The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+31
SmithersJones
golfermartin
princedracula
4putt
raycastleunited
Slowride
oldparwin
incontinentia
Skydriver
Tiler76
I'm never wrong
Nay
1GrumpyGolfer
Josiah Maiestas
SpacemanSpiff
dynamark
hend085
Faldono1fan
oldshanker
Fader
barragan
super_realist
lorus59
Lairdy
kwinigolfer
mystiroakey
navyblueshorts
Doon the Water
McLaren
Hibbz
Diggers
35 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Tue 24 Apr 2012, 9:32 am

First topic message reminder :

I don't mind Paul Walsh at all, there are at least another 5 on the Sky Soccer Saturday that are way worse. Thompson is annoying , Nicolas just as bad, Merson is funny in an are you simple kind of way. George Best used to be worst of the lot.
I always found Graham Taylor's commentary annoying , that was his voice more than anything though.
In athletics Colin Jackson is very poor as is Denise Lewis.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 08 Jun 2012, 10:59 pm

On a completely different track, watching some BBC Four recordings of punk acts from the '70s which brings back some memories and the realisation that there was some good stuff around then. Long way from Simon Cowell.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:00 pm

cool... I love that stuff

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:05 pm

Some rubbish as well but some real classics too. Still find it surprising that The Sex Pistols only released a single album and 4 singles I think. "Better to burn out than fade away" and all that...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 08 Jun 2012, 11:12 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Fader wrote:To move away from football for a moment but on the theme of selection issues, one of the only things I would have watched at the Olympics would have been the Tae Kwondo, but now I will not watch a moment.

British Olympic Association & GB Taekwondo have confirmed World No.59 Lutalo Muhammad will compete in Olympics instead of World No.1 Aaron Cook, who is leagues beyond any other competitor right now as they want a more ethnically diverse team. Imo creed should be irrelevant as only the best should be picked to compete and the worlds best is being left out so the BOA can be politically correct.
I'm 100% with you. On the face of it (and I can't see any other way to take it), this is a farce. I like the Taekwondo but I have a sneaking wish to see Muhammad get KO'd, which is sad as it's nothing to do with him.

I love the Taekwondo as mentioned on here before when chatting to diggers many weeks ago, I've been doing Taekwondo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for many years but that's another storey. So as someone that's really in to my martial arts and formerly competing at local level, I take this to heart that the outright No1 can be overlooked so that BOA can be seen to be PC and doing the right thing. How they couldn't be more wrong.

Like you I have the urge now to want to see Lutong get taken out early, not. Because I don't like him, but purely to show the BOA up for selecting an inferior fighter. The only way I can compare it to mainstream selection is it'd be like Jamaica picking an 11 second sprinter over Bolt to run the 100m, the gulf between the 2 is that big.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:00 pm

Had a hold of one of the relay torches this morning. Very nicely designed piece of metal.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:01 pm

ban

Were you one of the carriers? and if so how did you get picked?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:10 pm

Nope - just happened to be in the company of one of the entourage.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:12 pm

So have I missed the torch then, as I did not see or hear it going past?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 13 Jun 2012, 4:14 pm

Its in Edinburgh today or tomorrow. Each of the carriers get there own one so i guess the one i saw will be in use shortly.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:04 am

So to broach the Redknapp subject! I'm by no means a Spurs or a Redknapp fan but considering he got them from bottom of league to European football in consecutive years, and that they only missed out on Champions by virtue of Chelsea win. Is this not a bit of Tottenham slapping him in the face and not considering what/who the fans want?

Where's he go next and who takes over Spurs! Seems bookies are putting smart money on Moyes

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Jun 2012, 9:56 am

Moyes better not go to spurs, I really want him to replace Sir alex when the time comes. He will be ruined if he takes over spurs.

Harry will have to retire, unless he is willing to manage in the lower leagues.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:00 am

On the face of it, it seems a dumb decision motivated by some sort of personal pique. I hope Spurs crash and burn. Just who do they seriously think will take over and do a (consistently) better job? Moronic.

McLaren wrote:...Harry will have to retire, unless he is willing to manage in the lower leagues.
picard
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:06 am

I think Harry will retire personally. Just do some studio work and the usual public appearances. He has enough cash and loves his golf, where is he going to go thats a big job ? His wife wont let him leave to anywhere where he cant commute home.
Kinda hope Moyes gets the gig, doesnt seem like a natural fit in the sense that Moyes doesnt really play expansive Spurs style football but maybe that will change if he gets to splash the cash.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:10 am

Navy

Where would he go?

He will probably price himself out of the lower quarter of teams and Villa, liverpool, Everton (currently), chelsea dont need a manager.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:14 am

He may retire (who'd blame him?) but it's not as if he needs the cash is it? I don't suppose he'd go straight into another post in the Premiership if there's no position but who's to say he wouldn't take a drop in salary to do something he clearly enjoys?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 17 Jun 2012, 9:55 pm

I have not laughed this much in a long time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/18479244

Surely a fine or something would have been enough?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Sun 17 Jun 2012, 10:00 pm

Mac. I agree with you totally I heard the outcome of the match on talksport whilst in the car. Couldn't believe he'd been DQ'd for kicking a hoarding which inadvertently injured an umpire.

Surely a slapped wrist and even 50% of the winners purse had he won which was likely would've been better and not robbed spectators of sport they'd paid good money to watch.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 17 Jun 2012, 10:35 pm

He is a complete tool though. The reason I'm glad he was disqualified is that he never apologised which to me is just pathetic. It was a pretty nasty gash, the poor bloke at least deserved a sorry.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 17 Jun 2012, 10:44 pm

Diggers

It was a minor graze, the guy made more of it than your average Arjen Roben theatrics.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 17 Jun 2012, 10:49 pm

Looked quite nasty to me Mac. Like I say, common courtesy would be an apology. Nandos always been an arrogant soloist.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 17 Jun 2012, 10:51 pm

I just cant take to the pious types that seem to enjoy officiating sports.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 17 Jun 2012, 11:41 pm

Re. The crazy Argie. It was consistent officiating; Henman got DQ'd from Wimbledon for accidently hitting a ball girl with the ball after he hit it away in frustration after losing a point, game, set etc.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:00 am

I must have missed something. The officials do their job properly and it's them that are getting it in the neck??
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:03 am

To be honest i dont think there is anything else the officals could have done...

Gutting for the fans mind. But one of them things.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:18 am

I agree it was hilarious. The delayed reaction was brilliant, like Paul Alcock when Di Canio pushed him over.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 18 Jun 2012, 8:59 am

The guy through a cup of water I've an official at the Aussie Open as well. He's a jerk.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Jun 2012, 9:24 am

Plus he's too fat to be a top player.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 18 Jun 2012, 9:58 am

Fader have you seen it now? He was lucky the guy didnt strike back at him.
Got me wondering about golf what would you have to do to get a red card as it were.
Nalbandian should get a season off for that.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Jun 2012, 10:56 am

The official acted like a kid with a skinned knee, it was nothing. He should have remained seated for a moment and then rebuilt the hoarding.

I remember once in a junior competition I “abused” a volunteer who could not find my ball, despite the fact it practically landed in his flask. I think I may have called him a bad word or something. I proceeded to receive a real dressing down back in the clubhouse and my dad had to try very hard to smooth over the situation.

The guy had the cheek to claim I should have shouted four and he would have known it was coming. But what the hell was he doing if he was not watching the balls!!!
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:05 am

Looked pretty violent to me.If he had kicked the hoarding to the side may have been a different story but directly at the official -not good.
tennis tour have a rule and they all knew what would happen.Given the chance to apologise and still no grace shown.Tour is better off without.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:05 am

Im with DM, if he had done that to me Id have picked up the hoarding and whacked him with it. Seriously, how thick is he, what did he think was going to happen if he kicked it that hard.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:09 am

I haven't seen the actual incident so merely commenting on the radio reportsn will look later and make a proper judgment. But agree that Nalbandian has history of arrogance and poor attitude! Pretty typical argentinian on that basis!

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:23 am

No be honest diggers you would have nutted him!
Would have liked to see a younger guy square up to him. Live sport dont you love it.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:28 am

I used to play tennis in comps at crystal palace. I got banned for swearing at the ref...

Come to think of it that was the last time i played- I might have been a pro if it wasnt for that.

Maybe This is the problem with british tennis....This stuck up attitude!(note that i probally got the swearing attitude from my fav player that was mcenroe!!)

I mean the stuff i got up to at the golf club pailed in comparison to that- they were much more lenient with me!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:34 am

The key point is - although i do agree that bad behaviour should be punished. The fact is they obviously dont punish youngsters in other countries on the same level. Therefore we loose out in the scheme of things!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:37 am

I can't believe people are defending Nalbandian. It was probably GBH and certainly ABH. If he'd done it in the street he'd have been arrested so defaulting a tennis match seems like a lucky escape to me.

It was very funny though.

I'm surprised you seem proud of your actions mysti. I don't think swearing would actually have improved your game and seeing as it isn't allowed surely continuing to do it just makes you stupid?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:40 am

Hibbz

I think a lot of mysti's posts are lost in translation. Although I am not sure what they are translated from or to?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:42 am

I am not proud of them at all hibbz. just making an honest point- I have grown up dude. The pompus attittude of certain british sports hinders those sports to the masses- Mine is an example of that.

I dont pretend to be something different on a forum. We all make mistakes, but most of us learn(including myself).. This forum occasionally mirrors that pompous behaviour!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:43 am

McLaren wrote:Hibbz

I think a lot of mysti's posts are lost in translation. Although I am not sure what they are translated from or to?

Can you honestly not see the point i am trying to make?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:51 am

Hmm it sounded pretty much like you were trying to impress people with your "outrageous" antics to me.

I'd suggest the problem as you call it for British tennis is much the same for other sports in that Britain doesn't specialise in sports. The population isn't large enough to produce world class athletes across all disciplines.

Then again it can only be considered a problem if your enjoyment of sport is affected by the need to attach yourself to someone who happens to have been born in the same country as yourself.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:55 am

Hibbz thats ludicrous dude. It was a case in point. tennis is way to classest in this country and that is fact! And the resaon why we are so rubbish at the game.

The amount of golfers we have will show you that we can produce. Tennis is the only major sport we play(and invented) that we are below par at.

You have a very strange attitude when it comes to sport. You cant understand the need to support your fellow countrymen. Must of us can. However i even pointed out that it was possibly Mcenroe(american) that not only got me into playing tennis but also could have been the reason i did swear at a ref

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:59 am

Mysti

On average, how many cans of Red bull are in your system when you make a post?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:02 pm

Mac- Do you enjoy your life?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:03 pm

I agree tennis is way to up iteslf. But I dont really see what that has to do with incidents like yesterdays to be honest.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:05 pm

Sounds like the police are indeed investigating.

Presumably, there's an abundance of evidence in terms of convenient video footage, several hundred eye witnesses etc etc...

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm

Maybe i deviated on topic- but the fact Is we are getting posts on here saying that its typical of an argentinian sportsman. That isnt typical of a british tennis player or golfer(elite sports). Therefore junior talent maybe getting cast out of our country for reasons that they wouldnt get cast out for from another countr

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:09 pm

Mac is right but I'll attempt to get what I think you mean Mysti. Is it that because England have some good golfers, were the English to focus on tennis they would have some good tennis players too but that the poor aren't able to keep their shirts and shorts white enough to fit in?

As I say the problem with that is that were those golfers to have focused on playing tennis then you'd be bemoaning the fact that England didn't have any good golfers.

Then again if the pikey unwashed masses are unable to hire a tennis court and a couple of bats then I'm not sure how they manage to sneak onto a golf course with their sticks and stones to have a thrash around.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:11 pm

Being DQ'd is a rarity in tennis, wasnt the last one over here a Brit in Henman after hitting a ball at a ballgirl ?
Usually the bad behavious is just a bit of ranting and swearing and racket abuse, which lets face it Murray does as much as anyone. So not sure that the behaviour point is all that valid in relation to Brits.
But as to the larger conversation of access to the game I completely agree. But I would say its easier for a kid to play tennis in the UK that play golf. So which sport is really more elitist ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:12 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Maybe i deviated on topic- but the fact Is we are getting posts on here saying that its typical of an argentinian sportsman. That isnt typical of a british tennis player or golfer(elite sports). Therefore junior talent maybe getting cast out of our country for reasons that they wouldnt get cast out for from another countr

I think it was only one post about it being typical of Argentinians but I agree it was pretty unpleasant. I decided to ignore it as the poster would just claim it as a "joke" and that I was being too sensitive.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:15 pm

Mac hasnt been a apart of this disscusion Hibbz. He is obviously just bored and on a wum

And no that isnt my point at all. I dont think you could have got it any more wrong

We dont focus on Golf at all in this country - it is completly private sector as is tennis- Its just that golf clubs have dramatically changed in there ways over the years(we have free memberships for juniours or at least only 100 pounds a year). That doesnt happen in Tennis.

Yes this is more than likely down to the infrastructre of the respective sports. Tennis clubs only have a certain amount of courts and members cant just jump on a court- bascially there is limited resources. Whereas juniours can just play or practise golf due to its nature almost whenever they want.

But the fact is that because tennis is so elitest in its nature it doesnt warm to the massess on a participation level.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next