The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emmanuel Steward: Brits Aren't Used To Being In Wars

+21
Waingro
Imperial Ghosty
coxy0001
ShahenshahG
Steffan
cave_man_KO
TRUSSMAN66
Lance
TopHat24/7
djlovesyou
azania
Bob
John Bloody Wayne
ONETWOFOREVER
Valero's Conscience
Fists of Fury
Captain Lucas
oxring
88Chris05
Scottrf
AlexHuckerby
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Emmanuel Steward: Brits Aren't Used To Being In Wars Empty Emmanuel Steward: Brits Aren't Used To Being In Wars

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:34 am

This is what he said during the Rios/Murray fight. He said that Brits aren't used to being in those type of fights... Having to dig deep do you agree with this comment? Considering I don't think there's much difference between us and Americans being in fights in how often our fighters have to dig deep in compared to theres I think this is a bit of a daft comment.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Emmanuel Steward: Brits Aren't Used To Being In Wars Empty Re: Emmanuel Steward: Brits Aren't Used To Being In Wars

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:36 am

What a clown.

Murrays 2 previous fights against Brits: Mitchell and Buckland Doh

He comes out with some rubbish at times.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Emmanuel Steward: Brits Aren't Used To Being In Wars Empty Re: Emmanuel Steward: Brits Aren't Used To Being In Wars

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:38 am

Have to admit that I find Steward a bit of a puzzling character. Obviously, his record as a trainer speaks for itself, so there's clearly something special about him. But as Scott says, he comes out with some of the most inane and baseless things at times.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:44 am

One of our most famous Brits in recent times was a constant come forward fighter (Ricky Hatton) so to say that about Brits to me is puzzling.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 07 Dec 2011, 11:52 am

Compared with his previous charge, Cotto - who fared so well in a war with Margarito first time out (even though I am suspicious of Marg's fists). Or his other previous charge, Hearns - who fared so well in a war with Hagler

Flippancy aside - I've never really felt that Kronk fighters do that well in "wars". Kronk fighters are built around an excellent jab - and more often than not, they tend to utilise it to fight on the outside. Not the inside.

And its all very well having experience of "wars" - but if you're not winning them - how useful is your repeated experience of losing - if it seems that you're not improving either?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Wed 07 Dec 2011, 12:08 pm

I'm looking at the modern era of British fighters and can't really see which one of them has been in a war - I mean a real war. Hatton, Calzaghe, Haye, Khan ..... Manny has a point. Hatton probably comes the closest but I'd dread to think what would have happened had he thought say a Margarito or Cotto at 147 as opposed to a feather-fisted Collazo who had him out on his feet.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 12:09 pm

Captain Lucas wrote:I'm looking at the modern era of British fighters and can't really see which one of them has been in a war - I mean a real war. Hatton, Calzaghe, Haye, Khan ..... Manny has a point. Hatton probably comes the closest but I'd dread to think what would have happened had he thought say a Margarito or Cotto at 147 as opposed to a feather-fisted Collazo who had him out on his feet.
If they haven't been in wars (presume you missed a few of their fights), then neither have Mayweather, Dawson, Hopkins etc.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 07 Dec 2011, 12:11 pm

Khan - Maidana.
Haye - Mormeck, Fragomeni, Thompson.
Hatton - Tsyzu.

What nonsense.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 07 Dec 2011, 12:33 pm

That Carl Froch guy has been in a couple of decent scraps methinks also.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 07 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:That Carl Froch guy has been in a couple of decent scraps methinks also.

He's the first that springs to mind.

I think the only country where you can say be birthright they love wars is Mexico. Everyone else, it's just as much as any other country IMO.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 07 Dec 2011, 12:57 pm

Puerto Rico and Argentina are usually good for them

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 07 Dec 2011, 1:09 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Puerto Rico and Argentina are usually good for them

I guess we could broaden to say South Americans love wars!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 07 Dec 2011, 1:13 pm

Its not a question of wars really British and European fighters are more technically sound then say Mexican fighters who are taught to leave technique outside the ring. Steward has history working with British fighters so he knows what he is talking about.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 07 Dec 2011, 2:41 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:That Carl Froch guy has been in a couple of decent scraps methinks also.

Mike Tyson on Carl Froch: "He's just warring in there! It is awesome."

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Wed 07 Dec 2011, 2:59 pm

An American saying we don't like wars?

We weren't the ones who showed up two years late for the last big one... Whistle

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:01 pm

2 world wars and one world cup!!!!

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:10 pm

Why's it turning into a UK v US vibe? Steward simply means that whilst some British fighters have been in tough fights - they don't have a track record of real wars like a Marquez v Vasquez, Gatti v Ward, Barerra v Morales type of fights. Of course, Lewis was in one with Vitali but he makes a valid point.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:12 pm

He doesn't make a valid point, unless you compare it to all classic fights from history involving a mixture of nations.

You only have to watch fights at British title level to know it's rubbish.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:18 pm

Captain Lucas wrote:Why's it turning into a UK v US vibe? Steward simply means that whilst some British fighters have been in tough fights - they don't have a track record of real wars like a Marquez v Vasquez, Gatti v Ward, Barerra v Morales type of fights. Of course, Lewis was in one with Vitali but he makes a valid point.

So what you're saying is that besides the fights involving British fighters that were wars, British fighters don't have any track record of being in wars.

I suppose when you put it like that, he has a very good point.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:19 pm

Given he's one of the esteemed boxing fraternity giving his valued opinion in the recent documentary about the Benn/McClellan fight, I think Manny may be suffering from short term memory loss

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:22 pm

When re-watching the most recent Pacquiao-Marquez fight, I remember Steward saying "Marquez is dominating" down the home stretch. Immediately after the decision was announced he claimed that it had been a close fight in which neither fighter took full control, and could have gone either way.

As I said, I can't knock his record as a trainer. He's obviously something special in the department. But as a pundit / commentator, he regularly spouts drivel ranging from the outlandish to the plainly daft.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Dec 2011, 3:25 pm

88Chris05 wrote:When re-watching the most recent Pacquiao-Marquez fight, I remember Steward saying "Marquez is dominating" down the home stretch. Immediately after the decision was announced he claimed that it had been a close fight in which neither fighter took full control, and could have gone either way.

As I said, I can't knock his record as a trainer. He's obviously something special in the department. But as a pundit / commentator, he regularly spouts drivel ranging from the outlandish to the plainly daft.

Wonder what Manny's version of a Dominatrix is? Someone so bad, you end up doing all the work yourself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Wed 07 Dec 2011, 4:48 pm

You can dominate someone without taking full control.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 07 Dec 2011, 5:08 pm

Captain Lucas wrote:You can dominate someone without taking full control.
Headscratch

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 07 Dec 2011, 6:46 pm

to be fair commentating is a hard job. if you have to speak spontaneously for an hour at a time you are likely to say stupid things from time to time. i doubt he meant it or believed what he was aying, just a matter of saying what popped in his head

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 07 Dec 2011, 10:13 pm

Maybe Manny took a stray shot from one of his fighters in training before coming out with this rhubarb.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 08 Dec 2011, 11:35 am

It's a lot easier for a Brit to get to world title level than an American.....I'm sure in a way that's what Steward was referring to.....

It's a tougher road to get noticed as it's a bigger pond and perhaps..it makes you more willing to enter the war zone...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 08 Dec 2011, 11:35 am

Just like Dirrell? Wink

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cave_man_KO Thu 08 Dec 2011, 12:58 pm

Yeah truss you have a valid point...i mean its like kell brook after giong 25-0 has t ogo to america to beat a few punchbags to get noticed is it.

And I get sick of all the american contenders who come over here to get a title shot...

oh wait.

Andre dirrel worked hard for his shot at carl froch....oh hold on

Andre ward, he's travelled a fair bit in his career. Wait nope everyone has to fight him in his hometown.

If the klitchkos were american they would be talked abuot as arguably the most dominating heavyweights and would have been for a long time.

There is so much pro-usa in boxing it is a joke.

cave_man_KO

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 08 Dec 2011, 4:54 pm

cave_man_KO wrote:
If the klitchkos were american they would be talked abuot as arguably the most dominating heavyweights and would have been for a long time.

The most famous boxer of all time is a muslim named Muhammad.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 08 Dec 2011, 6:44 pm

wasnt it a muslim called tyson?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 08 Dec 2011, 6:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It's a lot easier for a Brit to get to world title level than an American

Are you basically saying fighting your way up through the European system is easier that fighting up through the American ranks?

Because if so...on what grounds are you basing that on?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:03 pm

I don't have to back it up...it's obvious..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:15 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I don't have to back it up...it's obvious..

Ok. Silly me...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:21 pm

Mate if you go to a school full of good fighters and I go to a school a third full of good fighters..

Kind of makes your journey a little more difficult....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:24 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:
cave_man_KO wrote:

The most famous boxer of all time is a muslim named Muhammad.

Although I disagree with caveman's point - Ali was american and so was Tyson. It doesn't matter if they are the anti-christ as long as they are American. as to the point - americans give their dull fighters a harder time than we do ours with the only way that matters - they don't pay to watch.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:25 pm

Dare I say it Shah is right.....Whittaker was never a big fighter unless he fought an Oscar, Julio or Felix...

Arguably he was better than them all.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:27 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Mate if you go to a school full of good fighters and I go to a school a third full of good fighters..

Kind of makes your journey a little more difficult....

I was speaking more from a European perspective than just a UK one mind

I know Stewart only mentiond Brits but they have to get through all of Europe to world level as well

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:27 pm

They need a Filipino for any of them to part with their cash.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 08 Dec 2011, 7:32 pm

Really Steffan...Didn't know you had to bother with European opposition to get to world level...these days..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 08 Dec 2011, 8:11 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Really Steffan...Didn't know you had to bother with European opposition to get to world level...these days..

I think you will find most UK champions of recent years who have become a World champion (WBO or not) have been European or Commonwealth champion at some point. Im not saying you go through all of Europe to get there but you dont go from being British champion to world title shots just like that. Im sure you get what im trying to say?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 08 Dec 2011, 10:35 pm

Scottrf wrote:They need a Filipino for any of them to part with their cash.

Sounds like a good night Wink

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 08 Dec 2011, 10:38 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Scottrf wrote:They need a Filipino for any of them to part with their cash.

Sounds like a good night Wink
Laugh

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Thu 08 Dec 2011, 10:52 pm

He's never watched a Eubank or Benn fight then. Or Hatton. Or Froch. Or JC. Or, oh god i can't be arrissed to go on.

Another American who should have his mouth sown shut.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Lucas Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:39 am

coxy0001 wrote:He's never watched a Eubank or Benn fight then. Or Hatton. Or Froch. Or JC. Or, oh god i can't be arrissed to go on.

Which British fighter has been involved in a REAL war like: Marquez v Vasquez, Gatti v Ward, Ali v Frazier, Robinson v LaMotta, Barrera v Morales , Corrales v Castillo, Hagler v Hearns? Of course Brits have been involves in tough scraps but nothing like REAL wars.

Captain Lucas

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:54 am

Try telling that to Chris Finnegan.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Fri 09 Dec 2011, 12:59 am

Lol what a dumb comment from Steward. Has he not seen the wars between Benn and Eubank and Collins and Watson. All British guys in absolute tear ups between each other.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 09 Dec 2011, 11:26 am

Emmanuel Stewart should apologise for this, or else risk losing a huge chunk of respect from many. There is more to the world than America.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 09 Dec 2011, 11:31 am

Captain Lucas wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:He's never watched a Eubank or Benn fight then. Or Hatton. Or Froch. Or JC. Or, oh god i can't be arrissed to go on.

Which British fighter has been involved in a REAL war like: Marquez v Vasquez, Gatti v Ward, Ali v Frazier, Robinson v LaMotta, Barrera v Morales , Corrales v Castillo, Hagler v Hearns? Of course Brits have been involves in tough scraps but nothing like REAL wars.

Can i change my statement to read "Captain Lucas quite clearly hasn't seen Benn vs Eubank I"?

And i think you'll find there's loads of other cases, some tragic. Benn vs Gman wasn't a war then?

You haven't thought your comment out, have you?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 09 Dec 2011, 11:34 am

Captain Lucas wrote:

Take the Mexicans out that list and what are you left with.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next