The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official ryder cup thread.....

+53
bluestonevedder
slyadams
af73
Bob_the_Job
George1507
lorus59
Plunky
kwinigolfer
ryan86
Faldono1fan
LondonTiger
oldparwin
Corporalhumblebucket
Good Golly I'm Olly
GT350
Duty281
hend085
CJB
vinyl1
PJHolybloke
Gordy
Slowride
monty junior
JAS
Sand
Skerries
matelot golfer
shudofhita4iron
djlovesyou
TRUSSMAN66
Dave.
hogie
GSC
BlueCoverman
1GrumpyGolfer
Tiler76
barragan
EdWoodjr
mystiroakey
navyblueshorts
pedro
raycastleunited
incontinentia
Skydriver
Shotrock
dynamark
SmithersJones
Hibbz
John Cregan
Diggers
GunsGerms
super_realist
McLaren
57 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The official ryder cup thread..... - Page 4 Empty The official ryder cup thread.....

Post by McLaren Wed 26 Sep 2012, 2:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

or at least what it should look like if we ignore the over hyped nature of the event;

The Ryder cup will be contested over Medinah country clubs number 3 course where Tiger Woods has won two of his four PGA championships. This is a rather odd choice of venue for a nation so patriotic like America, as the clubhouse is styled on the headquarters of the terrorists. And we know how much the terrorists hate America, and vice versa? The fans won’t know whether to watch the golf or build bunkers in their back gardens. The invasion has started!

We can only hope however, that the importance of golf’s second biggest team exhibition match – the most important being the Tavistock – is not overshadowed by such politics. Although, politics are set to overshadow the performance of one British player competing this week. The finest golfer in all of the Queens land is set to declare his nationality as Greek, in the hope he will not have to compete in this Mickey Mouse event next time around.

The captains have only very inconsequential decisions to make during the week yet one of them has already arsed it up. Ollie has decided that wearing orange was the only way to stop young Rory defecting. The reasoning of course being that Rory will be supporting the Florida gators after he switches to the US full time.

The only other influence the captains have on the outcome of the match is in their decision of golf buggy driving style. The manner in which they and their VC’s maneuver the buggy around the course can set the tone for the way the team plays. At least I assume that’s what they are doing, as there is no other logical reason for driving around like a headless chicken trying to use a walkie talkie.

What the vice captains do when not trying to drive like a peacock would dance with its plumage is all a little vague. I wonder if they provide protection from the Ryder cup troll, aka monty. Any player suffering the misfortune of hearing this beast, which is so excitable around Ryder cup season, may never make sense of anything ever again.

I guess we cant forget that somehow this buffoon managed to win the thing, proving the ceremonial nature of the captains position. But who will win this time?

The yanks are likely to be spooked playing in the shadows of a minaret but the Europeans will have to cope with the only thing more vacuous than westwood, monty’s and Donald’s major trophy cabinets combined……. Paul McGinley. Have you ever heard the fool witter on during the sky coverage?

The deciding factor will of course be, something that would require more wasted thought on this over bloated charity for majorless European golfers.

There we have it, they level of seriousness with which you should view this event unless you are a man boobed fake Scottish bloke with a huge whole in your CV.

Last edited by McLaren on Thu 27 Sep 2012, 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

The official ryder cup thread..... - Page 4 Empty Re: The official ryder cup thread.....

Post by super_realist Sat 29 Sep 2012, 7:23 am

Who is this moron Trussman? Definitely a candidate for a nom de plume for Max/Keizo/Simba.

USA are a "massive" TWO points ahead, effectively only 1.5 points given that Europe only need 14.

It's only just gone beyond 25% of the available points on offer. So way too early to say "it's over" (A typical non golfers view that you hold). Would you be saying it's all over if Europe had been winning 5-3, no.

Europe could quite easily win the next two sessions 3-1 and then there would we be?

As for Poulter being left out. I think its pretty clear the need to blood everyone early. The Americans are going to have to leave big players out at some time too. (Woods left out tomorrow for instance, mind you he's been as much use as a chocolate fireguard thus far Laugh)
Not everyone can play five sessions. I'd expect Europe to have Donald, Garcia and Poulter back in for both sessions today.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

The official ryder cup thread..... - Page 4 Empty Re: The official ryder cup thread.....

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:12 am

I disagree that we need to blood any players in. However there was no need to pick certain players over poults anyway. Others got the nod yesterday over him that had also played the morning. Yet he was by far the best player of the morning(in regards to clutch and doing it when it mattered)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:45 am

I said it's over If we were 3 or 4 points ahead you moron...

Can't you read!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:41 am

Far better than you can write or add Trussman.5.5-2.5 is three.

Even if the gap were three or four there are still 20 points to play for.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by shudofhita4iron Sat 29 Sep 2012, 12:21 pm

so woods hacked it around in the morning because he was playing a different ball The official ryder cup thread..... - Page 4 3187153522
why do comentators have to make excuses for him,he played s**t end of

shudofhita4iron

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Sat 29 Sep 2012, 1:30 pm

Oh yes, all the cheering as they tee off. Bruce 'stuff fart' Critchley is going to have a coronary what with all his ramblings of tradition blah blah! Poulter though trying to play Bubba at his own game promptly cocks it up!

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Sat 29 Sep 2012, 1:32 pm

Rose then bails him out with a career bunker shot to about 10 feet!! Poulter wipes the sweat off his brow!!

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 1:34 pm

Just realised - Aresenal chelsea are on. England v NZ (cricket) and the the ryder cup at the same time..... _ not on

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat 29 Sep 2012, 1:37 pm

I actually like the American crowd.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Sat 29 Sep 2012, 1:58 pm

Predicted the 3-1 with Colserts (no help from Westy) in a little old accumulator last night and won myself £223 Very Happy

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 29 Sep 2012, 2:14 pm

matelot golfer wrote:Predicted the 3-1 with Colserts (no help from Westy) in a little old accumulator last night and won myself £223 Very Happy

Did they give you odds on Colsaerts and Westy winning without Westy helping? Seems like an odd bet to accept. Very Happy

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Sat 29 Sep 2012, 2:31 pm

Westy could have saved himself a walk yesterday afternoon and let Colserts play Stricker and Woods on his own.

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 2:33 pm

matelot golfer wrote:Predicted the 3-1 with Colserts (no help from Westy) in a little old accumulator last night and won myself £223 Very Happy

what betting site took that accumulator?

btw i backed the westy colsaets and all- made a few quid

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Sat 29 Sep 2012, 3:20 pm

Paddy Power

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:14 pm

Been watching and I'm not that surprised Westwood is playing as poorly as this. He hasn't had a good year. Just surprised that Ollie has stuck with him.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:16 pm

Is anyone else fed up listening to Monty? I like the guy as a golfer but he's spoiling my TV viewing enjoyment.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:31 pm

Only everyone Skerries. Nice enough fella. but something about him grates.

Westy has been in ok form- just abit patchy this year(not his best- but still played the best golf tee to green in the masters and us open). he played well in the first two Fed play offs as well

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:49 pm

Ironically tee to green Monty was great too.

Not enough to groove a swing, you have a great short game, especially putting, or v v long. Westwood normally putts well in Ryder Cups - but not this year and definitely not this week.

McDowell hasn't been great either. Wouldn't be surprised to see him rested this pm too.

Impressed by Rose.

Course is too long for Donald.

Bradley is great. Came over to the Irish Open and made a great impression on many as a decent person.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 4:58 pm

Nah no course is to long for donald- just hasnt delieved(not helped by his partners mind), he is the same distance wise as zach or poults. Normally his 100 yard in is better than any other.

Monty had the best distant control in his prime...

rose is playing ok. He has been very consitant this year so no real shock there

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:08 pm

Impressed by Rose? Really? Hes been dreadful.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:09 pm

that was awfull yes!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:10 pm

Hes been p!sh today and was marginally better than Kaymer yesterday in 4 balls.

Europe have just played utter crap

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:12 pm

well if he gets 2 wins out of 3- then fair play- ok its been all about poults- but he has played his part..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:12 pm

I don't think Donald has the same in reserve as Poults.

The course is very like Augusta in that going in with an 8 iron rather than a 6 makes a big difference. The USA team have the big guns.

It's gonna take some effort to turn this one around for Europe.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:16 pm

same in reverse?
sorry not sure what you mean mate.

oh you said reserve!! doh. Maybe- but He allways plays within him self

Donald plays well on long courses all the time- its a myth that he cant play em- he just plasy them diferent. Final round on any course he cuts the mustard!!!

Long hitters may benefit yes- but donald on form is so good that it isnt allways enough

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:21 pm

Europe appear to be trying too hard. I know the 'Seve thing' has been used to provide focus but too much determination can be a problem on the golf course.

Davis L's attitude of encouraging his team to enjoy themselves has been working so far.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:27 pm

"Donald plays well on long courses all the time"

Don't see it that way. Majors are played on long courses - he hasn't won one even though he's often in-form going into them. Just a good player with a classic swing.

IMO, far too many meaningless events with WGR points allows these players to appear better than they really are. Saying that, Donald is probably at the top of the second tier players.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:40 pm

Well he does. Sorry mate we are gonna have to disagree on this one. He has the game on any course.

You put him in a second tier- thats fine. but name the people in the first tier then????

coz i can only see two of them in that tier!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:51 pm

The current first tier are those who have won a major in the past 4 years or those in the top 50 I would suggest have the game to win one. For example I would back the likes of Fowler, Snedeker, Colsaerts, Johnson, Scott, Garcia or Mahan to bag a major before Donald even gets a runner up place. I would pay money to watch those guys.

As I say, if you regard the OWGR table as the truth then fine, I don't. I make a judgement as to who I regard as value for money to either bet on at a major or pay to watch.

Stricker and Donald are very similar. I guess they've got qualities to be admired but they'll never hit the jackpot.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:55 pm

It's turning into one way traffic. It's not even the weaker Kaymer, Hanson or Lawrie who are being turned over.

Looking bleak the chances this year

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 5:58 pm

The current first tier(all the major winners in 4 years)- lol, dont make me laugh

who said i take the OWGr as gods truth. Certainly not me. I watch the players week in week out and make the assemesment.,

The top tier is Rors and tiger, no one else.

That would still be the same if the ranking also didnt suggest that.

Next point this course isnt to long for donald- Not in a million years- he has just been of form..

never hit the jackpot lol. Players like lawrie, ian baker finch, darren clarke ,cink have hit the jackpot mate..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:00 pm

Looking that way just now...

but this is golf

Europe need a mindset change. If so I think they'll do better this afternoon. NI boys can still get something out of the last Foursomes.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:04 pm

"I watch the players week in week out and make the assemesment"

I doubt you've seen these guys strike it in real life. If you had you'd know that " lawrie, ian baker finch, darren clarke ,cink" have it and Donald just hasn't.

mate

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:07 pm

Havent seen them strike the ball. Haha, I have played with some of them- mate!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:11 pm

You've posted on this website 11475 times.

Hmmm, surprised you've had time to leave the house let alone get a round in.

Ah, of course - in a computer game!

Last edited by Skerries on Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:13 pm

Have you got some kind of problem Skerries?

Cause i am not gonna rise to your baiting anymore. Just calm yourself down or get lost.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:14 pm

Always pays to tell the truth...

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:15 pm

Skerries wrote:

IMO, far too many meaningless events with WGR points allows these players to appear better than they really are. Saying that, Donald is probably at the top of the second tier players.

Given Luke Donald plays the majority of his golf on the PGA tour, which are these meaningless events that Donald is picking up points? Are you suggesting that USPGA tour events are meaningless?

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:16 pm

It does skriees- now answer this honestly- Whats your problem?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:18 pm

so its 8-4..

we need a minimum of 2.5- 1.5 i feel!!

and even then its gonna be tough!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:20 pm

"Are you suggesting that USPGA tour events are meaningless?"

Yes, a fair proportion of them are meaningless.

To be honest, I didn't think I had a problem. It appears I've stumbled across a psychiatrist in yourself. Perhaps you could point out my failings?

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:24 pm

What makes these events meaningless?

Is it because all YOUR favourite players are not always entered, so if you're not interested in an event, that event then should become meaningless for everyone?

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:24 pm

Just debate the sport mate- dont try and get personal and insinuate that others do this or others do that!- thats all..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:31 pm

Sorry, have to duck out of this.

Have grown-ups to talk to.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:31 pm

Haha, they calling you for your tea or something.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 6:42 pm

laughing

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat 29 Sep 2012, 7:03 pm

There's some odd opinions suddenly floating around..."Donald doesn't have it"...What????

This time last year Donald was WELL recognised as the best player in the world on BOTH sides of the Atlantic, now after a bit of a dip season and a lacklustre day & a half at the RC, all of a sudden he's not world class and will never win a Major...really?? Well if you're that sure go bet the value of your house on that, scan in the betting slip and post it here.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 7:12 pm

You guys need to calm down.

Long time since an English major champ, frustration is understandable but it won't be Donald who does the business.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 7:17 pm

I can see him doing it first- but then i wouldnt be suprised if it is rose or even poults, but then the way things are going it could be anyone down the line. it could be a amatuer in the open (just a complete lottery half the time).

Donald has the skills no doubt. I think he needs to cut down his schedule and really concentrate on the majors rather than competiting in so many events as he has done proeviously. He allways comes good weekend in the majors- He just needs to sort out the mental block at the start of them

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat 29 Sep 2012, 7:22 pm

Skerries wrote:You guys need to calm down.

Long time since an English major champ, frustration is understandable but it won't be Donald who does the business.

...and you need to be a lot less presumptious....I'm not frustrated at the fact that Donald hasn't won a major, I just get irritated at "experts" turning up on the golf boards during big events spouting utter p15h without any foundation whatsoever.

...and at the risk of peeing off my English mates I also resent the implication that I'm English

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next