The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+31
SmithersJones
golfermartin
princedracula
4putt
raycastleunited
Slowride
oldparwin
incontinentia
Skydriver
Tiler76
I'm never wrong
Nay
1GrumpyGolfer
Josiah Maiestas
SpacemanSpiff
dynamark
hend085
Faldono1fan
oldshanker
Fader
barragan
super_realist
lorus59
Lairdy
kwinigolfer
mystiroakey
navyblueshorts
Doon the Water
McLaren
Hibbz
Diggers
35 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:32 am

I don't mind Paul Walsh at all, there are at least another 5 on the Sky Soccer Saturday that are way worse. Thompson is annoying , Nicolas just as bad, Merson is funny in an are you simple kind of way. George Best used to be worst of the lot.
I always found Graham Taylor's commentary annoying , that was his voice more than anything though.
In athletics Colin Jackson is very poor as is Denise Lewis.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Hibbz Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:59 am

Sally Bumhole was a memorably appalling interviewer for the athletics. Finished every interview with the hideous expulsion "Wa Dunnnnee" (Well Done)

All the football ones drive me demented. Everything is a little this and a little that. I quite liked Alan Smith when he was first on but seems to be dropping down to the usual level. Robbie Savage is a complete cretin but despite driving me mad initially I have to confess he may be growing on me and does at least appear to have his own (maybe childish) style.

On the other hand I can listen to the cricket commentary on tv or radio for hours and not get annoyed. Maybe with the exception of Boycott who (despite having his own style) can begin to grate a bit when he goes on. Oh and Botham would need about 15 fielders for all the places he claims he'd have had them.

Willie Thorne on the snooker claims the prize as the worst ever but I always smile when I hear him because I know he's going to be annoying a couple of pals of mine even more.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:28 am

What do you guys think of Gary Neville as a commentator and pundit?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:32 am

For a wee laugh type 'askew' into your google browser.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 24 Apr 2012, 10:50 am

McLaren wrote:What do you guys think of Gary Neville as a commentator and pundit?

I thought he was shocking to start with, a face for radio but unfortunately not the voice for it. And he was so nervous at the start, you felt uncomfortable watching him.
But as he has relaxed I feel he has improved beyond recognition and is actually doing really well.
I have remembered who the worst ever commentator in the history of the world is...Andy Gray. Just shows how quickly you can forget people....thank god. Him and the sycophantic hairy ape Keys used to turn my stomach. With Gray it wasnt about opinion, it was about him stating fact as nobody could ever know any better. Im starting to get angry even thinking about him....

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 24 Apr 2012, 11:35 am

I've been a fan of Neville so far as a pundit but I've a horrible feeling as he gets more confident he'll become far to full of his own self importance and start stating opinions as fact.

I also think when he's actually commentating on the game he has a fear of silence and as such speaks too much. This conversely may improve as he becomes more confident.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 24 Apr 2012, 11:43 am

Also can someone please explain to me how Olympic Football has suddenly become a serious sporting event just because it's being hosted in England?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 24 Apr 2012, 12:11 pm

Gary Neville - better than I expected. He still makes me grind my teeth (as he did throughout his playing career) but he could be good I think. More independent than I would have thought given his recent retirement and the fact he's commenting on players he knows well and played with/against.

I actually quite like Robbie Savage as well. Bit of a berk at times but in a commentating/pundit world full of ex-pros who won't say it like it actually is or are so dull (are you reading this Alan Shearer?), he's quite refreshing. Can laugh at himself as well which is good.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 24 Apr 2012, 12:23 pm

Hibbz wrote:Also can someone please explain to me how Olympic Football has suddenly become a serious sporting event just because it's being hosted in England?

who told you that then?

i think it may be getting talk because its the first time we have played in it- but other than that i am not sure it is being over talked about- however everything bar the football is sold out(point being way more tickets available)- so in a way it is good to get exposure so they can sell more tickets

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 24 Apr 2012, 12:24 pm

I also quite like Robbie savage, it was funny last week when Forrest were playing someone and he spoke to a local journalist. Afterwards he said something about the guy not being able to look him in the eye due to writing a less than flattering piece on him at some point when he was a player.

Gary Neville seems to have a better idea about what it is modern teams are trying to do compared to some of those who have been out the game for a while. So far I like him.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 24 Apr 2012, 12:25 pm

Gary Neville's been pretty good when I've heard him.
Also liked Robbie Earle, but of those that we get prefer Craig Burley and Davy Provan to the rest.

Some are just awful, Graham Taylor, Joe Royle (tho he seems to have been dispensed with for us), David Pleat etc.

We don't ever hear Savage, Merson etc.

Couldn't care less about Walsh's accent but he's borderline illiterate and master of the irrelevant.

ESPN offer us Ian Darke and Steve McMannaman as a regular diet; once you get used to McMannaman's repetetive phrases they're quite good.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Tue 24 Apr 2012, 12:37 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Hibbz wrote:Also can someone please explain to me how Olympic Football has suddenly become a serious sporting event just because it's being hosted in England?

who told you that then?

i think it may be getting talk because its the first time we have played in it- but other than that i am not sure it is being over talked about- however everything bar the football is sold out(point being way more tickets available)- so in a way it is good to get exposure so they can sell more tickets

I've just seen the draw live on the BBC, they also had a studio gang of three discussing it before and afterwards as a serious sporting event, i.e. who they thought would win, who'd play in various matches etc so I'm guessing they're taking it seriously.

Garth Crooks was one of the three and he was certainly talking about it in a very serious manner, then again I suspect he talks about how many sugars he'd like in his brew in a serious manner so maybe not the best example.

I am pleased that you agree it isn't a serious event though.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 24 Apr 2012, 12:41 pm

I do also like Robbie Earle.
Garth Crooks...........what a pompous moron. There is nothing worse than someone with limited intelligence trying to act like an intellectual....and I should know..... Whistle

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Tue 24 Apr 2012, 12:56 pm

I agree on Garth Crooks the master of stating the bleedin' obvious whilst making it sound oh so matter of fact at the same time... he's just rubbish.

Gary Neville is great at not holding back with his criticism. Loving his both barrells approach!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 24 Apr 2012, 1:12 pm

Yeah. Garth Crooks - awful.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 24 Apr 2012, 1:20 pm

I have to say I really like Craig Burley. I think he has a sarcastic humour that I like.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 24 Apr 2012, 2:05 pm

Pat Nevin is a good pundit, too clever for Scottish television though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:57 pm

Not even the all knowing super realist can have seen that one coming?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 25 Apr 2012, 2:58 am

One of the rare times to pull for Chelsea.

How do you like "Why always me" Terry:
"Hopefully the people out there who know me, know I'm not that sort of player."?
Of course he's that sort of player.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Just don't deny it!

Chelsea in deep weeds if Cahill and Luiz are not fully fit.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 25 Apr 2012, 8:49 am

Good result for Chelsea. Terry though? He's always been a thug....and a pretty thick one at that.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:02 am

Gary Neville good analyst but a dreadful commentator!

Agreed Super - Pat Nevin is far to clever for the Scottish football viewers, probably why no one likes him up here.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Apr 2012, 9:22 am

Do people not like him Lairdy?
I find thst surprising. I suppose they prefer Derek Johnston or Archie McPherson

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:29 am

You mean Archie "that's a better ball" Mc Pherson.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:36 am

Archie 'he's going to let fly' McPherson.

One of the worst commentators of all time.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 25 Apr 2012, 10:48 am

Anyone watching any snooker? The two Mark's (Allen and Williams) getting into more trouble...and facing potential bans/fines. What a farse. Anyone else think the crooked Hearn is putting them up to it?! The John Higgins fiasco was all publicity driven surely (not from JH's point of view).

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Wed 25 Apr 2012, 11:36 am

super_realist wrote:Do people not like him Lairdy?
I find thst surprising. I suppose they prefer Derek Johnston or Archie McPherson

That's the impression I get. Think the average fan in this country just prefers a pundit who will sit there and tell them their team won their battles and work hard. Or didnt. Anything beyond that is confusing for most I believe.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Apr 2012, 11:47 am

i feel like i must be the only person who never cares about most commentators- i just listen or i dont , all say half decent things, all say things i dont agree with. its no different from reading posts on message boards. There are all as good and as bad as each other

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 25 Apr 2012, 12:15 pm

Mysti, the difference between commentators and message boards is that on a message board if someone says something stupid or something you don't agree with you can respond and they will read it.

They haven't yet invented a TV that can hear when you shout at it (not that it always stops you shouting anyway!), though you are right in saying that you don't have to listen.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Wed 25 Apr 2012, 4:30 pm

I have never heard anyone say that they did not like Pat Nevin. In fact the exact oposite, he is head and shoulders above the rest of the other analysts

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 25 Apr 2012, 5:03 pm

wrong thread

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 28 Apr 2012, 3:33 pm

Does anyone play here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-17880218

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sat 28 Apr 2012, 4:29 pm

McLaren wrote:Does anyone play here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-17880218

Clearly I don't play there as I live in kent. BUT I have actually been to that golf club twice, once for a sunday lunch and another visit for a wedding function. My ex, the mother of my kiddies or asmy dad says "she who we do not speak of"! He whole family live in Crook; its a very nice little village. Well it usually is! Bit shocked at that bit of news. Only about a 20minute drive from Durham and a short trip to Newcastle.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 28 Apr 2012, 4:59 pm

I wonder if the club offer suicide pacts with the wedding package for when married life all gets a little too much?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 28 Apr 2012, 5:08 pm

I did have a quiet chuckle to myself today.

Talked to my neighbour from over the field and asked him how his Border Terrier pup was doing.
Bad move.. seemingly he had escaped over the other field and ate the pet giunea pig pet of his other neighbours

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 29 Apr 2012, 10:38 am

Well.....I have been looking at crossover spikeless shoes for the coming summer, but if this *drought* goes on much longer, maybe I had better buy an aqualung instead. Whistle

It's been droughting all night and yesterday and there is a foot deep puddle of drought outside my back door!!

Wonder if it is going to stop and if not, should I buy some sunproofs for my forthcoming trip up to Doonland?
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sun 29 Apr 2012, 5:53 pm

Bit windy and nippy up here today OS.
Played Kintyre last week and it was pretty mean. Fairways were tight and running.
I'm watching the Western Isles forecast [as you know we are away at the same time] and it seems OK. Same for Ayrshire.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 29 Apr 2012, 6:09 pm

With a bit of luck and hopefully the same at Stan Drews and your old Gaff from Wednesday to Sunday.

I'll look to the West when up there and raise a glass of Glenfarclas to your health.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Tue 01 May 2012, 8:51 am

So the blue half of manchester taught the red half a lesson in football, the utd players failing even to register a shot on target! Pitiful stat that for title contenders. City simply wanted it more and deserved it for getting their tactics bang on. Paul Scholes yet again showcasing he has no ability to tackle so took to trying to kick Toure off the park but realised he's bigger stronger and can dish out more punishment than Scholes can!

Of course I'm only talking about the Manc derby to deflect from my own teams woes, our owners should stick to fried chicken and stop selling the players that could have kept our once Premier League champions team up. But alas unless a miracle occurs I fear my beloved Blackburn Rovers are doomed!

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 01 May 2012, 9:17 am

Think the fact Man United are still in it with a team that's a pale shadow of some of their recent efforts says a lot about the so-say 'best League in the World'. Scholes' recall and Giggs remaining presence speaks volumes for me.

Best thing for me was SAF getting all hot under the collar and Mancini basically laughing it all off. Still, it's not a done deal yet.

Incidentally Mac, no comment from your good self? Cool
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 01 May 2012, 12:38 pm

Navy

I actually mentioned how poor united were on Kwini's thread. I can only hope Newcastle really want that fourth spot and do us a favour.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 01 May 2012, 3:40 pm

I assume the English know how lucky they are to get a forward looking intelligent manager like Hodgson over someone like Arry Redknap?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 01 May 2012, 6:44 pm

Mac
Have you seen the press notes, started already.
They have not
More fool them
Silly Little Englanders

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 01 May 2012, 6:57 pm

McLaren wrote:I assume the English know how lucky they are to get a forward looking intelligent manager like Hodgson over someone like Arry Redknap?

in what way is he forward thinking other than the obvious allways looking forward to his next job?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 01 May 2012, 7:20 pm

According to a guy on 5 live Hodgson uses a lot more science and statistics in his training methods compared to most English coaches. I would imagine he also has a better idea about youth development.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 01 May 2012, 7:26 pm

well i am hoping he will do well. however personally and as sad as it may sound- redknapp is a man manager that i feel could have got the best out of our players, i feel the better option was to pick a manager that compliments the players we have, rather than picking a manager that will try and develop a system that they can play in.Hodgson seems like another sterile choice, a sven or a capello, but not even as proven!!

however he may have bags of both, but can he relate all this back to the english players- do our players even respect him. As bad as that sounds sometimes you have to just accept the situation.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Tue 01 May 2012, 7:26 pm

Little Englanders! Bit offensive can we say tight backsided, weird speaking jock mcsporrans then!

I'm joking of course but the them and us thing in the uk is imo pointless.

On Hodgson, I'm happy with his appointment, was not given fair chance at Liverpool and imo a better CV than Arry'

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 01 May 2012, 7:35 pm

" a better CV than Arry"

Apart from an FA cup what does arry actually have on his CV? With some more tactical nous the current Spurs squad would be comfortable top 4.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Tue 01 May 2012, 7:41 pm

That's my point Mac and a reason I agree with you regarding Hodgson appointment. all this clamour for Redknapp who in such a long career has managed only one actual top club and won just a single piece of silverware! Hardly a glittering endorsement of tactical nous!

Whereas Hodgson has managed the world over including the likes of Inter when italian football was the premier, and knows how to qualify for major tournaments as has done with the Swiss and taken a club like Fulham to a Europa final

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 01 May 2012, 8:03 pm

hodgson is a failed manager in every single appointment he has taken.

what legacy has he ever built.

now dont get me wrong- arry hasnt either- however the bloke is loved and respected by his players.He would have been able to relate to the england players and they will be able to relate to him.

people underestimate what is the important factor when appointing a 'manager'- people forget what it takes to be successfull.

and that is to be repsected over a period of time.

below are examples of success and non success

england won the 6 nations last year under MJ, it wasnt looked as a good acheivement, england got 3 quarter finals on the spin under sven- he and capello also had amzing win ratio's with england- however under all the regimes fans wernt impressed-the players looked beat up, the players didnt even look like there wanted to be there, problems in all camps..

england rugby under SL- the guy did well, and us fans felt better about the situation even though we lost out to wales- because we could see an improvement , we almost started from scratch and improved every game- we as fans respected the way we played and beleive in the team.

Success isnt just about winning- england havent a team good enough to win every game- but what we want is to be proud of our players. therefore england football need a man manager- we need someone who can spark an interest, a belief, we wanna go down fighting- like we did under venebles, arry was the perfect choice for our england football players!

Hodgson looks and sounds like that headmaster type that hasnt got a scooby about who our players are or where they have come from. The guy is out of touch and has never even stuck at a job.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 01 May 2012, 9:11 pm

Sorry myst, I completely disagree with you. Our problem is the players. End of. They don't give a **** about playing for England. If anyone thinks you need a manager to motivate you to play for your Nation it's a poor show.
Combined with the media non-entities it'll just be the usual.

Hodgson and legacy? Fulham?
Respect? Surely that comes from knowledge. How can you say Hodgson doesn't have that when anyone who's played under him disagrees with you?
Just out of interest, whom would you have as England manager? We're waiting...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next