The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy Fight: Lennox Lewis Vs. George Foreman

+31
skidd1
Adam D
Waingro
Imperial Ghosty
azania
oxring
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Mind the windows Tino.
The Galveston Giant
rapidringsroad
hazharrison
Jukebox Timebomb
horizontalhero
Lance
Nico the gman
Haito
hogey
kevchadders
superflyweight
huw
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Mr Bounce
HumanWindmill
Fists of Fury
Colonial Lion
No1Jonesy
mikeymax71
manos de piedra
ShahenshahG
Steffan
AlexHuckerby
35 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Fantasy Fight: Lennox Lewis Vs. George Foreman - Page 3 Empty Fantasy Fight: Lennox Lewis Vs. George Foreman

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

Interesting fight for me this and difficult to really pick a clear winner. Both are a bit of a nightmare in truth in slightly different ways and I find it very difficult to honestly pick a clear winner. The reason for this is that a lot of people seem to think that these two match up better than most in terms of the best heavyweights in match ups right or wrongly. However how do we think these two would go?

Lewis was very cautious against the biggest punchers in his career and was usually on his best so I honestly couldn't see a Rahman coming where he slips in concentration. Whereas Big George is just that, a big huge monster coming at you however Lewis isn't a small guy and actually has a couple of dimensions on him in terms of height and reach and perhaps this could be a factor in the fight.

For me I would go with a Lewis UD but could see a KO at any time for Foreman.

How do you see this panning out?

*Prime for Prime of course.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Fight: Lennox Lewis Vs. George Foreman - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantasy Fight: Lennox Lewis Vs. George Foreman

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Strange how his awesome jab couldn't do such a good job against Tua as Lewis' did isn't it, he was a good prospect but didn't show anything to suggest he could beat an all time great heavyweight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Fight: Lennox Lewis Vs. George Foreman - Page 3 Empty Re: Fantasy Fight: Lennox Lewis Vs. George Foreman

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:50 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Strange how his awesome jab couldn't do such a good job against Tua as Lewis' did isn't it, he was a good prospect but didn't show anything to suggest he could beat an all time great heavyweight.

Styles make fights. He threw over 1000 punches in that fight. Can you imagine lewis throwing half of that without gassing?

Easy night for Ike. He showed plenty to suggest he would beat Lewis.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:53 pm

Conservation of energy, Ibeabuchi left himself ridiculously open against Tua because of the volume of punches he was throwing, far more sensible to keep things simple and control behind your jab as Lewis did. If beating Tua is enough to suggest you beat Lewis then fair enough I can't argue against that.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:53 pm

ike gets outboxed by lewis i seriously cant see any other way around it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:53 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Strange how his awesome jab couldn't do such a good job against Tua as Lewis' did isn't it, he was a good prospect but didn't show anything to suggest he could beat an all time great heavyweight.

I give a better chance to Ike than you I think but I agree that 8 out of 10 goes to Lewis. I reckon he'd givve Tyson a good going over before Losing but Lewis too big and too intelligent. Will handle him like Tua but with less ease.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:56 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:ike gets outboxed by lewis i seriously cant see any other way around it.

The Lewis who got wobbled badly by Briggs, won a contested decision and rocked by Mercer, dropped by Akinwande Laugh would not stand a chance against Ike. Wont be easy for Ike due to the size difference. But Ike could fight in many styles and eventually he would catch up with Lewis and put him away. Lewis simply wasn't co-ordinated enough to get out of the way. Lucky champ who was in the right place at the right time.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:03 pm

So lucky that the best men of his generation wouldn't face him Az until they had nothing to lose.

You have a very narrow sighted view of this, taking the worst of Lewis and the best of Ibeabuchi which still struggled with Tua, he fights like that against Lewis then he's going to be eating right hand after right hand.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:07 pm

im sorry but a guy that had 20 fights and only faced two serious opponents doesnt beat lewis for me

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:09 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:So lucky that the best men of his generation wouldn't face him Az until they had nothing to lose.

You have a very narrow sighted view of this, taking the worst of Lewis and the best of Ibeabuchi which still struggled with Tua, he fights like that against Lewis then he's going to be eating right hand after right hand.

Who wouldn't face him until they had noting to lose? McCall? Rahman?

You over estimate Lewis. Too many excuses are made on his behalf. The only prime boxer he faced was Vitali. Admittedly Lewis was past it then. You say Ike struggled against Tua. It was a nexciting fight between to undefeated HWs. Great fight and great performance from the pair of them. To say he struggled is frankly ridiculous. So what that Lewis handled Tua easily. Holmes handled Mercer very easily yet Lewis was gifted a decision.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:10 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:im sorry but a guy that had 20 fights and only faced two serious opponents doesnt beat lewis for me

No need to apologise. Many thought Foreman an underdog against Frazier. Look what happened. Ali had a worse resume that Ike did before he fought Liston. In fact Lewis had a poor resume before Ruddock.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Weaver, Mason, Ruddock and Biggs represent a decent set of victories for a heavyweight before they a world title fight in all honesty.

Lets be frank here Az, Holyfield, Bowe and Tyson wanted no part of Lewis until they had nothing to lose, the reason for those fights not happening sooner were the american trios fault not Lewis'. A great fight doesn't always represent a great performance, Gatti/Ward is seen as a great fight but neither of them put in a great performance, Ikes reliance on his physical attributes were apparent in the Tua fight, something Lewis makes him pay for.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:22 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Weaver, Mason, Ruddock and Biggs represent a decent set of victories for a heavyweight before they a world title fight in all honesty.

Lets be frank here Az, Holyfield, Bowe and Tyson wanted no part of Lewis until they had nothing to lose, the reason for those fights not happening sooner were the american trios fault not Lewis'. A great fight doesn't always represent a great performance, Gatti/Ward is seen as a great fight but neither of them put in a great performance, Ikes reliance on his physical attributes were apparent in the Tua fight, something Lewis makes him pay for.

Waever? Are you being serious? Biggs? After he got wrecked and finished by Tyuson? Come on. Do better than that. Ruddock was his title fight. He was gifted the title.

Tyson wanted no part of him? Have you just woken up? Boxing is a business. Tyson fought Holy for more money. We know what happened. When did Holy duck Lewis?

Why did Maloney want nothing to do with Ike? Did Lewis duck Ike?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:25 pm

azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:So lucky that the best men of his generation wouldn't face him Az until they had nothing to lose.

You over estimate Lewis. Too many excuses are made on his behalf. The only prime boxer he faced was Vitali. Admittedly Lewis was past it then. You say Ike struggled against Tua. It was a nexciting fight between to undefeated HWs. Great fight and great performance from the pair of them. To say he struggled is frankly ridiculous. So what that Lewis handled Tua easily. Holmes handled Mercer very easily yet Lewis was gifted a decision.

you dont like Lewis, i think we get it...but to say Vitali was the only prime boxer he thought is bordering ignorance

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:29 pm

Lance wrote:
azania wrote:

you dont like Lewis, i think we get it...but to say Vitali was the only prime boxer he thought is bordering ignorance

No I like Lewis as a person. I supported him in all his fights. I always felt nervous whenever he fought because one punch could end it for him. I just think that he would have lost to Holy, Bowe, Tyson had they all met at their respective peaks. Plus Ike also.

Which other A list fighter did he beat whilst at their peak other that Vitali?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Which A list fight did Ibeabuchi ever face Az? You say one punch could end it for Lewis but throughout his career many hard hitters landed flush without budging him, much like saying anyone with a decent jab beats Tyson or any tricky southpaw beats Holmes, isolated incidents are really the norm with these fighters.

Things work very differently in the heavyweight division where wins over the likes of Biggs and Weaver are fairly decent for a relative novice, in other divisions being that standard of fighter isn't any great shakes but there's only been one period of standout quality.

Boxing is a business but Bowe ended up fighting Dokes and Ferguson instead of Lewis, hardly going for the big bucks, it's one case where it's fairly obvious that a fighter has avoided another much like Tyson paying Lewis to step aside.

Last edited by Imperial Ghosty on Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Vitali was probably the only "prime boxer" Lewis fought who will make the IBHOF.

I doubt Bruno will make it. McCall had a mental breakdown in the ring with Lewis (that's if McCall makes the cut - v doubtful IMO). As for the others - Tucker had seen better decades and went on to lose every remaining challenge of his career. Including to Hide. Ruddock wasn't "a great" nor were Tua, Briggs or Golota.

To me - his IBHOF names are Holyfield, Tyson and V Klitschko. And of the 3 - the only prime HW there was V Klit.

Now that's not his fault - he ruled amidst some awful dross. At the same time - Tua, Briggs, Golota, Ruddock, Grant, Mercer and Rahman were all GOOD.

And thats 3 more IBHOF level opponents than either of the Klitschkos have.

Yep az. I'm in serious danger of agreeing with one of your points. Hug Shocked
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:35 pm

azania wrote:
Lance wrote:
azania wrote:

No I like Lewis as a person. I supported him in all his fights. I always felt nervous whenever he fought because one punch could end it for him. I just think that he would have lost to Holy, Bowe, Tyson had they all met at their respective peaks. Plus Ike also.

fair enough if you think those guys could beat him, was sounding for a minute though that you thought he was total garbage.
A-list fighters he beat in their peak would have to include Tua and Briggs though, you cant use them in one arguement and not the next

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:43 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Which A list fight did Ibeabuchi ever face Az? You say one punch could end it for Lewis but throughout his career many hard hitters landed flush without budging him, much like saying anyone with a decent jab beats Tyson or any tricky southpaw beats Holmes, isolated incidents are really the norm with these fighters.

Things work very differently in the heavyweight division where wins over the likes of Biggs and Weaver are fairly decent for a relative novice, in other divisions being that standard of fighter isn't any great shakes but there's only been one period of standout quality.

Boxing is a business but Bowe ended up fighting Dokes and Ferguson instead of Lewis, hardly going for the big bucks, it's one case where it's fairly obvious that a fighter has avoided another much like Tyson paying Lewis to step aside.

Ike didn't beat any A list fighter. I haven't claim that he did. Going by your judgements, you would have been one of those who would question why Ali went near Liston let alone fight him. Everything is based on the record.

Well I believe Ike would have beten Lewis based on m,y opinion that he had better skills. Screw the records. Look at the styles. Ike was a big hitter very well rounded boxer. Lewis was a plodding big hitter.

Yes its a business. Low risk, high reward. Larry Holmes said "show me a boxer who fights for legacy I'll show you a fool. Legacy dont pay bills. We fight for money. Its a business"(I paraphrase)

Tyson paid Lewis for a bigger fight. The fight the public wanted to see for years. More money for less risk until Holy decided to ruin things.

So when did Holy duck him?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:45 pm

oxring wrote:Vitali was probably the only "prime boxer" Lewis fought who will make the IBHOF.

I doubt Bruno will make it. McCall had a mental breakdown in the ring with Lewis (that's if McCall makes the cut - v doubtful IMO). As for the others - Tucker had seen better decades and went on to lose every remaining challenge of his career. Including to Hide. Ruddock wasn't "a great" nor were Tua, Briggs or Golota.

To me - his IBHOF names are Holyfield, Tyson and V Klitschko. And of the 3 - the only prime HW there was V Klit.

Now that's not his fault - he ruled amidst some awful dross. At the same time - Tua, Briggs, Golota, Ruddock, Grant, Mercer and Rahman were all GOOD.

I knew you'd eventually see the light!

One convert. 999 to go Yahoo

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:47 pm

azania wrote:
oxring wrote:Vitali was probably the only "prime boxer" Lewis fought who will make the IBHOF.

1 down - 7,004,173,338 (approx) to go, surely?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Lance wrote:
azania wrote:
Lance wrote:
azania wrote:

fair enough if you think those guys could beat him, was sounding for a minute though that you thought he was total garbage.
A-list fighters he beat in their peak would have to include Tua and Briggs though, you cant use them in one arguement and not the next

When were either Briggs or Tua A list fighters? Briggs was an A list amateur who hung with the New York art scene and was friends with Lenny Kravitz before he turned pro. Good pianist by all accounts. Perhaps he should have stuck with that instead of trying to ruin Vit's fists with his face.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Boxing is about beating the best around something you have used against various boxers in the past but when Bowe threw his belt away to instead fight Dokes and Ferguson there are no real monetary gains in those fights other than facing lesser opponents. The fight the public wanted to see was Tyson against Lewis, the reason why it was such a huge event when it eventually happened, far bigger than any of the Holyfield fights, at that point in time Holyfield was regarded as low risk while Lewis was high risk. I like to see fighters go for the best available fight rather than being happy to settle for second best.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:48 pm

oxring wrote:
azania wrote:

1 down - 7,004,173,338 (approx) to go, surely?

I'm patient yet determined. Very Happy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:54 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Boxing is about beating the best around something you have used against various boxers in the past but when Bowe threw his belt away to instead fight Dokes and Ferguson there are no real monetary gains in those fights other than facing lesser opponents. The fight the public wanted to see was Tyson against Lewis, the reason why it was such a huge event when it eventually happened, far bigger than any of the Holyfield fights, at that point in time Holyfield was regarded as low risk while Lewis was high risk. I like to see fighters go for the best available fight rather than being happy to settle for second best.

The british fight fans perhaps wanted to see Lewis/Tyson. But in the states where the fight was held and where the money is, they wanted Holy/Tyson. Dont start making things up just to try and score points.

The reason why it was a huge event is because it was Tyson. Tyson/McNeely was a huge event. Tyson was the draw and not lewis. Its why Tyson was paid more than Lewis.

Are you sure Lewis/Tyson was a bigger fight that Holy/Tyson? Was Lewis the draw?

Oh I'd like to see fighters fight the best. But I understand business and the reason why they take low risk. high reward fights.

Take Floyd/Pac for example. Floyd could make just as much with purse and PPV sales if he takes 80% of the PPV divide than if he took 50% fighting Pac. Pac is a higher risk than Ortiz (or so it was assumed). Strickly business.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:58 pm

Lets consider things in very simple terms, which fight generated more money Holyfield/Tyson or Lewis/Tyson, the answer is the latter, it was a huge huge event as it was between who were considered to be the best two heavyweights of their generations. Not making things up at all, just using the facts available.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:00 pm

In fairness though when you make statements like Lewis would not be in your top 20 ATG heavyweights it appears more a case of criminally underrating a fighter as opposed to simply thinking he has been overrated.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Lets consider things in very simple terms, which fight generated more money Holyfield/Tyson or Lewis/Tyson, the answer is the latter, it was a huge huge event as it was between who were considered to be the best two heavyweights of their generations. Not making things up at all, just using the facts available.

In fairness - by the time Lewis-Tyson came around - Lewis had proved himself by beating Holyfield and the punishing comeback against Rahman - so he was bound to be a draw. Whereas 8 years before - Holyfield was the guy everyone wanted to see whether he could emulate Ali and regain his titles 3 times. He was supposed to have been shot and past it. Absolute hero.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Lets consider things in very simple terms, which fight generated more money Holyfield/Tyson or Lewis/Tyson, the answer is the latter, it was a huge huge event as it was between who were considered to be the best two heavyweights of their generations. Not making things up at all, just using the facts available.

Are you factoring in RPI?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:06 pm

azania wrote:

Well it is simply put Az the highest grossing heavyweight fight of all time, what part of that is difficult to understand?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:07 pm

manos de piedra wrote:In fairness though when you make statements like Lewis would not be in your top 20 ATG heavyweights it appears more a case of criminally underrating a fighter as opposed to simply thinking he has been overrated.

Perhaps. But I believe he is over-rated by a long way.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:09 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:

Well it is simply put Az the highest grossing heavyweight fight of all time, what part of that is difficult to understand?

I'll take your word for it. 8 years after the holy/tyson fight. But at the time when lewis was given step aside money, the public (american) wanted Holy/Tyson.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:12 pm

Well my word is the truth, it was the highest grossing fight of all time until De La Hoya and Mayweather surpassed it plus it was 6 years later.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:17 pm

oxring wrote:In fairness - by the time Lewis-Tyson came around - Lewis had proved himself by beating Holyfield and the punishing comeback against Rahman - so he was bound to be a draw. Whereas 8 years before - Holyfield was the guy everyone wanted to see whether he could emulate Ali and regain his titles 3 times. He was supposed to have been shot and past it. Absolute hero.

I got ignored last time.

Holy-Tyson was one hell of a draw at the time - and I don't believe Lewis could match that while he was busy rebuilding his career post-McCall.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:24 pm

Correct me if i'm wrong here Oxy but didn't Tyson pay Lewis off to face Seldon rather than Holyfield? Tyson had a guaranteed $45mil to earn from the fight at that time but chose to go for the WBA belt rather than defend his WBC belt, may be wrong on that though.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:33 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Well my word is the truth, it was the highest grossing fight of all time until De La Hoya and Mayweather surpassed it plus it was 6 years later.

The fact that is was a higher grossing fight is meaningless as at the time Holy/Tyson was the more in demand fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:36 pm

oxring wrote:
oxring wrote:In fairness - by the time Lewis-Tyson came around - Lewis had proved himself by beating Holyfield and the punishing comeback against Rahman - so he was bound to be a draw. Whereas 8 years before - Holyfield was the guy everyone wanted to see whether he could emulate Ali and regain his titles 3 times. He was supposed to have been shot and past it. Absolute hero.

I got ignored last time.

Holy-Tyson was one hell of a draw at the time - and I don't believe Lewis could match that while he was busy rebuilding his career post-McCall.

I didn't ignore you. Just didn't want to be seen to be agreeing with you. Very Happy But you are correct for a change.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong here Oxy but didn't Tyson pay Lewis off to face Seldon rather than Holyfield? Tyson had a guaranteed $45mil to earn from the fight at that time but chose to go for the WBA belt rather than defend his WBC belt, may be wrong on that though.

I'll correct you. You are wrong. The step aside money was for Holy.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by skidd1 Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:40 pm

I would say stats aside that the general public or boxing fans in the USA wanted Holy v Tyson
Lewis wasn't the draw in the USA and never has been

skidd1

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:41 pm

Having further investigated Az it would appear I was in fact right.

Tyson beat Frank Bruno for the WBC title at which point Lennox Lewis was the number one contender, it was at this point that Tyson paid Lewis off vacated the title and went for Bruce Seldons WBA title instead.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:50 pm

I wouldn't say the Tua fights with Lewis and Ike are really comparable. Tua was a 225lb prospect who many rated when Ike fought him. Fast forward three years and Lewis fought a 245lb flabby flat footed lump that had lost the speed and stamina that had marked him out in the fisrt place.

Ike was getting better and better, and his hammering of Bird was as brutal as it was impressive. Let us not forget we are talking about a guy who only had a 20 fight career that ended when he was 26. I genuinely believed he was the one to take the mantle for the following decade. Alas not.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Having further investigated Az it would appear I was in fact right.

Tyson beat Frank Bruno for the WBC title at which point Lennox Lewis was the number one contender, it was at this point that Tyson paid Lewis off vacated the title and went for Bruce Seldons WBA title instead.

I stand corrected.

Better a unified champion dont you think?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:00 pm

Bob wrote:

I wouldn't say the Tua fights with Lewis and Ike are really comparable. Tua was a 225lb prospect who many rated when Ike fought him. Fast forward three years and Lewis fought a 245lb flabby flat footed lump that had lost the speed and stamina that had marked him out in the fisrt place.

Ike was getting better and better, and his hammering of Bird was as brutal as it was impressive. Let us not forget we are talking about a guy who only had a 20 fight career that ended when he was 26. I genuinely believed he was the one to take the mantle for the following decade. Alas not.

Exactly. He was awesome, superb engine but he made Tyson appear like mother theresa.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:01 pm

azania wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Having further investigated Az it would appear I was in fact right.

I stand corrected.

Unified in what way Az? So you're trying to suggest that vacating your title and fighting Seldon instead of Lewis makes more sense?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:06 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
azania wrote:

I stand corrected.

Unified in what way Az? So you're trying to suggest that vacating your title and fighting Seldon instead of Lewis makes more sense?

WBA/C unified. As I said, business decision. High reward, low risk. I dont throw abound the term ducking like many others here.

Interestingly Lewis has never beaten a champion to gain a belt until he beat Briggs.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:08 pm

The Seldon fight was for the WBA title only, so how is still only fighting for one title against a lesser opponent more viable than defending against your mandatory challenger who happened to be Lennox Lewis?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:08 pm

Tyson fought Seldon simply to ensure there would be a title up for grabs when he faced Holyfield, as opposed to avoiding Lewis in order to fight Seldon.

The purpose of avoiding Lewis was to ensure a financially lucrative fight with Holyfield down the line.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:10 pm

Colonial Lion wrote:Tyson fought Seldon simply to ensure there would be a title up for grabs when he faced Holyfield, as opposed to avoiding Lewis in order to fight Seldon.

The purpose of avoiding Lewis was to ensure a financially lucrative fight with Holyfield down the line.

Bloomin eck. It sounds like a mystery plot.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Without wishing to pry, Azania (by the way, it's good to see you posting again, and you too Ghosty), I believe the WBC made it clear to Tyson that he'd be stripped of the title the moment he stepped in to the ring against Seldon for all intents and purposes, and that the aforementioned deal with Lewis was pretty much in place. In short, whatever reasons Tyson had for fighting Seldon instead of Lewis, unification wasn't one of them.

Mind you, I can half understand why Tyson avoided Lewis, given the outrageous pay day against Holyfield which was looming. Lewis, superb fighter though he was, represented a considerably less lucrative option to Tyson than Holyfield did, even if the 'Real Deal' was considered a sacrificial lamb by 1996. Did Tyson intend to fight Lewis in 1997 after taking care of Holyfield, given that people had been waiting for that fight for six or seven years? Possibly. I'd have loved to have seen Lewis-Tyson in 1996 as much as the next man, but I'm not entirely convinced it was as much a case of 'ducking' as some others might have us believe.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:14 pm

Colonial Lion wrote:Tyson fought Seldon simply to ensure there would be a title up for grabs when he faced Holyfield, as opposed to avoiding Lewis in order to fight Seldon.

I see that as avoiding Lewis knowing he could and probably would lose the fight, we hold it against other fighters for doing similar things so why not Bowe and Tyson, simply because Lewis is involved?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Is it a question of Tyson (or any other high profike boxer) ducking another boxer or boxers going after the biggest payday? Boxing is a business. A high risk business and I wont accuse any boxer of ducking for making a commercial decision. Fans aren't taking the punches.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next