The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread.

+66
Morgannwg
aitchw
Hound_of_Harrow
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
glamorganalun
wales606
Duty281
doctornickolas
GLove39
trebellbobaggins
welshy6
stormers1
mystiroakey
lostinwales
Knowsit17
thebluesmancometh
PJHolybloke
Hood83
KickAndChase
Rory_Gallagher
Pal Joey
Manu's Boxing Coach
SimonofSurrey
maestegmafia
Zander
Taylorman
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
nobbled
doctor_grey
Wydnej
sad_gimp
pbuk0
nathan
Beaker
timhen
niwatts
DaveM
andyi
Geordie
hugehandoff
DAVESA
Effervescing Elephant
Chjw131
Cumbrian
RubyGuby
mr_stonelea
EnglishReign
gregortree
btown
Rugby Uberlord
yappysnap
lammergeier
Big
Ozzy3213
formerly known as Sam
Triangulation
ChequeredJersey
protea438
Toadfish
FerN
Bullsbok
screamingaddabs
fa0019
Knackeredknees
LondonTiger
Biltong
70 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Who will win and by how much?

SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Vote_lcap10%SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 6 ]
SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Vote_lcap18%SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 11 ]
SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Vote_lcap15%SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 9 ]
SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Vote_lcap8%SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 5 ]
SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Vote_lcap34%SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 21 ]
SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Vote_lcap10%SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 6 ]
SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Vote_lcap5%SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 61

SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Empty SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread.

Post by Biltong Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:08 am

First topic message reminder :

England

A Goode; C Ashton, J Joseph, M Tuilagi, B Foden; T Flood, D Care; A Corbisiero, D Hartley (capt), D Cole, T Palmer, G Parling, T Johnson, J Haskell, T Waldrom.

Replacements : L Mears, J Marler, M Botha, P Dowson, L Dickson, O Farrell, B Barritt.

Lancaster said: “I am really pleased for Alex [Goode]. He has worked hard in training and has been pushing Mike Brown and Ben Foden close so we are looking forward to him bringing his footballing skills to this Test. Danny Care likewise has bided his time in a very competitive position, knuckled down and deserves his chance, as has James Haskell, who has played this season for the Highlanders at No 7.

“We felt that the pack got some momentum in the second half last week so we have gone for Alex [Corbisiero] and Tom [Palmer], but I am sure Joe Marler and Mo Botha can make an impact from the bench.

“The guys did the shirt proud in Potchefstroom on Tuesday and I have no doubt that the 22 involved on Saturday will rise to this final challenge as we look to end this almost 12-month season on a high.”

South Africa

Gio Aplon, JP Pietersen, Jean de Villiers, Wynand Olivier, Bryan Habana, Morne Steyn, Francois Hougaard; Tendai Mtawarira, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Eben Etzebeth, Juandre Kruger, Marcell Coetzee, Jaques Potgieter, Pierre Spies

Replacements: Adriaan Strauss, Werner Kruger, Flip van der Merwe, Ryan Kankowski, Ruan Pienaar, Elton Jantjies, Bjorn Basson

Looking at this team it loses a lot of physicality.

Comparing a first choice backrow of Schalk Burger, Juan smith and Willem Alberts to Jaque Potgieter, Marcell Coetzee and Pierre Spies it is clear that South Africa will have to play wider and take less contact in the ruck situation, if not England will easily be able to dominate the contest at the breakdown.

Looking at the midfield combination of Frans Steyn and Jean de Villiers compared to Wynand Olivier and Jean de Villiers it will be far inferior due to no creativity at all between the two midfielders, but also no kicking out of hand and defensively Olivier is weak.

Aplon at the back does add some creativity at 15, yet even though he is as gutsy as hell at 75 kg, he will be targeted by big runners.

All in all this will be a litmus test for this Bok team. One I sincerely hope they pass.

Problem is looking at the players out of this match be it injuries weddings etc. not having Coenie Oosthuizen, Andries Bekker, Willem Alberts, Schalk Burger, Juan Smith, Frans Steyn and Patrick Lambie makes this a decidedly easier test for England.

Last edited by biltongbek on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:33 pm; edited 6 times in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread.

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:41 am

Rugby Uberlord wrote:Biltong, you missed your true vocation in life.
Very Happy And that would be?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread.

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:51 am

Next England coach?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Uberlord Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:54 am

Stand up :-)

Rugby Uberlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:55 am

He's over qualified, biltongs got a plan

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:58 am

Rugby Uberlord wrote:Stand up :-)

Ah, I was close then
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Uberlord Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:01 pm

Well KK it's a good start anyway!

Rugby Uberlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Our gameplan currently is to:

a. kick the ball away nice and long with no chase, miss tackles on Sa runners returning kicks; or
b. dither around with the ball in possession and hope that Ashton manages to pick his way through a gap.

and in defence....

ball watch and allow Sa power runners over the advantage line. then run around like headless chickens in a brave scrambled scramble defence and hope for the best.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Weak bench. Still got loads of shaking up to do for the Autumn, I fear we will be building for a long time.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Rugby Uberlord wrote:Stand up :-)
Meh, I am only funny on here because it doesn't take much to crack a smile on these tense blokes, in the real world I would be told to keep my day job.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:06 pm

I see Jamie George's name has reappeared. In an interview on Sky he said he'd spoken to Lancaster around the time of the Saxons games and was told he wouldn't be considered until he has at least second choice at Sarries and that he needed more game time. Unless Sarries change their policy significantly on last season (Knees is suggesting they will) then George just won't have enough time to get into the AIs team. It'll be a big season for him Tom Youngs and Webber as they all battle to take control of the number 2 shirt at their clubs past more experienced hookers.

Expected AIs team (players in brackets are my preferred option):

1.Corbs
2.Hartley
3.Cole
4.Botha (Attwood or Garvey)
5.Parling
6.Croft
7.Robshaw
8.Morgan (Crane)
9.Youngs
10.Farrell (Flood - I sense that Farrell Snr will be in the coaching team and promoting his son again)
11.Foden
12.Barritt
13.Manu
14.Ashton
15.Brown

Bench: Marler, Webber (T Youngs), PDJ, Palmer (Launchbury), Dowson (Wood), Dickson (Care), Flood (Goode with Flood starting), Joseph.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:08 pm

SA has made 265 meters on kick returns vs England's 135 meters in the two tests thus far.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:11 pm

Biltong, that says more about the Boks kick chase and defensive line then much else. The amount of times Farrell kicked long and aimlessly down field in the first test with nobody chasing was unbelievable. The Boks 15 had an age to catch, look up and then decide what his best option was. The English back three were generally taken man and ball.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:13 pm

Agree with that Sam, kick without chase is useless. I do however rmember a run from habana in the first test where he ran through wuite a number of defenders, and similarly Pietersen with the run back where he went right through your defences only to score in the corner a few phases later.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_stonelea Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:19 pm

The best teams seem to have a 20 minute burst, when they play near perfect rugby. SA have done it twice in this series - no team can play near perfect rugby for 80 mins, but the 20 minute bursts in the first 2 tests has won SA the series - 20 mins of perfect line outs, passes going to hand, quick ruck ball, etc.

England somehow need to sense when SA are about to produce one of these bursts (easier said than done I know) - they need to stop the momentum, by slowing the ball down, playing keep-ball, taking the pace out of the game, kicking long and chasing in an organised way. 20 mins of defensive, slow, negative rugby is allowed.

mr_stonelea

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:22 pm

mr_stonelea wrote:The best teams seem to have a 20 minute burst, when they play near perfect rugby. SA have done it twice in this series - no team can play near perfect rugby for 80 mins, but the 20 minute bursts in the first 2 tests has won SA the series - 20 mins of perfect line outs, passes going to hand, quick ruck ball, etc.

England somehow need to sense when SA are about to produce one of these bursts (easier said than done I know) - they need to stop the momentum, by slowing the ball down, playing keep-ball, taking the pace out of the game, kicking long and chasing in an organised way. 20 mins of defensive, slow, negative rugby is allowed.

Whilst there is some truth in what you say, would it not also be very useful to have our own 20 minutes of perfect rugby?

Sometimes teams fixate on the opposition too much. What Haskell said about his time in NZ was that the kiwis focussed a lot less on the opposition and a lot more on their own game.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by protea438 Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:24 pm

Triangulation wrote:Two things

1. We plan to be ahead at 65 traditional subs time; and
2. You are only as good as your last game saffers! Just remember that when we leave that sour taste in your mouths. A parthian shot is coming your way! (note not "parting" but parthian) look it up.

"You are only as good as your last game" ah this old chestnut.

Surely there comes a time when this phrase should be banned. If my team was on a losing streak against a particular team and then all of a sudden we squeaked a win I would be embarrassed if I used that phrase.

protea438

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:31 pm

protea438 wrote:

2. You are only as good as your last game saffers! Just remember that when we leave that sour taste in your mouths. A parthian shot is coming your way! (note not "parting" but parthian) look it up.

Surely there comes a time when this phrase should be banned. If my team was on a losing streak against a particular team and then all of a sudden we squeaked a win I would be embarrassed if I used that phrase.

Why ?

If we beat you on Saturday i will be delighted to have ended a horrible run against you and i will take a lot from that as will the team and the managment. They certainly won't beat themselves up or worry about what was going on 7 games ago when different coaches and players were involved.

Equally knowing SA Meyer's honeymoon period would be brought to an abrupt end and you would be going into your next test under a degree of pressure.

I am not talking here about the relative merits of rugby nations over time. Obviously i am talking about the reality of international test match rugby. A lot can and does change in a short space of time.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:31 pm

Agree with that Sam, kick without chase is useless. I do however rmember a run from habana in the first test where he ran through wuite a number of defenders, and similarly Pietersen with the run back where he went right through your defences only to score in the corner a few phases later.

Well Biltong it's one thing to kick badly and not have a chaser that is bad but to kick badly with no kick chase and no wall style defence formed and waiting is just plain moronic. Some of the English organisation for this tour has been frankly substandard. Lack of jumping options in the lineout, defensive organisation and the tactical kicking (or lack there of) direction has left a lot to be desired. It is early days for the Lancaster regime though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:31 pm

protea438 wrote:

Have to agree with you on that mate. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_stonelea Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:31 pm

screamingaddabs wrote:
mr_stonelea wrote:The best teams seem to have a 20 minute burst, when they play near perfect rugby. SA have done it twice in this series - no team can play near perfect rugby for 80 mins, but the 20 minute bursts in the first 2 tests has won SA the series - 20 mins of perfect line outs, passes going to hand, quick ruck ball, etc.

Whilst there is some truth in what you say, would it not also be very useful to have our own 20 minutes of perfect rugby?

Sometimes teams fixate on the opposition too much. What Haskell said about his time in NZ was that the kiwis focussed a lot less on the opposition and a lot more on their own game.

True, but when you are the underdog and being over-powered, it is not very realistic. It's the same when we play the AB's.....competitive for long periods but then hit by a burst of rugby we cannot live with. It's a long time since I saw an NH team play one of these near perfect sessions.

mr_stonelea

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:32 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Well Biltong it's one thing to kick badly and not have a chaser that is bad but to kick badly with no kick chase and no wall style defence formed and waiting is just plain moronic. Some of the English organisation for this tour has been frankly substandard. Lack of jumping options in the lineout, defensive organisation and the tactical kicking (or lack there of) direction has left a lot to be desired. It is early days for the Lancaster regime though.

Sam with all the shortcomings the English posters have mentioned on here over the last two weeks, I have been impressed by England.

So much so, that I am not confident of the upcoming test.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:37 pm

mr_stonelea wrote:
screamingaddabs wrote:

True, but when you are the underdog and being over-powered, it is not very realistic. It's the same when we play the AB's.....competitive for long periods but then hit by a burst of rugby we cannot live with. It's a long time since I saw an NH team play one of these near perfect sessions.

Just playing devil's advocate a bit, but do you think the lack of a 20 minute burst could be linked to trying to nullify the opposition? If you try to stop them in their strengths then you may well be running counter to your own strengths.

A good example is the Wallabies against SA. They don't get a pack of bruisers and beat SA by preventing the SA natural game. They beat them by playing their own tactics very well, moving the ball like lightning and playing at pace, not committing too many to the breakdown and throwing the ball about. By focusing on their own game they can get the "20 minutes of perfect rugby".

Last edited by screamingaddabs on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : question mark - GRAMMAR!!)
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:38 pm

biltongbek wrote:
protea438 wrote:

Me too. I'd be happy to win, but in the end, we contest tests in series for a reason
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:43 pm

screamingaddabs wrote:Just playing devil's advocate a bit, but do you think the lack of a 20 minute burst could be linked to trying to nullify the opposition? If you try to stop them in their strengths then you may well be running counter to your own strengths.

A good example is the Wallabies against SA. They don't get a pack of bruisers and beat SA by preventing the SA natural game. They beat them by playing their own tactics very well, moving the ball like lightning and playing at pace, not committing too many to the breakdown and throwing the ball about. By focusing on their own game they can get the "20 minutes of perfect rugby".

To be perfectly frank with you we played very dumb rugby against the Aussies under PDV, the australians are masterful at using every inch of the law to their advantage. Case in point our Quarter final where we dominated the so much so that we spent 75% of the match in their half, however due to their media ranting s after the Irish loss, Bryce Lawrence was so scared to make calls during that match, that he rather did nothing, not even when Pocock ran around our ruck, kicked the ball from an offside position through to their backline to score a try. Australia gave away something like 4 penalties away in the match, and not one in their red zone. Must be some kind of record.

Now you may call it whatever you want, but the reality is the australian media is one of their International team's strongest weapons, and they know how to use it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Bilt - How do you think you'll fair against England this weekend - give me a prediction with some reasoning thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:57 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I see Jamie George's name has reappeared. In an interview on Sky he said he'd spoken to Lancaster around the time of the Saxons games and was told he wouldn't be considered until he has at least second choice at Sarries and that he needed more game time. Unless Sarries change their policy significantly on last season (Knees is suggesting they will) then George just won't have enough time to get into the AIs team. It'll be a big season for him Tom Youngs and Webber as they all battle to take control of the number 2 shirt at their clubs past more experienced hookers.

Expected AIs team (players in brackets are my preferred option):

1.Corbs
2.Hartley
3.Cole
4.Botha (Attwood or Garvey)
5.Parling
6.Croft
7.Robshaw
8.Morgan (Crane)
9.Youngs
10.Farrell (Flood - I sense that Farrell Snr will be in the coaching team and promoting his son again)
11.Foden
12.Barritt
13.Manu
14.Ashton
15.Brown

Bench: Marler, Webber (T Youngs), PDJ, Palmer (Launchbury), Dowson (Wood), Dickson (Care), Flood (Goode with Flood starting), Joseph.

Courtney Lawes should be fit again for the AI's shouldn't he? I suspect he'll be straight back into the squad/ team if he is.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:59 pm

Rubyguby, I am very concerned about our backrow, Marcell Coetzee has missed a good number of tackles in defence, on attack he goes that step too far and doesn't look for the offload which gets him isolated. He has given away 3 penalties because of this even though he only got turned over once, now when Alberts was playing he was there to make up for the physicality required to counter ruck, with Potgieter I know he did well in the super Rugby matches he played, but he comes back from an injury and is also a new cap, Spies may have looked good in open play but it was because space was created for him.

So with this back row, I don't think we will have the same physicality.

With Frans Steyn out for this match, we are again going back to a 12 which may be able to run into traffic and cut the line, but that is the be all and end all for Olivier, he doesn't distribute often, and doesn't look for the offload, can't kick and can be quite suspect in defence even if he did make the most tackles during the time he was on. But there is zero creativity there.

Aplon at the back is multi talented, and very dangerous at the back, but even though he is very, very gutsy, on defence against a physicla player such as Tuilagi, I am not so sure.

I am very nervous about this game and won't be surprised if we lost.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:06 pm

I see where your going here, for me Meyer has sacrificed a lot of grunt for more pace - It's going to be interesting but I think SA will be vulnerable to England sticking it up their jumpers and driving laboriously. If it becomes a throw it about fest I really think SA can run in a lot of trys. Eihter way it will be a cracking game with so much on it IMO as opposed to being a dead rubber so to speak. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Yeah, I don't believe in dead rubbers. Meyer promised every test is important to win, I hope he keeps his word, there is a big difference between 3-0 and 2-1
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:15 pm

The bench. Oh the bench. Sad

16. L Mears 17. J marler 18. M Botha 19. P Dowson 20. L Dickson 21. O Farrell 22. B Barritt

Is that the weakest bench ever fielded by an England team? Perhaps with the exception of Joe Marler?

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:20 pm

People are commenting on the bench being weak (and I don't disagree). The question is, who would you have put there instead? (Assume the same starting XV and take into account injuries and the squad)

I'd go:

16 T Youngs 17 Marler 18 Botha 19 Morgan 20 Dickson 21 O Farrell 22 A Allen

Still not exactly awe inspiring though is it?
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Chjw131 wrote:The bench. Oh the bench. Sad

16. L Mears 17. J marler 18. M Botha 19. P Dowson 20. L Dickson 21. O Farrell 22. B Barritt

Is that the weakest bench ever fielded by an England team? Perhaps with the exception of Joe Marler?

Don't want to come across as anti-saracens here but why Barritt AND Farrell on the bench? They're essentially the same type of player! Could have had an out and out speedster on the bench like May or Wade and just gone for it with 20 mins to go!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by DAVESA Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:22 pm

biltongbek, I actually didnt see Coetzee miss any tackles,also his stats from what i saw is 16 made, missed nothing. Just a obsevation. I rate him highly though.

DAVESA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Uberlord Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Agree with Carpe, although one could argue Farrell could covers kicking, and jj can move to wings with Barritt going to 12?

Rugby Uberlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Surely after the mid-week game and seeing as we're on a series loss anyway, there would be something to be gained by throwing the last few dice in possession. I would have gone for a bench of:

16. T Youngs (His throwing was ok mid-week)

17. J Marler

18. G Kitchener (His awareness around the park was good, less so in the tight; and surely Botha played himself OUT of T3 during mid-week?)

19. C Fearns (Dowson is past it, and a 25 minute run for Fearns would give him a chance to make and impact and not run out of puff)

20. Um.... ok fine L Dickson but only because there's no one else

21. A Allen (Played well on MW1 and extremely well in MW2 out of position, clearly deserves a chance!)

22. J May (If only to see if he can produce another jaw-dropping run in the last 15 minutes or so)

There really is nothing to lose from giving some exposure during this test, and seeing if one can put together a bench that offers impact to our benefit and not detriment this time!)

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:26 pm

DAVESA wrote:biltongbek, I actually didnt see Coetzee miss any tackles,also his stats from what i saw is 16 made, missed nothing. Just a obsevation. I rate him highly though.
My apologies then, I rate him highly too, but a combination of him and Potgieter with a not so physical Spies concerns me.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:29 pm

biltongbek wrote:Yeah, I don't believe in dead rubbers. Meyer promised every test is important to win, I hope he keeps his word, there is a big difference between 3-0 and 2-1

Thank god for that I was starting to get the impression that this test did not count from a South African viewpoint.

Every test counts. Series gone or not. Every test. True enough we cannot win the series.

Yes the test loss run to SA hurts. Yes it should hurt. Yes IF we win T3 we wont claim to be a better rugby nation or side even than the Boks but it will give us a tremendous confidence boost heading into the AIs and like it or not SA will be under a teeny bit of pressure heading into the arrogantly named " Rugby Championship"

Context is everything. I know for Sa its a new regime with one or two new caps but the reality remains that it was i think in T1 487 v 185 test caps.

If any of the above was not true none of us would be on these boards now and none of us would bother watching T3.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:30 pm

My only real problem with Lancaster so far, but I think it is a big one, is that all of his benches have been awful. And then he proceeds to bring all the players on anyway, even though they are not game-changers.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Uberlord Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Agreed CJ

Rugby Uberlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:34 pm

Thank god for that I was starting to get the impression that this test did not count from a South African viewpoint

Tri, I am intrigued that you thought this test is not important from a SA viewpoint?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Uberlord Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:35 pm

Probably because as per Lions the 3rd test was viewed as unimportant (allegedly) as the series was won, and a weaker team was put out if I remember correctly??

Rugby Uberlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:36 pm

Rugby Uberlord wrote:Probably because as per Lions the 3rd test was viewed as unimportant (allegedly) as the series was won, and a weaker team was put out if I remember correctly??
OK, but that was Plonker de Villiers, little made much sense during his tenure.SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 3 Banghe10
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Uberlord Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:38 pm

Fair point

Rugby Uberlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:41 pm

biltongbek wrote:
protea438 wrote:

Putting aside the dig re embarrassment, these comments impliedly downplay any win that we might be able to "squeak".

"Squeak a win" sounds suspiciously like "sneak a win" and certainly downplays the acheivement.

Go ask any major test playing nation if they win tests by "squeaking" or "sneaking" or whether it requires monumental physical commitment and skill (as well as a degree of luck sometimes admittedly) to actually win particularly against this SA side at home.

Trust me England supporters and team would love to reverse the losing streak were on vs SA but that run doesnt detract from the significance of a test win over the Springboks at home this saturday.

Maybe were at cross purposes. Whatever. I have more than said my bit.

That is all.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:43 pm

Rugby Uberlord wrote:Probably because as per Lions the 3rd test was viewed as unimportant (allegedly) as the series was won, and a weaker team was put out if I remember correctly??

None of which applies here FFS.

The Lions convene every 4 years and tour SA every 12 years. They only play series.

England and Springboks are a constant.

Both sides will be putting out their strongest possible sides.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:43 pm

That is all.

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:43 pm

To me it is a cop out to say it is a dead rubber once you have won the first two tests. It's like you aren't totally confident that you are dominating your opponent enough to be sure about your abilities to win the last test, so you use it as an excuse in case you lose.

But when you get down to the nitty gritty of test match rugby, every win is vital.
Example Jake White ended his tenure on a 67% win record, Nick Mallet had a 72% win record, widely recognised (well by me) as a better coach than Jake White even though Mallet didn't win the world cup.

Jake White "gave away" autumn tests in 2006 and Trination tests in 2007 in order to win the world cup, if he hadn't he may have had a win record similar to Nick Mallet perhaps even higher.

I hate it when a coach sacrafices one test for a "pie in the sky" potential.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:44 pm

biltongbek wrote:Rubyguby, I am very concerned about our backrow, Marcell Coetzee has missed a good number of tackles in defence, on attack he goes that step too far and doesn't look for the offload which gets him isolated. He has given away 3 penalties because of this even though he only got turned over once, now when Alberts was playing he was there to make up for the physicality required to counter ruck, with Potgieter I know he did well in the super Rugby matches he played, but he comes back from an injury and is also a new cap, Spies may have looked good in open play but it was because space was created for him.

So with this back row, I don't think we will have the same physicality.

With Frans Steyn out for this match, we are again going back to a 12 which may be able to run into traffic and cut the line, but that is the be all and end all for Olivier, he doesn't distribute often, and doesn't look for the offload, can't kick and can be quite suspect in defence even if he did make the most tackles during the time he was on. But there is zero creativity there.

Aplon at the back is multi talented, and very dangerous at the back, but even though he is very, very gutsy, on defence against a physicla player such as Tuilagi, I am not so sure.

I am very nervous about this game and won't be surprised if we lost.

have some faith Coetzee is getting better and better i thought he was superb last week,very rabid and everywhere. Potgieter is in the same mould and he wont let anyone down . Willem Alberts is good going forward but he also slips tackles in defence .The game will be won or lost depending on Morne . Hopefully he's kicking well if not Heyneke should do the smart thing and yank him and give Pienaar or Janjtes the kicks .As for Meisikind he just has to deliver , i dont believe he's a weakness in midfield especially not with JDV outside him. Aplon will be fine at the back this is not the first time he's played fullback for the Springboks and he has yet to let us down
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:46 pm

Triangulation wrote:That is all.

Tri relax mate, we are only giving you a bit of a hard time. The test is important because it is a differnce of having a 0% win rate or 33% win rate for you guys and for us a 100% win rate or 66% win rate. I know which one I would prefer. thumbsup
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:48 pm

Bullsbok wrote:have some faith Coetzee is getting better and better i thought he was superb last week,very rabid and everywhere. Potgieter is in the same mould and he wont let anyone down . Willem Alberts is good going forward but he also slips tackles in defence .The game will be won or lost depending on Morne . Hopefully he's kicking well if not Heyneke should do the smart thing and yank him and give Pienaar or Janjtes the kicks .As for Meisikind he just has to deliver , i dont believe he's a weakness in midfield especially not with JDV outside him. Aplon will be fine at the back this is not the first time he's played fullback for the Springboks and he has yet to let us down

I always get nervous just before test Bullsbok, I just hate to think we might lose a test, it happens every time, perhaps I should step away from the sport? Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next