The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand, South Africa, Tonga and Canada on top in 7's.

+4
miteyironpaw
Geordie
Biltong
blackcanelion
8 posters

Go down

New Zealand, South Africa, Tonga and Canada on top in 7's. Empty New Zealand, South Africa, Tonga and Canada on top in 7's.

Post by blackcanelion Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:17 am

The quarterfinals are:

New Zealand v France
Tonga v England
Canada v Samoa
South Africa v Fiji

In group 1 NZ won though, with Samoa beating Scotland to finish runners up, and Japan finishing last.
In group 2 SA beat England to finish top, with the Cook Islands and US bringing up the rear.
In group 3 Tonga caused a shock by beating Fiji and Argentina and drawing with Wales. Wales and Argentian were then eliminated by Fiji.
In group 4 Canada finished top defeating France and Kenya and narrowly losing to Australia. Australia lost to kenya and drew wth France letting France thrgh on pnts difference.
My overall impression is the standard is on the rise.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

New Zealand, South Africa, Tonga and Canada on top in 7's. Empty Re: New Zealand, South Africa, Tonga and Canada on top in 7's.

Post by Biltong Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:28 am

doesn't justice just seem to give us ample opportunity to f... up.

Three easy quarters and then SA vs Fiji. i just love tournaments in NZ.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

New Zealand, South Africa, Tonga and Canada on top in 7's. Empty Re: New Zealand, South Africa, Tonga and Canada on top in 7's.

Post by Geordie Fri 03 Feb 2012, 11:30 am

Its great that so many smaller nations are being exposed to rugby (albeit the shorter version)

I hope this increases the interest in the main 15 version....in the likes of Kenya etc

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by miteyironpaw Fri 03 Feb 2012, 12:25 pm

I watched a bit this morning before work. Couldn't help notice the extreme number of penalties being awarded in the tackle area. It seems to be very different from previous tournaments, or the players of virtually every team seem to be making a much higher number of mistakes in this area. Or the tackle area has become much more competitive.

Which ever it is, it was really breaking the traditional pace and entertainment value of 7's when a team who are dominant and have gone through 7-8 phases are suddenly penalised on attack for a technical ruck infringement. I found it confusing, disappointing and frustrating.
miteyironpaw
miteyironpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Fri 03 Feb 2012, 1:59 pm

Paddy O'Brein doing his best to destroy rugby even more i see.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 03 Feb 2012, 4:38 pm

Has Hosea Gear been playing blackcanelion?

I have fond memories of attending the Wellington 7s. Here´s some of the costumes this year. I especially like the Katy Perry one...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/6354001/Day-One-Live-Rugby-Sevens

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 03 Feb 2012, 5:58 pm

Tonga were impressive. Their beating of France makes them truly the latest PI giant killers... well done TONGA!

Saw hundreds of uniforms out and about yesterday. Truly areat event peopl must plan months ahead with some of those costumes.

I havnt gone to it recently as I tend to get carried away in the festivities... next day just aint the same... RedWine

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 04 Feb 2012, 3:27 am

Saw a bit today too. Obviously I have to be pulling for a Canada - Tonga final. Now, I have nothing against New Zealand or South Africa, but this would be great for the 7s tour. And for Rugby. And, most importantly, for Rugby in Canada.

Oh, Canada. My home and sacred land...............
(for a little while anyway)

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Feb 2012, 8:31 am

What has surprised me more recently is the competition in the scrum. It always seemed to be just a way to restart the game, like in league, but they really seem to be going for it lately to either get a turnover or disrupt opposition ball. Not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing for 7s but it's interesting to watch a competitive 6 man scrum!

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat 04 Feb 2012, 9:09 am

Final round up:
Cup
1: NZ
2: Fiji
3: England
4: Samoa

Plate
1: SA
2: Tonga
3: France & Canada

Bowl
1: Kenya
2: Australia
3: Wales & Argentina

Shield
1: Scotland
2: Cook Islands
3: USa & Japan

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down