The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kell Brook

+18
mobilemaster8
Duty281
hogey
TheMackemMawler
Atila
ShockmasterV2
Rowley
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
ShahenshahG
TRUSSMAN66
manos de piedra
Lance
John Bloody Wayne
Imperial Ghosty
TopHat24/7
ONETWOFOREVER
azania
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Kell Brook - Page 2 Empty Kell Brook

Post by azania Fri 06 Jul 2012, 9:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Sky trying to hype this kid up and doing a good job.......until Kell speaks. This kid should get someone to do the talking for him much like a 'manager' from WWE.

azania

Back to top Go down

Kell Brook - Page 2 Empty Re: Kell Brook

Post by azania Sun 08 Jul 2012, 1:59 pm

To be fair, Brook looked punch perfect in the first 5 rounds because Jones was not throwing much. As soon as Jones upped the pressure and started throwing more, the fight became more competitive.

One could argue that Brook's tactics in the first 5 didn't allow Jones to do much.

Great fight and credit to both guys and for Brook for coming through it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 08 Jul 2012, 2:12 pm

azania wrote:To be fair, Brook looked punch perfect in the first 5 rounds because Jones was not throwing much. As soon as Jones upped the pressure and started throwing more, the fight became more competitive.

One could argue that Brook's tactics in the first 5 didn't allow Jones to do much.

I do think hat brook didn't allow him to do any work. Brook kept a stiff jab in his face for the firs grounds and moved about the ring brilliantly. He allowed jones back into it when he decided to hold on the inside instead of moving about the ring as it allowed jones to work the body which tired him

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 08 Jul 2012, 2:15 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
azania wrote:To be fair, Brook looked punch perfect in the first 5 rounds because Jones was not throwing much. As soon as Jones upped the pressure and started throwing more, the fight became more competitive.

I do think hat brook didn't allow him to do any work. Brook kept a stiff jab in his face for the firs grounds and moved about the ring brilliantly. He allowed jones back into it when he decided to hold on the inside instead of moving about the ring as it allowed jones to work the body which tired him

Jones seemed physically stronger so for me it was more of Jones forcing his way in as Brook slowed down that Brook allowing Jones to bully him. But I'm not going to quibble over that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 08 Jul 2012, 7:56 pm

In my personal opinion, Brook isn't quite as good as I once thought he was.

However, I think I overrated him but I still think he could get to the level I imagined he was at. I think this ws a bit of a kick up the backside as I think he has perhaps gotten a little lazy after he really found it easy against Hatton, who was of respebit more of a respectable level which many don't seem to have you believe and did a much better job on him than Alvarez did.

This was a great gut check for him and asked some major questions and there was no quit in Brook even when things got tough and his nose got broken and he got tired and there was a hard puncher pressuring him faster and faster.

Think he needs to have better stamina, but again I think that this was due to him having it so easy so far because when he's sharp and his reflexes are there he looks a little untouchable at times.

It's good though, compare it to Amir Khan his chin failed when he stepped up a level but he worked hard to get himself into better condition, he improved just a little bit shall we say, so Kell can definitely improve and I think he can be a force to be reckoned with, just needs to keep being pushed and I do worry that because he struggled a bit with Jones that Hearn with slow him down again.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:02 pm

You guys read too much into these fights.......

I watched the early careers of a lot of great fighters and they struggled at times..

When a fighter is still learning he makes mistakes and this guy was a good fighter!!!

Tyson struggled with Tillis.....

The main thing was he came through and it was a tough fight he needed...

Certainly we've found out that he'll tough it out and has heart to go with all his other attributes!!!

Still looks the real deal to me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:12 pm

He looks the real deal to me, I just thought he wasn't quite as slick as I once thought he was, believe me I still think he's going to be fantastic, however I feel the polish was taken off a tad for me there. I was feeling rather confident he'd take out the likes of Khan and look good doing it too, but that was how high I was actually thinking he was. I overrated him and I think that's why I was a bit dissappointed.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:19 pm

A rematch wouldnt surprise me. I dont think Hearn will push him into one of the bigger names after that and will probably want to keep in mandatory position. A rematch with Jones would be a decent indicator of whether Brook can progress, and would provide him with a tough challenge, but one he is capable of winning. I think Jones could argue he deserves a rematch also.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:25 pm

Disagree.....The earning potential doesn't match the risk.....Bad business to have a rematch without a World belt!!

Best to avoid the risk...look good against a fighter that will show his gifts and then fight for a world belt for good money!!!

The guy he beat is in the ..........Who needs him club!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:29 pm

I don't see the point of a rematch to be honest. Jones I believe fought his best fight and Brook can improve on that showing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:33 pm

Agreed.....No incentive for Brook and a potential hiccup for minor league money!!!

Needs to try to fry bigger fish!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:36 pm

The point of the rematch would to be see if Brook can actually improve. If he goes in a second time and won a more comfortable victory then it would be fairly solid proof for Hearn that Brook is progressing and had learned from the first fight. Certainly if I was in Hearns position it is something I would consider. Lining up a sub world class fighterwont tell anyone anything about whether Brook has progressed and on the evidence of the fight with Jones it may well be a case of a fight with the likes of Alexander being too soon.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:39 pm

I can see your point.....

But I just think Brook won and it'll just slow him down to revisit a foe that is below world-level!!

Just don't see how the risk justifies the reward..

He'd have everything to lose and nothing really to gain....

He did win last night..

But you make valid points..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:40 pm

Yeah, I think Jones can legitimately ask for a rematch, but personally I don't think it should happen. Jones fought as well as he possibly could but didn't quite have enough in him to take Brook. Would prefer to see Brook move on and fight for a world title, he may have to have one more fight to become the mandatory, though.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:48 pm

The fight highlighted a few points really;

1. Carson Jones is a lot better than his record suggest and deserves a lot more respect than he gets
2. Brook has all the skill that many have said he has as the opening 5 rounds showed.
3. It also highlighted that Brook as a lot of work to do on his conditioning as an elite level fighter like Alexander or Bradley would have made him pay
4. He has all a lot of attributes that many questioned in him namely heart, desire, chin and will to win.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 08 Jul 2012, 8:50 pm

As a fan I would probably prefer to see Brook push on aswell and just fight for the title win or lose. But if I was in Hearns position that particular fight with Jones would have shaken my confidence about Brooks readiness and raised more questions than it answers. Realistically Brook was expected to win that more easily and while Jones record probably undersells him, I dont think he has ever beaten anyone world class or world level himself so Im not convinced he is world class or neccessarily anywhere near the top guys in the division. I would be looking for some additional security if I were Brooks promoter before I risk a title shot. And given Brook will probably have to hang around a bit anyway while he waits to see if he gets the shot anytime soon then seeing if he can build upon the first fight with Jones and show improvement would be something I would consider.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Volcanicash Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:12 pm

I think we should all give props to Carson Jones. He's what only 25 and had almost 50 pro fights? No current uk fighter would have that many at that age. He's now had 9 defeats which again if that was a uk fighter he would be labelled a journeyman no hoper yet because of his experience and pedigree he has aquired he has proven that records shouldn't be the be all and end all for how a fighter progresses. Fair play to him, he reminded me of a mini Glen Johnson!! As for Brook again fair play to him for digging deep when he had to. Theres no doubting his quality and now his heart and resilience is beyond doubt. If its true he was cutting corners and addresses these issues he definitely has an exciting future!! all in all great fight!!

Volcanicash

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 08 Jul 2012, 9:21 pm

Yeah, one thing that hasn't been addressed is that was a fantastic fight!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2