectations for this match.

very important runs these, the main factor in our last few CC losses has been a meek surrender in the first innings. Batty and River are doing their best not to repeat this.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:06 pm

another wkt for napier 🤦

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:36 pm

244 for 7 at tea

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by simsini Wed 07 Sep 2011, 3:48 pm

Jordan now the top run scorer in the innings! Cool

Hopefully we can scrape through to 300. Would be a very good total on this wicket.

simsini

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:03 pm

50 for river Shocked

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:06 pm

2nd batting point reached Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:20 pm

breaking news: Zander de Bruyn has signed a two year extension to his contract at Surrey County Cricket Club. clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:21 pm

thats great news.

credit where credit's due, the Brain was an excellent signing by adams.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 4:56 pm

now meaker who had a top score of 13 this year and a average of 4.11 is batting well what the hell is going on? Headscratch

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 5:09 pm

87th wkt for masters clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 5:21 pm

300 up 3rd batting point in the bag Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 5:27 pm

and river goes for 71 clap
and 5 wkts to that demon bowler napier 🤦

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 5:38 pm

315 all out
6 wkts for napier give me strength 🤦

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 5:42 pm

come on essex.... well bowled napier Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 5:47 pm

sorry cricketfan but you have let us off the hook there from being 94 for 5 to getting over 300 with the way our tail has been playing all year i think you might regret it Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:10 pm

i know we have mate, but a great effort from napier to get 6 wickets Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:27 pm

Congratulations to Napier, Meaker, Batty and River on their good days. The top order once again showed no desire to stick around in a tough situation which is a shame, although I think I'm more disappointed in the 3 older heads for not contributing more. 315 isn't a bad score after being put in to bat, it's more than we got in the win against Northants after all. A lot of pressure on the Viscount in the first innings to take wickets but hopefully Jordan and Meaker have got some confidence from their batting. If we can keep them to under 300 then we have a chance to set them a challenging target and set Ojha loose on them in the 4th innings.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:28 pm

By all accounts, a very good first innings total in difficult conditions.So good to see our tail wag for once - that's what I was on about last time out, Carrot. Well done in particular to River. surrey vs essex county championship division 2 1710857839

Tremendous that we put the country's leading wicket taker Masters in his place (one for plenty) but a shame we allowed Napier to fill his boots (a sixfer not too many). I think JimBob's earlier comments about Napier are a bit harsh. His main bowling problem over the last few years has been a dodgy back rather than a lack of pace and direction.

Hopefully, the weather will stay similar tomorrow and that the Viscount, Meaker, Ojha et al can cash in then. Maybe even a wicket for River? Wink

Surprised that the Brain bowled the last of our two overs tonight. Thought that would have belonged to Meaker or perhaps even Ojha. Anyway, let's not quibble about that. As others have said, great to hear of the Brain's contract extension.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:44 pm

following today's procedings every now & again... at work so couldn't spend too much time checking! A great day in the end for Surrey though looked most unlikely to get 3 batting points so well done to the River & Meaker in particular... forecast for tomorrow not great... gloomy & a bit of light rain so can't be certain of that much play but looking better for Friday & part of Saturday... even if we only draw & get 9 points, its still all to play for in the last match! - that 3rd batting point might just be the critical point in terms of our promotion push....You never know! Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 07 Sep 2011, 6:48 pm

Meant to say before - well done to the Hyphen for one thousand Championship runs this season. surrey vs essex county championship division 2 1710857839

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:06 pm

Yes, well played indeed skipper!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:32 pm

Having just seen the highlights it was good to see that none of our top order were out playing lavish drives outside off stump for once. Hyphen got a good yorker, Wine Gums LBW and Roy fenced one behind. Ramps either got a beauty or missed a straight one!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:44 pm

Carrotdude wrote:Congratulations to Napier, Meaker, Batty and River on their good days. The top order once again showed no desire to stick around in a tough situation which is a shame, although I think I'm more disappointed in the 3 older heads for not contributing more. 315 isn't a bad score after being put in to bat, it's more than we got in the win against Northants after all. A lot of pressure on the Viscount in the first innings to take wickets but hopefully Jordan and Meaker have got some confidence from their batting. If we can keep them to under 300 then we have a chance to set them a challenging target and set Ojha loose on them in the 4th innings.

ojha wont run through our side, our pitches dont usually turn much..

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:46 pm

All those people who doubted river I hope they feel proud of themselves Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:24 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:
Carrotdude wrote:Congratulations to Napier, Meaker, Batty and River on their good days. The top order once again showed no desire to stick around in a tough situation which is a shame, although I think I'm more disappointed in the 3 older heads for not contributing more. 315 isn't a bad score after being put in to bat, it's more than we got in the win against Northants after all. A lot of pressure on the Viscount in the first innings to take wickets but hopefully Jordan and Meaker have got some confidence from their batting. If we can keep them to under 300 then we have a chance to set them a challenging target and set Ojha loose on them in the 4th innings.

ojha wont run through our side, our pitches dont usually turn much..

Well if he doesn't get you then Batty's mystery ball surely will Very Happy

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next