The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiger takes the lead down under!

+25
monty junior
Hibbz
Rangiora
Doon the Water
erictheblueuk
Sand
KeizoYamata
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
gaelgowfer
Alsie
Shotrock
jeffkenna
Tiler76
navyblueshorts
MustPuttBetter
Lairdy
Doc
McLaren
kwinigolfer
Maverick
SmithersJones
Diggers
super_realist
Redrage
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Is he back?

Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 3 Vote_lcap16%Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 3 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]
Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 3 Vote_lcap13%Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 3 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 3 Vote_lcap71%Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 3 Vote_rcap 71% 
[ 22 ]

Total Votes : 31

Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 3 Empty Tiger takes the lead down under!

Post by Redrage Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:23 am

First topic message reminder :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/15689794.stm

Tiger Woods returned to form to hit a five-under-par 67 and establish the lead in the Australian Open.

The former world number one carded seven birdies and two bogeys to move to nine under in total on day two.

"It feels good to actually be there playing properly instead of slashing the ball all over the place," said Woods, who leads Australia's Peter O'Malley by one shot.

Woods, who started the day three shots behind overnight leader Jarrod Lyle, will have to maintain his form if he is to stay ahead of the chasing pack.

Local veteran O'Malley, 46, is one shot behind after carding a six-under-par 66, the lowest score of the day, with Australia's world number seven Jason Day a further shot back in third on seven under after a 68.

But all eyes will be on Woods to see if the 14-times major winner can maintain his lead.

Woods, who has dropped to 58th in the world, led the field during the final round of this year's US Masters.

But the last time he led at the end of a day's play was at his own Chevron World Challenge in December 2010, when he surrendered a three-shot lead on the final day.

"At Chevron I hit it with one shot," added Woods. "I hit basically a draw for the entire week. Right now I am able to move the ball both ways."

Starting at the 10th hole with a birdie, Woods picked up four more shots on the back nine before making his first bogey of the tournament at the third hole.

He responded immediately with a 25-foot putt at the fourth before dropping a shot at the sixth. But Woods picked up another shot with a stunning 280-yard approach which rolled onto the eighth green to set up a birdie.

Tiger Woods has not won a tournament since 2009 and has fallen out of the top 50 for the first time since he was a 20-year-old rookie in 1996

"I played well today," said Woods. "I could have been a little lower over my first nine holes. Even though I shot five under, it felt like it easily could have been eight or nine deep."

Day will celebrate his 24th birthday on Saturday looking to overhaul his idol Woods.

"He changed my life because I worked harder after I read his book. It is good to see him playing good golf again," said Day.

Overnight leader Lyle shot a 74 to drop to a tie for fifth on five under with four other players.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 3 Empty Re: Tiger takes the lead down under!

Post by NedB-H Sun 13 Nov 2011, 2:34 pm

If Jason Day has a problem winning, where does that leave Nick O'Hern?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 3 Empty Re: Tiger takes the lead down under!

Post by Rangiora Sun 13 Nov 2011, 7:02 pm

super_realist wrote:Rang, how do you know he wouldn't have made bogey? Just because you hit the fairway or hit it in a more favourable spot doesn't mean you automatically will make par.

No it doesn't. I often quote my brother " I was 150 yards out a stone cold birdie and I made 7 !!)

But in this case his drive on 11 was in sand and half buried, did well to advance it to fairway about 15 yards forward and on 13 ( short par 4 ) his drive plugged in the water hazard, hack out, just short of green and chip lips out.

The way his game was yesterday was that had he been on the fairway on both of those holes he'd of made par.

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 13 Nov 2011, 7:30 pm

In some ways then rang, you have to say his course management is perhaps more of an issue than his driving. He's choosing to hit a club that will out him in regular trouble. See, I knew he was mental.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Sun 13 Nov 2011, 7:49 pm

Yup I'd agree with that, wish mine was better too Very Happy Very Happy

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 13 Nov 2011, 7:54 pm

It's common sense, of which Woods repeatedly demonstrates he has very little, perhaps it's an American trait to be gung-ho and go for Hollywood shots whenever they present themselves, but I think he would have already won more than 18 majors if he'd exercised a bit more of thought and considered the risk of the shot. Thankfully he isn't great in that department so reaching that milestone now looks mercifully unlikely.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Mon 14 Nov 2011, 11:59 am

gaelgowfer wrote:Tiger Woods - 75 ... six shots off the lead.

Perhaps they should re-name it "moving backwards day". devil

Seems the greens were a lot faster and he kept leaving it on the high side.

If nothing else, this will hopefully shut keizo up for the time being.

The aussies have certainly moved up from down under. drumroll

Isnt it funny people like you only come to run their mouth when they think its safe to make a prediction? Where were you when he was leading? Tiger coming third and having his best result shut up? Stick around for 2012, a real bad year for the Anti Tiger sanctimonious groupies. You cant take the heat - stay in the kitchen!

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:03 pm

So Keizo, Woods best result of the year comes in the weakest field he has played since he won this tournament two years ago.
Yes, progress indeed. So in two years, he's become less successful in this tournament than the last time he played in it.

If people can't take the heat, why would they stay in the kitchen? Sort your proverbs out. Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:15 pm

super_realist wrote:So Keizo, Woods best result of the year comes in the weakest field he has played since he won this tournament two years ago.
Yes, progress indeed. So in two years, he's become less successful in this tournament than the last time he played in it.

If people can't take the heat, why would they stay in the kitchen? Sort your proverbs out. Laugh

Weakest field with 4 of the top players in it? A lot better than the junk being played on the *Cough* Dubai tour held in Singapore.

Good thing we have Chveron coming up but then again the excuses would be fun to read Smile

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:17 pm

Ha ha, I hope you are joking, the Chevron (and Nedbank too) are joke invitational tournaments and not worth commenting on. It's like Bradley claiming the World Competition held in Bermuda as a worthy "win".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:23 pm

KeizoYamata wrote:
You cant take the heat - stay in the kitchen!
Headscratch

Hilarious! Keizo, I think you are counting your chickens before your turkey has been cooked.

To be fair, this was not a weak field. Although there was a long list of unknown journeymen aussies (men at work?) there were some top players in the field too.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:33 pm

As I mentioned before, the storm clouds are indeed gathering for the Woods haters. His game is clearly on the rise. Best finish for all of the US Pres Cup players. TW obviously more comfortable with his swing. Perhaps it's a British trait to "over think" the situation? Rolling Eyes

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:36 pm

Perhaps Shotrock, but a reminder that we have seen these false dawns many times before.
I don't think there is any doubt that Woods will probably return to be a competitive player again. I think what is in reasonable doubt is that most people don't think he'll ever be the same player that he once was.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SetupDeterminesTheMotion Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:41 pm

The only reason Tiger has been picked is to boost audience figures.

Simples.....
SetupDeterminesTheMotion
SetupDeterminesTheMotion

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:44 pm

Yawn.....

Firstly what is clear despite what any Tiger Sycophant is saying about the 2nd coming of the messiah, is yes this is a great deal of an improvement on the guy that limped out of Sawgrass. But what cannot be hidden and his scores thos week alone prove is that he cannot put 4 rounds together at the moment. Even a level par round on the 3rd day would have given him a one shot victory! Regarldess of whther the field is top class or full of journeymen you have to be able to hit 4 good rounds or at least 3 exceptional and one average and he's not doing that yet!

Even if he wins the Chevron that isn't him being back it maybe the start of a comeback but until he is playing regular competitive golf on tour against those that are establishing themselves up the rankings and posting high finishes it cannot be argued that he is back!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Mon 14 Nov 2011, 12:45 pm

in fairness the Aussie Open had a pretty good field and is definitley not the worst field he has played in since 2009. remember that frys open thing he played about a month ago at freddies request?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Mon 14 Nov 2011, 1:07 pm

super_realist wrote:Ha ha, I hope you are joking, the Chevron (and Nedbank too) are joke invitational tournaments and not worth commenting on. It's like Bradley claiming the World Competition held in Bermuda as a worthy "win".

Oh so we have gone from not so strong fields to strong field but not strong because they were invited therefore they wont play well Laugh

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Mon 14 Nov 2011, 1:08 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
KeizoYamata wrote:
You cant take the heat - stay in the kitchen!
Headscratch

Hilarious! Keizo, I think you are counting your chickens before your turkey has been cooked.

To be fair, this was not a weak field. Although there was a long list of unknown journeymen aussies (men at work?) there were some top players in the field too.

You guys are too slow - I wont explain my underlying message Wink

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Mon 14 Nov 2011, 1:16 pm

KeizoYamata wrote:

Isnt it funny people like you only come to run their mouth when they think its safe to make a prediction? Where were you when he was leading? Tiger coming third and having his best result shut up? Stick around for 2012, a real bad year for the Anti Tiger sanctimonious groupies. You cant take the heat - stay in the kitchen!

Not only do you not know yer proverbs, it seems you don't even understand the word "prediction". I haven't even taken part in the poll!

In so far as the above post is concerned I merely stated facts based on what had already happened but if you go back to a previous post I made on this thread you will note that when the scumbag took the lead I did make a sort of prediction that he would still struggle to come back given the physical and mental baggage he was likely still to be carrying.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Mon 14 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:
KeizoYamata wrote:

Not only do you not know yer proverbs, it seems you don't even understand the word "prediction". I haven't even taken part in the poll!

In so far as the above post is concerned I merely stated facts based on what had already happened but if you go back to a previous post I made on this thread you will note that when the scumbag took the lead I did make a sort of prediction that he would still struggle to come back given the physical and mental baggage he was likely still to be carrying.

I know my proverbs I just preferred if you did not stay out of the kitchen. kiss

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Mon 14 Nov 2011, 2:32 pm

Shotrock wrote:As I mentioned before, the storm clouds are indeed gathering for the Woods haters. His game is clearly on the rise. Best finish for all of the US Pres Cup players. TW obviously more comfortable with his swing. Perhaps it's a British trait to "over think" the situation? Rolling Eyes

Its fun to watch them in desperation - dont worry 2012 we are taking over this forum Very Happy

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 14 Nov 2011, 2:38 pm

Who is "we"?

"The Tiger Woods Glory Hunting Conglomerate" :- membership: TWO Laugh

Why don't you leave your "gloating" until he's actually done something. Remember there was a false dawn in The Masters, look what happened the rest of the year.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3