The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official ryder cup thread.....

+53
bluestonevedder
slyadams
af73
Bob_the_Job
George1507
lorus59
Plunky
kwinigolfer
ryan86
Faldono1fan
LondonTiger
oldparwin
Corporalhumblebucket
Good Golly I'm Olly
GT350
Duty281
hend085
CJB
vinyl1
PJHolybloke
Gordy
Slowride
monty junior
JAS
Sand
Skerries
matelot golfer
shudofhita4iron
djlovesyou
TRUSSMAN66
Dave.
hogie
GSC
BlueCoverman
1GrumpyGolfer
Tiler76
barragan
EdWoodjr
mystiroakey
navyblueshorts
pedro
raycastleunited
incontinentia
Skydriver
Shotrock
dynamark
SmithersJones
Hibbz
John Cregan
Diggers
GunsGerms
super_realist
McLaren
57 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The official ryder cup thread..... - Page 5 Empty The official ryder cup thread.....

Post by McLaren Wed 26 Sep 2012, 2:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

or at least what it should look like if we ignore the over hyped nature of the event;

The Ryder cup will be contested over Medinah country clubs number 3 course where Tiger Woods has won two of his four PGA championships. This is a rather odd choice of venue for a nation so patriotic like America, as the clubhouse is styled on the headquarters of the terrorists. And we know how much the terrorists hate America, and vice versa? The fans won’t know whether to watch the golf or build bunkers in their back gardens. The invasion has started!

We can only hope however, that the importance of golf’s second biggest team exhibition match – the most important being the Tavistock – is not overshadowed by such politics. Although, politics are set to overshadow the performance of one British player competing this week. The finest golfer in all of the Queens land is set to declare his nationality as Greek, in the hope he will not have to compete in this Mickey Mouse event next time around.

The captains have only very inconsequential decisions to make during the week yet one of them has already arsed it up. Ollie has decided that wearing orange was the only way to stop young Rory defecting. The reasoning of course being that Rory will be supporting the Florida gators after he switches to the US full time.

The only other influence the captains have on the outcome of the match is in their decision of golf buggy driving style. The manner in which they and their VC’s maneuver the buggy around the course can set the tone for the way the team plays. At least I assume that’s what they are doing, as there is no other logical reason for driving around like a headless chicken trying to use a walkie talkie.

What the vice captains do when not trying to drive like a peacock would dance with its plumage is all a little vague. I wonder if they provide protection from the Ryder cup troll, aka monty. Any player suffering the misfortune of hearing this beast, which is so excitable around Ryder cup season, may never make sense of anything ever again.

I guess we cant forget that somehow this buffoon managed to win the thing, proving the ceremonial nature of the captains position. But who will win this time?

The yanks are likely to be spooked playing in the shadows of a minaret but the Europeans will have to cope with the only thing more vacuous than westwood, monty’s and Donald’s major trophy cabinets combined……. Paul McGinley. Have you ever heard the fool witter on during the sky coverage?

The deciding factor will of course be, something that would require more wasted thought on this over bloated charity for majorless European golfers.

There we have it, they level of seriousness with which you should view this event unless you are a man boobed fake Scottish bloke with a huge whole in your CV.

Last edited by McLaren on Thu 27 Sep 2012, 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

The official ryder cup thread..... - Page 5 Empty Re: The official ryder cup thread.....

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 7:27 pm

How do you know I'm not an expert? Presumptious?

Experts don't spend all their time posting on forums!

Skerries

Back to top Go down

The official ryder cup thread..... - Page 5 Empty Re: The official ryder cup thread.....

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 7:40 pm

Dont they..

Do you ever post without these presumptions dude?

Even the main man Lee westwood himself used to post on here abit..

Lets just chill it out and enjoy the golf. You can have your theory on Donald we can have ours. Just stop trying to win an argument with judgments against posters, stick to the golf.. Its good to get more posters on here. The more the merrier , The more different views the merrier.

Know I have made myself vomit ..

COME ON EUROPE!!

Not sure about this poults mcilroy pairing at all. Not sure if the vibe is right!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat 29 Sep 2012, 7:57 pm

I know it probably wouldnt have made much difference but why has Westwood played 3 times? i cant remember him making a single birdie and was absolutely terrible last week.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 7:59 pm

Lee posted in the BBC website.

If you look through the posts you'll see I was sticking to the golf, it was you who started the personal stuff. 11000+ posts doesn't make you an expert, quite the opposite in fact.

The point I made was simple, to win a major you need to have certain characteristics that are also required at the Ryder Cup this year. Stricker and Donald and one or two others are not at the match this year.

Poults is a gritty player, I like that. Hopefully he can kick McIlroy into action.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:00 pm

good the weeks before though. I mean the fact is he was playing- many wernt.. So we cant really go by form on a week where others wernt good enough to even make it!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:06 pm

Skerries wrote:Lee posted in the BBC website.

If you look through the posts you'll see I was sticking to the golf, it was you who started the personal stuff. 11000+ posts doesn't make you an expert, quite the opposite in fact.

The point I made was simple, to win a major you need to have certain characteristics that are also required at the Ryder Cup this year. Stricker and Donald and one or two others are not at the match this year.

Poults is a gritty player, I like that. Hopefully he can kick McIlroy into action.

Yes i know he posted on the original 606. That is kinda obvious. Most of us all hail from there

More presumptions i see. You have been making them from the start. I have not fallen to your level so please do not insinute that i have. I am just trying to mellow this out. Why does 11,000 posts make me a non expert?, what a random point you make. Still digging arnt you!

Your point was a very bad one that started this. You said doanld wasnt long enough here. Infact there are others on here with his length that are doing fine. Donald copes with his way of playing anywhere- and if he is good enough on the day- he is good enough.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:27 pm

Which three of Lawrie, Clarke, Baker-Finch and Cink have you played with Mysti mate?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowride Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:28 pm

this place is just like bbc 606 get a major or ryder cup and suddenly the experts are coming out of nowhere

probably all football fans

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:30 pm

none hibbz

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:33 pm

but i have been fortunate to play with a few tour pros. I dont wanna really get into that or who. he just rilled me up abit..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:37 pm

One 'l' in riled.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:38 pm

cheers for that.. Hibbz was obviously to late on that occasion!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:39 pm

But that was Skerrie's point wasn't it that there was a difference between how a major winner hits it and how the average/good tour pro hits it?

All he thought/thinks is that Donald isn't good enough to win a major and until the point at which Donald does he's dead right I'm afraid.

Why wouldn't you want to tell us who you've played with?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:40 pm

mystiroakey wrote:cheers for that.. Hibbz was obviously to late on that occasion!!

too late

Not that time. xx

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:48 pm

Hibbz, you were born a manager.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:50 pm

Hibbz wrote:But that was Skerrie's point wasn't it that there was a difference between how a major winner hits it and how the average/good tour pro hits it?

All he thought/thinks is that Donald isn't good enough to win a major and until the point at which Donald does he's dead right I'm afraid.

No the only point I didnt agree with initially was that he wasnt to short on this course.. He then preceded to say that donald will never win a major. I have no idea if he will or not. But he certainly has a chance to.. The reality is ian baker finch and paul lawie and many others(sadly mainly open winners are no different from plenty of 0 major dudes)- I have offcourse seem almost all the pros hit the ball at the open(4 occasions) and at wenty almost every year- plus walton heath when i was a kid!!- he insinuated that i hadnt ever seen a top tour pro hit the ball!!

Well the last time i did mention who i played with I got a load posters saying it was BS. Probally best to keep certain things to oneselves!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:54 pm

Hibbz wrote:But that was Skerrie's point wasn't it that there was a difference between how a major winner hits it and how the average/good tour pro hits it?

I would have thought the defining difference between a major winner and a good tour pro is not in how they hit the ball but more what babble (or lack of it) goes on in those vital 6 inches between their ears over 72 holes.

There were plenty that thought exactly the same about Andy Murray before he converted last month, a lot of them will now have indigestion with all the humble pie they've had to eat recently. I just find it a bit of a nonsense statement to write somebody off that clearly has the talent to convert a big one. Whether he actually will or not (like Monty) is a question you cant really reliably answer in the negative until he's way on the wrong side of 40 unless he does it or retires before that.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:55 pm

Anyway i have had enough of this.

Welcome to the boards Skeries!

Europe arnt out of this just yet.. Things are coming back abit to us! No game is out of reach

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:57 pm

mystiroakey wrote:the last time i did mention who i played with I got a load posters saying it was BS.

but by all accounts we'll all believe its BS unless you tell us who... catch 22 mysti Laugh

mystiroakey wrote:Probally best to keep certain things to oneselves!

there, even took care of your response... now that's management Whistle
thumbsup

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sat 29 Sep 2012, 8:59 pm

Olazabal attempts to inspire his team have failed. All this Seve stuff is a bit over the top. He has Seve everywhere. Silhouttes of him on the players gear, dressing the players up in Seve colours, having the players watch videos of Seve etc. As good and popular as Seve was, not every player was as close to him as Olazabal or feels they have to win the Ryder Cup for him! Olazabal has turned it all too personal with his self indulgence. Davis Love on the other hand seems to have brought the best out of his team by reminding them to just be themselves and work for each other.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:03 pm

westy junior open-

one hole with monty on my home course- he played in front of us in some event someone organised. and we played through.

Many euro pro tour players..

Zane scotland. junior golf matchs and on another few occasions.I heard he was posting on here for abit as well!!

gary player has also given me a 10 minute lecture about how lucky i was to be playing at wentworth (juniour open) after he saw me smoking a spliff in the veranda- I honked it down in speedy time!

Met Nick faldo, and he gave me a few tips- as he was a friend of my late god father.

Is that enough. Know i have beared my soul- Care to mention who you lot of met/played with?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:07 pm

"Welcome to the boards Skeries!"

It's "Skerries".

Thank you. Having a joust on a forum doesn't make us bad people.

C'mon Europe!

BTW, I'm not English but I'm married to one.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:08 pm

Gordy wrote:Olazabal attempts to inspire his team have failed. All this Seve stuff is a bit over the top. He has Seve everywhere. Silhouttes of him on the players gear, dressing the players up in Seve colours, having the players watch videos of Seve etc. As good and popular as Seve was, not every player was as close to him as Olazabal or feels they have to win the Ryder Cup for him! Olazabal has turned it all too personal with his self indulgence. Davis Love on the other hand seems to have brought the best out of his team by reminding them to just be themselves and work for each other.

Yep, that's exactly why the European players are taking more shots than the USA players.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:14 pm

F@ck me Mysti,

So you've played in a tournament that Westwood played in when he was 17/18, you played one hole with Montgomerie by chance and several failed/failing pro's but claim to have played with "a few tour pros"

to use your terminology, drop me out.

I've played two holes with Adam Gee (he wouldn't remember) and several rounds with someone who can't make a cut for love nor money on the Europro. Can I claim the same?

Oh and I played in a match against Zane Scotland's Dad and in a match with, though not against, James Heath's Dad.

Last edited by Hibbz on Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:16 pm

Gordy wrote:Olazabal attempts to inspire his team have failed. All this Seve stuff is a bit over the top. He has Seve everywhere. Silhouttes of him on the players gear, dressing the players up in Seve colours, having the players watch videos of Seve etc. As good and popular as Seve was, not every player was as close to him as Olazabal or feels they have to win the Ryder Cup for him! Olazabal has turned it all too personal with his self indulgence. Davis Love on the other hand seems to have brought the best out of his team by reminding them to just be themselves and work for each other.

Hmm, you could have a point Gordy but lets see how things unfold this afternoon. I just think the Yanks have played exceptionally well, especially on the greens, infact I'm beginning to wonder if they've got microchips in their balls that track automatically to the cup.

I also think Love has had the advantage of having more of his team on form. With some team members clearly not on form it becomes more difficult for Olly to get his pairings right and if Olly has done anything wrong it's in the pairings and who to rest when.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:18 pm

good stories mysti - did gp belt you one?!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:18 pm

Claim away mate...

I admit to embellishing the truth abit!!!!

The best was meeting Gary Player high as a kite. He is a legend.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:19 pm

I made the same point earlier. You need to 'not care' to play good golf. Of course that's not really possible in a Ryder Cup but DL III understands the benefit of staying relaxed. He's a student of Dr Bob I think.

Are we sure that Butch Harmon really means it when he says "get in" on Sky for a European putt?

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:23 pm

barragan wrote:good stories mysti - did gp belt you one?!

As i walked back through the lounge this old dude pulled me over and sat me down next to player.... The most random experience of my life.. But no he didnt whack me..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:36 pm

Were you who Gary Player was talking about when he said lots of players were on drugs Mysti?

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 9:52 pm

He thought I was smoking a cigarette.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:20 pm

It's currently looking like it's going to be 11-5 to USA at the end of the day. If so when was the last time Europe was so far behind going into the final day? USA will only need 3 1/2 from the singles. Can we see them blowing that lead?

Disappointing considering the players we have.

What's gone wrong?

Am I too early to condemn them to the loss?

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:36 pm

I've never seen so many putts finish short of the hole in my life. These players can drive a 300 yard green and yet they can't knock the ball 12 feet across a green?

The answer to Europe's problem is simple, stop being chicken-shoites and hit the feckin ball at the hole.

I'm English-European, and this is killing me, I love the Ryder Cup, but I love it most when Europe win it.

I'm not loving the Ryder Cup much this year.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:57 pm

The putting has got worse over the 4 sessions. As you say they're leaving too many birdie putts short even when their partner has already made the par. Occasionally over compensating by banging the putt.

It's happening to them all. They've lost it I fear.

Last edited by Skerries on Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:04 pm

Can't see a way back tbh... but there's a little bit of hope.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:10 pm

Kuchar's tree shot.

Priceless

We've all done it!

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:20 pm

I've hit one waaay smaller than that Skerries, does that make me a better golfer? Headscratch Laugh

If Europe can come out of this 3 down, there's a chance tomorrow, but a small one. My singles selection would be:

1 Poulter
2 Rose
3 Donald
4 McIlroy
5 Colsaerts
6 Lawrie
7 Kaymer
8 Molinari
9 Hanson
10 Westwood
11 MacDowell
12 Garcia

PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:23 pm

Could sneak a 9-7.

Fingers crossed

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:40 pm

91/2 - 61/2 the best possible now.

More likely a 10 - 6.

8 singles wins tomorrow? Unlikely, but you never know. Olazabal has to pack the front end with winners tomorrow, Watson will almost certainly lead out so Poulter is the only European likely to have the experience, confidence and crowd-whipping ability to keep him quiet.

It doesn't look good, tbh.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:46 pm

Colsaerts an inch away from chipping it in at the 18th, just about sums things up. The yanks haven't left the margins quite that wide.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:51 pm

Poultry doing the biz again..back to square

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 29 Sep 2012, 11:52 pm

Thats a long chip pj... full wedge mate.. lipped out spinning back.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:02 am

My singles line-up :

1 McIlroy
2 Colsaerts
3 Garcia
4 Poulter
5 Rose
6 MacDowell
7 Molinari
8 Lawrie
9 Donald
10 Kaymer
11 Hanson
12 Westwood

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:03 am

Spectacular golf when it matters from Donald..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by vinyl1 Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:26 am

Anyone watching Poulter? He is unbelievable.

I'd like to see a Poulter/Bradley match tomorrow......they'd probably both self-combust by the 10th hole.

vinyl1

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:33 am

If I was Olzabal, for tomorrow I'd go

Poults
Molinari
Mcdowell
Donald
Coelsarts
Hanson
Kaymer
Garcia
Lawrie
Westwood
Mcllroy
Rose

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:33 am

Donald 64.. tiger also tore it up. Poultry is a different league in this format..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:33 am

mystiroakey wrote:Thats a long chip pj... full wedge mate.. lipped out spinning back.

I know Mystir, I was being a little bit parochial when I posted that, the fact is that the USA have made some unbelievable shots and holed out from just about everywhere, Colsaerts almost chipped it in but ended up spinning the ball back 10 feet from the hole.

It's small margins, for sure, but I am an eternal optimist and I will wake up tomorrow believing the Yanks' luck has run out. OK

Poulter is on fire and HAS to lead Europe out tomorrow.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:35 am

Cjb we have to front load.. all 6 brits and ni need to take the first 6 spots then Garcia..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:38 am

I'd be confident the first four have enough to take games. I do think having the two down the bottom will be good if it comes down to it. Gotta hope some of the middle games can go our way

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next