The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GGG vs Lara

+10
milkyboy
Hammersmith harrier
Hands Of Stone
Jermaine2015
jimdig
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
ShahenshahG
88Chris05
Lance
14 posters

Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty GGG vs Lara

Post by Lance Thu 18 Jun 2015, 12:14 am

Lara has been calling out for this fight for 18 months now. He mentions GGG in almost every interview, stalks him on twitter and has offered to come up to MW and fight on HBO.

Golovkins manager claimed last year that Lara is not a big enough name. Obviously Willie Monroe is though. Is GGG a bit selective in his opponents, is he only interested in maintaining his wrecking ball image?

GGG fans are quick to call others duckers, yet here is an interesting challenge that their man is not up for. Why no mention of this fight around here?

Lance

Posts : 1712
Join date : 2011-10-29

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 9:17 am

To be honest I didn’t realise until recently how vocal Lara has been in campaigning for a Golovkin fight. Kind of typical of his career to this point, I guess.

I am one of the ones who definitely thinks that Martinez and Cotto have been guilty as sin in terms of not wanting anything to do with Golovkin, and that someone like Quillin would only fight him if it was absolutely necessary and all other roads to a title were blocked. I think he’d take a fight with a top fighter like Froch or Alvarez without any hesitation if the chance was there, too. Top-level fighters, both of them. But not top-level fighters who it’s hard to look good against and hard to make it a great spectacle against, ala Lara.

Fair enough to suggest that Golovkin’s team have that in mind when they decide which opponent they go after to give Golovkin the step up in competition that he needs. As Lara isn’t and has never been in the same weight class as Golovkin I don’t think it’s an outright ducking case, and maybe Lara would improve his chances if he took a fight at 160 against a ranked fighter and got a win under his belt to show that he’s totally serious. If he can do that, and Golovkin can’t get his preferred choices of Froch or Cotto, then it could force his hand in to considering Lara.

Definitely a fight that would interest me and that I’d like to see.
88Chris05
88Chris05
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9644
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 35
Location : Nottingham

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 18 Jun 2015, 9:22 am

So lance, if this fight is made and Lara is beaten to a pulp you won't cry about Golovkin beating the sh*t out of a smaller fighter ?

ShahenshahG

Posts : 15725
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 38
Location : The happiest man a morning ever sees

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 9:32 am

Lance wrote:Lara has been calling out for this fight for 18 months now. He mentions GGG in almost every interview, stalks him on twitter and has offered to come up to MW and fight on HBO.

Golovkins manager claimed last year that Lara is not a big enough name. Obviously Willie Monroe is though. Is GGG a bit selective in his opponents, is he only interested in maintaining his wrecking ball image?

GGG fans are quick to call others duckers, yet here is an interesting challenge that their man is not up for. Why no mention of this fight around here?

Lance you must be wrong mate....

Talking about a guy who in his five years as champ has beaten Geale, Macklin, Murray and Monroe jr...

Wash your keyboard out !!.

You're fighting a lost cause mate like I am on this guy !!

Remember Haz : "Murray (10-1) is a great win"......On another thread.... "Mayweather v Manny isn't worth watching because Manny is 3-1 !!" Rolling Eyes

Nice try though..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40522
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 9:58 am

Would be a great fight and two great styles.

The boxer technician vs the brutal brawler....although I think GGG is more than that.

It would be a good good fight and a tough one for both with ultimately GGG catching him midway and stopping him.

mobilemaster8

Posts : 4302
Join date : 2012-05-10
Age : 37
Location : Stoke on Trent

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by jimdig Thu 18 Jun 2015, 10:25 am

There is so little talent at middleweight it's hard to acuse ggg of "swerving" challenges. But there is an interesting interview with ward on espn, where he has told ggg's team basically to stop telling lies. We all know the son of God doesn't appreciate liars.

jimdig

Posts : 1528
Join date : 2011-03-14

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 10:30 am

Not suggesting he is ducking............But he's like the boy who cried wolf !!

Five years as champ and no "name" on his record and it's everybody elses fault !!...

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40522
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 8:37 pm

88Chris05 wrote:To be honest I didn’t realise until recently how vocal Lara has been in campaigning for a Golovkin fight. Kind of typical of his career to this point, I guess.

I am one of the ones who definitely thinks that Martinez and Cotto have been guilty as sin in terms of not wanting anything to do with Golovkin, and that someone like Quillin would only fight him if it was absolutely necessary and all other roads to a title were blocked. I think he’d take a fight with a top fighter like Froch or Alvarez without any hesitation if the chance was there, too. Top-level fighters, both of them. But not top-level fighters who it’s hard to look good against and hard to make it a great spectacle against, ala Lara.

Fair enough to suggest that Golovkin’s team have that in mind when they decide which opponent they go after to give Golovkin the step up in competition that he needs. As Lara isn’t and has never been in the same weight class as Golovkin I don’t think it’s an outright ducking case, and maybe Lara would improve his chances if he took a fight at 160 against a ranked fighter and got a win under his belt to show that he’s totally serious. If he can do that, and Golovkin can’t get his preferred choices of Froch or Cotto, then it could force his hand in to considering Lara.

Definitely a fight that would interest me and that I’d like to see.
If you think Lara isn't a 'top level fighter' then you really haven't got a clue. Lara beat Williams and Alvarez, that surpasses anyone Golovkin has ever beaten.

Jermaine2015

Posts : 1274
Join date : 2015-01-30
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by Hands Of Stone Thu 18 Jun 2015, 8:42 pm

Lara has missed his chance, needs to fight more and shut the hell up, easily one of the most annoying boxers today.

He had his big shot agaisnt Alvarez, and completely blew it because he didnt want to fight. He could land at will on canelo but was afraid to throw and ended up losing the fight.

Then he gets a chance to look a million dollars against Rodriguez whod just been poleaxed by cotto, and settled for a points win. He had rodriguez every time he threw and had him hurt but didnt try to up the ante at any point

He would make GGG look less than spectacular but minute he feels his power he will just run around the ring, not exactly doing GGG any favours with his profile


Hands Of Stone

Posts : 158
Join date : 2015-05-09

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 18 Jun 2015, 8:51 pm

Hands Of Stone wrote:Lara has missed his chance, needs to fight more and shut the hell up, easily one of the most annoying boxers today.

He had his big shot agaisnt Alvarez, and completely blew it because he didnt want to fight. He could land at will on canelo but was afraid to throw and ended up losing the fight.

Then he gets a chance to look a million dollars against Rodriguez whod just been poleaxed by cotto, and settled for a points win. He had rodriguez every time he threw and had him hurt but didnt try to up the ante at any point

He would make GGG look less than spectacular but minute he feels his power he will just run around the ring, not exactly doing GGG any favours with his profile

But for Oscar's cheque book Lara was the clear winner against Alvarez.

Jermaine2015

Posts : 1274
Join date : 2015-01-30
Location : Germany

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 18 Jun 2015, 8:53 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:To be honest I didn’t realise until recently how vocal Lara has been in campaigning for a Golovkin fight. Kind of typical of his career to this point, I guess.

I am one of the ones who definitely thinks that Martinez and Cotto have been guilty as sin in terms of not wanting anything to do with Golovkin, and that someone like Quillin would only fight him if it was absolutely necessary and all other roads to a title were blocked. I think he’d take a fight with a top fighter like Froch or Alvarez without any hesitation if the chance was there, too. Top-level fighters, both of them. But not top-level fighters who it’s hard to look good against and hard to make it a great spectacle against, ala Lara.

Fair enough to suggest that Golovkin’s team have that in mind when they decide which opponent they go after to give Golovkin the step up in competition that he needs. As Lara isn’t and has never been in the same weight class as Golovkin I don’t think it’s an outright ducking case, and maybe Lara would improve his chances if he took a fight at 160 against a ranked fighter and got a win under his belt to show that he’s totally serious. If he can do that, and Golovkin can’t get his preferred choices of Froch or Cotto, then it could force his hand in to considering Lara.

Definitely a fight that would interest me and that I’d like to see.
If you think Lara isn't a 'top level fighter' then you really haven't got a clue. Lara beat Williams and Alvarez, that surpasses anyone Golovkin has ever beaten.

He didn't beat Alvarez though did he and it seems to becoming one of those fights that is taking on a life of it's own; it was in no shape or form a robbery, it was mightily close and could have gone either way.

Will point out that Chris didn't at any point say Lara wasn't a top level fighter.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by milkyboy Thu 18 Jun 2015, 8:56 pm

Think Chris was saying Lara is a top level fighter jermaine... Just one who's hard to look good against - in comparison to the guys who come to fight he mentioned.

milkyboy

Posts : 7761
Join date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 18 Jun 2015, 9:02 pm

I love how everyone attacks Chris first when they're new/unknown to the board.

ShahenshahG

Posts : 15725
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 38
Location : The happiest man a morning ever sees

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 19 Jun 2015, 9:38 am

ShahenshahG wrote:I love how everyone attacks Chris first when they're new/unknown to the board.

Are you sure it's only the new'uns and unknowns, Shah?

But anyway Jermaine, to clarify. As Hammersmith and Milky have picked up on, I wasn't saying that Lara isn't a top fighter. I'm saying he is, but unlike other top fighters such as Alvarez and Froch he's hard to look exciting against and doesn't give you opportunity after opportunity to land your bombs which have become your calling card. I firmly believe that Golovkin and Loeffer want to step up his competition, but ideally they'd sooner do it against certain types of style (Alvarez, Cotto, Froch) over another (Lara).
88Chris05
88Chris05
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9644
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 35
Location : Nottingham

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by Strongback Fri 19 Jun 2015, 10:07 am

I can see Lara's problem given the style of fighter he is, even Ezzard Charles also got boo'd by fans who wanted to see him engage more.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by lfc91 Fri 19 Jun 2015, 10:08 am

ShahenshahG wrote:I love how everyone attacks Chris first when they're new/unknown to the board.

Well they tell you when you join a new school the way to gain respect is to beat up the biggest kid on the play ground, maybe that explains it...

lfc91

Posts : 1498
Join date : 2011-06-01
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by milkyboy Fri 19 Jun 2015, 10:19 am

Chris is a big kid. No arguments there

milkyboy

Posts : 7761
Join date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by RanjitPatel Fri 19 Jun 2015, 3:10 pm

I've always thought it was beat up the smallest kid in the school. It went so well for me I've carried it into my working life and done it in every job I've ever had.

RanjitPatel

Posts : 692
Join date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by Lance Mon 22 Jun 2015, 8:54 pm

I thought this thread would go quiet. Doesnt fit the 606v2 narrative.

Golovkin claimed many times he would fight anyone from LMW to SMW. Some people want to believe Golovkin is avoided. They love a feared fighter. Much better than a selective fighter.

Golovkin doesnt want a challenge. Cut it anyway you like, Monroe jnr was a fraud of a title defence

Lance

Posts : 1712
Join date : 2011-10-29

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 22 Jun 2015, 10:19 pm

RanjitPatel wrote:I've always thought it was beat up the smallest kid in the school. It went so well for me I've carried it into my working life and done it in every job I've ever had.

Must have an understanding boss.... When you get time to nip to the local school everyday and punch a kid out.....

Lance......GGG is a real fighter ...we should get behind him !!!.

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40522
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by milkyboy Mon 22 Jun 2015, 10:54 pm

Ranjit is a primary school headteacher truss.

milkyboy

Posts : 7761
Join date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by catchweight Tue 23 Jun 2015, 8:28 pm

You would be think with the whole Golovkin charade of pretending to want big fights that other promoters would be quick to point it out. Odd when the likes of Arum, Hearn, de la Hoya and di Bella are pretty candid about Golovkins management trying to secure fights with their guys.

catchweight

Posts : 4326
Join date : 2013-09-18

Back to top Go down

GGG vs Lara Empty Re: GGG vs Lara

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum