The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

+51
RDW
Rugby Fan
Hound of Harrow
tooboredtowork
westisbest
Scrumpy
Mickado
Irish Londoner
Imperialbigdave
BristolDave
B91212
Sam
funnyExiledScot
LeinsterFan4life
stnick88
Francogermanicenglishman
Jenifer McLadyboy
Ozzy3213
Hood83
HammerofThunor
screamingaddabs
thebluesmancometh
SirBurger
ScarletSpiderman
beshocked
formerly known as Sam
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Jimpy
aitchw
SGD prop
KickAndChase
George Carlin
Morgannwg
mckay1402
Dim
Big
DaveM
yappysnap
Sgt_Pooly
Fluxy
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Driver
Portnoy
LondonTiger
ChequeredJersey
Bristolian
Cumbrian
TrailApe
Bathite
bluestonevedder
Geordie
55 posters

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 13 Empty Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by Geordie Thu 30 Aug 2012, 1:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Manager: Dean Richards
Head Coach: Peter Russell

Current Squad:

Forwards
Props:
Grant Shiels
Oliver Tomasczyk
Keiron Brookes
Scott Wilson

Hookers:
Matt Thompson
Rob Vickers
Scott Lawson

Second Rows:
Carlo Del Fava
Scott MacLeod
Sean Tomes
Frasier McKensie

Back Row
Ally Hogg
Will Welch
Richard Mayhew
Andy Saul
Mark Wilson
Chris York

Backs
SH's
Rory Lawson
Chris Pilgrim
Warren Fury
Mike Blair

Fh's
Joel Hodgson
Waisea Luveniyali
Rory Clegg
Phil Godman

Centres
Jamie Helleur
James Fitzpatrick
Tane Tu'ipulotu
Andrew Higgins
Alex Crocket
Michael Tait
Adam Powell
Danny Barnes - In from Munster

Wing:
Ryan Shortland
Andy Higgins
Suka Hufanga
Noah Cato

FB's:
Tom Catterick
Alex Tait

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:11 am; edited 21 times in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 13 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:20 pm

Theres very mixed reactions on the Falcons boards. 50-50 id say.

Its good to have young local lads coming back to the club. Seems to be something Deano really wants...a core of passionate local talent mixed in with some world class aquistions...which i can go along with..

Many Quins fans say he can still be a top class premiership player. Well we shall see. He'll have my support...but we need some performances.

Clegg and Godson arent inspiring FH's for a burgeoning talent like Hodgson to work with.

But then i trust Deano so...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners - Page 13 Empty Re: Newcastle Falcons - We're back!! Championship winners

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:23 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:But then i trust Deano so...

I genuinely cannot remember what that feels like as an Edinburgh fan, to trust the head coach to sign the right players!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:25 pm

Prior to Deano...us Falcon fans were the same mate....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:31 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Prior to Deano...us Falcon fans were the same mate....

No sympathy for you I'm afraid. At least you had the early Rob Andrew years, with the Championship winning Newcastle/Scotland exiles team....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:34 pm

Now THAT was a fabulous team.

The Kilted Geordies...Doddie Weir, Gary Armstrong (possibly my favorite ever falcon) Peter Walton, John Leslie, George Graham...

Hey we now have..Mike Blair, Grant Shiels, Scott McCleod...maybe a few more on their way?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:41 pm

Alan Tait as well don't forget.

You've also got Ali Hogg and Rory Lawson currently on the books, plus (I think) Alex Tait is Scots qualified.

John Barclay would be a great signing for you guys. A proper international quality openside goes a long way in the Aviva.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:51 pm

Alan tait brings mixed emotions top class player...not so great coach.

Yes forgot (how could i ) all about Ali Hogg....and Rory...but Rory will be on his way i suspect.

Yeah Barclay is an interesting one. We are quite happy with young Will mind local lad...cracking player and captain. Looking at getting Saul in from Sarries but personally i way have Barclay over him.
Be interesting to see what happens next season.

I take Ritchie Gray from sale thats for sure.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:56 pm

I assume that Gray will stay with Sale now that they are staying up.

Pity, comfortably one of the dumbest transfer decisions I can recall, and I'd far rather Dean Richards work with him than Steve Diamond.

Saull would be a decent signing, suprised Sarries would let him go though. Saull and Fraser are two decent English opensides. Perhaps there's another South African on the way.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:58 pm

Yeah maybe.

One things for sure...if we manage to get up...i expect quite a number of players coming and going.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Wed 17 Apr 2013, 6:09 pm

Richie Gray is off to Castres isn't he?

I'd like to see a decent centre come in to fold, after the recent signings.

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 18 Apr 2013, 7:26 am

Saull signs up:

http://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/m/news/story/falcons-swoop-for-saull-2

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 18 Apr 2013, 7:53 am

Ha,ha yeah just saw that. Interesting. Do you rate him?

Deanos bringing alot of you British lads in...good signs

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 18 Apr 2013, 8:14 am

I don't think he's McCaw as the Rugby claimed he was last year.

Could be a good option though.

How many of these signings are ex Saxons?

Saull - yes
Brookes - yes
Clegg - I think he is
Powell - ?
Cato - yea

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 18 Apr 2013, 9:02 am

Saracens have become Newcastle's feeder club. Rolling Eyes

FES the backrow at Saracens is immensely competitive. Unfortunately Saull couldn't get a look in. Fraser as in excellent form and with Burger back now plus we have Nick Fenton Wells who can fill that position too. Plus thanks to Scotland Brown can now play 7 as well.

I like what Newcastle are doing signing these guys like Brookes,Cato,Powell,Clegg etc.

They have AP experience and the potential is there. They are relatively young,English and hungry to prove themselves.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu 18 Apr 2013, 9:05 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Saull signs up:

http://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/m/news/story/falcons-swoop-for-saull-2

Good signing for you guys I recon, just needs to get regular game time to get some form.

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu 18 Apr 2013, 9:06 am

Ready for the play off dress rehearsal on Saturday? Of the 5 teams still in contention only Bedford have a fairly easy tie. Carnegie and Bristol get to measure their progress for the season against the 2 most likely finalists. Can't see any of the teams giving any quarter so could be a good weekend.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 18 Apr 2013, 9:07 am

beshocked wrote:Saracens have become Newcastle's feeder club. Rolling Eyes

FES the backrow at Saracens is immensely competitive. Unfortunately Saull couldn't get a look in. Fraser as in excellent form and with Burger back now plus we have Nick Fenton Wells who can fill that position too. Plus thanks to Scotland Brown can now play 7 as well.

I like what Newcastle are doing signing these guys like Brookes,Cato,Powell,Clegg etc.

They have AP experience and the potential is there. They are relatively young,English and hungry to prove themselves.

We could do worse! Laugh

Fancy sending Mako Vunipola and James Short our way too?
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:00 am

Cumbrian wrote:
beshocked wrote:Saracens have become Newcastle's feeder club. Rolling Eyes

We could do worse! Laugh

Fancy sending Mako Vunipola and James Short our way too?

James Short is much more likely than Mako though of course ideally want to keep both.

Would be great if Newcastle can get the best out of the players you have signed.

These players have struggled for gametime but at Newcastle they shouldn't.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:03 am

Where has James Short gone? Sarries fans were picking him for England last season!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:06 am

He's still at Sarries, it was wishful thinking on my part. Very Happy

Joking aside I would take James Short in a second! I would love a Falcons back three of:

11. James Short
14. Noah Cato
15. Tom Catterick

I can but dream I suppose.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:18 am

He is still at Sarries but Short is not getting the gametime when Strettle and Ashton are nailed on starters.

James Short just isn't scoring tries. 1 in 13 games in the AP.

Wouldn't surprise me if Short looked at Newcastle once his contract runs out at Sarries.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:25 am

He strikes me as too good to be sitting on the bench. Good balance and that low centre of gravity, should be getting regular rugby somewhere.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:30 am

aitchw wrote:Ready for the play off dress rehearsal on Saturday? Of the 5 teams still in contention only Bedford have a fairly easy tie. Carnegie and Bristol get to measure their progress for the season against the 2 most likely finalists. Can't see any of the teams giving any quarter so could be a good weekend.

Aye, I've been looking to see if it is on telly, but it doesn't look like it. Will be the radio again I guess. Would love this to be a true rehearsal for the play offs because I will actually be able to get to see Falcons play (for a change) in one of the legs down at the Mem!
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Thu 18 Apr 2013, 12:05 pm

Part of the problem with the Championship isn't it, not enough coverage to help generate interest and revenue. Unless Moseley upset Bedford I think Bristol will miss out but nothing's a given outside the top 2 and Notts are not unbeatable unlike Falcons.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 18 Apr 2013, 9:53 pm

Yeah i have to say these are signings that if we can get the potential out of them...they will be very good signings indeed. I always rated Powell at centre, and Cato has alot to offer.

Im not a massive Saull fan BUT he can give Welch competition and help with the workload over a season...meaning we still have a good 7 in every game.

I suspect Deano will have a serious fitness regime booked for Brookes. If he can get lean and mean again he could be a valuable signing..but ive said before he'll have to get past young Scott Wilson.

But hey its competiton..potential and most of these have AP experience and shown good ability at that level aswell. And they're young English lads not rubbish foreign journeymen that we have become used to signing over the last few years.

A core of these type of players mixed with a nucleus of world class players like Blair etc and we should do nicely....AS LONG AS WE GO UP... Erm

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu 18 Apr 2013, 11:02 pm

How has Cato been going GF? Other than a quick look at the results & table I don't really follow the Championship. When at Saints he always looked dangerous in attack but poor defensively, especially positioning and I often held my breath when his side of the pitch was being attacked by the opposition.

Really hope he settles in and does well. On another note always rated Powell and am confident he will do well if (when) you win promotion back to the Jeff.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 20 Apr 2013, 4:53 pm

Love sacks, now I am nervous...
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Sat 20 Apr 2013, 4:55 pm

Falcons 14, Bristol 19. Leeds win so stay 4th. Pleased to get 'revenge' for your win at the Mem. But now I hope Falcons go on and finish the job in play-offs. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristolian Sat 20 Apr 2013, 4:57 pm

Cumbrian wrote:Love sacks, now I am nervous...

You'll be fine, they're still the best team in the league by some distance, one loss doesn't change that. Who knows, maybe a little kick up the rear could be a good wake up call.

Bristolian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 20 Apr 2013, 6:28 pm

Yeah massively nervous now...shows how farcical this division play off system is...as bristol know only to well.

Id rather lose this one get a proper kick up the backside and win the play offs though...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 20 Apr 2013, 6:58 pm

Very surprised with this one, anybody got any insight?

Happy with Leeds, they've looked pretty poor.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Sat 20 Apr 2013, 6:58 pm

Good win for Bristol, just a win short for the season as far as playoffs are concerned. Don't think Falcons should have too much to worry about against us but you just never know. I will be very embarrassed if we end up being the cause of Falcons not going up. Think Bedford should beat Notts but it will be a tight game.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Sat 20 Apr 2013, 10:50 pm

Hope Newcastle go up as they gave led the league since the start. However as a Bristol supporter I know how things can change if you switch off for 15 minutes. Very frustrating that we can win like today but lose other games that we were expected to win. Hopefully next year we will be there!

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:20 am

3 new signings:

Scott Lawson, Fraser McKenzie, Phil Godman

http://blogs.espnscrum.com/latest-news/archives/2013/04/newcastle_bring_in_three_more.php

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:59 am

More I think about Lawson signing the more I think it was a great BT of shrewd business by Richards to get a 'basics' hooker. Mackenzie seems like a replacement for Hudson, almost broke into the Scotland side a while back.

Just don't like Godman much, but as a squad player I think I can buy it - for now.

Pooly seen Bath are in for Henson?! Dodged a bullet there hopefully.

Fluxy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 22 Apr 2013, 11:38 am

3 good signings Flux.

Godman is not exciting but he'll kick the goals and allow Hodgson/Clegg to come along.

Building a tidy squad

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 22 Apr 2013, 12:32 pm

Not exactly inspiring in my eyes.

Lawson...too small...does the basics but not want i want at hooker.
Godman...dear me
McKensie..barely seen anything of him so wouldnt be fair to judge.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 22 Apr 2013, 12:47 pm

Sale fans rate him. He was in Scotland squad earlier in year

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 22 Apr 2013, 12:49 pm

Right...well that might be a decent signing...but the others...

Tumbleweed raspberry

If we're going down the line of a decent experienced 10 to help with Clegg and particularly Hodgson..then Id rather have gone for Andy Goode or someone.
Actually id rather have Clegg 1st choice 10.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 22 Apr 2013, 12:57 pm

Maybe he will be GF, Godman a steady hand to come on tho.

I'm happy with Lawson, his darts are quality. We've got a good pack blend

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 22 Apr 2013, 1:12 pm

What do you think of McGuirk the young hooker...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Apr 2013, 1:39 pm

MacKenzie is a decent signing at lock, and Lawson will give you handy squad cover a hooker (good thrower), but I cannot for the life of me understand what Dean Richards wants with Phil Godman!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:03 pm

Meanwhile...The Play Off's

The Falcons go to Leeds on Monday 6 May for the first leg (kick-off 3.15pm)
The second leg taking is at Kingston Park on Sunday 12 May (kick-off 1.15pm).

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:09 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Meanwhile...The Play Off's

The Falcons go to Leeds on Monday 6 May for the first leg (kick-off 3.15pm)
The second leg taking is at Kingston Park on Sunday 12 May (kick-off 1.15pm).

good luck

Oh, and what are the rules on dual registered players appearing in play-offs. Could we suddenley see a team of ringers?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:29 pm

Think they had to have been signed by March (i may be wrong) to play.

Dont think you will see any of the teams flooded with dual players to be honest.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:23 pm

Next seasons pack?

1. Golding - Shiells
2. Lawson - Thompson/Vickers
3. Brookes - Tomas
4. Del Fava - McKenzie
5. Macleod - ?
6. Welch - Wilson - ?
7. Saull - Welsh - Robinson
8. Hogg - York

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:40 pm

We still have Tomes in the Second Row...

I think Scott Wilson will be getting some game time next season again...hes played quite abit this season...and he will be our TH hopefully for years to come. Englands Carl Hayman.

Be interesting to see if Hallam gets promoted from the academy next season...really promising LH.

Back row looks competitive. I rate Mark Wilson very highly at 6...
I also wonder if Big Joe Robinson will push on next season. Havent seen a huge amount of him this season...and i thought we might have.
Also want to see more of York.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:48 pm

Robinson has been playing second row for the development team, so I reckon he is more in the lock/ blindside role. He is going to have some tough competition, but should get some game time in the LV Cup games (hope I'm not tempting fate here!).

Do you think we'll keep hold of Ollie Steadman? He has signed until the end of the season, I was wondering if he'll get a contract extension.

Last edited by Cumbrian on Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:56 pm

Yeah i noticed that about Joe...well he is 6'5 / 6'6 and probably pushing 18st now so makes sense.

Ollie has some potential. I think they'll give him another year...hes a strong ball carrier which losing Tuifua is going to be critical as we dont have a load of real heavy carriers.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 22 Apr 2013, 5:02 pm

Neutral in peace offering my tuppence on the recent signings.

The way I see it, Richards needs to build a squad and some depth for next season with the aim of surviving, before hunting some big names for the season after that. No sense splashing out on big names if you dont have the depth to last the season. If thats the case, youve got three 3 good squad players right there. Mckenzies got the potential to be much more, but all three are solid and have tons of experience.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next