The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tiger takes the lead down under!

+25
monty junior
Hibbz
Rangiora
Doon the Water
erictheblueuk
Sand
KeizoYamata
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
gaelgowfer
Alsie
Shotrock
jeffkenna
Tiler76
navyblueshorts
MustPuttBetter
Lairdy
Doc
McLaren
kwinigolfer
Maverick
SmithersJones
Diggers
super_realist
Redrage
29 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is he back?

Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 2 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]
Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 2 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 2 Vote_lcap71%Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 2 Vote_rcap 71% 
[ 22 ]

Total Votes : 31

Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 2 Empty Tiger takes the lead down under!

Post by Redrage Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:23

First topic message reminder :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/15689794.stm

Tiger Woods returned to form to hit a five-under-par 67 and establish the lead in the Australian Open.

The former world number one carded seven birdies and two bogeys to move to nine under in total on day two.

"It feels good to actually be there playing properly instead of slashing the ball all over the place," said Woods, who leads Australia's Peter O'Malley by one shot.

Woods, who started the day three shots behind overnight leader Jarrod Lyle, will have to maintain his form if he is to stay ahead of the chasing pack.

Local veteran O'Malley, 46, is one shot behind after carding a six-under-par 66, the lowest score of the day, with Australia's world number seven Jason Day a further shot back in third on seven under after a 68.

But all eyes will be on Woods to see if the 14-times major winner can maintain his lead.

Woods, who has dropped to 58th in the world, led the field during the final round of this year's US Masters.

But the last time he led at the end of a day's play was at his own Chevron World Challenge in December 2010, when he surrendered a three-shot lead on the final day.

"At Chevron I hit it with one shot," added Woods. "I hit basically a draw for the entire week. Right now I am able to move the ball both ways."

Starting at the 10th hole with a birdie, Woods picked up four more shots on the back nine before making his first bogey of the tournament at the third hole.

He responded immediately with a 25-foot putt at the fourth before dropping a shot at the sixth. But Woods picked up another shot with a stunning 280-yard approach which rolled onto the eighth green to set up a birdie.

Tiger Woods has not won a tournament since 2009 and has fallen out of the top 50 for the first time since he was a 20-year-old rookie in 1996

"I played well today," said Woods. "I could have been a little lower over my first nine holes. Even though I shot five under, it felt like it easily could have been eight or nine deep."

Day will celebrate his 24th birthday on Saturday looking to overhaul his idol Woods.

"He changed my life because I worked harder after I read his book. It is good to see him playing good golf again," said Day.

Overnight leader Lyle shot a 74 to drop to a tie for fifth on five under with four other players.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 2 Empty Re: Tiger takes the lead down under!

Post by McLaren Fri 11 Nov 2011, 16:15

Super

You seem to be confusing what you would do and captains pick as the same thing.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Tiger takes the lead down under! - Page 2 Empty Re: Tiger takes the lead down under!

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 16:19

Isn't that the whole point of a discussion Mac? If all we did was agree with whatever was written or reported without question we might as well just read The Guardian and not bother with a forum.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 11 Nov 2011, 16:24

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:Diggers, I would pick Poulter if he was in decent form and had been playing regularly, Woods has been doing neither.

Thats a complete cop out of an answer. Its a simple question, if the RC team was being picked now would you pick Poulter ?

How is it?
Would I pick Poulter now? I doubt it, Would I even pick Garcia now? again probably not, but he'd be deserving of more consideration surely than Woods or Poulter.

Fine, it took a bit of getting there. But I still think you'd pick him...........

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 16:26

I think the European game is too strong at present with form players to consider those in mediocre form but who have Matchplay pedigree, perhaps the US team is less well served.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 11 Nov 2011, 16:34

Im not sure Id say the Europeans have that many players in prime form.
In the OWGR top 12 you have McDowell, Poulter, Casey, Karlsson, and Rose. All have had very patchy form.
When I look further down I see a lot of decent players but I dont see anyone ripping up trees.
Id say its much the same with the Americans to be honest. What they lack is the strength at the very top. The rest of the sides to me would be much of a muchness.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 16:40

None of those players are in the top 12 Digs?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 11 Nov 2011, 16:47

Sorry, meant to say they are all in the top 12 of Europeans on the OWGR list.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 16:51

Pretty sure there are more doing better than the top 12 Yanks of which Jesus Simpson is the only one really doing anything of note. Perhaps Bradley and Haas if you go back far enough.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 11 Nov 2011, 17:00

I really dont think there is much to choose between the depth of squads. I certainly dont think its that easy to pick a European top 12 but I wouldnt say thats based on the fact that so many players have had wonderful years, more that a lot of good players have had average years (ones I mentioned plus the likes of the Molinaris and Fisher). Two of the better players this year have been Dyson and Bjorn, both of whom I like, but they will hardly strike terror into any opponents.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 17:36

I think Noren is going to be a really good player, whilst if mannasero can regain a bit of modesty and deflate his head a bit I think he'll come good.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 11 Nov 2011, 19:33

One other comment about this tournament ... the course looks really fantastic. Love the natural waste areas and the bunkering.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Fri 11 Nov 2011, 20:56

kwinigolfer wrote:Woods would take a win against the blind school right now, it's almost as if any sort of win is what he craves.
He looks to have enjoyed a favourable draw (the Friday morning "wave") with the wind picking up pretty much as he finished, the afternoon wave scores

Favourbale draw? Obviously complete nonsense again with your Tiger bashing and bias. Did you know that he got the bad draw on Thursday afternoon with the blustery winds which were even worse than Fridays conditions? Of course you did but you thought you'd sneak it in that he got the favourable draw and make out he had an advantage over half the field with regards to his lucky draw Rolling Eyes

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Fri 11 Nov 2011, 21:00

super_realist wrote:Without any Europeans Diggers (19 of which make up the top 50), it's clear it's a pretty depleted and poor quality field in comparison to PGA or European Tour events. There are some good players in there, but it's mostly people who aren't even household names in their own household.

However a win would still be a win (or W has he so shiversomely refers to them as)
My money is on a third or fourth round collapse and a local "no mark" coming up with the goods. Fingers crossed. I don't think I could bear a Woods win, even in a rubbish tournament like this. The forum would be flooded with soothsayers, johnny come lately's, lickspittles and glory hunters.

Without Tiger you would have nothing to talk about. How else can we read your daily sanctimonious drivel. laughing

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 Nov 2011, 21:12

Keizo,
Merely reflecting what I saw last night and on this morning's leaderboard. He obviously still had to beat half the field which, so far, he's done quite handily.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Fri 11 Nov 2011, 21:13

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Shot, that was point SR was trying to make. Even though Sergio won back to back events people are still saying it is too early to say he is truly back.

I think it is the same thing with Tiger, he's put good rounds in before and then disappeared. Time will tell, whether he wins this week or doesn't isn't going to change my opinion; it's too early to tell if he is properly back. Let's see him playing good golf in a full schedule against full fields and see when he stands then.

Funny if he wins he is still not back despite the fact that the many like SR have said Tiger would never win a tournament and that he is finished. When Tiger starts shaping his shots he is back. I saw him do it 2 days in row, something he has not been able to do for 2years. We have been here before twice when he had swing changes and you people still need proof? Dont compare this to sergio whose dip was more of a mental thing just like Els, Duval and many others, which in itself is the hardest thing to overcome. Tigers problem was the swing change and injury. He has dealt with the injury and he has got in some good practise with the swing and is now hitting shots he used to hit before and even further than ever with his new swing. Out-driving Dustin Johnson by up to 40yards is no easy thing.

Move over Luke 'Mr Arrogant' Donald let a multiple Major winner come back to his rightful spot.

2012 the year of the Tiger!! Yahoo

I

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by KeizoYamata Fri 11 Nov 2011, 21:16

kwinigolfer wrote:Keizo,
Merely reflecting what I saw last night and on this morning's leaderboard. He obviously still had to beat half the field which, so far, he's done quite handily.

The question is why you mentioned he had a favourable draw when it was obvious he played in worse conditions on Thursday afternoon, much worse than Friday Afternoon. You just could not help yourself that's why.

KeizoYamata

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 11 Nov 2011, 21:20

Tiger's problem was going out to Perkins (other chains may apply) and having second helpings of the waitress and not the breakfast. Plus of course the aftermath. (I'm assuming he cared about that, give him the benefit of the doubt.)

keizo,
My only poiint about the conditions is based upon the scoring. Perhaps you'd care to review the facts.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 11 Nov 2011, 21:34

It's sweet, Keizo, that you feel the need to respond to every post you feel offends your beau but really, you two aren't married. Maybe you should give someone else a go. How will you know he's the one for you if you've not experienced anyone else? Plus you know he can't be trusted. Bless....
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 21:38

KeizoYamata wrote:
1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Shot, that was point SR was trying to make. Even though Sergio won back to back events people are still saying it is too early to say he is truly back.

I think it is the same thing with Tiger, he's put good rounds in before and then disappeared. Time will tell, whether he wins this week or doesn't isn't going to change my opinion; it's too early to tell if he is properly back. Let's see him playing good golf in a full schedule against full fields and see when he stands then.

Funny if he wins he is still not back despite the fact that the many like SR have said Tiger would never win a tournament and that he is finished. When Tiger starts shaping his shots he is back. I saw him do it 2 days in row, something he has not been able to do for 2years. We have been here before twice when he had swing changes and you people still need proof? Dont compare this to sergio whose dip was more of a mental thing just like Els, Duval and many others, which in itself is the hardest thing to overcome. Tigers problem was the swing change and injury. He has dealt with the injury and he has got in some good practise with the swing and is now hitting shots he used to hit before and even further than ever with his new swing. Out-driving Dustin Johnson by up to 40yards is no easy thing.

Move over Luke 'Mr Arrogant' Donald let a multiple Major winner come back to his rightful spot.

2012 the year of the Tiger!! Yahoo

I

Sergio more of a mental thing? Ha ha, now you really are getting absurd. Woods troubles are at least 50% mental,, probably more mental than any other player in the game, unfortunately for him, he's not in the same league in ball striking as Garcia, hence why he's found the physical element of the game so hard to recapture.

Here's some news for you, golf tournaments take place over 4 rounds, not two.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 21:45

KeizoYamata wrote:
super_realist wrote:Without any Europeans Diggers (19 of which make up the top 50), it's clear it's a pretty depleted and poor quality field in comparison to PGA or European Tour events. There are some good players in there, but it's mostly people who aren't even household names in their own household.

However a win would still be a win (or W has he so shiversomely refers to them as)
My money is on a third or fourth round collapse and a local "no mark" coming up with the goods. Fingers crossed. I don't think I could bear a Woods win, even in a rubbish tournament like this. The forum would be flooded with soothsayers, johnny come lately's, lickspittles and glory hunters.

Without Tiger you would have nothing to talk about. How else can we read your daily sanctimonious drivel. laughing

As if by magic............ Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 11 Nov 2011, 21:45

It's absurd to put Sergio in the same "ball striking" league as Tiger.

It's like saying a hammer and nail are rivals. Guess who's the hammer?

In golf you "strike" the ball to get it in the hole in the fewest number of shots. Not for some sweet sound or shape. There are no style points on the scorecard. Sergio, a fine pro. Tiger, a dominating pro. Big difference.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 21:54

SR, I know you are a Woods fan and I am not but almost every journalist, presenter and pundit has Garcia as one of the best ball strikers of his generation, certainly better than Woods, even in his prime.
Ball striking helps your consistency, hence Garcia's superb GIR stats, Woods for two years has lacked precisely that striking which has put him in the scoring zone. He used to have it, but has been nowhere near that for ages.

If he's such a great ball striker, where has it been for two years?, or has he only just started striking it well in the last two rounds?
Everything about Woods which you say is great has been absent for two years, you are talking about something he once might have been, not what he is now. It's like saying Paul Scholes IS a great midfielder because he once was, but he hasn't been for a couple of years, so how does that make him great now?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 11 Nov 2011, 22:04

Don't know why I am bothering but here goes, Keizo, some simple maths or would you prefer math. If:

2 wins doesn't equal a player being back

therefore it must also mean

1 win doesn't equal a player being back

Hope this makes sense for you but, here's a clue just in case: 1 is less than 2

Just so this doesn't appear as a bullying post, Keizo I saw your very considered and rational post on the death of Luke Donald's father. Nice post

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 22:08

Grumpy, It's not even a win yet, it's 2 rounds in something that equates to a club medal, something so lowly it's not part of either tour.
That's not just scratching the bottom of the barrel, that's underneath it, but whatever makes him happy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 11 Nov 2011, 22:19

For the record I'm a BIG Sergio fan. To this day I'm surprised he never hoisted a major or won more tournaments.

But define "now". Really, this can be twisted an infinite number of ways. Today? Last month? Last two years? Last 10 years?

How about careers? They are close to the same age, so it's a pretty good comparison. Both Tiger and Sergio have been in the professional ranks for about the same length of time. Both have had hundreds of starts at top professional golf tournaments, including majors. Both are still in their prime golf years. Thus far, TW's record stands miles above Sergio's.

Applaud Sergio until the cows come home about his "ball striking". What Sergio lacked in comparison to Tiger was getting the ball in the hole in fewer shots over the course of a 72 hole tournament.

So, let me speculate ... who will have a better 2012? Head to head I would put money on TW over Sergio. But that's just me.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 11 Nov 2011, 22:33

In any sport, you are only as good as your last season/ranking period. Although personally,I don't go further back than a year, after all, how far back do you look at your own game?, you're wasting your time if it's more than a season.
With Woods, there is far too much living in the past. His last purple patch was a very long time ago.

Good for you that you pick Woods to have a better 2012, he may well do,not sure what you base that on other than blind optimism, although I don't think he will because I think he has lost his mental edge, regardless of his talent, he's nothing without it, well not nothing, but just another top 50 player. We've seen these false dawns in one or two rounds for the past two years, yet he's won sweet F.A. for longer than he ever has before. He might win the occasional tournament, perhaps even a WGC, but I can't see him being the dominant player again (thank goodness), tournament courses are becoming tighter, there is a greater premium on accuracy and consistency and thatt just doesn't play into Woods hands, here are too many players who have what it takes to win big competitions, who are no longer scared of Woods, and who Woods didn't used to tolerate or allow, but now, I believe his mentality is a bit more fragile, and other people have the bit between their teeth and can see that he's certainly beatable.
What is for sure is that with Donald, McIlroy, Kaymer, Westwood and the loathsome Woods apparently beginning to look slightly more like a golfer, it could well be a very interesting year.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiler76 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 22:56

super_realist wrote:What is for sure is that with Donald, McIlroy, Kaymer, Westwood and the loathsome Woods apparently beginning to look slightly more like a golfer, it could well be a very interesting year.

Surely no-one can argue with that?! I think there's lots to look forward to in golf right now, and even the possibility of Sergio/Tiger coming back adds another dimension. And don't forget Stevie, he'll be buzzing after HIS albatross...

Tiler76

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Sat 12 Nov 2011, 09:55

Tiger Woods - 75 ... six shots off the lead.

Perhaps they should re-name it "moving backwards day". devil

Seems the greens were a lot faster and he kept leaving it on the high side.

If nothing else, this will hopefully shut keizo up for the time being.

The aussies have certainly moved up from down under. drumroll

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 12 Nov 2011, 11:23

I saw the leaders' front nine; field seemed split between those, like Haller, Senden and Day, who were judging their shots into the greens to perfection, and Dustin J, Woods and O'Malley who were misjudging badly their approaches and the firmness of the greens. Final pair was +5 after two holes.

As usual, Tiger blamed his putter, but it wasn't his putter that missed fairways left and right, and he ceretainly made some decent very missable putts early in his round.

He talked about being above the hole a lot, and that made him very tentative; standing over one five footer downhill, it almost looked as if he yipped it into the hole. Reminded me of me, except he holed it. Very uncharacteristic, but then again, it wasn't the putter that put him there in the first place.

Incredibly wide disparity of scores in Round 3, from Senden and Haller to Johnson and Woods - don't see that very often. Too soon to rule Woods out, Sunday's first six holes will likely tell the story, as we've learned the extent to which Tiger's game goes haywire when he really has to press.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sat 12 Nov 2011, 11:33

Tiger best hand back the trophy that some had already awarded him after round 2 (thats not to say he wont win)

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sat 12 Nov 2011, 16:31

Redrage

"Is he back?"

---------------------------------------------------

Woods has set the bar impossibly high for this, he ain't back until he wins a couple of Major's.

Last edited by erictheblueuk on Sat 12 Nov 2011, 16:33; edited 1 time in total
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 12 Nov 2011, 16:32

Think he'd be happy with a win in the monthly medal Eric.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 12 Nov 2011, 17:33

Coming back, the hardest thing to do is string four rounds together.
I dont think many on here will have played many 72 hole competitions, perhaps a handful. So they will probably know what I mean.
On the way up that is hard to do [eg.Scott Jamieson] and on the rebound probably even harder [David Howell, Ken Ferrie etc.]
I think Tiger will find it just as hard as the rest.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 13 Nov 2011, 06:01

Another 'L' for Woods Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 13 Nov 2011, 06:23

It's just a matter of time though s_r, and Woods will break through, most likely at his made-for-Tiger Tiger benefit exhibition in three weeks time.

No excuses for Woods today though, he holed some putts, chipped in for eagle, and still wasn't quite the convincing Tiger of old.

Seriously doubt that we'll know whether or not he's truly back until The Masters. A "W" there would be pretty irrefutable evidence, but right now I'd bet against a Major for Tiger until 2013.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 13 Nov 2011, 06:35

I'd say that was a course that suited a poor driver of the ball very well, loads of room, so most of the time you still have a shot.
I don't think we'll see properly until he's on a PGA course with a more quality field rather than the exhibition field of the oz open.
Doubtless he'll win again, hopefully not for a long time, but that suit of armour has considerably more chinks in it, especially around the head area.
Interesting to read that he's not pulled in the crowds this week. Are people finally tired of him?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Sun 13 Nov 2011, 06:54

He certainly had huge galleries following him and seemed to generate the loudest cheers over the afternoon round, his time will come if he can sort the driver out

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 13 Nov 2011, 07:02

Rang, he's never been a good driver so I doubt he'll ever sort it out. His problem is his putting touch as that's where he always used to make a score. He won 14 majors being a poor driver but a good putter.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Sun 13 Nov 2011, 07:24

Had he not lost the driver on two of his holes today he'd not of made the two bogey's indeed may well have have made birdies on them ans at the very least par's.
You're right in his pomp he was a phenomenal putter but as that has deserted him he needs to find the fairway more and not be so reliant on the recovery shots . You'd think with the Modern driver he'd be able to do so. look how it has helped so many of us mere mortals

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Sun 13 Nov 2011, 07:38

super_realist wrote:Rang, he's never been a good driver so I doubt he'll ever sort it out. His problem is his putting touch as that's where he always used to make a score. He won 14 majors being a poor driver but a good putter.

I'm in total agreement with this. The difference between Tiger being the best in the world and someone that won but didn't dominate was always his putting in my opinion. I'm doubtful that's something he'll be able to recover regardless of how much practice he can/will put in.

On another note Jason Day failed to win again. I didn't watch so can't comment on the how but looking at his stats would it be fair to say he has a problem winning? A large number of top tens without many victories or is that about average?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 13 Nov 2011, 07:52

Decent tournament for Tiger. Certainly don't think there will be any devastation over finishing third.
I expect a far better 2012 for him, though that wouldn't be hard.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 13 Nov 2011, 07:59

Rang, how do you know he wouldn't have made bogey? Just because you hit the fairway or hit it in a more favourable spot doesn't mean you automatically will make par. Even the most on form golfers will miss several greens a round. Bogeys are always a possibility regardless of where your tee shot finishes.

Digs, just entering tournaments would be an improvement on 2011 Wink . His excuses are wearing very thin though I think and all these false dawns of a comeback and how he's "ready for the "W"" are becoming very tiresome.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 13 Nov 2011, 08:10

He hasn't made any excuses any others pros don't make, they all utter the same guff after a round. No idea why people bang on about it so much.
Kwini was having his usual moan about Woods blaming his putting yesterday and that not being the issue and yet on here today people are saying its all about Woods putting.
It really doesn't matter what he says, someone will always pick holes in the simplest comment.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 13 Nov 2011, 08:21

And rightly so, if someone is stupid enough to stay stuff like 'i'm expecting a 'w'' then they deserve criticism when they fail. Just like when players like poulter say something stupid.
I'd have more respect for him if he just said something like 'my game needs a lot more work before I think i'll be in a position to challenge like I used to'
All the media trained hyperbole (by all players) is getting like football, there's just no point in post round interviews.
Why can't players show a bit of character and take the urine a bit, have a bit of fun instead of just opening their 'post round interview app' on their iphones? Dreary.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 13 Nov 2011, 08:25

Super, at the start of the week he said exactly that, that he wanted a W but there was a process to go through to get there.
And he clearly proved he was in a position to challenge, why would any player feel they should make excuses after a 3rd place finish.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 13 Nov 2011, 12:00

After only watching 10 minutes towards the end so difficult to really comment on it all. Was Tiger's round a case of pressure off so making it easier to play well or did he have a real chance to win this thing?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 13 Nov 2011, 12:24

Digs,
Who knows what others would have done if Woods had played 11 (short par 5) and 13 (driveable par 4) in, say one under instead of 2 over, but it was his catastrpohic loss of control from the tee on those two holes that seemed to do him in. Then he comes back and chips in on 14.

He putted quite well today, I thought, birdied the two hardest holes on the course (long par 4's 3 and 12), but just didn't get the ball close enough to the hole with his short irons.

I still believe he focuses on woes with his putter to deflect attention from his driving and irons (i.e. his full swing), especially those shots where he's trying to work the ball or take something off a shot.

When he turned pro his biggest weakness was his short irons, distance control, and well as he played today, he still doesn't have them quite right.

Good round though, good tournament, even money I'd think to win the owgr Christmas present from Chevron in 2 1/2 weeks.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 13 Nov 2011, 13:28

Expecting a "W" is part of what has made Tiger the most dominant golfer of his generation (of all time?). It works for him, that's for sure - no reason at all to change that way of thinking!

A fine tournament for Woods. Better finish that the rest of his PC team mates, perhaps putting an end to all the bleating about his Captain's Pick. Nah.

Jason Day is one impressive golfer. I look for him to be the most dominant Aussie on the US tour next year.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 13 Nov 2011, 13:46

"most dominant Aussie on the US tour" is an oxymoron and has been for 20 years.

I think Hibbz is right, Day has to learn how to win. He never seemed composed on Sunday, shot himself in the foot early on, two tap-in birdies got him back in it, then made complete pigs ear of birdie holes. Only his excellent holing out kept him in it - if Senden had putted like Day he'd've won.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sun 13 Nov 2011, 13:49

The third round cost him, terrible round with 34 putts. Still at least he still has it, he'll win again very soon.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next