The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official ryder cup thread.....

+53
bluestonevedder
slyadams
af73
Bob_the_Job
George1507
lorus59
Plunky
kwinigolfer
ryan86
Faldono1fan
LondonTiger
oldparwin
Corporalhumblebucket
Good Golly I'm Olly
GT350
Duty281
hend085
CJB
vinyl1
PJHolybloke
Gordy
Slowride
monty junior
JAS
Sand
Skerries
matelot golfer
shudofhita4iron
djlovesyou
TRUSSMAN66
Dave.
hogie
GSC
BlueCoverman
1GrumpyGolfer
Tiler76
barragan
EdWoodjr
mystiroakey
navyblueshorts
pedro
raycastleunited
incontinentia
Skydriver
Shotrock
dynamark
SmithersJones
Hibbz
John Cregan
Diggers
GunsGerms
super_realist
McLaren
57 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

The official ryder cup thread..... - Page 9 Empty The official ryder cup thread.....

Post by McLaren Wed 26 Sep 2012, 2:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

or at least what it should look like if we ignore the over hyped nature of the event;

The Ryder cup will be contested over Medinah country clubs number 3 course where Tiger Woods has won two of his four PGA championships. This is a rather odd choice of venue for a nation so patriotic like America, as the clubhouse is styled on the headquarters of the terrorists. And we know how much the terrorists hate America, and vice versa? The fans won’t know whether to watch the golf or build bunkers in their back gardens. The invasion has started!

We can only hope however, that the importance of golf’s second biggest team exhibition match – the most important being the Tavistock – is not overshadowed by such politics. Although, politics are set to overshadow the performance of one British player competing this week. The finest golfer in all of the Queens land is set to declare his nationality as Greek, in the hope he will not have to compete in this Mickey Mouse event next time around.

The captains have only very inconsequential decisions to make during the week yet one of them has already arsed it up. Ollie has decided that wearing orange was the only way to stop young Rory defecting. The reasoning of course being that Rory will be supporting the Florida gators after he switches to the US full time.

The only other influence the captains have on the outcome of the match is in their decision of golf buggy driving style. The manner in which they and their VC’s maneuver the buggy around the course can set the tone for the way the team plays. At least I assume that’s what they are doing, as there is no other logical reason for driving around like a headless chicken trying to use a walkie talkie.

What the vice captains do when not trying to drive like a peacock would dance with its plumage is all a little vague. I wonder if they provide protection from the Ryder cup troll, aka monty. Any player suffering the misfortune of hearing this beast, which is so excitable around Ryder cup season, may never make sense of anything ever again.

I guess we cant forget that somehow this buffoon managed to win the thing, proving the ceremonial nature of the captains position. But who will win this time?

The yanks are likely to be spooked playing in the shadows of a minaret but the Europeans will have to cope with the only thing more vacuous than westwood, monty’s and Donald’s major trophy cabinets combined……. Paul McGinley. Have you ever heard the fool witter on during the sky coverage?

The deciding factor will of course be, something that would require more wasted thought on this over bloated charity for majorless European golfers.

There we have it, they level of seriousness with which you should view this event unless you are a man boobed fake Scottish bloke with a huge whole in your CV.

Last edited by McLaren on Thu 27 Sep 2012, 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

The official ryder cup thread..... - Page 9 Empty Re: The official ryder cup thread.....

Post by Gareth_NI Mon 01 Oct 2012, 11:23 am

Incredible tournament, by far the best Ryder Cup I have ever watched. Definately up there with the best sporting achievement and come back given there predicament on Saturday.

To beat the Yanks 8.5 to 3.5 in the singles is a stunning effort. Was extremely nervous watching Kaymer given he twice blew a 1 up lead coming in but great effort. Special mentions to Poulter, I don't like him/his personality BUT his efforts were incredible definate European talisman, to Lawrie, he and Colsaerts were desperately unlucky on Saturday evening with hit flags and lipped putts but he dominated Snedeker in the singles and to Justin Rose-16/17/18 were awesome!!! And Phil Mickelson again proves how much of a gent he is.

Truly stunned that Tiger gave Fran the putt on the 18th, althought given the US were so far ahead 14/14 would have been meaningless anyway but I never expected him to just concede like that. Would also be interested to know exactly what happened with Rory, I don't buy that he was on the wrong timezone or that he slept in.

Someone mentioned that the US fans were/are the worst in the world... completely disagree, all the coverage I watched I thought they were very courteous If anything I was expecting them to be much more boisterous all in all thought they got right behind there team and gave good banter to the Europeans.

PS: How anyone doesn't like the Ryder Cup after this weekend is beyond me.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

The official ryder cup thread..... - Page 9 Empty Re: The official ryder cup thread.....

Post by pedro Mon 01 Oct 2012, 12:08 pm

Gareth_NI wrote:
Would also be interested to know exactly what happened with Rory, I don't buy that he was on the wrong timezone or that he slept in.
I think Wozzy flew in the night before... Whistle

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 01 Oct 2012, 12:18 pm

pedro wrote:
Gareth_NI wrote:
Would also be interested to know exactly what happened with Rory, I don't buy that he was on the wrong timezone or that he slept in.

Yeah surely he has a team around him that tell him where he is meant to be and when?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 01 Oct 2012, 12:19 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
pedro wrote:
Gareth_NI wrote:

Yeah surely he has a team around him that tell him where he is meant to be and when?

That would take the spontaneity out of his love life.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 01 Oct 2012, 12:25 pm

Spontaneity crapped his pants when realising he only had 25 minutes to tee off I reckon...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 01 Oct 2012, 1:24 pm

Extremely well done Team Europe.

Congratulations and well played.

US playing not to lose and Europe playing to win on Sunday.

Fans? They were just fine. (I'll ignore the ill-informed posters; they seem to come out in droves on both sides of the pond in higher profile golf events like this.)

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 01 Oct 2012, 1:30 pm

Fans were brilliant.. best sporting event since the Olympics.. .... .....

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 01 Oct 2012, 1:38 pm

decent summer of sport for the UK Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 01 Oct 2012, 1:49 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:decent summer of sport for the UK Very Happy

Uk? Think Europe played the US, no?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 01 Oct 2012, 1:52 pm

In which uk is a part of. and when it came to the ryder cup a massive part of.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 01 Oct 2012, 1:55 pm

Does this still count as summer?!?

Am in disbelief as to what happened yesterday. Americans were (generally) playing so well Fri/Sat, Europeans (generally) poorly or worse. Captain Love seemed to be keeping his players happy yet sharp, and made what looked like a load of good decisions in terms of rotation. The opposite seemed true of the European camp.

Completely agree with what Davis said afterwards in terms of singles line-up - put hot players out up front, at least a couple of points should have been won, done deal by middle order. Jose Maria had no choice other than to front load.

I find it interesting that the situation was not too dissimilar to Valhalla 2008. The Euros in the top matches didn't perform that Sunday (or were outplayed by USA depending on your point of view), relegating the back end to meaningless rubbers so it wasn't too surprising that they mostly went red (in my view inflating the overall scoreline). Faldo consequently is heavily criticised, and continues to be. Olazabal will probably be considered a genius.

A thin dividing line...

What on earth happened though. Were the European and American breakfast orders accidentally switched?

Will Colin Montgomerie now stop going on about 3rd session in 2010 being the best ever in European golfing history?!?

Last edited by Skydriver on Mon 01 Oct 2012, 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 01 Oct 2012, 1:57 pm

Falso was just as good a captain. I do not suscribe to JMO being a hero or faldo being a failure

Theres only one IJP!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 01 Oct 2012, 2:16 pm

mystiroakey wrote:In which uk is a part of. and when it came to the ryder cup a massive part of.

Yeah so what though its about Europe winning. I will say though Ian Poulter was Europe's star player and deserves a few pints.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 01 Oct 2012, 2:19 pm

Not sure I follow. Uk is a part of europe GG

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 01 Oct 2012, 2:41 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Not sure I follow. Uk is a part of europe GG

Really?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 01 Oct 2012, 2:42 pm

so why shouldnt we celebrate or feel good about the win?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 01 Oct 2012, 2:50 pm

Does anyone describe themselves as being European. I certainly dont hear any Brits doing it, Id be suprised if anyone from anywhere in Europe used the term very often to describe themselves.
Its interesting really, could Europe as an entity be anymore divided than it is right now. Most of the countries outside the Eurozone resent those in it, the poor countries inside the Eurozone hate the rich ones and vice versa. If there was a referendum Id guess Britain would come out of Europe.....there is a single currency of sorts nobody wants....and the French and the Germans cant stand each other ever and couldnt be more politically different than they are right now. Just one big happy family.....not.

Last edited by Diggers on Mon 01 Oct 2012, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 01 Oct 2012, 2:55 pm

Well TBH i would be happy if it become uk and ire again.

However I am still happy to support us as the europeans, and its probally better from a longlevity and commerical perspective- but the fact is because the main players are british/irish- the others seem to be on the side lines abit..

But however split us europeans might seem- what about the ROW in the presedents cup!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:13 pm

The "Rory" story goes something like this.

He was watching the TV coverage which stated his tee off time as 12:25.

Unfortunately that time was Eastern time zone and Chicago is just in a wee blip on the time line which puts it in the Central Time Zone.

So, the TV coverage was correct it was just in a different time zone to the match.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:17 pm

Rory would have had a driver sent to his hotel by the organisers....do they not all stay in the same hotel?.......at a particular time. Presumably he would travel in with someone else, a PR, agent whoever, these guys are never on their own.
The idea he was in control of his own destiny to get to the course is laughable to be honest.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:24 pm

Diggers wrote:Rory would have had a driver sent to his hotel by the organisers....do they not all stay in the same hotel?.......at a particular time. Presumably he would travel in with someone else, a PR, agent whoever, these guys are never on their own.
The idea he was in control of his own destiny to get to the course is laughable to be honest.

This is pretty much what I was saying. Doesnt Mcilroy have a management team that looks after all logistics. Surely the only think he has to worry about is playing golf? He makes millions every year, surely he pays someone to organise his diary.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:28 pm

You can be as independant or as dependant as you want as a pro golfer.. They dont have to be mothered in the same way as a pro footballer does if they dont want to!

Kinda suprised he hadnt discussed what time he was meeting up with his caddy mind(which should have kick started the issue with the time zones!)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:32 pm

I be amazed if McIlroy wasnt pretty cosetted, coming onto the stage as a big name so soon would mean he literally never had to book budget flights or sort an intinerary like say a Westwood or a Poulter might have. Arranging the schedules of the very top guys who have lots of travelling, lots of sponsors commitments and charity work would be a full time job in itself. Its not like he was gonna just hail a cab or drive himself.
Something very odd cest la vie. All came out alright in the end.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:34 pm

mystiroakey wrote:You can be as independant or as dependant as you want as a pro golfer.. They dont have to be mothered in the same way as a pro footballer does if they dont want to!

Kinda suprised he hadnt discussed what time he was meeting up with his caddy mind(which should have kick started the issue with the time zones!)

Footballers are different because their club arranges travel arangements when on the road. The rest of the time they just have to show up at work (at the same place) on time like everyone else.

Golfers are always on the road so it would make sense for someone to manage their travel arrangements.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:35 pm

What would have actually happened IF Rory missed the tee time? Would the match have been forfeited to Bradley or would Bradley have played solo until Rory could join (with Rory loosing each completed hole in the process)?

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:38 pm

It seems very strange that golfers wouldnt just get down the club early to watch the others tee off in a ryder cup.. I dont see the need for someone else to arrange a pick up from his hotel without asking him(mcilroy) first what time he wanted to get to the golf course..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:39 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:You can be as independant or as dependant as you want as a pro golfer.. They dont have to be mothered in the same way as a pro footballer does if they dont want to!

Footballers are different because their club arranges travel arangements when on the road. The rest of the time they just have to show up at work (at the same place) on time like everyone else.

Golfers are always on the road so it would make sense for someone to manage their travel arrangements.

Fairly certain that Horizon would manage his normal/tour playing & travelling itinerary but no idea about the Ryder Cup, I always assumed the team would all stay together at a Hotel and travel together. If Horizon do make his arrangements at the Ryder Cup I still cant understand what happened, GMAC made it fine and he also uses Horizon?

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:40 pm

Gareth_NI wrote:What would have actually happened IF Rory missed the tee time? Would the match have been forfeited to Bradley or would Bradley have played solo until Rory could join (with Rory loosing each completed hole in the process)?

Cant the captains agree to change the order of play? I vaguely remember a change to the order of the foursomes? Surely some sort of agreement would have been made.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:44 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Gareth_NI wrote:What would have actually happened IF Rory missed the tee time? Would the match have been forfeited to Bradley or would Bradley have played solo until Rory could join (with Rory loosing each completed hole in the process)?

Cant the captains agree to change the order of play? I vaguely remember a change to the order of the foursomes? Surely some sort of agreement would have been made.

There was a change but that was to allow Rose 15 mins after the completion of the morning and beginning of the afternoon sessions so he wasn't playing 36 continuous holes... not because he oversleept/missed his wakeup call/alarm...or other Smile

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:44 pm

Doubt if Horizon are involved with the RC Itinerary............maybe the Euro Tour sub it out to Chubby !!

I think the "watching the golf channel" and thinking his time was 1 hour later is an urban myth. McIlroy didn't say that i believe.............

Cant understand they wouldn't al travel together though or at least in 2 or 3 shuttles.............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:46 pm

He may have been having an argument with the mrs or something.. There is no way if someone else was organising his travel they would have messed up.. Because the golfer is gonna decide on the morning or night before when he wants to get to the the club.. He would have told someone a time!

anyway its all good. Lets thank the state police!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:49 pm

mystiroakey wrote:He may have been having an argument with the mrs or something..

anyway its all good. Lets thank the stste police!

Argument spelt b o n k ........
Im not a fan of Wozza personally, but there is no denying she a better looking girl than he is a bloke.I preferred the Irish lass he ditched, she had a certain filthy look to her.....

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:52 pm

He does well thats for sure.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Mon 01 Oct 2012, 3:59 pm

Diggers wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:He may have been having an argument with the mrs or something..

anyway its all good. Lets thank the stste police!

Argument spelt b o n k ........
Im not a fan of Wozza personally, but there is no denying she a better looking girl than he is a bloke.I preferred the Irish lass he ditched, she had a certain filthy look to her.....

Who with? Wozza wasnt even there.... But agree with the Bird he ditched... Smashing set for a start.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Mon 01 Oct 2012, 4:00 pm

Apparently if he was (?) 5 minutes late or less he would have lost the first hole. More than that and he would have lost the match.

Last edited by MrsP on Mon 01 Oct 2012, 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 01 Oct 2012, 4:04 pm

MrsP wrote:Apparently if he was (?) 5 minutes late or less he would have lost the fist hole. More than that and he would have lost the match.

Whats a fist hole? Is that why he was late?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 01 Oct 2012, 4:55 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
MrsP wrote:Apparently if he was (?) 5 minutes late or less he would have lost the fist hole. More than that and he would have lost the match.

Let's not go there.... Whistle
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 01 Oct 2012, 5:12 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Which is sadly just what all the girls say.....

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 01 Oct 2012, 8:41 pm

Nearly as impressive a comeback as CL final 99. Not a bad nights viewing I guess. Wink
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 01 Oct 2012, 8:46 pm

Macs becoming a Ryder cup fan!! Very Happy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 01 Oct 2012, 8:47 pm

Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Which is sadly just what all the girls say.....
Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 01 Oct 2012, 9:45 pm

McLaren wrote:Nearly as impressive a comeback as CL final 99. Not a bad nights viewing I guess. Wink

With all the great sport that has been on offer this year I'm really bored of football. Seems such a one dimensional sport played and supported by numbskulls.

Couldn't even tell you who was in the top four of the EPL.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 01 Oct 2012, 10:29 pm

yeah me to SR. totally off footy at the moment

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9