The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread.

+66
Morgannwg
aitchw
Hound_of_Harrow
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
glamorganalun
wales606
Duty281
doctornickolas
GLove39
trebellbobaggins
welshy6
stormers1
mystiroakey
lostinwales
Knowsit17
thebluesmancometh
PJHolybloke
Hood83
KickAndChase
Rory_Gallagher
Pal Joey
Manu's Boxing Coach
SimonofSurrey
maestegmafia
Zander
Taylorman
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
nobbled
doctor_grey
Wydnej
sad_gimp
pbuk0
nathan
Beaker
timhen
niwatts
DaveM
andyi
Geordie
hugehandoff
DAVESA
Effervescing Elephant
Chjw131
Cumbrian
RubyGuby
mr_stonelea
EnglishReign
gregortree
btown
Rugby Uberlord
yappysnap
lammergeier
Big
Ozzy3213
formerly known as Sam
Triangulation
ChequeredJersey
protea438
Toadfish
FerN
Bullsbok
screamingaddabs
fa0019
Knackeredknees
LondonTiger
Biltong
70 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Who will win and by how much?

SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Vote_lcap10%SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 6 ]
SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Vote_lcap18%SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 11 ]
SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Vote_lcap15%SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 9 ]
SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Vote_lcap8%SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 5 ]
SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Vote_lcap34%SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 21 ]
SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Vote_lcap10%SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 6 ]
SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Vote_lcap5%SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 61

SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Empty SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread.

Post by Biltong Wed 20 Jun 2012, 11:08 am

First topic message reminder :

England

A Goode; C Ashton, J Joseph, M Tuilagi, B Foden; T Flood, D Care; A Corbisiero, D Hartley (capt), D Cole, T Palmer, G Parling, T Johnson, J Haskell, T Waldrom.

Replacements : L Mears, J Marler, M Botha, P Dowson, L Dickson, O Farrell, B Barritt.

Lancaster said: “I am really pleased for Alex [Goode]. He has worked hard in training and has been pushing Mike Brown and Ben Foden close so we are looking forward to him bringing his footballing skills to this Test. Danny Care likewise has bided his time in a very competitive position, knuckled down and deserves his chance, as has James Haskell, who has played this season for the Highlanders at No 7.

“We felt that the pack got some momentum in the second half last week so we have gone for Alex [Corbisiero] and Tom [Palmer], but I am sure Joe Marler and Mo Botha can make an impact from the bench.

“The guys did the shirt proud in Potchefstroom on Tuesday and I have no doubt that the 22 involved on Saturday will rise to this final challenge as we look to end this almost 12-month season on a high.”

South Africa

Gio Aplon, JP Pietersen, Jean de Villiers, Wynand Olivier, Bryan Habana, Morne Steyn, Francois Hougaard; Tendai Mtawarira, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Eben Etzebeth, Juandre Kruger, Marcell Coetzee, Jaques Potgieter, Pierre Spies

Replacements: Adriaan Strauss, Werner Kruger, Flip van der Merwe, Ryan Kankowski, Ruan Pienaar, Elton Jantjies, Bjorn Basson

Looking at this team it loses a lot of physicality.

Comparing a first choice backrow of Schalk Burger, Juan smith and Willem Alberts to Jaque Potgieter, Marcell Coetzee and Pierre Spies it is clear that South Africa will have to play wider and take less contact in the ruck situation, if not England will easily be able to dominate the contest at the breakdown.

Looking at the midfield combination of Frans Steyn and Jean de Villiers compared to Wynand Olivier and Jean de Villiers it will be far inferior due to no creativity at all between the two midfielders, but also no kicking out of hand and defensively Olivier is weak.

Aplon at the back does add some creativity at 15, yet even though he is as gutsy as hell at 75 kg, he will be targeted by big runners.

All in all this will be a litmus test for this Bok team. One I sincerely hope they pass.

Problem is looking at the players out of this match be it injuries weddings etc. not having Coenie Oosthuizen, Andries Bekker, Willem Alberts, Schalk Burger, Juan Smith, Frans Steyn and Patrick Lambie makes this a decidedly easier test for England.

Last edited by biltongbek on Sat 23 Jun 2012, 7:33 pm; edited 6 times in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Empty Re: SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread.

Post by Rugby Uberlord Fri 22 Jun 2012, 2:33 pm

Very Happy

Rugby Uberlord

Back to top Go down

SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Empty Re: SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread.

Post by mr_stonelea Fri 22 Jun 2012, 3:39 pm

biltongbek wrote:
Rugby Uberlord wrote:So does this mean the bokke are mincers? Whistle

Nope, ruffian butchers who likes to mince fresh meat. Laugh

more like Dodgy Butchers - who have their meat delivered round the back...

oh no, will I get banned for that? Please don't - i like it here

I apologise

mr_stonelea

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Uberlord Fri 22 Jun 2012, 3:40 pm

guys, What's the best odds for an England win and who with???

Rugby Uberlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 22 Jun 2012, 3:51 pm

mr_stonelea wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
Rugby Uberlord wrote:So does this mean the bokke are mincers? Whistle

Nope, ruffian butchers who likes to mince fresh meat. Laugh

more like Dodgy Butchers - who have their meat delivered round the back...

oh no, will I get banned for that? Please don't - i like it here

I apologise
SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Smiley-sport025
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_stonelea Fri 22 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm

I'll accept the citing and a 2 week ban

mr_stonelea

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Fri 22 Jun 2012, 4:36 pm

Moody saying on twitter that Corbs is out..not seen it confirmed anywhere else though.

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Wydnej Fri 22 Jun 2012, 4:59 pm

Corbs out - big bad Joe Marler starting...

Wydnej

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 22 Jun 2012, 5:36 pm

mr_stonelea wrote:I'll accept the citing and a 2 week ban

Seeing that this is your first offence, the citing has been reduced.SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Smiley-sport024

SA vs England 3rd test: Build up, announcements and match thread. - Page 5 Smiley-laughing021
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Fri 22 Jun 2012, 5:38 pm

mid_gen wrote:Moody saying on twitter that Corbs is out..not seen it confirmed anywhere else though.

Yeah, was confirmed this morning. Marler starts for Corbs and PDJ on the bench.

http://www.espnscrum.com/england-tour-2012/rugby/story/166027.html

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 22 Jun 2012, 6:56 pm

I'm just a bit late getting into the unbearable excitement surrounding the match tomorrow afternoon. Not the most exciting set of English forwards from 4 - 8, is it now?

But I actually like the backs, despite a few guys out of position. I am looking forward to seeing Goode (Alex not Andy) playing, though I still think Foden is the best fullback.

If England get any ball at all, then this backs group might have an idea or two out there.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat 23 Jun 2012, 8:51 am

Are we going to get murdered at the scrum or nor?
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 23 Jun 2012, 10:24 am

nobbled wrote:Are we going to get murdered at the scrum or nor?

Bettered, not murdered.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 23 Jun 2012, 11:10 am

Right...gonna stick my neck out here. England to do a Lions and take the 10th and final SH/ NH match to win the first and last of the 4 tours.
Whistle Run

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Sat 23 Jun 2012, 11:46 am

South Africa are missing some key players, however so are England. This could go either way, although hopefully England's! rose

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 23 Jun 2012, 1:17 pm

Good luck England...!

Hopefully they can win the final test. Just need to get into gear at the start.

It's a good team, Danny Care is a fantastic scrum half, a bit more beef in the experienced Haskell and you Andy Goode gets a much deserved chance at the back.

Not sure why England kept that centre pairing from last week though..?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 1:41 pm

Alex Goode. Andy Goode at FB would be trucking awful
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 1:43 pm

Thanks though, I hope we do well and obviously I want Danny to have a good game. He's a great scrum half prone to getting overexcited
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 23 Jun 2012, 1:48 pm

Taylorman wrote:Right...gonna stick my neck out here. England to do a Lions and take the 10th and final SH/ NH match to win the first and last of the 4 tours. Whistle Run

Of the four tours...Scotland are erm...Played 3 won 3 including Australia...whom Wales couldnt beat in 3 attempts....

I think we're gonna be beat again...but i think them missing Alberts is a blow...the guy is just a monster....

We also need to keep a check on Mr Pietersen on the wing...he caused us no end of bother in the last test...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 1:52 pm

I back Foden there
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Zander Sat 23 Jun 2012, 2:13 pm

Foden should be solid in defence. He can tackle well and should keep Pietersen quiet.

Zander

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 2:34 pm

ChequeredJersey,

Had a beer with the Brive team doctor (friend of a friend) just before Fr v Eng this year. He said Andy Goode had a couple of strong games as soon as he got to Brive then never played well for them again. I tried to feign surprise as he had bought me the beer... Whistle

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 23 Jun 2012, 2:43 pm

Zander wrote:Foden should be solid in defence. He can tackle well and should keep Pietersen quiet.

He didnt in the last test..in fact the full england team couldnt....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Sat 23 Jun 2012, 3:24 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
Zander wrote:Foden should be solid in defence. He can tackle well and should keep Pietersen quiet.

Dont remember Foden missing too many tackles?

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 23 Jun 2012, 3:32 pm

Manu's Boxing Coach wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

Foden missed only 1 tackle in the first test, but missed 4 last weekend
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 23 Jun 2012, 3:34 pm

biltongbek wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

According to espn he missed 1, its robshaw who was the revolving door

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 23 Jun 2012, 3:39 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
biltongbek wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

According to espn he missed 1, its robshaw who was the revolving door

http://www.rugbystats.com.au/matches/rugby/match16750.html

Espn is very inaccurate
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Sat 23 Jun 2012, 3:43 pm

Those stats look pretty iffy on that site biltongbek, no way did both sides miss that many tackles. The numbers look pretty high in all areas of measurement.

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 23 Jun 2012, 3:44 pm

Tinhen, you need to tick the box which gives you details, there it will breakdown each player's ineffective tackles, missed tackles and attempted tackles
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Sat 23 Jun 2012, 3:46 pm

Would anyone be able to message me a link for an online feed of the game if they know of one please?
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jun 2012, 3:51 pm

you have mail screaming

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Sat 23 Jun 2012, 3:52 pm

Thanks dragon kiss
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 23 Jun 2012, 3:56 pm

Right so thats a different definition to the standard we are used to using, a lot harsher figure. In the context of the game fodens tackling wasnt any worse than most players, and by no means the worst of the team. As we know more often than not he was left out to dry by the SA chaps running right through the england forwards, when you are facing backs running at pace in space its hardly surprising you ship a few tackles.
In general Foden is sound if not spectacular in his tackling and cover. Its certainly not aspect hes seen as weak in.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Sat 23 Jun 2012, 3:58 pm

There's lots of stuff that isn't right there. No way were there only 5 scrum feeds for instance.

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:04 pm

better than ireland already

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:05 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:better than ireland already

But you're not playing the AB's?

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:08 pm

crumbs Im beginning to have some belief in england here, hardly scintilating but professional and getting on the board even if flood did miss that one

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:09 pm

Red_Dragon_Spirit wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:better than ireland already

But you're not playing the AB's?

True but 3:0 against the cook islands would be still better than 0:60 against anyone

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:10 pm

early days yet biscuit... give it time mate. Very Happy

See.. all even at 3 now.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:11 pm

hmmm.. I don't agree, can only compare like for like imo..

3-3

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:12 pm

Can we not get into a silly piddling contest about relative home nation performances here, all that matters is how we do against the team in front of us.

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:13 pm

sorry timhen... lets just watch this game...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:14 pm

nice try

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:14 pm

8-3

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm

Hmm.. good try, but South Africa don't seem that interested here?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm

Danny Care doing hjis best ben youngs impersonation. Ridiculous percentage of Englands tries have come from the half backs since Lancaster took charge.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm

just missed con

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm

Hey lads, just tuned in for that try. Care & Youngs are great at the little quick tap penalties!

Been looking forward to this one.

Good luck to England thumbsup

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:16 pm

Red_Dragon_Spirit wrote:hmmm.. I don't agree, can only compare like for like imo..

3-3

Youre right, its not fair to compare england against a shower of poo like ireland Wink

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by timhen Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:16 pm

No worries mate, wasn't having a go at you.

Good opportunism by Care there, though I'm surprised the Boks didn't stop him.

timhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 23 Jun 2012, 4:16 pm

Farrell on...sigh...here we go.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next