The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy Fight: Lennox Lewis Vs. George Foreman

+31
skidd1
Adam D
Waingro
Imperial Ghosty
azania
oxring
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Mind the windows Tino.
The Galveston Giant
rapidringsroad
hazharrison
Jukebox Timebomb
horizontalhero
Lance
Nico the gman
Haito
hogey
kevchadders
superflyweight
huw
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Mr Bounce
HumanWindmill
Fists of Fury
Colonial Lion
No1Jonesy
mikeymax71
manos de piedra
ShahenshahG
Steffan
AlexHuckerby
35 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Fantasy Fight: Lennox Lewis Vs. George Foreman - Page 2 Empty Fantasy Fight: Lennox Lewis Vs. George Foreman

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 16 Nov 2011, 11:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

Interesting fight for me this and difficult to really pick a clear winner. Both are a bit of a nightmare in truth in slightly different ways and I find it very difficult to honestly pick a clear winner. The reason for this is that a lot of people seem to think that these two match up better than most in terms of the best heavyweights in match ups right or wrongly. However how do we think these two would go?

Lewis was very cautious against the biggest punchers in his career and was usually on his best so I honestly couldn't see a Rahman coming where he slips in concentration. Whereas Big George is just that, a big huge monster coming at you however Lewis isn't a small guy and actually has a couple of dimensions on him in terms of height and reach and perhaps this could be a factor in the fight.

For me I would go with a Lewis UD but could see a KO at any time for Foreman.

How do you see this panning out?

*Prime for Prime of course.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Fight: Lennox Lewis Vs. George Foreman - Page 2 Empty Re: Fantasy Fight: Lennox Lewis Vs. George Foreman

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 18 Nov 2011, 10:33 am

HumanWindmill wrote:Fair enough, Tino.

I respect your take on things, and it is certainly up for interpretation as to how hurt Lewis actually was. I felt he looked a bit ragged after getting clocked, but maybe I need to watch it again.

What is certain, though, is that he was clocked, and that, had it been Foreman and not Briggs, he would have been a very lucky man to see the round out.

I probably need to watch it again as well, it's been a while, and although I am not as old as you, the memory does go occasionally!

I agree that if Lewis was genuinely hurt, then Foreman would be a far more fearsome propect than Briggs, but I would like to think Lennox would be a little more focussed and 'on edge' enough not to wander to the middle of the ring and start throwing bombs, as I think I remember him doing during the majority of the Briggs match.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Fight: Lennox Lewis Vs. George Foreman - Page 2 Empty Re: Fantasy Fight: Lennox Lewis Vs. George Foreman

Post by kevchadders Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:10 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:I asked this question of George Foreman and Lennox Lewis via Twitter.

No response from Lennox as yet, but George unsurprisingly backed himself to lose.

@GeorgeForeman: @606v2boxing I was a sucker for right hands; Lewis threw them like Bob Gibson; I pick Lewis.

If you havent already i would retweet that respone of Georges to Lewis to see if then responds. Have you also tweeted the link to this post so that they might read our comments?

Good stuff anyway.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:14 pm

George Foreman would tell you Paluie Malignaggi would spark him out. I can't agree with George on this one. Lewis had a habit of getting caught and against Foreman you can't let that happen. Over the course of 12 or 15 rounds I think Foreman would get to him and then the fights over. Foreman had ridiculous punching power.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:17 pm

kevchadders wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:I asked this question of George Foreman and Lennox Lewis via Twitter.

No response from Lennox as yet, but George unsurprisingly backed himself to lose.

@GeorgeForeman: @606v2boxing I was a sucker for right hands; Lewis threw them like Bob Gibson; I pick Lewis.

If you havent already i would retweet that respone of Georges to Lewis to see if then responds. Have you also tweeted the link to this post so that they might read our comments?

Good stuff anyway.

Yep, the link was included in the tweet to them.

I'll be sending the response to Lennox this evening.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:25 pm

If I'd know Big George would be reading this I wouldn't have said he telegraphed his punches.

Love you, George.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:27 pm

That one had me giggling like a schoolgirl. Great stuff.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:28 pm

gotta love george nowadays hes just a big cuddly bear now

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:30 pm

Some difference from the absolute wrecking machine he once was!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:31 pm

Id say he still packs a wallop to be fair. His arms and hands are gigantic.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 18 Nov 2011, 12:32 pm

I certainly wouldn't volunteer to have him punch me in the face.

But what a fighter. Incredible. Becoming lineal HW champion of the world in his 40s.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:25 pm

oxring wrote:I certainly wouldn't volunteer to have him punch me in the face.

But what a fighter. Incredible. Becoming lineal HW champion of the world in his 40s.

Would Lewis be able to put his name to a lean mean fat reducing grilling machine though?

The fact that George seems so humble now actually makes me want to change my earlier thoughts to Foreman 1st round by KO and unless Lennox responds I will ensure I never buy any food type cooking utensil regardless of the fact it was that good he put his name on it.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:27 pm

I bought my parents a George Foreman for Christmas last year.

I wouldn't buy a Lewis grill.

Ergo, Foreman beats Lewis.

Easy.

Now - who will bring out a cooking utensil first? Pacman/Mayweather?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 18 Nov 2011, 1:38 pm

George probably thinks Joe Frazier would have beaten him these days

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 Nov 2011, 6:51 pm

Foreman by KO within 4 rounds. You need good footwork to beat Foreman. Lewis was cumbersome and had lousy footwork. Plus he was slightly chinny.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 18 Nov 2011, 6:57 pm

azania not seen you for a while.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 Nov 2011, 7:02 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:azania not seen you for a while.

Been floating around in the ether somewhere.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 18 Nov 2011, 7:07 pm

A very very tricky match up to predict as both were vulnerable against the others style.

Lewis as has been mentioned before was knocked out by far lesser fighters than Foreman and in the history of heavyweight boxing there has never been a more destructive puncher nor are we likely to see one but on the flipside we saw Foreman outboxed by Jimmy Young who utilised his jab beautifully to nulify him. Lewis has a far more potent and heavy jab as well as possessing one of the best right hands around.

Gun to my head would say Foreman within 6 but beyond that Lewis takes a comfortable but initially difficult decision.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Sat 19 Nov 2011, 6:38 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:A very very tricky match up to predict as both were vulnerable against the others style.

Lewis as has been mentioned before was knocked out by far lesser fighters than Foreman and in the history of heavyweight boxing there has never been a more destructive puncher nor are we likely to see one but on the flipside we saw Foreman outboxed by Jimmy Young who utilised his jab beautifully to nulify him. Lewis has a far more potent and heavy jab as well as possessing one of the best right hands around.

Gun to my head would say Foreman within 6 but beyond that Lewis takes a comfortable but initially difficult decision.

I thought you quit this board lol you said the moderators were a joke.

Lewis would win this easily imo Foreman was good but was he in Lewis's class? Imo he wasnt and Lewis knocks him out look at what Ali did to him. Foreman was not in Lewis's he says so himself so this is not a good question imo. Lewis KO 3.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 19 Nov 2011, 7:53 am

Waingro wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:A very very tricky match up to predict as both were vulnerable against the others style.

Lewis would win this easily imo Foreman was good but was he in Lewis's class? Imo he wasnt and Lewis knocks him out look at what Ali did to him. Foreman was not in Lewis's he says so himself so this is not a good question imo. Lewis KO 3.

Trigger?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 19 Nov 2011, 9:17 am

Waingro wrote:

Lewis is no Ali. Lewis had a pawing jab, dodgy chin, very bad footwork. Easy night's work for Goerge. I wouldn't put Lewis in my top 20 ATG heavies. I believe people's judgement of him are clouded by a small degree of nationalism.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 19 Nov 2011, 9:29 am

azania wrote:
Waingro wrote:

Lewis is no Ali. Lewis had a pawing jab, dodgy chin, very bad footwork. Easy night's work for Goerge. I wouldn't put Lewis in my top 20 ATG heavies. I believe people's judgement of him are clouded by a small degree of nationalism.

I doubt it - the stats say we dont have many Canadian posters Very Happy

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 19 Nov 2011, 9:32 am

Adam D (Hobo) wrote:
azania wrote:
Waingro wrote:

I doubt it - the stats say we dont have many Canadian posters Very Happy

Lewis stopped being Canadian after he won the HW title. Rolling Eyes

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 19 Nov 2011, 9:34 am

Cheeky

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 19 Nov 2011, 12:27 pm

I forgot about your insane theories on some boxers, Lewis is quite clearly in the top 20 heavyweights of all time and is almost always a consensus top 10 guy at the weight. His dodgy chin was exposed twice but on many occassions it more than stood up to the challenge put in front of him. Foreman probably beats but more because of his brutal power than anything wrong with Lewis' game.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 19 Nov 2011, 5:43 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I forgot about your insane theories on some boxers, Lewis is quite clearly in the top 20 heavyweights of all time and is almost always a consensus top 10 guy at the weight. His dodgy chin was exposed twice but on many occassions it more than stood up to the challenge put in front of him. Foreman probably beats but more because of his brutal power than anything wrong with Lewis' game.

Well done for the barbed comments once again. I almost forgot what a fine disposition you have to contrary opinions. Carry on.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 20 Nov 2011, 3:47 pm

What 20 heavyweights would you rate above Lewis?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:10 pm

manos de piedra wrote:What 20 heavyweights would you rate above Lewis?

No problem. I'll add that the list is of fighters I believe would beat him peak for peak and not neccessarily what they achieved.

1 - Ali
2 - Holmes
3- Tyson
4 - Lewis
5- Bowe
6 - Holy
7 - Frazier
8 - Foreman
9 - Louis
10 - Ibeabuchi
11 - Liston
12 - Witherspoon
13 - Cleveland Williams
14 - Dempsey
15 - Lewis

OK 14 better HW than Lewis.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:13 pm

bowe would have been cremated by lewis.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:15 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:bowe would have been cremated by lewis.

Doubt it. He had everything Lennox had less the minerals. Hypothetically if they all brought their A game to the ring, they would all KO Lewis.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:20 pm

azania wrote:

No problem. I'll add that the list is of fighters I believe would beat him peak for peak and not neccessarily what they achieved.

1 - Ali
2 - Holmes
3- Tyson
4 - Lewis
5- Bowe
6 - Holy
7 - Frazier
8 - Foreman
9 - Louis
10 - Ibeabuchi
11 - Liston
12 - Witherspoon
13 - Cleveland Williams
14 - Dempsey
15 - Lewis

You have Lewis himself at number 4 there.

Also your quote was that you wouldnt have Lewis in your top 20 ATG heavyweights, which presumably involves acheivement aswell as hypothetical head to head results.

Would seem to be a pretty negative view of Lewis to me in any event. Especially if the likes of Williams, Witherspoon and Ibeabuchi are to be considered favourites over him.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:25 pm

azania wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:bowe would have been cremated by lewis.

Doubt it. He had everything Lennox had less the minerals. Hypothetically if they all brought their A game to the ring, they would all KO Lewis.

strongly strongly have to disagree there!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:25 pm

He's just gathered all the people he could name without reference! Laugh

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:25 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
azania wrote:

1 - Ali
2 - Holmes
3- Tyson
4 - Lewis
5- Bowe
6 - Holy
7 - Frazier
8 - Foreman
9 - Louis
10 - Ibeabuchi
11 - Liston
12 - Witherspoon
13 - Cleveland Williams
14 - Dempsey
15 - Lewis

You have Lewis himself at number 4 there.

Also your quote was that you wouldnt have Lewis in your top 20 ATG heavyweights, which presumably involves acheivement aswell as hypothetical head to head results.

Would seem to be a pretty negative view of Lewis to me in any event. Especially if the likes of Williams, Witherspoon and Ibeabuchi are to be considered favourites over him.

My error. I meant Joe Louis (although I put him twice). You're right. I dont rate Lewis highly. For me he lacked a certain fluidity whilst fighting. Poor footwork and that cricket bowling overhand right is amateurish.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:26 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:He's just gathered all the people he could name without reference! Laugh

Nah. Was going to add Norton, but he was too fragile and frankly not good enough.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:28 pm

you would probably have cooney beating lewis!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:31 pm

Well I dont think we will find much common ground on this one. I think there is a tendancy to overrate Lewis on British sites but dont think theres a great deal of evidence to support him losing to all those fighters listed on a consistent basis or ranking him outside a top twenty list on virtually all relevant criteria.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:33 pm

azania wrote:

1 - Ali
2 - Holmes
3- Tyson
4 - Lewis
5- Bowe
6 - Holy
7 - Frazier
8 - Foreman
9 - Louis
10 - Ibeabuchi
11 - Liston
12 - Witherspoon
13 - Cleveland Williams
14 - Dempsey
15 - Lewis

Which Louis/Lewis?
==========================================================
To be honest - that's not that hard - here's my list of HWs who at peak, beat Lewis any day of the week. In no particular order...

Ali, Jeffries, Sullivan, Corbett, Dempsey, Marciano, Charles, Walcott, Tunney, Frazier, Foreman, Shavers, Norton, Holmes, Witherspoon, M Spinks, Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, Liston, C Williams, LaStarza, Braddock, Schmelling, T Sharkey, Langford, Ibeabuchi, V Klitschko, W Klitschko, Wills, Patterson, Johansson, Terrell, Savold, B Baer...and many more off the top of my head.

John Henry Lewis, of course. Who did you think I meant?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:36 pm

oxring wrote:
azania wrote:

1 - Ali
2 - Holmes
3- Tyson
4 - Lewis
5- Bowe
6 - Holy
7 - Frazier
8 - Foreman
9 - Louis
10 - Ibeabuchi
11 - Liston
12 - Witherspoon
13 - Cleveland Williams
14 - Dempsey
15 - Lewis

Which Louis/Lewis?
To be honest - that's not that hard - here's my list of HWs who at peak, beat Lewis any day of the week. In no particular order...

Ali, Jeffries, Sullivan, Corbett, Dempsey, Marciano, Charles, Walcott, Tunney, Frazier, Foreman, Shavers, Norton, Holmes, Witherspoon, M Spinks, Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, Liston, C Williams, LaStarza, Braddock, Schmelling, T Sharkey, Langford, Ibeabuchi, V Klitschko, W Klitschko, Wills, Patterson, Johansson, Terrell, Savold, B Baer...and many more off the top of my head.

Had me going there! Laugh

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:37 pm

oxy you are having a joke with some of those names right?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:39 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:oxy you are having a joke with some of those names right?

I thought I was being daft. Laugh

Read the bottom line

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:41 pm

ah missed that Laugh

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:43 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:you would probably have cooney beating lewis!

No.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:44 pm

oxring wrote:
azania wrote:

1 - Ali
2 - Holmes
3- Tyson
4 - Lewis
5- Bowe
6 - Holy
7 - Frazier
8 - Foreman
9 - Louis
10 - Ibeabuchi
11 - Liston
12 - Witherspoon
13 - Cleveland Williams
14 - Dempsey
15 - Lewis

Which Louis/Lewis?

With Ian John Lewis as Judge Laugh

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:48 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:ah missed that Laugh

I know mods aren't supposed to WUM. But that was gentle; and I couldn't help myself.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sun 20 Nov 2011, 5:52 pm

oxring wrote:John Henry Lewis, of course. Who did you think I meant?

How about Lewis Carroll, author of ' Azania in Wonderland '?

( I couldn't help myself, either, but that's it from me. )

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Nov 2011, 6:15 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
oxring wrote:John Henry Lewis, of course. Who did you think I meant?

How about Lewis Carroll, author of ' Azania in Wonderland '?

( I couldn't help myself, either, but that's it from me. )
notworthy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 20 Nov 2011, 6:27 pm

Ike Ibeabuchi who struggled horrendously against David Tua, that Ibeabuchi?

Quite absurd that you've got Lewis himself on that list twice as well really.

A more accurate list in my opinion would be:

1. Ali
2. Liston
3. Holmes
4. Frazier
5. Foreman
6. Louis

The top three would be clear favourites with the bottom three being real pick 'ems, against everyone else would have him start as favourite

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Nov 2011, 6:34 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Ike Ibeabuchi who struggled horrendously against David Tua, that Ibeabuchi?

Quite absurd that you've got Lewis himself on that list twice as well really.

A more accurate list in my opinion would be:

1. Ali
2. Liston
3. Holmes
4. Frazier
5. Foreman
6. Louis

The top three would be clear favourites with the bottom three being real pick 'ems, against everyone else would have him start as favourite

My list wasn't in any particular order. Also I explained the error of entering Lewis twice and corrected it. I agree with your list. All of them would have KTFO of lewis no poblem. And Ike would have had no problem with Lewis. The Ike who was not afrain of taking Tua's power. That Ike.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 20 Nov 2011, 6:39 pm

That Ike gets outboxed quite easily by Lewis, who dominates with his jab and right hand, all well and good taking shots from Tua but a more defensive minded fighter would take less in return as Lewis would.

Ali would outbox Lewis but can't see him knocking him out, peppers him with combos all night while Holmes would outjab him rather than knock him out also.

Frazier is a tricky one as he could be picked of at will on his way inside, if he were to get inside and it's a fairly big if then he stands a good chance of forcing a stoppage but his style isn't suited to someone with such a dangerous weapon as the Lewis overhand right or uppercut.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Nov 2011, 6:43 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:That Ike gets outboxed quite easily by Lewis, who dominates with his jab and right hand, all well and good taking shots from Tua but a more defensive minded fighter would take less in return as Lewis would.

Ali would outbox Lewis but can't see him knocking him out, peppers him with combos all night while Holmes would outjab him rather than knock him out also.

Frazier is a tricky one as he could be picked of at will on his way inside, if he were to get inside and it's a fairly big if then he stands a good chance of forcing a stoppage but his style isn't suited to someone with such a dangerous weapon as the Lewis overhand right or uppercut.

Ike was a more well rounder boxer with a greater skill set. He was a far better body puncher, inside boxer and a better jab which carried more venom. Lewis had a terrible, pawing jab. Fearsome puncher but weak chin. Once Ike got him in trouble, its goodnight Vienna.

Pity he didn't fulfil his potential. But had he fought Lewis (and Maloney ran a mile from him) he would have KO'd lewis inside 6 pretty comfortably.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next