The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

+51
RDW
Rugby Fan
Hound of Harrow
tooboredtowork
westisbest
Scrumpy
Mickado
Irish Londoner
Imperialbigdave
BristolDave
B91212
Sam
funnyExiledScot
LeinsterFan4life
stnick88
Francogermanicenglishman
Jenifer McLadyboy
Ozzy3213
Hood83
HammerofThunor
screamingaddabs
thebluesmancometh
SirBurger
ScarletSpiderman
beshocked
formerly known as Sam
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Jimpy
aitchw
SGD prop
KickAndChase
George Carlin
Morgannwg
mckay1402
Dim
Big
DaveM
yappysnap
Sgt_Pooly
Fluxy
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Driver
Portnoy
LondonTiger
ChequeredJersey
Bristolian
Cumbrian
TrailApe
Bathite
bluestonevedder
Geordie
55 posters

Page 12 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 12 Empty Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by Geordie Thu 30 Aug 2012, 1:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Manager: Dean Richards
Head Coach: Peter Russell

Current Squad:

Forwards
Props:
Grant Shiels
Oliver Tomasczyk
Keiron Brookes
Scott Wilson

Hookers:
Matt Thompson
Rob Vickers
Scott Lawson

Second Rows:
Carlo Del Fava
Scott MacLeod
Sean Tomes
Frasier McKensie

Back Row
Ally Hogg
Will Welch
Richard Mayhew
Andy Saul
Mark Wilson
Chris York

Backs
SH's
Rory Lawson
Chris Pilgrim
Warren Fury
Mike Blair

Fh's
Joel Hodgson
Waisea Luveniyali
Rory Clegg
Phil Godman

Centres
Jamie Helleur
James Fitzpatrick
Tane Tu'ipulotu
Andrew Higgins
Alex Crocket
Michael Tait
Adam Powell
Danny Barnes - In from Munster

Wing:
Ryan Shortland
Andy Higgins
Suka Hufanga
Noah Cato

FB's:
Tom Catterick
Alex Tait

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:11 am; edited 21 times in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 12 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 22 Mar 2013, 8:46 pm

12-5 down at halftime

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 12 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:36 pm

12-14....phew

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 23 Mar 2013, 11:31 am

Went out last night and I turned into one of those horrible people that keeps looking at his phone to check the score on twitter. It seemed like another close one, these results are making me a little more nervous for the play offs!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 23 Mar 2013, 12:41 pm

Good result... Apparently jimmy was poor

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 23 Mar 2013, 1:15 pm

Jimmy & Lawson sounded poor....again.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:33 pm

I see the 'A' team got beat 29-13 by Saints 'A' team this afternoon...and we put three school boys on for the final 20 mins.

It appears that the academy conveyor belt is back in full swing...and in perfect hands with Deano and Peter Russell... thumbsup

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:38 pm

It was an impressive Saints outfit, decent effort

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:00 pm

Were you there sarge?

I was at work unfortunatley...Percy Park was my team played there for years.

Actuaslly they are doing great at the moment aswell

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:05 pm

No mate, I'm based nr London so rarely get chance.

Read the report and Saints had a fair few AP players out.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:24 pm

Cumbrian wrote:Went out last night and I turned into one of those horrible people that keeps looking at his phone to check the score on twitter. It seemed like another close one, these results are making me a little more nervous for the play offs!

Watching and listening to you boys chat about promotion and your play offs certainly does put our current issues with Quins poor form in to perspective. It'd be a travesty if you didn't get up to the Prem.

Hopefully the quality currently is just the terrible weather and the fact that now you're so far ahead you can rest a little before wupping ass in the play offs OK

oh and Cumbrian, nothing wrong with checking the phone on a night out, it's basically the done thing in Guildford, if you're actually talking to people face to face then you're stuck in the past mate Wink

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Tue 26 Mar 2013, 9:49 am

That fancy technology, man - it's just too wizzy for us Dinosaurs. Until recentlya piece of chalk was more favoured than a mobile for the Northern Drinking man - just scrawl the name of the next bar on the wall and the laggards (probably late because the pigeon carrying the invitation had been harrased by ravens) would catch up.

I'm still not too fussed on that fancy new scoreboard - whats wrong with a couple of slates?

(You can have a little roof to keep the elements from interfering with the numbers - see - I'm open to SOME change)
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 26 Mar 2013, 3:31 pm

Scott Lawson linked.....joy

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 27 Mar 2013, 1:53 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Scott Lawson linked.....joy

Who?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 27 Mar 2013, 1:57 pm

Scottish Int, played at Gloucester now at Irish I think.

Pretty average player, possibly better darts than Vickers though (not hard)

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 27 Mar 2013, 2:06 pm

Yes of course...sorry mate had a brain malfunction.

Just seen that on the Falcons.org.

Not sure he's the answer...may aswell just keep Vickers in there. Yes his throwing is bad...but he's just as good as Lawson elsehwere...and bigger i think.

Not an inspriring siging if that happens.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 27 Mar 2013, 2:09 pm

Did you see the Journal?

Richards has talked about some "exciting signings" that will be coming in and he'll be building a squad for next season that will NOT be fighting relegation.

Pretty positive stuff.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 27 Mar 2013, 2:16 pm

Yeah absolutely...although if hes talking about players like Scot lawson etc...then im not so excited.

Hopefully Mr Russell is exercising his influence with his boys in NZ....

Too be honest even IF we can really get the best out of the likes of Cato, Adam Powell etc they could be terrific signings..but its a big if.

And yet more academy talent coming through who are very highly rated...the club looks in good health at the moment - It all hangs on us going up...then i would suggest relegation has actually been a benefit.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Wed 27 Mar 2013, 3:50 pm

I'd like to see a decent hooker sign for us, and maybe a decent lock/6 with some potential to grow. All we really need upfront I think.

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Wed 27 Mar 2013, 3:56 pm

As an Irish fan, Lawson has been pretty good this season.

But I don't think there is any truth in the rumour. He has another year left here.

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:20 pm

British and Irish Cup Semi

Falcons 72 - 17 Nottingham...

Well that was a bit of a kicking...we had a strong side out...was that a weak Nottingham side?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 06 Apr 2013, 11:22 am

Did you guys seen that Luke Fielden has joined England 7's! That seems like a bit of a blow to me, he was one of our few bright sparks last season.

http://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news/story/fielden-signs-for-england-sevens
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 06 Apr 2013, 12:20 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:British and Irish Cup Semi

Falcons 72 - 17 Nottingham...

Well that was a bit of a kicking...we had a strong side out...was that a weak Nottingham side?

Yes. Perhaps only 1 0r 2 of those would start if you met in the play-offs. A lot of youngsters being given a run out - including tom Price from our academy who injured himself quite badly in the LV cup and was not due to play again thi sseason.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:23 am

We have signed Mike Blair...now thats a good signing. Him and Pilgrim give us two good options.

Just hope we go up... Fingers Crossed

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:59 am

Very happy with that GF, top signing.

Hopefully offload Lawson now

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 08 Apr 2013, 9:04 am

Yeah, and Fury.

That would give us Blair and Pilgrim...and lets see what gems in the academy.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 08 Apr 2013, 9:09 am

http://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news/story/falcons-land-blair

Holy sh!t - didn't see that coming.

That's a huge signing for the Falcons. Surprising too because I thought he'd settled in France. Clearly Jeff rugby was too much of a lure. He is absolutely class and still has plenty to offer, even at 31.

Edinburgh have not really replaced him with anyone like the same quality. No disrespect to Rees, who's been very good for them this season.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 08 Apr 2013, 9:44 pm

Ok Falcon fans...ive totally updated the OP, have a quick look at the squad where it lies potentially for the summer. (Hopefully going back to the prem)

Whats your views...where would you like to see additions, who would you like to see move on?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:28 pm

Tough GF.

- A prop or two, not sure Tomas can compete for 80
- Hook seems sorted with Lawson coming in for Mayhew
- We need 1 or 2 locks, a lineout leader and a lump
- a carrying 6 and a back up 7

3 to 5 new forwards

- lose Lawson/Fury
- an experienced 10 (Goodman? Sad)
- another good centre(lose Fitz/Tait/Higgins)
- 2 x back 3 (possibly Cato + 1 other?)

- 3/4 backs?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 09 Apr 2013, 11:56 am

Yeah i think your not far off mate. Certainly we need to upgrade a few positions.

Lock looks seriously bare...
Fh is an obvious one...we need some experience in there to continue Hodgsons development.
I think our front row is quite strong actually. I rate James hall very highly...think hes a strong scrummager aswell.

Its going to be interesting...also to see how many of the young academy lads might develop aswell...many now will be looking to move out of the academy and more into the actual 1sts or A teams.

Scott Wilson
George McGuigan: Ireland u20 hooker and a big lump of a lad. Could he be the answer in the next few seasons?
Zach Kibirige
Jeff Hallam: LH who gets great reviews in the Development games.
Big Joe: Will he kick on next season?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 09 Apr 2013, 12:57 pm

I agree with most of what has already been written. I reckon we really need a top notch destructive tighthead. Tomohawk will struggle to last the pace at Premiership level, Brookes is fat and could be potentially yanked back to Tigers if he became un-fat and the young lads a just too inexperienced at the moment.

I'm concerned about Scott Lawson; I never really rated him when he was at Gloucester. McGuigan might be an option, but I haven't actually seen him play so I am not sure.

I would like to see at least two new locks. I remain unconvinced that Tomes can cut it at the highest level and Scott Mcleod will be pushing 35 by the business end of next season, it leaves us very exposed. Perhaps Joe Robinson might be lining up for some time there next year?

Back-row is mostly okay, would maybe like to see a utility player that can get us over the gain line though. It would be good to see what Ollie Steadman and Chris York can do.

Has Rory Clegg been confirmed back to us yet? Could definitely do with a first choice FH until Joel is ready, it’s a shame we couldn't nab Andy Foode, I'd have chipped in for a pasty or two.

I was hoping that Richards could work his contacts at Quins, they seem to be producing some outstanding young back three players ( I mentioned Stegmann before). They may have a few more fringe players that Dean knows well.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 09 Apr 2013, 1:52 pm

I think Blair shows our intention in the market. He's a top class player at only 31 can still do the business for a few years.

A few more players in that kind of mould through the core of the side would be great to bring the youngsters through.

I'm thinking along the lines of Peter Grant, Braid, Latimer, Barclay, Kellock etc.

I think we'll be mainly looking at Scotland/NZ with a bit of SA Smile

I know we've been linked to Barclay, I would love to see him and Kellock in a Falcons shirt.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 09 Apr 2013, 2:55 pm

"I think our front row is quite strong actually. I rate James hall very highly...think hes a strong scrummager aswell."

Looks like Hall is off to Bristol GF, we must have another TH in the pipeline.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 09 Apr 2013, 3:22 pm

Really...im quite surprised about that as i thought he was a good TH.

However as you say....who's that leaving the door open for?????

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 10 Apr 2013, 6:36 am

Interesting - filtering through in reports that Brive loved Blair but didn't have the money to keep him. Props to the Falcons for sniffing that one out. Quite nice to have a Lions scrum half and the most capped Scots 9 ever as a squad player. And as formal retiree he'll be available throughout the international window too.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 13 Apr 2013, 7:25 pm

Plymouth 10 - Falcons 25

Well we won again and Bristol next week is the final main season game..can we go winning every game? Im getting nervous now for the play offs....

Newcastle Falcons: 15 Alex Tait, 14 Noah Cato, 13 Adam Powell, 12 Jamie Helleur, 11 Tom Catterick, 10 Waisea Luveniyali, 9 Warren Fury, 1 Grant Shiells, 2 Matt Thompson, 3 Scott Wilson, 4 Scott MacLeod, 5 Carlo del Fava, 6 Ollie Stedman, 7 Will Welch (c), 8 Ally Hogg

Replacements: 16 Rob Vickers, 17 James Hall, 18 Richard Mayhew, 19 Richard Mayhew, 20 Jordi Pasqualin, 21 Joel Hodgson, 22 James Fitzpatrick

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 13 Apr 2013, 7:45 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Plymouth 10 - Falcons 25

Well we won again and Bristol next week is the final main season game..can we go winning every game? Im getting nervous now for the play offs....

Newcastle Falcons: 15 Alex Tait, 14 Noah Cato, 13 Adam Powell, 12 Jamie Helleur, 11 Tom Catterick, 10 Waisea Luveniyali, 9 Warren Fury, 1 Grant Shiells, 2 Matt Thompson, 3 Scott Wilson, 4 Scott MacLeod, 5 Carlo del Fava, 6 Ollie Stedman, 7 Will Welch (c), 8 Ally Hogg

Replacements: 16 Rob Vickers, 17 James Hall, 18 Richard Mayhew, 19 Richard Mayhew, 20 Jordi Pasqualin, 21 Joel Hodgson, 22 James Fitzpatrick
Can you tell me about your 10 and 12, Geordie? No idea about them.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 13 Apr 2013, 7:53 pm

I think that Jamie Helleur was one of the "journeymen" brought in by Alan Tait last year.

According to Wiki the fijian at 10 was at Quins for a bit 4 years ago but a new one to me, never heard of him.

His Quins profile: http://www.quins.co.uk/rugby/harlequins_rugby_union_1st_xv.php?player=33612&includeref=dynamic

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 13 Apr 2013, 7:58 pm

12 - Samoan centre...small squat centre...very tough and physical as you expect from Samoans. He came at the start of last season and has dividied opinions but this season he has really started to put some very impressive performances in as he did again today. Now is that the drop in standards? Who knows and if we're fortunate to get back up we will see...

10 - Fijian fly half hes decent and can kick. Ill be interested to see if he'll be here next season. Probably 3rd choice behind Gopperth and Joel Hodgson.

That was not the first choice lineup today...Scott Wilson again showed he could really be something special...Ollie Steadman another young back rower just signed from Tynedale showed his potential and ball carrying ability - something we need.
Of course all very well doing it in the championship its doing it in the prem that matters should we get in....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Sat 13 Apr 2013, 8:39 pm

Whist the top 4 other clubs performances have been improving you 're still ahead of them by a a good margin. In one way it's unfortunate because for the first time all five clubs that could still be a part of the play offs all meet the Jeff criteria as I understand it making it a meaningful excercise. It could be a lot tighter in the end than I expected even a month ago.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 15 Apr 2013, 12:51 pm

See keiran Brookes and Adam Powell have signed 2 year contracts.

Well i hope they sort Brookes out...he's too heavy and carrying too much fat. BUT if we can sort him out...then a shrewd aquisition.

Where will he be played though...TH, LH or even Hooker?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 15 Apr 2013, 1:05 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:See keiran Brookes and Adam Powell have signed 2 year contracts.

Well i hope they sort Brookes out...he's too heavy and carrying too much fat. BUT if we can sort him out...then a shrewd aquisition.

Where will he be played though...TH, LH or even Hooker?

All three perhaps? He could become very useful if he becomes proficent in even two different postions. Hopefully Deano will put a security guard on the door of every Nandos in the North East! I hope he will repay the faith the club is showing him with loyalty too. It would be galling to get him right, only to see him bugger off again.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 15 Apr 2013, 1:18 pm

Yes thats true.

I think Deano will have him on a strict conditioning regime and diet.

Thats the bigger question though...should we get back up, get him in top form again will he just move on. He wouldnt be a welcome chappie back at KP if he did it again.

Mind he has to try to get past Scott Wilson...and im not sure he'll do that.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 15 Apr 2013, 1:26 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I think Blair shows our intention in the market. He's a top class player at only 31 can still do the business for a few years.

A few more players in that kind of mould through the core of the side would be great to bring the youngsters through.

I'm thinking along the lines of Peter Grant, Braid, Latimer, Barclay, Kellock etc.

I think we'll be mainly looking at Scotland/NZ with a bit of SA Smile

I know we've been linked to Barclay, I would love to see him and Kellock in a Falcons shirt.

Barclay would be a shrewd acquisition, Kellock would not. Swinson, who you'll know all about, has been quite comfortably the best lock at Glasgow this season. Kellock makes a lot a noise and lumbers around quite a bit, but in terms of tangible contribution to the game of rugby, he's overrated.

Barclay though would serve you well. He's a dogged competitor, gets around the park well and is fearless in the tackle.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 15 Apr 2013, 3:23 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:12 - Samoan centre...small squat centre...very tough and physical as you expect from Samoans. He came at the start of last season and has dividied opinions but this season he has really started to put some very impressive performances in as he did again today. Now is that the drop in standards? Who knows and if we're fortunate to get back up we will see...

10 - Fijian fly half hes decent and can kick. Ill be interested to see if he'll be here next season. Probably 3rd choice behind Gopperth and Joel Hodgson.

That was not the first choice lineup today...Scott Wilson again showed he could really be something special...Ollie Steadman another young back rower just signed from Tynedale showed his potential and ball carrying ability - something we need.
Of course all very well doing it in the championship its doing it in the prem that matters should we get in....
Thanks Geordie. Am I going mad or did Gopperth not sign for Leinster earlier in the year? Headscratch I'm assuming that's why you signed your Fijian in the first place.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 15 Apr 2013, 3:27 pm

No the Fijian has been here a season or two now...my memory is going ha.

Gopperth has signed for the start of next season for Leinster.

Most Falcon fans expect a new experienced FH to come in...to continue to mentor Joel Hodgson.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 15 Apr 2013, 4:08 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Most Falcon fans expect a new experienced FH to come in...to continue to mentor Joel Hodgson.

May I commend Mr Piers Francis to you.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 16 Apr 2013, 6:11 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Most Falcon fans expect a new experienced FH to come in...to continue to mentor Joel Hodgson.

May I commend Mr Piers Francis to you.....
We will swap him for a dozen Cadbury's Creme Eggs and a bottle of Brown.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:25 pm

happy with Clegg?

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:11 pm

Nope not really. Dissapointed actually.

He was quick to jump ship for a bigger club and now comes back not fullfilling his potential. ppftt.

Fairly good passer, average kicker...not meeting my expectations.

He will only take up time that Joel Hodgson should be getting as i still suspect another senior 10 will come in.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:15 pm

Interesting, I thought the response would be different. I know that he's not fulfilled his potential thus far, but from what I can remember he's a serious talent.

I can understand the annoyance that he was so quick to leave last time round, but he does have a pretty good allround game from memory.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17 ... 22  Next