The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting match up!

+7
azania
Sugar Boy Sweetie
88Chris05
manos de piedra
Steffan
AlexHuckerby
ONETWOFOREVER
11 posters

Go down

Interesting match up! Empty Interesting match up!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 27 May 2012, 9:01 pm

A lot has been said about Froch and he deserves the plaudits but in terms of supermiddle weight glory I want to know how you think the current prime Froch would get on against 93/94 James Toney?

Its seems Froch will go down as 1 of the greatest super middles ever so as to blood him in as it were I wondered how he fairs in this fight.

cheers

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Interesting match up! Empty Re: Interesting match up!

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 27 May 2012, 9:04 pm

I have to feel that Frochs speed will let him down and some of his crudewr attributes, Toney to be a bit too cute for him and outbox him to something like a 117 - 111.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 27 May 2012, 9:06 pm

Toney wins this in a shutout UD

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 27 May 2012, 9:09 pm

Toney at his peak for me. Still feel Froch is maybe a step behind the likes of Ward, Calzaghe, Toney and Jones at the weight in terms of ability.

Would love to see Froch v Collins for real blood and thunder.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 27 May 2012, 9:23 pm

Jones jnr humiliates Froch I think we can all agree on that but Toney even at his peak might be perfect for Froch. I am sure Froch would have to be the aggresser just like prince charles did to Toney before getting sparked in the final round.

There has been some great SM champions but I think for Froch to get in the club he would have to ko Toney.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 27 May 2012, 9:39 pm

Toney via a wide decision all day and every day for me, if we're talking about peak versus peak here.

Toney on his A-game (which he consistently brought to the ring with him at 168 lb before running in to Jones) simply has far too much defensive nous movement for Froch to have a successful run at him. I'd imagine this would be a horrifically frustrating night for Carl; jabbed and counter right handed all over the place and unable to land any telling blows on Toney, whose fighting in the pocket is unlike anything Froch has faced.

Froch's magnificent chin would keep him there until the final bell, but Toney wins this one with a little to spare. Something like 117-111, 117-111 and 116-112 on the cards, I'd imagine.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 27 May 2012, 9:44 pm

Prime for prime a game Froch gets out-manoeuvred and outclassed. At his 168lb best Toney was better than anyone around at SMW these days and much as I like Froch in terms of technical ability he's a division below. Toney by wide decision.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 9:46 pm

I wouldn't write off Froch's chances against Toney. In terms of ability, Toney was light years ahead. But he was often lazy in fights and won a couple of dubious decisions. Telasco (or something like that) was totally robbed. A few fights where Toney was expected to win comfortably, he struggled. Then he gave the masterclass against Iran. The same Iran who was beat up in a round by Benn.

Toney was cute and supremely talented. But he was often very lazy.

Prime for prime and at their very best, Toney would win my a big majority. But with Toney you never know.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sun 27 May 2012, 9:53 pm

Prime Toney was a class fighter definitely a Toney U/D, having said that not many supermiddles in history beat prime Toney.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 27 May 2012, 9:56 pm

You guys talk about movement but look how Froch employed his tactics last night against the ever moving Bute. He boxed off the back foot and came forward in bursts untill he had his man hurt. If he used the same tactics against Toney coupled with his power and great chin then maybe he could cause Toney real problems.

I see Toney winning a hard fought fight by decision. Pot shotting Froch to victory.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 10:02 pm

Toney at his best was a class above Bute. Class above Froch to be fair. Why couldn't Froch employ the same tactics against Ward? Because Ward didn't allow it. Better fighter.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sun 27 May 2012, 10:07 pm

Great performance last night from Carl but he is in a league below the greatest at 168 where Toney clearly belongs. I see James connecting regularly with combinations without shipping punishment and although I doubt if he could stop Carl, I reckon he might be able to put him on the floor at some point in the fight. Near shout out decision.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 27 May 2012, 10:07 pm

Yeah but I think there is a danger in taking too much from the back of one (albeit excellent) win for Froch. Bute was for all intents and purposes unproven at the very top level. Toney at his best was top class.

Style wise Toney liked to make his opponent do the work and I dont think would drawn into chasing the fight the way Bute started off.

As good as Froch was last night, you would also have to consider his fights with Taylor or Ward also when thinking about how the fight with Toney might go. But unlike Taylor, Toney is far far harder to stop and nowhere near as vunerable.

Froch probably has the better SMW record than Toney now though.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 27 May 2012, 10:11 pm

azania wrote:I wouldn't write off Froch's chances against Toney. In terms of ability, Toney was light years ahead. But he was often lazy in fights and won a couple of dubious decisions. Telasco (or something like that) was totally robbed. A few fights where Toney was expected to win comfortably, he struggled.

Not really the fairest picture of Toney the Super-Middleweight though, Az.

The Tiberi fight, which I agree he 'won' via nothing more than a poor decision, was at Middleweight, where I accept he did flatter to deceive a little at times. Nonetheless, his performances at 160lb against Nunn (don't listen to all that cobblers about him being desperately outclassed before landing a lucky punch - Nunn didn't win a round after the half way stage) and McCallum second time out showed what he was capable of.

But at Super-Middleweight, he was like a whole new fighter, a different animal completely. No more struggling against opponents he should have been breezing past, no more fighting in spurts, and a refined killer instinct. I'll maintain what I said the other day; in terms of natural ability and skill set, Hopkins isn't in the same league as Toney, who remains a wasted talent. But at 168 lb, for a while, he really was looking like the great, great fighter he should have gone on to be.

We all know about the Barkley fight, but Tim Littles was a gem, too, but my favourite Toney fight was his absolutely wonderful display against Williams, in what was a barnstormer of a fight. His inside work in the first half was fantastic, and the way in which he ran away with the fight in the latter stages when he began to give himself some room and work at range was superb. And, of course, there was that picture-perfect knockout.

Very, very difficult to see what Froch could possibly do with that version of 'Lights Out.'
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 27 May 2012, 10:15 pm

Got the weights messed up. Perhaps a visit to boxrec is in order.

But my point still stands. Toney, whilst a brilliant boxer had this annoying tendency to fight flat. But, if they both brought their A game, Toney would have a field day against Froch and all other super mids bar Jones.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 27 May 2012, 10:27 pm

I suppose it depends if Carl brings an All-you-can-eat buffet along to the ring??? Yahoo

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Mon 28 May 2012, 10:11 am

Toney's defence was sublime and Froch would struggle to land a glove on him. Even if he could, Toney is one of the most durable fighters I've seen with a great chin. Really bad match up for Carl and don't see how the Bute win as good as it was has any bearing on this one.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down