The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs essex county championship division 2

+8
Tibor
simsini
thegooch7
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
Carrotdude
jbd349
jimbobgooner
12 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

surrey vs essex county championship division 2 - Page 4 Empty surrey vs essex county championship division 2

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 06 Sep 2011, 1:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

Chris Adams has named an unchanged squad for Surrey's LV= County Championship match against Essex at Chelmsford, starting on Wednesday 7th September.
The full Surrey squad to play Essex at Chelmsford is:
Rory Hamilton-Brown (Captain)
Steven Davies (Wicket Keeper)
Mark Ramprakash
Zander de Bruyn
Tom Maynard
Jason Roy
Zafar Ansari
Gareth Batty
Chris Jordan 🤦 Sorry

Stuart Meaker
Pragyan Ojha
Tim Linley
George Edwards

and just for cricketfan Very Happy
Essex have named a 12-man squad for their final match of the season when they entertain Surrey at The Ford County Ground in the LV= County Championship.
Tymal Mills and Reece Topley are added to the side that were beaten by Kent last week, although Maurice Chambers is omitted.
Essex squad to face Surrey:

James Foster (7) (Captain & wicket-keeper)
Billy Godleman (34)
Tom Westley (21)
Owais Shah (3)
Jaik Mickleburgh (32)
Adam Wheater (31)
Ryan ten Doeschate (27)
Graham Napier (17)
David Masters (9)
Reece Topley (6)
Tom Craddock (20)
Tymal Mills (5)
i'm not sure if the number next to them is there average Wink

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 1:49 am; edited 4 times in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs essex county championship division 2 - Page 4 Empty Re: surrey vs essex county championship division 2

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:49 am

Morning all my head is killing me 🤦

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs essex county championship division 2 - Page 4 Empty Re: surrey vs essex county championship division 2

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:50 am

Guildford - thanks - any drinks on hold until after this match. Shocked I'm going out shopping in the hope it may help us to take a couple of wickets....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:53 am

jimbobgooner wrote:Morning all my head is killing me 🤦

So you won't be joining the drinks in the officers' mess when we win this match then? Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:55 am

oi essex are gonna win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:56 am

thanks for the birthday wishes chris,corporal and gooch thumbsup
and well done corporal on 1,000 posts clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:57 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:Morning all my head is killing me 🤦

So you won't be joining the drinks in the officers' mess when we win this match then? Erm
make mine a strong coffee corporal Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:59 am

and well done cricketfan on 5,000 posts clap clap clap
that will take some catching Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:19 am

Remember the day..............
...........RIVER TAKES A WICKET!!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:22 am

thegooch7 wrote:Remember the day..............
...........RIVER TAKES A WICKET!!
that's it gooch i'm off for a lie down Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:33 am

and now another one
could man of the match be on the cards Shocked

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:34 am

After one of the most historical days in recent history...................yep Jimbobs birthday.............we now have the day River took a wicket....................OMG (as the kids say!) he's took a second!!!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:39 am

i do agree the former was the most important Whistle

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:50 am

The usual garbage now served up to Napier - need to get Nora and Le Pew on now

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

not napier again mad come on surrey

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:56 am

How about a yorker or slower ball Meaker?! - braindead bowling again

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:03 pm

Napier goes - terrible bowling, but that should be the end of it

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:04 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Napier goes - terrible bowling, but that should be the end of it
phew

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:07 pm

yes jordan gets his 4th wkt and surrey win Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:11 pm

river with career best figures of 4 for 57 clap clap clap
man of the match in the bag

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:13 pm

the 1st time since 2007 that surrey have won three championship games in a row

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:22 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:the 1st time since 2007 that surrey have won three championship games in a row

It feels like longer Jimbob! Rolling Eyes

By my maths, we're a point behind Northants
Two cup finals coming up then!! Yahoo

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

corporal sod the coffee i will take one for the team Very Happy
Ale guinness cider RedWine Bubbly

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:corporal sod the coffee i will take one for the team Very Happy
Ale guinness cider RedWine Bubbly

followed by vomit

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:25 pm

thegooch7 wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:the 1st time since 2007 that surrey have won three championship games in a row

who would have thought it gooch 2 cup finals in a week Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:35 pm

Absolutely tremendous - even though Napier tried to give us a fright! Well done, boys!

Most of the applause today will understandably be for Jordan who had a very successful morning and great match. surrey vs essex county championship division 2 - Page 4 1710857839 However, don't overlook the Viscount's continuing contribution. Another wicket today (70 and still counting!) giving him two fourfers in the match. Magnificent! surrey vs essex county championship division 2 - Page 4 1710857839

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:43 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Guildford - thanks - any drinks on hold until after this match. Shocked I'm going out shopping in the hope it may help us to take a couple of wickets....

That did the trick. Well done Surrey. Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly all round.... including Jimbob thumbsup

Sorry CF - Essex had no hope once the Surrey giant that had been dozing away for years suddenly woke up!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:48 pm

Anyone know how River actually bowled today - was he good or just having overdue change of luck?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:59 pm

no idea corporal to be honest.
right chaps i will have to love you and leave you i'm off to see if my other team can get there 1st win of the season and complete a excellent day either way i will see you all latter for drinks Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:29 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Anyone know how River actually bowled today - was he good or just having overdue change of luck?

Corporal - I missed a lot of the commentary but did manage to catch Churchy and the guy from Radio Essex summing things after the first hour. Churchy was very complimentary about Hyphen's captaincy in respect of Jordan's bowling. Jordan apparently started off and continued for quite some time bowling very well but unluckily went wicketless. Churchy said that most captains would have taken him off with a consoling pat on the shoulder but Hyphen stuck with him convinced his luck would change. It did as Jordan got his first two wickets. However, his line started to go as Napier ''went a bit mental'' (copyright Carrotdude 2011) and the view then was that he should come off. However, he bowled what might have been his last over anyway and got Naper chancing him arm once too often and Craddock (whose contribution to a ninth wicket stand of 53 with Napier was precisely none!) in successive balls.

All in all, a fourfer was probably a bit flattering but still just about deserved after all he's been through ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:41 pm

Thanks Guildford. I think he deserved a bit of luck...

I see Batty didn't bowl at all again, which suggests he's probably got some kind of injury.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:43 pm

thegooch7 wrote:

Well played chaps! clap

Pity it's not "three in a row and a bonus point", otherwise you'd be level.

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

Gloucs still snapping at your heels: 53 to win against Leics.

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

Chris - not sure if this is also a proxy Gloucs thread - but looks virtually certain that Gloucs will win today - which really would set up a finale to the season..... Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:53 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Chris - not sure if this is also a proxy Gloucs thread - but looks virtually certain that Gloucs will win today - which really would set up a finale to the season..... Shocked

Corporal - sorry to intrude on private glee, but I do believe Gloucs may have a little say in whether Surrey go up, or stay in division two (where you think they should stay to mature for another year..... )

Besides, you're all such nice folk to talk to. Hug

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:59 pm

Hug Indeed we are!

Chris - I was forgetting the scenario that if Gloucs capitulate woefully against Northants allowing them nearly full house of bonus points as well as win then Surrey could be gutted even if we win.

It all depends on the Gloucs team selection then - will you be selecting players who can bat for very long periods!? Erm

Maybe you should set up a poll for Surrey posters - do we want J Batty to be in Gloucs team to strengthen the batting..... Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:23 pm

ChrisfromStroud wrote:Pity it's not "three in a row and a bonus point", otherwise you'd be level.

It should also only be half points against pitiful Leics at this stage of the season!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Sat 10 Sep 2011, 3:39 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote: Hug Indeed we are!

Chris - I was forgetting the scenario that if Gloucs capitulate woefully against Northants allowing them nearly full house of bonus points as well as win then Surrey could be gutted even if we win.

It all depends on the Gloucs team selection then - will you be selecting players who can bat for very long periods!? Erm

Maybe you should set up a poll for Surrey posters - do we want J Batty to be in Gloucs team to strengthen the batting..... Very Happy

I presume you want "players" who can bat for long periods without actually scoring any runs ...

Hopefully, Lewie will be bringing him back up to London next season.

We'll keep with Coughtrie please!

I think we should ask Mr Jordan what Surrey fans know about team selection.

By the way, what happens if Derby get 24 points, and Surrey and Northants and Gloucs get no points in rained off draws but are deducted points for a slow over rate, ineligible players or a poor pitch?

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 10 Sep 2011, 6:11 pm

ChrisfromStroud wrote:

By the way, what happens if Derby get 24 points, and Surrey and Northants and Gloucs get no points in rained off draws but are deducted points for a slow over rate, ineligible players or a poor pitch?

Seems a fairly unlikely scenario Erm For a start teams would get 3 points in a rained off draw. And, if hardly any wickets fell, deductions for a poor pitch would be improbable. Likewise deductions for slow over rate. Erm

Or had you situation in mind in which J Batty opens for Gloucs leading to a complete stalemate with no runs or wickets.... Shocked

But if Northants, Gloucs and Surrey decide to engineer lots of points deductions for themselves than I suppose Derby would be promoted... After the stewards inquiry into unusual betting patterns. Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 10 Sep 2011, 6:15 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Anyone know how River actually bowled today - was he good or just having overdue change of luck?

Corporal - I missed a lot of the commentary but did manage to catch Churchy and the guy from Radio Essex summing things after the first hour. Churchy was very complimentary about Hyphen's captaincy in respect of Jordan's bowling. Jordan apparently started off and continued for quite some time bowling very well but unluckily went wicketless. Churchy said that most captains would have taken him off with a consoling pat on the shoulder but Hyphen stuck with him convinced his luck would change. It did as Jordan got his first two wickets. However, his line started to go as Napier ''went a bit mental'' (copyright Carrotdude 2011) and the view then was that he should come off. However, he bowled what might have been his last over anyway and got Naper chancing him arm once too often and Craddock (whose contribution to a ninth wicket stand of 53 with Napier was precisely none!) in successive balls.

All in all, a fourfer was probably a bit flattering but still just about deserved after all he's been through ....

Corporal - similar points made by Rampsismyhero in his blog on the wallpaper site.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 10 Sep 2011, 6:26 pm

Guildford - thanks. I was a bit surprised by Essex's generosity. Jordan scores a few runs and they name part of the ground after him. As Surrey website reports:

"Jordan bowled an excellent spell from The River End, beating the edge on a number of occasions, before finally making the breakthrough ....."

If he does the same again next week cue the headlines. "Jordan takes Surrey into the promised land...." Very Happy

I notice in Churchy's interview with Jordan there is no mention of contracts or next season.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Sat 10 Sep 2011, 6:26 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:

Or had you situation in mind in which J Batty opens for Gloucs leading to a complete stalemate with no runs or wickets.... Shocked

Corporal, I never have a situation in mind in which J Batty opens for Gloucs....

And thank you for clearing up the potential unusual betting patterns.
I know who my money is on. Erm

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Sat 10 Sep 2011, 6:30 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Guildford - thanks. I was a bit surprised by Essex's generosity. Jordan scores a few runs and they name part of the ground after him. As Surrey website reports:

"Jordan bowled an excellent spell from The River End, beating the edge on a number of occasions, before finally making the breakthrough ....."

If he does the same again next week cue the headlines. "Jordan takes Surrey into the promised land...." Very Happy

CHB laughing laughing
(That's one for each, Corporal!)

Last edited by ChrisfromStroud on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 10 Sep 2011, 7:43 pm

Brilliant for Jordan to get some wickets finally, like I said at the start of this thread I still think he has it in him to be a quality bowler for us. All we can do now is make sure we win our next game (weather permitting) and see where we are. As gooch says, 2 cup finals coming up!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:36 am

Ramps really going for it on Twitter, possibly explains some of the form he's been having and also account for the great bowling form of medium/fast bowlers like Linley and Masters in the second division. He said:

"Thought the pitch was poor with uneven bounce, like so many this season but that gave us the opportunity to get a result."

"So many times this year batsmen have never felt 'in' even after reaching 30. Due to Tiflex ball which must b changed & Juicy pitches."

"There is a feeling that batters should go out & chance their arm, take risks b 4 they get a good ball. That is not the art of batsmanship."

"Really feel for the young batters trying to make their way in the game. Tiflex ball & poor pitches could finish careers b 4 they even start!"

Possibly explains the approach of some of Surrey's batsmen this season although I have to say I much prefer lower scoring games that have lead to results like we've had in the second half of the season than the high scoring draws we have been used to over the years. A pitch where 300 is a good score doesn't seem too bad to me although I don't get the use of a different ball in each division of the CC, very odd.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep 2011, 10:24 am

Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:19 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:Sad

Hard luck cf about Essex. Tho' to be fair Surrey were in rare vein of red hot form Very Happy

I was also going to raise a similar question to Carrot about the balls used in Div. Superb though the Viscount has been this season especially in his consistent accuracy I am wondering whether the ball has got a bit to do with the results achieved by the likes of Masters, the Viscount, Murtagh in Div 2?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 11 Sep 2011, 12:41 pm

Different ball types are used in the two Divisions of the County Championship - is that correct? If so, seems ridiculous and bizarre. Guess that commercial and marketing reasons (ie money) are behind it.

There's a members' Q&A forum at the Oval after play on Tuesday which I'm planning to attend. I'll try to ask about this.

Please let me know if there are any other questions anyone would like asked. Can't promise to raise as the number of questions is normally limited but I'll try. As long as relating in some way to Surrey and not blatantly offensive, anything pretty much goes.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 11 Sep 2011, 1:12 pm

guildford can you ask about what happened to the likes of lancefield,king etc?

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Sun 11 Sep 2011, 1:24 pm

Guildford, can you ask if you want J Batty back?
Please.
Whistle

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 11 Sep 2011, 1:27 pm

Christ - I'm sure Guildford will give that question mature consideration and assign it an appropriate priority in terms of what he would most like to have feedback on ..... Laugh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next