The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official ryder cup thread.....

+53
bluestonevedder
slyadams
af73
Bob_the_Job
George1507
lorus59
Plunky
kwinigolfer
ryan86
Faldono1fan
LondonTiger
oldparwin
Corporalhumblebucket
Good Golly I'm Olly
GT350
Duty281
hend085
CJB
vinyl1
PJHolybloke
Gordy
Slowride
monty junior
JAS
Sand
Skerries
matelot golfer
shudofhita4iron
djlovesyou
TRUSSMAN66
Dave.
hogie
GSC
BlueCoverman
1GrumpyGolfer
Tiler76
barragan
EdWoodjr
mystiroakey
navyblueshorts
pedro
raycastleunited
incontinentia
Skydriver
Shotrock
dynamark
SmithersJones
Hibbz
John Cregan
Diggers
GunsGerms
super_realist
McLaren
57 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The official ryder cup thread..... - Page 6 Empty The official ryder cup thread.....

Post by McLaren Wed 26 Sep 2012, 2:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

or at least what it should look like if we ignore the over hyped nature of the event;

The Ryder cup will be contested over Medinah country clubs number 3 course where Tiger Woods has won two of his four PGA championships. This is a rather odd choice of venue for a nation so patriotic like America, as the clubhouse is styled on the headquarters of the terrorists. And we know how much the terrorists hate America, and vice versa? The fans won’t know whether to watch the golf or build bunkers in their back gardens. The invasion has started!

We can only hope however, that the importance of golf’s second biggest team exhibition match – the most important being the Tavistock – is not overshadowed by such politics. Although, politics are set to overshadow the performance of one British player competing this week. The finest golfer in all of the Queens land is set to declare his nationality as Greek, in the hope he will not have to compete in this Mickey Mouse event next time around.

The captains have only very inconsequential decisions to make during the week yet one of them has already arsed it up. Ollie has decided that wearing orange was the only way to stop young Rory defecting. The reasoning of course being that Rory will be supporting the Florida gators after he switches to the US full time.

The only other influence the captains have on the outcome of the match is in their decision of golf buggy driving style. The manner in which they and their VC’s maneuver the buggy around the course can set the tone for the way the team plays. At least I assume that’s what they are doing, as there is no other logical reason for driving around like a headless chicken trying to use a walkie talkie.

What the vice captains do when not trying to drive like a peacock would dance with its plumage is all a little vague. I wonder if they provide protection from the Ryder cup troll, aka monty. Any player suffering the misfortune of hearing this beast, which is so excitable around Ryder cup season, may never make sense of anything ever again.

I guess we cant forget that somehow this buffoon managed to win the thing, proving the ceremonial nature of the captains position. But who will win this time?

The yanks are likely to be spooked playing in the shadows of a minaret but the Europeans will have to cope with the only thing more vacuous than westwood, monty’s and Donald’s major trophy cabinets combined……. Paul McGinley. Have you ever heard the fool witter on during the sky coverage?

The deciding factor will of course be, something that would require more wasted thought on this over bloated charity for majorless European golfers.

There we have it, they level of seriousness with which you should view this event unless you are a man boobed fake Scottish bloke with a huge whole in your CV.

Last edited by McLaren on Thu 27 Sep 2012, 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

The official ryder cup thread..... - Page 6 Empty Re: The official ryder cup thread.....

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:40 am

This is it, if Poulter sinks this it's still alive, if not - forget it.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

The official ryder cup thread..... - Page 6 Empty Re: The official ryder cup thread.....

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:43 am

Oh my days!

That's it! I'm waking up thinking game fecking on!

The singles line up will be absolutely crucial, Olazabal has to front load it with some solid experienced players coming up in the last three.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:46 am

It's still alive.

What a result if they pull it off tomorrow.

Poulter, legendary performance.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:51 am

It's not just the win. Its given the whole team confidence. Poultry redefines the word bottle.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 30 Sep 2012, 1:13 am

1 Poulter - the best golfer in the world (according to Poulter which is good enough for me) and will be up against Watson.

2 Rose - steady, solid grinder that will make his opponent (Mickelson?) play high stakes for birdies.

3 Donald - Mr Uber-Cool, possibly up against Webb and will not be put off by the crowds antics.

4. Rory - come on wee Mac, you can smash this course when all you have to worry about is your own ball. World No.1, it doesn't matter who you're playing.

5. Lawrie - has to make up for his missing 12 years, has played decent golf and some of his putts need to land. he should be playing against maybe Stricker or Woods, can beat either of them on present form.

6. Colsaerts, single-handedly stood between Europe and a USA whitewash in yesterday's fourballs, eats fire and pishes ice, was inches away from winning a half this afternoon after having an off day with the putter.

7. Kaymer - he hasn't featured much, but he's German. Give him a sniff of victory and he'll be as sound as the Deutschmark under pressure.

8. Molinari - Italian, only too willing to follow a German. Whistle

9. Hanson - underplayed and so far a bit of an unknown, had a bad day Friday but should be looking to make amends, by this stage it will be game over or definitely game on. It's totally unlikely to be decided by game 9 so probably the best slot for him.

10. Westwood - has hardly contributed other than by following his partner around 18 holes, you could count his birdies on the fingers of Captain Hooks' bad hand, but that has to change as he's such a dependable golfer and copes well under pressure, which, if Europe are still in it, will be massive at this stage.

11. G-Mac - has "won" the Ryder Cup before with a putt, and could be required to do it again. THE go-to man in a pinch.

12. Garcia - if anyone is going to do it for Seve in the navy and white, here he is.

It will be a massive day in Ryder Cup history if Europe can pull this off, but Love has thought carefully about his pairings and produced some practically unbeatable golf. Tomorrow it's all about the individuals, one player, one ball, one course. There is no "get out of jail card" tomorrow, and I'm pretty certain the European golfers have made just about every mistake possible over the last two days; hopefully, they've learned some massive lessons that the yanks have yet to encounter.

If Europe get out of the blocks early and stick 5 of the first 6 points on the board, the Yanks will be sweating cobs, and the crowd will be quiet.

It's a long shot, but it's not out of the question. It's been done before, but not away from home.

Good luck Europe, play as well as you can, be bold, make sure you don't finish short of the hole, and do it for Seve. OK
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 30 Sep 2012, 1:18 am

PJH, hope Ollie is reading. You just did his job. Europe will do a clean sweep.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 30 Sep 2012, 1:42 am

It's just my opinion Pedro, but Ollie has to front load his singles to repair the damage, you can guarantee that the Yanks will try to get there fustest with the mostest, so by match 8 it will be either be over or massively game on.

Come on Europe, Seve expects... notworthy
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 30 Sep 2012, 7:46 am

This winning it for Seve stuff, why? They did that last time out when the guy was alive to see it, that's what mattered, not when you are 6 foot under and oblivious to the whole thing.
Touch of the Lady Di syndromes going on as far as In concerned.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 7:55 am

yeah i agree with that. A load of sentimental bs..

Your normally pretty good at picking the rise and fall of a golfer Diggs.

However in poulters case!!

Come on Diggs. Admit he is a legend!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 30 Sep 2012, 8:01 am

He's a RC legend mate no doubting that, thrives on it. He just needs to take some of that into his normal week in week out game. That's the problem but he's not the only one who's had that problem.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 8:06 am

thumbsup

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 30 Sep 2012, 8:23 am

Or to put it another way , a great RC record should be the icing on the cake of a great career rather than what actually defines a great career if you know what I mean. But that's obviously based on me not being a huge RC fan.
No doubting that the guy has been awesome this week though, hats off to him and Bradley.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 8:28 am

He is just a top matchplay golfer in my eyes. Also since his illness earlier this year he has got better and better- Had some good major finishes as well. I just love his attitude, he is a massive credit to the game IMO.

I am not normally a fan boy of anything- But when it comes to poults.....

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 30 Sep 2012, 8:33 am

You heart him, it's fair enough, think you either love him...or you don't !!!
He deserves some love for this week though , realistically probably in a lost cause but at least it's still possible if not probable.
What are you up so early for anyway on a Sunday, my excuse is kids, about to go swimming which is actually good fun in a very warm kids pool.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 8:36 am

I admit it.. I do...

I am allways up early.. Doesnt matter what time i go to sleep(2:00 am last night) I am up latest 7:30 every day,

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 30 Sep 2012, 8:37 am

7.30 is a major lie in for me these days but not through choice sadly. Pesky brats.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 8:40 am

Well i envy ya. Trying to produce one of them brats myself!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 30 Sep 2012, 8:43 am

Be careful what you wish for. Only kidding, serious life changers though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 8:47 am

Its that piece of the puzzle that I am missing!!

well that and an aston martin

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 30 Sep 2012, 8:49 am

The Aston would be cheaper.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 8:50 am

Very Happy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Sun 30 Sep 2012, 10:20 am

The big problem with frontloading to get some blue on board early is that come squeaky bum time (if we even do win top matches) we have kaymer Hanson westy molinari playing... All out of form when your confidence and form is tested to the max

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sun 30 Sep 2012, 10:21 am

Today the European team need to get into their own individual zones. Let's hope JMO has now learnt that riling up emotion only works for a few. The likes of McIlroy especially need a clear head to play well.

If they all play their normal games then they might just pull of the biggest come back I can remember.

Emotion is draining. Keep it for after the win.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 10:28 am

hend085 wrote:The big problem with frontloading to get some blue on board early is that come squeaky bum time (if we even do win top matches) we have kaymer Hanson westy molinari playing... All out of form when your confidence and form is tested to the max

it is however our only chance IMO. westy should be fine anyway..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 30 Sep 2012, 10:34 am

3 little words: Come on Europe!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 30 Sep 2012, 10:37 am

I'm not going to gloat....

But take my advice...next captain make it someone more animated and charismatic.....

Bjorn or Clarke......for me......

I refer you back to my thread..too many lightweights.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 10:40 am

As I said previously- Ian poulter playing captain untill he cant play- then captain till his deimise

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sun 30 Sep 2012, 10:44 am

Next Captain needs to understand 'people' - McGinley for me.

Perhaps, in general, major winners are too self-centred to manage well.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 10:52 am

I dont think there is much to manage in fairness- Allow the players to manage who they want to play with- Make the sure the match ups are good mates, dont worry so much about styles of play, thats it. All a captain has to do is allow that to happen, play the best groups and not play players just for the experience and sake of it..

Not playing poulter 4 times was criminal.. Pairing him him with rors was pointless. Rors should have been the driving force in his own pairing.. Love not playing Pmick and badley was also ridiculas!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 30 Sep 2012, 10:54 am

Besides putt for them, theres not a lot Olly can do in fairness. These guys are professionals.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Sun 30 Sep 2012, 11:45 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm not going to gloat....

But take my advice...next captain make it someone more animated and charismatic.....

Bjorn or Clarke......for me......

I refer you back to my thread..too many lightweights.....

Why would you gloat? You picked up many points so far?
Also DL3 has about as much charisma and animation as ollies big toe

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun 30 Sep 2012, 11:52 am

mystiroakey wrote:As I said previously- Ian poulter playing captain untill he cant play- then captain till his deimise
poulter would be picking himself well into his seventies if that was the case.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:04 pm

Fine by need ban..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:13 pm

I can see Europe getting some early points on the board today , but US will win most of the matches in the bottom half. Too many players out of form eg westwood

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 12:16 pm

I will put my neck on the line and say west is a cert to win..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun 30 Sep 2012, 1:40 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

and not a shirt lifter... Whistle

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sun 30 Sep 2012, 2:27 pm

JMO has blown it. Its not often a Ryder Cup captain can win a Ryder Cup but he can can have a big part in losing it. As with Faldo 4 years ago, JMO individual touch just hasnt worked. The Ryder Cup is already a highly charged, pressure cooker atmosphere especially when playing away. Obsessing with Seve and constantly delivering this to the players has only increased the pressure on the players. when JMO should have been looking to reduce it. By all accounts he also lost the rag with the players after day 1 dishing out "hairdryer" treatment. How is this going to help? The team was only 5-3 down and hanging in ther against a U.S side firing on all cylinders. There was still plenty of points up for grabs. Was berating the players and creating a panic situation that early really going to help? In terms of the Ryder Cup, history seems to suggest that players and teams do better when they are relaxed, having fun and embracing the spirit and passion of the Ryder Cup. DLIII appears to have understood this. JMO I think has tried to generate passion in his team but obsessing with his now deceased best friend and berating his own players seems to have just created an uncomfortable situation in an already hostile environment. Credit to the U.S who have played better, they may well have won regardless of who captained Europe, but I think JMO has go it wrong like Faldo did 4 years ago and played right into the U.S hands. Only for Poulter, who always gets up for the Ryder Cup, this one could have been a real walloping (still might!).

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 30 Sep 2012, 2:51 pm

Would Monty have faired better than Faldo or Olly if he hadn't had the huge advantage of a home crowd. The Yanks are clearly pretty strong at home these days.
Maybe RC's should be played on neutral ground, would become pretty dull if the home team wins every time.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 30 Sep 2012, 3:16 pm

Hope Europe stick it to those Yanks today.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by vinyl1 Sun 30 Sep 2012, 5:10 pm

NBC has just reported that McIlroy is stuck in traffic 20 minutes before his tee time. He has picked up a police escort, so will probably make it.

vinyl1

Back to top Go down

Post by vinyl1 Sun 30 Sep 2012, 5:16 pm

McIlroy's car just pulled up 8 minutes before his tee time. He jumped out and ran into the clubhouse.

Last edited by vinyl1 on Sun 30 Sep 2012, 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling!)

vinyl1

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 30 Sep 2012, 5:32 pm

Good start for Europe, Donald one up on Watson after 2.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 30 Sep 2012, 5:50 pm

2 up after 3 now.

European putts are dropping today, makes a nice change.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sun 30 Sep 2012, 5:51 pm

Gordy wrote:JMO has blown it. Its not often....

Agree, think it is understandable though.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 5:53 pm

Looking good so far lads... grid start for Europe

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Skerries Sun 30 Sep 2012, 5:53 pm

Pressure is on USA now. Perhaps we have a slim chance.

Skerries

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 30 Sep 2012, 6:06 pm

It's a lot quieter out on the course... Whistle
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 30 Sep 2012, 6:46 pm

It will be PJ, the American fans are very fickle. Good start this for Europe, but a long long way to go.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Sun 30 Sep 2012, 6:59 pm

The USA look to be creaking a little under some early pressure. You'd still back them to win it from here, but you never know.

If they were to pull it off, this would surely be the greatest comeback in the history of the cup. The USA have clawed back a four point deficit on singles day before, but that was at home.

Europe giving it everything.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 30 Sep 2012, 7:04 pm

Well one things for sure. We have a chance.. west to hole the winner

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next