The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the big fuss about Lara??

+2
Seanusarrilius
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
6 posters

Go down

What is the big fuss about Lara?? Empty What is the big fuss about Lara??

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 24 Jun 2012, 7:50 pm

Alright here goes,

A few on here seem to think he is the 2nd coming but what has the guy done to get a shot.

He hasn't even hit 20 fights yet and the best thing on his record is a draw against Molina.

Has looked good against journeymen granted.

The step up against Williams (who had just been knocked into next year against Martinez) showed he could get on the stage against someone who had the confidence knocked out of him. Still got robbed.

I could name plenty of fighters who get ripped apart for the fights hes had against rubbish fighters. But Lara seems to get a by ball. Why?

Personally I think its because of the Williams fight. Everyone took pity on him for getting robbed.

Don't see the big deal, and he needs to fight better a better standard of opponent as he is going backwards.

Maybe he is waiting for a weak champion to steal an easy belt. Canelo, Chavez Jr, Cotto and Mayweather all beat him

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

What is the big fuss about Lara?? Empty Re: What is the big fuss about Lara??

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 24 Jun 2012, 8:03 pm

He is just very good, although he is being avoided so not his fault he hasn't had platformt o show it. Forget the fight number too, he's Cuban, you know how long their amateur careers can be.

Sometimes you don't need to see a fighter in with a top opponent to know they would handle themselves. Also he beat the snot out of Williams, whatever the result.

Would be competative against all in 154 class IMO. But no, he is not Jesus.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 24 Jun 2012, 8:17 pm

That's the thing sean, there is a myth he is being avoided. Who is to say he isn't doing the avoiding. Seems like a lot of people assuming this is the case.

The likes of Price get slated for avoiding fighting good standard of fighters at 13 fights yet Lara is being avoided and its ok to fight Willy Jones or whoever at the same stage.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 24 Jun 2012, 8:39 pm

Lara is being avoided. Since Willaims he has had two fights. Bundrage was asked and gave a lame excuse on a radio show, Cotto and alvarez wouldn't touch him if offered the fight as he is the definition of rosk without reward. Martinez is looking for the big fight at 160 with JCC. Lara is ready for big fights, but he can't get them. For one reason or another he is being avoided. He should rematch Molina IMO as they are both unwanted. Then see if he can get Kirland who he would beat

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 24 Jun 2012, 8:45 pm

There are 4 champions per division (mostly). Surely one of them can man up and see if he is good enough. Perhaps he should start a brawl.

As for deserving a shot at a belt, why not? The WBC champ was gift wrapped a belt for his birthday by his sugardaddie. Lara would wipe the floor of Canelo, probably beat Cotto as Cotto is probably over the hill (probably right for Canelo now).

Kirkland wont fight him as it would risk his pending fight with Canelo.

Chavez Jnr is a MW and fighting Martinez so he is out of the equation. I can see GBP making all manner of excuses to avoid pitting Canelo against Lara. And people would lap it up here.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 24 Jun 2012, 10:59 pm

So Cotto gives Mayweather his toughest fight for years and is suddenly over the hill, stop the propaganda against Alvarez it's getting boring, Lara has to put himself in the picture to face Alvarez and fighting the men he's been facing simply wont do that. He looks very good and dominated Williams granted but that alone doesn't make him the next big thing although Hernandez isn't an awful opponent he should be facing much better.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 24 Jun 2012, 11:03 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:So Cotto gives Mayweather his toughest fight for years and is suddenly over the hill, stop the propaganda against Alvarez it's getting boring, Lara has to put himself in the picture to face Alvarez and fighting the men he's been facing simply wont do that. He looks very good and dominated Williams granted but that alone doesn't make him the next big thing although Hernandez isn't an awful opponent he should be facing much better.

What propaganda? I have said he was gifted a belt. Am I wrong? I have said that his defenses have been carefully managed. Was that wrong? I have said he is talented and excited. Wrong there?

Who did Alvarez fight to put himself in the title shot? Who?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 24 Jun 2012, 11:10 pm

He got himself a shot because he's an easy sell, a mexican fighter with an appealing style, I don't really see how lining up defences against Williams and Ortiz are carefully managed.

As for Lara, the three big men in the division are Mayweather, Cotto and Alvarez, they all have the same thing in common they bring big money to the table so look for opponents who they can benefit from. Lara is hugely talented but brings absolutely nothing to the table at the moment, he needs to put himself in the frame to fight these men, he has to chase them not the other way round. Very similar to Chavez and Martinez, Martinez is the man at the weight but Chavez is the money man so you end up with the more talented fighter having to do the chasing. In simple terms, Lara needs Alvarez but Alvarez does not need Lara.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 24 Jun 2012, 11:19 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:He got himself a shot because he's an easy sell, a mexican fighter with an appealing style, I don't really see how lining up defences against Williams and Ortiz are carefully managed.

As for Lara, the three big men in the division are Mayweather, Cotto and Alvarez, they all have the same thing in common they bring big money to the table so look for opponents who they can benefit from. Lara is hugely talented but brings absolutely nothing to the table at the moment, he needs to put himself in the frame to fight these men, he has to chase them not the other way round. Very similar to Chavez and Martinez, Martinez is the man at the weight but Chavez is the money man so you end up with the more talented fighter having to do the chasing. In simple terms, Lara needs Alvarez but Alvarez does not need Lara.

100% sense.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 24 Jun 2012, 11:21 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:He got himself a shot because he's an easy sell, a mexican fighter with an appealing style, I don't really see how lining up defences against Williams and Ortiz are carefully managed.

So now you're in favour of the business side of boxing in freezing a talented guy out. Personally I'd like to see the best get a shot as opposed to those who will bring money to the table.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 24 Jun 2012, 11:25 pm

It's the harsh reality of the sport, Lara isn't going to get a shot by facing Hearns and Hernandez, he needs to face Molina again or someone like Angulo or Trout, he's regressing rather than progressing.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 24 Jun 2012, 11:35 pm

He's being avoided and by him fighting easy options perhaps he's playing the business of boxing.......badly.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 24 Jun 2012, 11:37 pm

I have yet to hear of any solid prove he's being avoided, he simply isn't on the radar of the big men in the division.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 24 Jun 2012, 11:39 pm

What proof do you want? A call from GBP? Why do you think he is not on the radar?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:00 am

What prove do you have that he's being avoided, a call from Laras people?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:24 am

The fact that he is not mentioned when the title fights are up for grabs. Even ancient Mosely lept above him. I suppose he earned it through his longevity even though his sum total of wins at LWM is 0.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 25 Jun 2012, 9:41 am

De la Hoya, mayorga and Vargas twice never happened then? As well as being a two time champion at the weight?

Like I've said Lara can't rely on others to chase him, he has to chase them.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 25 Jun 2012, 12:45 pm

Ghosty there is no point trying to talk sense with Az, he is in "the Know" when it comes to how promoters work.

Lara is looking good against average fighters and needs to build a fanbase and a half decent record (figure or quality wise), something that Canelo did before he got his belt.

Az you are such a hypocrite when it suits your arguement.

Show me proof that he is genuinely being avoided and I will show you proof he is not. Deal??
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:14 pm

Dee

He needs to be able to make the fights with decent opp to look good - as he did against Williams!

You have no evidence he isn't trying to do that, and we have no evidence that he is being avoided - but that's the consensus

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:41 pm

According to Az though, Paul Williams was shot though Sean.

Trying to find a balance here. I know fine well Lara is a fine fighter, but slating Alvarez for avoiding Lara when Lara has barely made a peep himself about taking that fight just seems hypocritical.

Maybe Lara doesn't want it because a loss would delay his title ambitions and put him back a year or two.

Maybe Canelo doesnt want it because its too risky.

Who knows, but the way some talk about it on here, Canelo is hiding under his biting his nails in fear of Lara. Nonsense.

Who is Lara's best win against?? Look at his record and its a "who? Who? Who? Who? Who? Draw against Molina, Loss against Williams. Robbery, but still a "L", then another "who?"

Nowhere near deserving of a title shot until he starts WINNING against ranked fighters. Unless people think he should get a pity title shot like Chisora, I can't see the fuss.

As I said before, Canelo built up a big undefeated record and a massive fanbase which is enough these days. Lara has neither so its not the same.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 25 Jun 2012, 3:52 pm

Agreed on the most part, Lara needs to be promoted better, he needs to get himslef into no. 1 contender status for an alphabelt, and sit there, til he gets his chance it worked for Tim Bradley against Witter and look what that lead too.
Lara is in the same place as Kell Brook, are they being avoided? Na they are just insignificant in eyes of the big ticket sellers at LMW.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 25 Jun 2012, 4:48 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:According to Az though, Paul Williams was shot though Sean.

Trying to find a balance here. I know fine well Lara is a fine fighter, but slating Alvarez for avoiding Lara when Lara has barely made a peep himself about taking that fight just seems hypocritical.

Maybe Lara doesn't want it because a loss would delay his title ambitions and put him back a year or two.

Who knows, but the way some talk about it on here, Canelo is hiding under his biting his nails in fear of Lara. Nonsense.

Who is Lara's best win against?? Look at his record and its a "who? Who? Who? Who? Who? Draw against Molina, Loss against Williams. Robbery, but still a "L", then another "who?"

Nowhere near deserving of a title shot until he starts WINNING against ranked fighters. Unless people think he should get a pity title shot like Chisora, I can't see the fuss.

As I said before, Canelo built up a big undefeated record and a massive fanbase which is enough these days. Lara has neither so its not the same.

Az has it in for Canelo a wee bit, take what he says about him with a pinch

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 25 Jun 2012, 5:00 pm

haha I would never have guessed Sean.

He doesn't like people from Liverpool either furious
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 25 Jun 2012, 5:11 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:haha I would never have guessed Sean.

Well that's understandable, haha, JOKE!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 26 Jun 2012, 12:28 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:According to Az though, Paul Williams was shot though Sean.

Point out one single post where I have accused Canelo of avoiding Lara. Not once have I said that. I have stated that GBP would not put him against Lara for obvious reasons. That is the difference between you and I. I never blame the boxer as I know full well that a kid like Canelo can hardly distate to GBP who he wants to fight. The decision is for GBP to make. I am very certain that Canelo has the self belief to step into the ring with Lara with the confidence of knowing he will win.

Who is Canelo's best win? A Mosely more shot than JFK? Cintron the swan diver? Fat Cotto, Rhodes or Dynamite Hatton? Other than making a buck, what qualified him for a gift wrapped belt?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 26 Jun 2012, 12:30 am

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:haha I would never have guessed Sean.

I can't understand them. Add Geordies to that list. And as for people from Dudley? They sound ridiculously thick.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 26 Jun 2012, 12:33 am

Seanusarrilius wrote:

Az has it in for Canelo a wee bit, take what he says about him with a pinch

No I dont. Great talent and exciting fighter. What irks me big time is the way he was gift wrapped a belt and many supposed knowledgeable posters gobbled it up like a porn star on woody.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 26 Jun 2012, 1:52 pm

"Who is Canelo's best win? A Mosely more shot than JFK? Cintron the swan diver? Fat Cotto, Rhodes or Dynamite Hatton? Other than making a buck, what qualified him for a gift wrapped belt?"

Massive fan base and a big undefeated record. That usually does it.

What did Khan did Khan do for his?

What did Cotto do at LMW for his?

What did Manny do for the LWM belt?

You understand were I'm going with this Az?

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:02 pm

Khan actually beat a very good champion for his belt. He didn't beat up a blown up SFW in a catchweight fight.

Cotto was an established fighter who dethroned a champion.

Manny was a gift in the manner of Canelo's gift. But Manny was an established champion. See the difference?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:13 pm

Matthew hatton a super featherweight, since when?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 26 Jun 2012, 2:20 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Matthew hatton a super featherweight, since when?

Since never. Thankfully I haven't said he was. That would be silly.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down